It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:10 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

I wonder if a card like this could ever be balanced.

Volcanic Expansion
Sorcery (U)
Search your library for three Mountain cards and put them into play, then shuffle your library. Sacrifice them at the beginning of the next end step.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:49 am 

It's the same as desperate ritual in normal situations, no stronger than early harvest in heartbeat of spring decks; could be good in life from the loam / seismic assault, and speeds up scapeshift significantly. Huh who knew how many combos could all use the same card. It also allows color fixing in formats with dual lands, though we already have manamorphose.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:48 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Yeah, probably not a safe card to print just because of how insane it would be in Scapeshift Valakut decks. It was a fun thought exercise, though.

Thinking about Karador and Kess in Commander. I think there should be similar commanders for enchantments, lands, and artifacts.

Seriel, Flower of Serra
Legendary Creature — Dryad (M)
2/3
During each of your turns, you may cast an enchantment card from your graveyard.
Whenever you cast your first enchantment spell each turn, draw a card.

Vulgroth, Corpsejack Root
Legendary Creature — Hydra (M)
1/1
Vulgroth, Corpsejack Root enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each land card in your graveyard.
You may play an additional land card from your graveyard each turn.
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Vulgroth.

Vralna, Scrapborn Sovereign
Legendary Artifact Creature — Construct (M)
3/4
Affinity for artifact cards in your graveyard
During each of your turns, you may cast an artifact card in your graveyard.

No flavor text because I'm tired. Vralna is basically a mirror of Karador for artifacts, but I felt that was appropriate.

Edit: I changed the wording on Vulgroth to hopefully make it less confusing.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Last edited by Q is 564453 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:09 am 

Identity: Male
I'm not certain about Vulgorth- does it let you play a land from your graveyard if you didn't already paly one from your hand?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:57 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Hmm. I'm not sure on that one. I suppose I could just word it the way Gaea's Touch was worded to avoid confusion. It just doesn't sound as nice.

The intent certainly is to allow you to be able to play one from your graveyard, even if you haven't played a land from hand this turn.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:30 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

The game of Magic has deemed Counterspell to be overpowered, but I wonder if this would be fine:

Hungering Spellmist
Instant (U)
Exile target spell unless its controller pays . If he or she does, counter it unless that player pays an additional .

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:11 pm 

Probably. is a lot to pay- especially if you're casting it around turn 2. Outside specific formats, most opponents won't be tempted to pay either. Exile vs graveyard isn't a meaningful choice in most situations. Maybe have it return that card to their hand unless they pay , and a counter unless they pay at least ?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:49 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Hmm. I dunno. Perhaps something more like this:

Lost in the Mist
Instant (U)
Exile target spell unless its controller pays . If he or she does, counter it unless that player pays . If he or she does, return it to its owner's hand unless that player pays .

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:19 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

I posted a bunch of cards in JV's contest. None of them did especially well, and I can only get feedback on one of them there, so I'm posting them here on the off chance someone wants to comment on them.

Knight of Angels' Voices
Creature — Human Knight
2/2
First strike
Prismatic (Whenever a player casts a spell, this gains that spell's colors until end of turn.)
Knight of Angels' Voices has protection from each of its colors.
Grace in every duty, reason in every law, and all in the name of truth.

Notes: Probably too cheap, but mirroring it with White Knight and the Voice cycle seemed fun and flavorful.

Light through the Clouds
Instant (U)
Permanents your opponents control may be targeted and blocked as though they didn't have any abilities this turn.
Draw a card.
The deepest darkness is no match for the light of a blazing sun.

Notes: Probably a bit confusing, but I felt "can't be blocked" and "can't be targeted" effects were both effects that white should be able to answer, at least flavorfully if not mechanically as well.

Mental Preparation
Sorcery (R)
Until your next turn, you may cast spells as though they had flash.
Draw a card.
An enlightened mind is ready for the heat of the moment.

