It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:15 pm 

Common #5

Faceless Infiltration
:1::b:
Instant - Ruse {C}
Prowl :3::u:
Create a token that's a copy of target creature you control. If Faceless Infiltration's prowl cost wasn't paid, sacrifice that token.
You may cast Faceless Infiltration from your graveyard as long as a nontoken Rogue entered the battlefield under your control this turn. If you do, exile it.

Probably not a common but I'm having fun.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:31 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Common #6:

Pack Hurdak
Creature ─ Beast (C)
Protection from Rogues
5/6
These lumbering beasts would sometimes carry a merchants entire inventory, and as such were heavily guarded.

Cato

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:39 pm 

Common #7

Stranger
:3:
Creature
A deck may have any number of cards named Stranger
2/2

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:27 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Common #8

Trinket of Misfortune
Artifact
At the beginning of each other player's upkeep, that player may scry 1.
: Target player gains control of Trinket of Misfortune. Trinket of Misfortune loses this ability until the beginning of your next upkeep.
The Arivian Order prides itself on transporting relics, no matter how innocuous or detrimental they may be.

probably not common at all

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:30 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Common #9:

Merchant Town
Land (C)
When Merchant Town enters the battlefield, choose a color at random.
: Add a mana of the chosen color.
Oddities, wonders, antiques...you never know what you're going to find at these sideshows.

Cato

Last edited by Dudibus on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:35 pm 

Common #10

Incriminating Evidence
:2:
Artifact - Equipment
If equipped creature is a Rogue, it gains Skulk. Otherwise, it gains Deathtouch to Rogues.
Equip :2:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:50 pm 

Uncommon #1

Traveler's Eulogy
Instant
Until end of turn, whenever a creature card is put into a graveyard from anywhere, exile it and create a create a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying.
The Fellowship makes certain all wayward souls return home.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:06 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Uncommon #2:

Band of Highwaymen
Creature - Human Rogue (U)
Flash
When Band of Highwaymen enters the battlefield, target opponent chooses one -
• Deathtouch
• Menace
Band of Highwaymen gains the chosen ability.
3/3
It's your money or your life. But they aren't picky about which one.

Cato

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:08 pm 

Uncommon #3

Unfriendly Faces
:2::r:
Enchantment - Aura {U}
Enchant Player
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under Enchanted Player's control, if another creature entered the battlefield under enchanted player's control this turn, a random opponent of enchanted player gains control of it.
:5:: Attach Unfriendly Faces to target player. Only enchanted player may activate this ability

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:30 am 

Retributive Decree -
Sorcery | R
If no players control a Rogue, each player draws two cards. Otherwise, destroy all Rogues.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:21 am 

I'd like to apologize for the barebones outline of the plane! Been a hectic week, and I didn't get to expand on my set as much I shoulda. That's my bad.

Crafty Spice Merchant - I love houndmasters and the flavor is fun. That said, I feel like you'd want to see this effect on a creature with some sort of evasion or one that could compete with what would reasonably be on the board at the time, not on a 4 mana 0/4 and his pet 2/2.
Scaly Huckster - I like it. Bonus for adding merchant towns to the set flavor.
Ambush the Caravan - big props for adding ruses, glad the imposter/rogue mechanic ended up in all colors. the card itself being the quintessential Naturalize effect, not much to say 'cept I kinda wish it had flavor text. Then again its pretty clear what's happening.
Faceless Infiltration -I can see fun applications of its effects, like being a cheap way of activating other ruse recursion, but it definitely feels like it should at least be uncommon. I will say this card is most in line with my original vision of the imposters. Prowl is also a good fit for the set.
Pack Hurdak - Makes sense to have some tribal hate the way the hypothetical set is shaping up. I can't imagine it mattering so much on such a big body, I doubt most rogues'll have the pinache to compete with a 5/6. It does feel like a welcome addition to the set flavor.
Stranger - Flavorwise, I like the simplicity of it. Again, it feels like these cards are close to what I saw the imposters as (not that I dislike that the thread has gone more to Rogues) Mechanically, there doesn't seem to really be an incentive to have many Strangers, unlike their rat contemporaries.
Trinket of Misfortune - Probably uncommon, Its an interesting mechanic, but not one you'd want to see as often as common in Limited
Merchant Town - As far as flavor, this is probably my favorite card. I guess I just have a thing for common lands that ooze flavor. I don't think it really gets a pass from me in the mechanics department, I'm not sure why you'd want Merchant Town over a basic land of your choice.
Incriminating Evidence - I'm imagining the authorities finding a bloody knife at a crime scene and using it to stab its previous owner. Anyway, this card introducing skulk along with other entries like Dudibus' Pack Hurdak delivers an interesting dynamic within the set. I think it would have been fine to give non-Rogues a non-Rogue specific buff, even just to stats. Then again, this booster pack implies quite a large number of Rogues, so maybe the Rogue-hate is justified and I'm big dumb.
Traveler's Eulogy - A card with some fun applications as a combo-piece. Brownie points for exploring other parts of the set.
Band of Highwaymen - The more I sat on this card, the more I appreciated it. It does a good job of making the choice relevant, something I don't see a lot of in custom cards that force a choice on the opponent.
Unfriendly Faces - Although the literal ability and second line do justify its redness, I think the functionally is "enchanted player can't cast more than one creature spell" (outside of fringe cases) so it feels more white to me than anything.
Retributive Decree - some classic white hosing! I don't really have much to say about it, the flavor is obvious but pretty barebones.

