It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:30 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
It didn't actually happen in kos.

Like, it wasn't accidental.

I told them all to raid other groups and to raid forums.

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:30 pm 

The point of raiding in kos was to blatantly harass other sections with spam. It wasn't a spilling over so much as individuals who didn't like anyone else in the community.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:31 pm 

We had fun in kos, yes, which was its primary purpose, but then we went against that purpose.

The parts of kos that were good were the parts where we didn't raid.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:36 pm 

I see we're dragging down the names of good wholesome communities now. Lovely what this has turned into.

It has been mentioned that having a subforum dedicated to spam creates spillover. I'd love to see some data on this alleged spillover that occurs. Since it apparently has happened to such an extent that even considering a spam subforum is a terrible idea, I'm sure there must be a lot of evidence to back this up.

On this issue of whether it should be visible/invisible/opt-in if it exists, visible is really the only way to go.

9:02 AM - Mown: Honestly though most anime characters don't look that anime.
4:06 AM: Grue: you can't put all ur problems on enchantments

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:25 pm 

Hey man, the wizards community was not a good community at all, in any section of the site.

NGA is infinitely better.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:22 pm 

A few questions :
What was wrong with using the "What do you want to talk about" thread in the first place? Was it because you (general you) didn't start it or was it just the needs to bump your meaningless post count?

Has any one actual been driven off due to what is going down in the OTR?

What's wrong with using alternate means of communicating pointless spam like Steam chat,twitter,facebook etc?

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon wrote:
The secret of this format is in not breaking it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:23 pm 

What's wrong with using alternate means of communicating pointless discussion of life topics like Steam chat, twitter, facebook, etc?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:01 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Niklor wrote:
I see we're dragging down the names of good wholesome communities now. Lovely what this has turned into.

It has been mentioned that having a subforum dedicated to spam creates spillover. I'd love to see some data on this alleged spillover that occurs. Since it apparently has happened to such an extent that even considering a spam subforum is a terrible idea, I'm sure there must be a lot of evidence to back this up.

the only examples I'm aware of of practically unregulated spam sections within larger forum communities are KoS and the OTT, both of which were infamous for raid behavior.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:12 pm 

deadpoet wrote:

Hakeem in this thread?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:21 pm 

Identity: Female
deadpoet wrote:
A few questions :
What was wrong with using the "What do you want to talk about" thread in the first place? Was it because you (general you) didn't start it or was it just the needs to bump your meaningless post count?

What's wrong with using alternate means of communicating pointless spam like Steam chat,twitter,facebook etc?

it was because i made the thread with the intention of narrating all of the minor details of my life and thought that i would disrupt people if i did it in a thread that was being used.

steam chat and twitter don't have threaded posts. I could use facebook in theory but I don't really know anybody that uses facebook or how to get involved in a community there. NGA is my home.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:25 pm 

razorborne wrote:
the only examples I'm aware of of practically unregulated spam sections within larger forum communities are KoS and the OTT, both of which were infamous for raid behavior.

I don't see that as so much spilling out as pouring out. It was intended to function that way, at least for KoS. Not sure about OTT.

But if all the spilling out is only the fact that people chose to raid other forums, that's easy enough to prevent. Tell people not to. The notion of raiding other subforums is something I can easily agree is unwanted, but the fact is that it's no reason to prevent the creation of a separate subforum off offtopic where people can post their little thoughts or make their joke threads.

9:02 AM - Mown: Honestly though most anime characters don't look that anime.
4:06 AM: Grue: you can't put all ur problems on enchantments

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:26 pm 

I don't think off topic forums innately have a propensity for raid behaviour.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:49 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Niklor wrote:
razorborne wrote:

I don't see that as so much spilling out as pouring out. It was intended to function that way, at least for KoS. Not sure about OTT.

