It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Great Designer Search 3
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:25 pm 

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:30 pm 

You have a month to sign up and the trials start in mid January.
There will be a week for essay questions and then a day of multiple choice to weed most of us out.

I wish those were in the other order, I'm going to be sad when I fail on the first trial.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:40 pm 

These are always super fun to watch, but alas, as a Canadian resident, I and any other non-US folks are precluded from signing up. HOWEVER, I think we can all agree that the NGA team can put forward some great work! I am here to help any and all that seek to apply! I will be as hard on you as I can be to help you get in.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:48 pm 

Signed and sent. I look forward to being weeded out in probably the essay question round.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:04 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Yarium wrote:
These are always super fun to watch, but alas, as a Canadian resident, I and any other non-US folks are precluded from signing up. HOWEVER, I think we can all agree that the NGA team can put forward some great work! I am here to help any and all that seek to apply! I will be as hard on you as I can be to help you get in.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:18 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

AzureShade wrote:
Signed and sent. I look forward to being weeded out in probably the essay question round.

Everyone who sends answers to the essay questions will get to take the multiple choice test. You can't be weeded out from that round unless you don't respond. :)

I've signed up too! Now to wait painfully until the middle of January...

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:35 pm 

As a non-US citizen, I did not apply, obviously. :p Good luck to the NGA members applying, and if we can (are allowed to) help, do ask.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:03 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
I'm signed up! Godspeed to all of us. Am I willing to take a ridiculous pay cut to be a designer intern at WotC? Probably

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:07 pm 

Cool

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:41 pm 

"America first" amirite?
(I am a canadian citizen so if you didn't catch on that was a cynical statement.)

I can't really help out with this.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:43 pm 

Taking a look at the terms and conditions, while we'd all appreciate any and all help from non-US NGA-ers, it looks like that's not kosher:
Quote:
Confidentiality. You agree that until the deadline for completion of a particular Trial or Challenge (both a "Round") has passed you will not discuss that Round, including without limitation discussing any assignment or test with anyone.

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:57 pm 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt
I'm signed up! Godspeed to all of us. Am I willing to take a ridiculous pay cut to be a designer intern at WotC? Probably

What kind of money are you making where this is a ridiculous pay cut? The design internship pays a $95,000 salary. (Actually half of that since it's 6 months long.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:59 pm 

Just Moika, Just Moinka, Just Monik-sorry, saw Silly’s avvie.

I’m interested to see the eventually posted essay answers and the quiz that’ll hopefully go up.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:59 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

A design internship is 95K...I am being criminally underpaid.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:02 pm 

Quote:
The Internship.

Wizards hopes to offer and award the Internship to the winner of the Live Challenge (the "Internship Winner"), however, Wizards reserves the right to not make an offer, and or to not award the Internship to anyone. In addition, Wizards may at any time, within or beyond the scope of GDS3, interview or hire additional or different individuals who have competed in GDS3.

Internship Details. The Internship is a six-month paid internship, beginning on or about July 1, 2018 and ending on or about January 4, 2019. The wages for the Internship are expected to be $7,979.30 per month (estimated based on the Internship Winner's full-time work of 40 hours per week), subject to adjustment in Wizards' sole discretion. You acknowledge that employment as an intern with Wizards is "at-will." You acknowledge and agree that Wizards has the right to terminate the Internship with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time and in its sole discretion.

No Relocation. All expenses incurred as a result of being hired for the Internship, including travel, relocation and housing, are the sole responsibility of the Internship Winner.

Additional Documentation. Prior to the start of the internship, the Internship Winner must complete and furnish all documents required by Wizards and any governmental agency or otherwise in order for the Internship Winner to work for Wizards including without limitation, an INS Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility and Verification Form) completed to Wizards' satisfaction. The Internship Winner will also be required to sign an Invention Assignment, Proprietary Information and Non-Solicitation Agreement in a form acceptable to Wizards.

Internship Winner's Representations. By accepting the Internship, the Internship Winner represents and warrants that his/her employment with Wizards will not violate any agreements, obligations or understandings that he/she may have with any third party or prior employer. The Internship Winner agrees not to make any unauthorized disclosure to Wizards or use on behalf of Wizards any confidential information belonging to any of his/her former employers (except in accordance with agreements between Wizards and any such former employer).

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:04 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

Why the hell did I choose to pursue law instead of designing fantasy cards, just look at that pay, good God.

Alas, outside the US too.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:08 pm 

Do keep in mind that there are apartment listings for single-bedroom apartments in Renton that start at just under $1000 a month.

Like, housing alone is probably a good part of your pay. Also MaRo has a 30 minute commute every day to work and gas probably isn't cheap either.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:09 pm 

Silly wrote:
What kind of money are you making where this is a ridiculous pay cut? The design internship pays a $95,000 salary. (Actually half of that since it's 6 months long.)
HWAT

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:09 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
Do keep in mind that there are apartment listings for single-bedroom apartments in Renton that start at just under $1000 a month.

I pay more than double that in rent :(

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:12 pm 

Silly wrote:
HWAT

Yeah, I was surprised at that number as well. I expected the internship to be typical terrible intern pay, but it seems like it's actually just a probationary period for a full time job.

Quote:
The Internship is a six-month paid internship, beginning on or about July 1, 2018 and ending on or about January 4, 2019. The wages for the Internship are expected to be $7,979.30 per month (estimated based on the Internship Winner's full-time work of 40 hours per week), subject to adjustment in Wizards' sole discretion.

$7979 per month works out to be approximately $95k over a year.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next