It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Which contestant should make it to the semifinals?
Libe 95%  95%  [ 21 ]
Tevish Szat 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 22
Total voters : 22
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:25 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fifth season of Pro Tour: You Make the Card! This is your annual opportunity to put your fantasy fantasy card design skills to the test for a chance at internet immortality. Over the next several months, this competition will push you to be the best designer you can be to see which of you can join the ranks of YMTC legends.

Logistics

Quarterfinalists

Pairings

Quarterfinals Criteria

Libe's Submission

Tevish Szat's Submission

Please vote for the contestant you feel deserves to proceed to the semifinals based on their submission this round. The poll will remain open until Sunday, November 11. I will be reserving my vote for tie-breaking purposes. Best of luck, Libe and Tevish Szat!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:21 pm 

Let this be a lesson to you: Don't try to use unpopular mechanics, and especially don't go against Libe.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:27 pm 

I mean, not to be rude. But I think it's less use of the mechanic (especially since last I remember I don't think devotion is unpopular) and more just poor execution. Devotion cards that punish using more than one color feel much worse than the ones that distinctly reward using a lot of one color.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:31 pm 

Fair enough.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:55 pm 

Libe:
I like the idea of a garbage-plane. Don't think that set idea could've been done before Thor: Ragnarok, but I do now. I like how you can use your "garbage" with the legendary land to get mana of the garbage's colors. I also like Stockpile, as it feels similar to Clues, with the added benefit that you get some nice card selection when you have stockpile in multiples.

Tevish Szat:
Devotion isn't something I particularly care for, since you're constantly counting. These cards ask you to count devotion twice each time you want to go to use them, and then do math with those numbers. These are the kinds of devotion cards that nightmares are made of.

Vote: Libe

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:53 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
yeah idk tevish, Devotion already does a good job of encouraging multi-colored decks, you don't need to give additional punishment for playing multiple colors or having hybrid cards. Nykthos that costs 2 less to activate is also pretty sketchy just power-wise, and I don't get the point of a land that color screws you when you need it for colors the most. Libe's cards doesn't blow me away. Stockpile is an alright mechanic, but I don't really like Skyheap design-wise, being Legendary detracts more from it than it adds, but anti-devotion doesn't really compete against it.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:16 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
legendary lands

cycle lands

conclusion

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:59 pm 

I don't get what's so special about Skyheap from flavor (I'm sure in a world of junk, multiple large piles of garbage can appear) or mechanics. It's a neat card but making it your Legendary is just not a great idea. But Vale is just really not great. Being a free Nykthos makes it borderline broken in decks that want that. But in decks that want to run even just decent hybrid or splash cards it is bad. And too complex. I give the point to Skyheap for being better as a card but it is just barely as I feel it isn't a good fit for Legendary.

I really adore Kingpin's Storehouse. It's just so nice. Great Fleet War Camp is...a messy name on a messier card.

The only card here I truly and fully liked was Kingpin's Storehouse and even Skyheap was very close. Tevish's use of devotion is horribly messy and unfun. So easy vote for Libe.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:37 am 

Identity: Male
Skyheap is one of those cards that is junk in most decks but pretty darn good in the right deck. I think it's still balanced in that deck too, so it checks out. Full Jhonny points. That flavour text also tells me just about everything I'd need to know about the setting.
I've seen a couple of different variations on the stockpile mechanic, but I think Kingpin's Storehouse does it best. I'm not the only one getting morph vibes, right? Evocative name to boot. Is this a trash kingpin from the dump plane? I'd be down for that.

I like the monocolor theme Tevish is going for, but Vale of Isahhir looks way overpowered. That thing needs an activation cost like Cabal Coffers (Ooh, maybe sac a permanent of that colour?). In a monocolour deck you can get it to tap for 3 on turn 3 just by playing cards on curve. Mono isn't usually a popular deck choice, but if that's the theme of the set, it has to be accounted for.
I like the mechanics of Great Fleet War Camp. It is fairly complicated though.
The flavour text of these read nicely, but don't tell me a heck of a lot.

I've got to vote for Libe.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:46 am 

Stockpile just feels too generous for me to be put on a land that doesn't give colorless, especially on a whole cycle.

In contrast tevish's legendary land seems an unoriginal entry when Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx exists.

The other two cards seem fine, I don't think I have a favorite entry here.

Last edited by Hello World on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:50 am 
YMtC Champ '15

Yeah, it might be.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:07 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

I agree that Libe's legendary land feels to workhorse-ish to be legendary, and Tevish's is really just a more powerful Nykthos. So I decided my vote mostly on the cycle land, and I really like Libe's. Stockpile is a nice mechanic and I really love playing with deck-smoothing cards. I think there is something interesting in Tevish's idea, but I think it would work better if it were just a regular ETBT land that taps for blue, no strings attached, and had an additional ability (maybe requiring sacrifice) once you reached a certain devotion to blue.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:15 pm 

Riorvard wrote:
I think it would work better if it were just a regular ETBT land that taps for blue, no strings attached, and had an additional ability (maybe requiring sacrifice) once you reached a certain devotion to blue.

While I fully accept my loss in this (I'm not even voting for myself anymore), I did want to addess this point. As, primarily, an EDH player, I HATE ETBT. Like, with the burning passion of a thousand suns, assuming we mean straight-out enters tapped and not conditional enters-tapped. Pretty much nothing that enters tapped is worthwhile; the trilands are on the border, ETBT utilities and duals are painful, painful, painful. So when faced with making a 5-card cycle, I wanted ANY OTHER DRAWBACK. I considered just tapping for :c:, no matter what, and having the devotion-return ability to identify its color, but that seemed too weak so I decided to let it tap for colored as long as you didn't already have something off-color -- perfect for monocolor decks, spellslingers, or the first couple turns.

Did it work? Apparently not, but I stand by trying. (I don't stand by my Legendary design, I should have stuck with the first design, which was LED-Land -- taps for 3 of any one color at instant speed and exiles your hand when it does. Even that wasn't great, but it would have been better)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:45 pm 

Could do the thing the Ramunap Ruins cycle does and enter untapped but require a life to make a color.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:23 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

I'm going to go ahead and call this one — no way is Tevish coming back from 21-0. Congrats to Libe, our second semifinalist!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:10 pm 

Identity: Male
ME, I just think the power of dual lands needs to come down.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:39 pm 
YMtC Champ '15

Well fought, Tevish. Congrats on making it this far.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:51 pm 

Go on and take the title for me, Libe. Then I'll be able to say I lost to the best. :thumbsup:

Like this post