It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anime
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:04 pm 

Holy hell Shana Final. This was great. A lot of shows aspire to being epics, but few of them pull it off nearly as well. It's not perfect; some of the climax, while awesome, can be a little bit hard to follow at times, and it certainly wouldn't work as stand-alone so you've got to get through Second to get here. In total there are 76 episodes of Shana, making it the longest anime I've watched (provided you count FMA and FMA Brotherhood as separate) but it was worth it. I didn't enjoy every minute, but I'm glad I got here.

I'll probably be wrapping up Planet With in the next couple days as well. So far I've been... pleasantly surprised, but only because I had really low expectations going in.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:28 pm 

Identity: Male
I quite enjoyed Planet With. I should probably write that up Guess I should do something about FLCL too, but those last 2 episodes left me not knowing what to think.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:32 pm 

Finished Planet With today Overall, I really liked it. I'm not sure why it got a bad rap when it was first coming out... okay, that's a lie, people probably washed out at around Episode 2 when it looked like it was going to be cheesy and repetitive in equal parts. In the end... it was cheesy, but it was also really heartfelt at times. It was mostly a fun sort of show, with enough insanity strung together well enough to carry through, but when it went for the heavier stuff, it did so in a way that allowed it to land all the same. I think the best element is that the secondary characters were given decent weight, with regards to their struggles and pain.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:13 pm 

Huh, I never thought Planet With would have had a bad rap I thought it was relatively unknown, but that's quite a different issue.
Those mech designs looked so very good. I found myself wishing the camera would just linger on them for another second or two.
Kumashiro is the best character in the show and I will judo any who disagree.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:24 am 

If you guys liked Planet With, I would highly recommend reading the author's earlier works. Specifically Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer (Hoshi no Samidare) has a lot of similarities, but is also pretty distinct from Planet With. Good supporting characters, a fun subversion of sailor moon/monster of the week settings, and the signature mix of absurdity and heartfelt struggle you have seen.

Unrelated, the new anime season has Zombieland Saga, a surprisingly fun commentary on the idol industry. A mysterious, obnoxious man resurrects a LEGENDARY courtesan, a LEGENDARY 80's idol, a LEGENDARY idol of 10 years ago, a LEGENDARY biker gang girl, a LEGENDARY child actress, a highschool girl of 10 years ago, and THE LEGENDARY TAE YAMADA as zombies in order to save the dwindling prefecture of Saga. (What is legendary about Tae Yamada? He never says.) (How did he raise them as zombies? HAVEN'T YOU SEEN A ZOMBIE MOVIE????)

There's only 2 episodes so far, but they are amazing. The first has a heavy metal concert, the second has a rap battle. If nothing else, look up Zombieland Saga rap battle on youtube.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:00 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I'm not really sure where you frequent where Planet With had a bad reputation, considering it was, as YingLung mentioned, made by a mangaka with a pretty solid track record under a very solid production company in J.C.Staff. Not that Biscuit Hammer ever spoke to me, but it's well regarded from what I know.

Can second Zombieland Zaga being pretty amusing, although I've got some gripes with certain parts of it that sour the experience from time to time. Bunny Girl-senpai is my personal favorite show though, I like the character interactions between the two main characters in it.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:01 am 

Is anyone watching My Hero Academia? I just recently got turned on to this anime and it blew my mind. I love it!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:36 pm 

I kinda lost interest at the beginning of the Sasuke retrieval arc, but I hear it is pretty good.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:57 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

YingLung wrote:
Sasuke

you what

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:26 am 

You know, when the villains capture the main character's rival, and so now the main character and friends have to go and rescue him. Apparently Hunter x Hunter did the same plot element before Naruto, but I haven't watched it, so I call this sequence of events "the Sasuke retrieval arc".

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:32 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

I thought you were implying that Sasuke and Bakugo were similar characters, which despite not having Naruto, I'm pretty sure he isn't.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:53 pm 

I know very little about Naruto, but I can say almost certainly that Bakugo is a better character than Sasuke. You can interpret that 2 ways. Both are valid.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:10 pm 

It's probable. Low hurdles and all that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:39 pm 

The 3 things I know about Naruto:
  • THe main guy's name is Naruto.
  • Everybody's a ninja.
  • Sasuke's whiny and everybody hates him.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:20 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou takes you someplace beautiful.

Satsuriku no Tenshi is an Ibsenesque, surrealist tale about coming to terms, internally, with strong feelings of guilt, shame, and self-loathing.

Konosuba is garbage. A bunch of semi-interesting female characters are on an adventure with a boring redditor, whose only reason for existing is so that the audience of boring redditors can vicariously experience what it would be like to be smarter and better than everyone else. During this time, he acts like an arrogant, insufferable, mean-spirited prick, starts a one-man #metoo movement, and regularly provides the audience with opportunities to see his less boring co-protagonists in various states of undress. If you don't like seeing anime boobs, there is no reason to watch this show. If you do like seeing anime boobs, there are a whole host of shows where you can see anime boobs without having to listen to 20 minutes of this guy masturbating to his own superiority complex.

Nichijou is clever and has a very good sense of comedic timing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:52 pm 

I was not aware that anybody hated Konosuba. The main character is certainly not smarter or better than anybody else- he's a scumbag and I'm pretty sure you're supposed to hate him. IF anything, the show is a take that at the harem and isekai genres. The "harem" may be beautiful, but they're horrible, horrible people, and the protagonist actually spends a lot of effort trying to avoid them. And living in a fantasy world is shown to have more than a few downsides- I mean, how far is it into the show that they can afford to stop sleeping in a stable?

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:09 am 

To be fair, if the comedy of the series doesn't work for you, watching a group of selfish idiots failing upwards can be rather irritating.

On a different note, I don't have much to say about the anime I've been watching, so I'll recommend some manga and such.

Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu
- A very cute slice of life manga about a girl who has difficulties communicating, but is perceived as being elegant and dignified. Starting with a boy who specializes in reading the mood, she slowly makes friends with her classmates.

Kumo Desu ga Nani ka - A highschool girl is reincarnated as a spider in a fantasy world. The unnaturalness of a world having videogame mechanics is a plot point. Not quite a full subversion, it still messes with traditional fantasy tropes in interesting ways. Probably the best isekai I have ever read/watched.

Voynich Hotel - A dark, yet lighthearted story of three witches, a hotel, and various criminals and natives interacting. Contains some tragedy, but also ends happily for the majority of the cast who aren't evil.

Emma - As someone who only has passing familiarity with the works of Jane Austen, this is a similar sort of period romance. Completely unrelated to the Jane Austen novel of the same name. A maid to an old spinster finds love, but the passing of her mistress and the class difference between her and her love interest cause complications.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:24 am 

No no, I LIKE that part

I just don't like the absurd amounts of fanservice, or the fact that the main character is played off as more of a House MD than a Dennis Reynolds. He's a jerk, but the people around him need him.

The "flaws" of the characters around him are there less to make them unappealing to the audience than they are to justify why they need this pathetic creep

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:50 am 

TPmanW wrote:
I was not aware that anybody hated Konosuba. The main character is certainly not smarter or better than anybody else- he's a scumbag and I'm pretty sure you're supposed to hate him. IF anything, the show is a take that at the harem and isekai genres. The "harem" may be beautiful, but they're horrible, horrible people, and the protagonist actually spends a lot of effort trying to avoid them. And living in a fantasy world is shown to have more than a few downsides- I mean, how far is it into the show that they can afford to stop sleeping in a stable?

Essentially it's "it's always sunny in Isekai"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:21 am 

It's really not.

This show is what Dennis Reynolds thinks always sunny is.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next