It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:07 pm 

Critique: I like the Death's Shadow variant. It's more balanced to use your library as a resource than your life total, I believe. Could see this being played in some self-mill type deck. Still strong, but doesn't appear to be as easy to satisfy as the Modern powerhouse.

Shadow of the Bear -
Instant | C
Target attacking or blocking creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn. Add to your mana pool.
Its grizzled shape's the last you'll see.

Criterion: There are no hydras in Dominaria. Create one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:13 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Critique: Definitely fits the criteria. I don't know if I like how you put a red/white restriction into black and green, but I understand you had to make it weaker than straight -2/-2 to anything in order to justify giving the mana back. I would have rather it been a different restriction, though, like target nonblack, nongreen creature. (I love Death Rattle.) Except then it wouldn't really fit the criteria anymore because it can't target Grizzly Bears. Oh well, you see my concern. Comparing it to Disfigure and Last Gasp, the extra color requirement may mean you might have just been able to drop the "attacking or blocking" altogether, if only for color pie reasons.

Kaarjiblaq, Terror of Karplus
Legendary Creature — Hydra (U)
Kaarjiblaq, Terror of Karplus enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Kaarjiblaq enters the battlefield, it deals damage equal to its power to any target.
0/0

Next criterion: "Impress me." Whatever that quote means to you.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:08 pm 

Critique: Not a fan of the name. Pretty basic execution of a hydra. Like the legendary status at uncommon to fit into Dominaria. It actually scales really well without being too strong as an uncommon. Kudos.

Wicked Impressionist -
Creature - Human Shapeshifter Rogue | MR
Flash
You may have Wicked Impressionist enter the battlefield as a copy of any planeswalker an opponent controls, except it has "At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a loyalty counter from target planeswalker an opponent controls."
2/2

Criterion: Create a Phoenix with a set-specific keyword that hasn't been done IRL. (Example: There are no phoenixes with exert.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:56 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Cool take on the criterion! But I don't like how narrow it is. I wish it could also copy a creature for the myriad of times when there aren't any planeswalkers to target. That would get pretry wordy tho. Even just a Clone that can also target planeswalkers would be pretty cool. Also needs a nonlegendary rider to prevent them both from just dying.

Phoenix of the Sunborne Arch
Creature — Phoenix (R)
Ascend
Flying, haste
When Phoenix of the Sunborne Arch dies, return it to your hand if you have the city's blessing.
2/2

Next: Make a nonred card with haste

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:05 pm 

critique: definitely could have been a better inclusion than rekindling phoenix in rix since it showcases one of the set mechanics. i like the triple red mana cost. this card is strong without being too oppressive. i like that this fits a niche in rdw type builds (it's a late game threat that gets turned on when you flood out).

Hurried Explorer -
Creature- Human Scout | U
Haste
At the beginning of your end step, if Hurried Explorer is tapped, search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle Hurried Explorer into your library.
2/3

criterion: design a desert.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:59 am 

Identity: Female
That's pretty neat. It has fairly good mechanical flavor, with the creature disappearing into a new land. I also like the trigger condition, and that you can work around having to attack with it using something like Springleaf Drum. Fun stuff. 8/10.

Seviaht, the Shifting Sands
Legendary Land - Desert (M)
At the beginning of your upkeep, search your graveyard, hand, and/or library for a land card that doesn't have the same name as a card exiled with ~ and exile it. ~ gains all activated abilities of that card until your next turn. If you search your library this way, shuffle it.

Criteria: Every so often we get a new land subtype (Locus, Gate, Lair, etc.). So design a land with a new subtype.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28