It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:41 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Premise
In case you are unaware, the actor that portrayed Robbie Rotten, Stefan Karl Steffanson, passed away some time ago. For me, this hit me especially hard despite having never watched Lazy Town for two reasons.

First, as someone who was heavily influenced by internet culture in high school, the loss of a meme's inspiration feels like a piece of the internet--and thus myself--has been taken away forever.

Second, the song, "We Are Number One" and the portion of the show that accompanies it brought back the joy of bumbling villains for me. Not going to lie; I'm a fan of the psychotic and edgy bad guys--the ones who know how to get what they want and do from time to time. However the character of Robbie Rotten as depicted in the song, along with the instrumentation of the song itself, got me hooked back on other bumbling villains such as Jesse and James from Pokemon, Eggman from Sonic (well, sometimes him), and others.

Criteria
As much as I would love to see Tay Zonday, Planeswalker or Sneezing Panda as cards, focusing on the meme aspect suits neither M:tG's fantasy setting nor my current mood. So your task is as follows:

Create two cards: one depicting an original bumbling villain, and another depicting one of their "misdeeds"

Deadline
I will be closing this contest at 12:00a EST on 8/24/2018, and will get to grades within the week (earlier if time permits; later if not). Any entries with a timestamp after that time will be dismissed for grading, though I may opt to comment on them.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:42 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Snidely Whiplash
Legendary Creature ─ Human Rogue (R)
Menace
When Snidely Whiplash enters the battlefield, detain target creature until Snidely Whiplash leaves the battlefield.
2/2
"Now I've got you!"

Mustache Twirl
Sorcery (U)
If you control a Railroad, destroy target detained creature.
"MWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:54 pm 

Sylen Spring-Heel
:2::b:
Legendary Creature - Azra Rogue
: Sylen Spring-Heel gets -2/-0 and gains Flying until end of turn.
Whenever Sylen Spring-Heel attacks, create a colorless Treasure artifact token with ":t:, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color."
Despite never having won a match, Sylen's theatrical nature (and penchant for partnering with a "lovely assistant", most of whom go on to better careers) have kept him among the most popular fighters in Valor's Reach.
3/2

Huzzah!
:1::r:
Instant
Choose any number of target creatures. Create two colorless Treasure artifact tokens with ":t:, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color." Then you may sacrifice any number of Treasures. Huzzah! deals damage equal to the number of treasures sacrificed this way, divided as you choose among its targets. (Targets may be assigned 0 damage.)
Sylen Spring-Heel's famed fighting style is predicated on bounding across Valor's reach, gloating, and hurling the flashiest looking objects he can get his hands on at anything that looks like it can dodge.

Bonus card

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:10 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: T3KK-TP
Thanks to unstable, villains are technically a creature type!

Mephisto, Master Traptition | :1::u::b:
Creature - Human Villain

Play with the top three cards of your library revealed. You may play trap cards revealed this way.

"Get it? It's like trap mixed with... you get the point."

2/3

Aethernet Trap | :3::u:
Instant - Trap

If an opponent cast a legendary spell or attacked with a legendary creature this turn, you may pay :1::u: rather than pay this spell's mana cost.
Exile target spell or attacking creature. That card's owner adds it to their hand at the beginning of their next upkeep.

"When I say go, be ready to throw!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:52 pm 

Dr. Wahoozit |
Legendary Creature - Human Monkey Artificer | {MR}
When Dr. Wahoozit enters the battlefield or untaps, sacrifice an artifact. When you do, choose one at random—
  • Create three token copies of the sacrificed artifact.
  • An opponent reveals cards from the top of their library until they reveal an artifact, puts that card on the battlefield, and the rest on the bottom of their library in a random order.
  • Each artifact becomes a creature with power and toughness equal to their converted mana costs until end of turn.

Mad Machinations |
Sorcery | {R}
Target opponent chooses for you to draw three or seven cards. If you draw seven cards this way, whenever you discard a card this turn, you lose 1 life.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:35 am 

Don Tall, Crime Boss -
Legendary Creature - Goblin Rogue Lord
Whenever ~ enters the battlefield or one or more creature attacks you, create two 0/1 Rogue creature tokens with haste and ": Flip a coin. If you win the flip, ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player you do not control. Otherwise, ~ deals 1 damage to a creature you control at random.".
Whenever you win a coin flip, create a colorless Treasure artifact token with "Tap, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color."
3/3

Light'em Up Boys!!! -
Sorcery
Multikicker
Choose a creature or player. Then, tap all creatures you control and flip a coin for each of them. Whenever you win a coin flip this way, ~ deals 1 damage to the chosen creature or player.
Repeat this process for each time ~ was kicked.

Last edited by Confused on Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:53 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

I feel like my entry may date me.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:37 am 

It's a classic cartoon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:00 pm 

Dudey was good man who always rode his horse backwards . . . though Rocky and Bullwinkle were my thing as a kid.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:28 pm 

Gru, Supervillain Father -
Legendary Creature - Human Villain | R
When Gru, Supervillain Father enters the battlefield, create three 1/1 white Human creature tokens.
Other Humans you control have hexproof.
When you control no other Humans, destroy all creatures and each player discards their hand.
3/3

Release the Minions -
Legendary Instant | R
(You may cast a legendary instant or sorcery only if you control a legendary creature or planeswalker.)
For each creature you control, create two 0/1 blue Minion creature tokens with "When this creature dies, draw a card."

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:31 pm 

Kwev the Infuriator - :4::g::u:
Creature - Troll Advisor
Hexproof
~ enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each creature your opponents control.
2/2

Flame War - :3::u:
Instant
Creatures your opponents control get -X/-0 until end of turn, where X is the number of creatures your opponents control.
"I don't mean to start a debate, but..."

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:38 am 

Looks like 7 entries ... will provide rankings and comments once Im on a desktop.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:42 pm 

Entries and Comments

Rankings are:

1. Tekkahedron
2. Confused
3. Tevish Szat
4. Dudibus
5. BelangiaJo
6. Flopfoot
7. Yarium

Congrats to Tekkahedron, and thank you all for participating; as to be expected from this community, it was really, really close and mostly came down to subjective bias on my part.

Like this post