But if all the spilling out is only the fact that people chose to raid other forums, that's easy enough to prevent. Tell people not to. The notion of raiding other subforums is something I can easily agree is unwanted, but the fact is that it's no reason to prevent the creation of a separate subforum off offtopic where people can post their little thoughts or make their joke threads.

sure, the mods can just say not to do that, but given that every example of the concept I can think of has resulted in that sort of behavior down the line, it seems a lot simpler to just not give that sort of thing a place to grow, especially considering that I don't see the ability to use the forum as a twitter surrogate as a particularly valuable outcome. there are risks involved, and given that you have plenty of other places to spam available to you I don't see a lot of reward, so why bother giving the inch that has, historically, almost always led to the taking of miles?

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:19 pm 

every forum i've been to has had an off topic or spam forum and KoS and 4chan's /b/ are the only ones i've seen that have done raiding. I hadn't seen OTT involved in any sort of behaviour like that since I joined the wizards forum but I assume they were more trouble at some point in the past. I think that the raiding issues lied within a few particular individuals and had nothing to do with the content of the forums those individuals participated in.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:41 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
I liked raiding but I am not sure if I remember ever doing it. I know that even when we didn't have all these spam topics we had individuals in the community that made the community unpleasant to be in sometimes. And we still have some of those people. I am not sure having a spam room would really make it worse. We would need more active mods though.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:43 pm 

Identity: Human
mjack33 wrote:
deadpoet wrote:

Hakeem in this thread?

There is also a reason I've pretty much only posted to mjack's threads recently. I haven't even bothered reading the OP in half of the new threads because the recent trend has been inanity that I can see coming from a mile away.

I am also going to second squinty_eyes in saying "you do realize it's not what you're saying, but how you're saying it, right?".

E.G.

So, yeah, I kind of stopped by for the same reason Hakeem did: to add more credence to one side's arguments.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:49 pm 
Former Staff

Identity: Akki
LilyStorm wrote:
We would need more active mods though.

This is another active concern among the GobOs that we have already begun discussing, but we are not prepared to make an official announcement about plans for that. Just know that GobO_Lazarus has taken on their role as a mod, as of about sixteen days ago. We hope that his appearance can foster us some good will that we are working on improving the forums as quickly as we are able, additional mods included. With that said, we will make announcements about staffing when we have something to announce, thank you all for your continued patience.

As for the OTR, thank you for your input, it is valued. Please continue the discussion, as every point of view helps us to understand the needs of the community at large.

Code of Conduct

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:55 pm 

Look man, I think it's a bit unfair for you to force people to post how you want to.

I don't format essays when I post, my posts are barely cohesive as it is, I post organically and just say what's on my mind.

I'm never going to change in that regard so I'm pretty sure you have to deal with it unless a policy is in place that forces me to edit posts.

I think a problem is that we expect different things out of a forum and I don't really see this debate going anywhere.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:59 pm 

I'm never going to change in that regard so I'm pretty sure you have to deal with it unless a policy is in place that forces me to edit posts.

Isn't the point that there is a policy in place for this?
Last I checked "posting in a thread multiple times in succession" is against the code of conduct.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:04 pm 
Former Staff

Identity: Akki
some people want this forum to be a professional, clean extension of WotC (but better run), with somewhat strict moderation, limits on content, and a positive general image. the want it to be a community that is nice, welcoming and accessible. they want their moderators to be politicians: friendly, polite and detached.

I do apologize if I come off as detached, though I do strive for friendly and polite. The usual process for mods posting in these threads is that we discuss how we want to come off as a whole and then someone posts their response. Currently, my responses in this thread have been 100% my own for the sake of attempting a bit of transparency without crossing a line with the other mods. I'm sorry if that's been inadequate for you all, but I wanted you to know that we're trying to find a good middle ground for everyone. Maybe we are politicians in a way, but finding that balance for all the users so people don't become isolated is difficult when there are many strong personalities all pulling for things to go different directions.

Code of Conduct

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next