My top four are:
1. Band of Highwaymen and Dudibus :king:
2. Ambush the Caravan and BelangiaJo
3. Traveler's Eulogy and EpicLevelCommoner
4. Crafty Spice Merchant and Tevish Szat

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:10 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

So, as an experiment, can I go back to a previous plane? I have been tweaking and working on Kisemanito as an actual set and it would be interesting to me if I gave a little more mechanical direction where everyone would take it.

Summary: A First Nations flavored set. History passed down through story and song, strong Shamanistic and Tribal ties to each other and nature. Low Tech but steeped in magic and the spirit world. Please forgive this interpretation of the rich and wonderful heritage of the First Nations people. I borrow from the Cree for most of the items below.

Plane: Kisemanito (kih-say muh-nih-toh)
Card Creation Guide:
Kisemanito is a rich, lush forest of a plane with all the standard biomes. The most remarkable thing is it has no oceans. Huge lakes, millions of rivers and streams. Each land mass is connected to the other by land.
White - The Wesakechak people - Human. Peaceful, nomadic, plains natives. Using tipis, riding horses, following the migration of the herds, they live in perfect balance with their world. This is not an accident. They have learned how the world needs them to be, and accept their place in it rather than try to bend it to their will.
Blue - The Piyesiw people - Winged Bird People. Live in Aeries, the second oldest and rarest of the people of Kisemanito, the only race with a written language. Also. the Memekwesiw people. River and lake dwelling merfolk type creatures. Mischievous, prone to capsizing canoes or drowning people they feel have not given them the proper respect.
Black - The Witiko. Evil, flesh eating spirits. When one of the other races commits a sin, they turn into one of the Witiko. Each Witiko looks and acts differently, ranging from mindless eaters to diabolical and\or demonic monsters, depending on the sin.
Red - The Chahkabesh. When the mountains were born, so to were the Chahkabesh. Stocky, muscular people, they are very long lived, with skin the color of stone. They are a whimsical people. They are artists and poets, given to burst of passion and creativity. They make violent enemies if incised to it. While experiencing one emotion, they have a hard time remembering the others, often losing themselves in the moment.
Green - The Misiweskamik. The beasts and animals of the world, plus simply the World itself and all its plants and insects and ecosystems. They are all connected and part of each other.

Spirit Animals, Totem Armor, Shamanistic, nature, hunting, nomadic, bands, tribes, legendary creatures at uncommon, stories, verbal history, heroes.

Returning Keywords:
Threshold -- Card does something bonus as long as seven or more cards are in your graveyard.
Totem armor (If enchanted creature would be destroyed, instead remove all damage from it and destroy this Aura.)

Potential new keyword:
Seventh Generation (Whenever you would draw a card after your first each turn, you may return this card from your graveyard to your hand instead.)

Seventh Generation is a philosophy of the Iroquois people that everything we do we should consider its impact up to seven generations in the future. I was hoping for a keyword that would allow interaction with cards that have come before, but Threshold might be good enough on its own to accomplish that.

I would also be interested to see what people think of these keywords, or if you feel another mechanic should really play, feel free to make a card with it.

Common #1:

Witiko Lair
Land (C)
Witiko Lair enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add or .
Threshold - Witiko Lair enters the battlefield untapped if there are seven or more cards in your graveyard.

Cato

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:31 am 

Common #2

Ancestral Wisdom
Instant
Draw two cards.
Seventh Generation
"Even the meekest of Misiweskamik can wreak great devastation many years from now." - Piyesiw Proverb

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:26 pm 

Common #3

Tribal War Poet
Creature - Dwarf Warrior
First strike
You may exert Tribal War Poet as it attacks. When you do, whenever it deals combat damage to a player this turn, you may create a Treasure token. (An exerted creature won't untap during your next untap step.)
The fight over too quickly, Achikusi focused his lingering passions elsewhere.
2/3

Maybe not the best idea to combine the two mechanics at common, but I think both exert and occasional Treasure tokens are good candidates for a red mechanic.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:53 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Exert plays in very well with the Chakabesh flavor of getting caught up in their emotions. Treasure to me should be an "any set, any time" thing.

Cato

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:56 pm 

Pulse of the Misiweskamik
:g::g:
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Nonhuman Creature
Whenever a nontokencreature that shares a type with enchanted creature enters the battlefield, enchanted creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn and you draw a card

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:49 pm 

Dudibus wrote:
Exert plays in very well with the Chakabesh flavor of getting caught up in their emotions. Treasure to me should be an "any set, any time" thing.

While I agree with that usage of Treasures, in practice they've really only shown up in singular instances per set they've been in since Ixalan despite being a deciduous mechanic

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:20 pm 

Common #5

Corrupted Storyteller
Creature - Horror (C)
When Corrupted Storyteller enters the battlefield, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
His stories remained, but the meaning had changed.
2/1

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:30 pm 

Gobble -
Instant | C
Destroy target creature if it's controller sinned this turn. (Sins include attacking with a creature, drawing more than one card, or returning a card from a graveyard to any other zone.)
The Witiko can smell fear, but they prefer how it tastes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:38 pm 

Common #7

Bear's Guide
Enchantment Creature - Bear Spirit
Bestow
Bear Totem has totem armor as long as it is an aura.
[2/2]

Last edited by EpicLevelCommoner on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next