It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [Modern] Slivers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:20 pm 

Ixalan adds new mana for tribal decks, good for any 5 color tribes. Grab sliver legion to make your guys big, or use flying poison combo.

4 x Botanical Sanctum
4 x Ancient Ziggurat
4 x Cavern of Souls
4 x Sliver Hive
4 x Unclaimed Territory

4 x Pillar of Origins

4 x Virulent Sliver
4 x Galerider Sliver
4 x Screeching Sliver
4 x Gemhide Sliver
4 x Manaweft Sliver
4 x Diffusion Sliver
4 x Homing Sliver
4 x Sliver Hivelord
4 x Sliver Legion

Like this post

Post subject: Re: [Modern] Slivers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:26 am 

the difference between this and a Chord of Calling deck is that on the chord deck the creatures can be tapped (convoke),

in this case you need 6 mana to get the Sliver legion using Homing Sliver plus 5 mana to cast it totalling 11 mana, in a cord deck this would be 8 mana, so 3 mana discount.

The difference in a chord deck is that it usually use 1 mana accelerators, so they can be one or two turns faster on a combo.

I guess you could remove the Homing Sliver and add 4x chords, or you could remove the hivelords and keep the homings but definetly need chord.

the problem still is that the deck lacks 1 mana "natural" accelerators, I know that you can play the mana slivers and tap the 1 mana slivers you played on turn one but you will have then only 1 mana and not 3 mana on turn 2, because 2 mana were used to cast the mana sliver. (mana, mana, mana)

THS-M15-KTK standard decks

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:50 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
rcitaliano wrote:
in this case you need 6 mana to get the Sliver legion using Homing Sliver plus 5 mana to cast it totalling 11 mana, in a cord deck this would be 8 mana, so 3 mana discount.

That's if you play Homing Sliver with a longer strategy in mind, but if you need a Sliver and you need it now you can cycle the Homing itself. On the contrary, Homing is best than Cord because you can cycle on turn 3/4 and cast the legend on the following turn in two easy payments, OR play it to cycle extra mana Slivers (you only need one) to stack up Legions.

I feel like they may be better options than Diffusion and Poisonous, though, I'll edit with new ideas.

Edit: first strike may be better than poison, since it helps early trades before Legion kicks in. Generally flying in a swarm deck can be a win condition, a single Legion makes all the Slivers ridiculous and failing that you can turtle up and mill with Screecher.

And depending on the meta and personal preference, Quilled Sliver add a nice array of potential tricks to the army, while Diffusion only slows, rather than stop, removals, so it's more situational IMHO.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:59 am 

You could probably make a good legacy casual slivers deck with some of the old hotness:

4 Crystalline Sliver
4 Muscle Sliver
4 Sinew Sliver

And some of the newer ones like Predatory Sliver, Galerider Sliver.

Instead of those $$$ duals, you can easily get by with fetchlands or shocklands...or even your current mana base if you opt for a creature heavy build.

Flagg: Nani?

Like this post