Notes: Possibly the best of the bunch, or at least JV seemed to think so. It gives your opponent a sense that you may try to do something unconventional on their turn, but what exactly that is remains a mystery.

Shu-Lem, the Broken Prism
Legendary Creature — Golem (M)
3/4
Shu-Lem is all colors (even when it's not on the battlefield).
All cards that aren't on the battlefield, spells, and permanents are all colors.
Players may spend mana as though it were mana of any color.
He stepped forward, and the world broke into light.

Notes: I thought Shu-Lem was just flat out fun. He's the rainbow commander everyone has always wanted.

Blazing Reflection
Instant (R)
Choose one —
  • Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
  • Create a token that's a copy of target creature.
  • If a source of your choice would deal damage to you or a permanent you control this turn, it deals that much damage to target creature or player instead.

I thought this was an interestingly versatile spell. Lots of options. Probably overpowered, but very fun for Spike.

Extract Light
Instant (U)
Counter target colored spell. During your next turn, you may spend mana as though it were any of that spell's colors.
Take light from life, and it withers and fades. Give light to life, and it thrives and flourishes.

Notes: This card raises an interesting question. Is restricting a counterspell to only countering colored spells enough justification to reduce its cost to just ? This particular card also gives a benefit, so is probably the safer bet, but it felt wrong to price it differently from Mana Drain especially since the benefit isn't huge.

I appreciate any feedback you guys have. :)

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:25 am 

Knight of Angels' Voices basically has protection from colored spells, which is a weird thing for white to have protection from, and more importantly a weird thing for cmc2 to have protection from.

Light through the Clouds is underwhelming to me. I feel like it works better when the effect is paired with something else. I do like the idea though.

Mental Preparation. That's a stretch for the "light" theme.

Shu - Lem's 2nd ability makes me worry it could be abused somehow. The 3rd ability is probably too good to go on a creature with that cost and those stats. Again, I like the idea. This just needs the edges filed down.

Blazing Reflection's a real fun looking card. The white effect doesn't quite line up with the copy theme though. Maybe if it dealt damage to a source, equal to the damage that source dealt?

Extract Light's ability is hard to make use of. Your deck's colors need to match the countered spell's, and you need to be missing those colors at the moment. I also think the drawback doesn't put it far enough from Counterspell.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:18 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Miriam, Bestower of Miracles
Legendary Creature — Angel (M)
4/5
Flying
Whenever you draw your first card each turn, if it's an instant or sorcery card, you may reveal it and pay one mana of each of its colors. If you do, cast it without paying its mana cost.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:13 am 

I like that twist on casting "free" cards. This way you actually need to run the appropriate colours.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:12 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Journey from the Underworld
Sorcery (U)
Exile target creature card from your graveyard. Return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
"Leaving the Underworld was no easy task. Its gates open widely to its visitors and close swiftly to those who tire of its bleakness."
—Elspeth, to Ajani

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:17 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Seer of the Inner Sanctum
Legendary Creature — Djinn Monk (M)
3/4
Whenever you cast an instant spell, you may draw a card. If you do, discard a card.
Whenever you cast a sorcery spell, create a 1/1 red Elemental creature token with haste. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.
Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, you gain 2 life.

Commander desperately needs a non-Narset spellslinger commander in Jeskai.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:35 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Flickering Flames
Instant (U)
Exile target creature you control, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control. It gains haste until end of turn.
Jarrick's relief at seeing Viralda engulfed in flame turned to panic as she emerged unharmed with blades at the ready.

I've probably posted this card before, but it's one I'm surprised has never been printed. Seems like such a natural extension of the flicker mechanic.

Here's another:

Persistent Nonexistence
Instant (R)
Exile target creature you control, then return it to the battlefield under your control. Repeat this process X times.
Once returned to Dominaria, the Jamuraans were grateful for Teferi's interference ages ago, though they began to find the constant flickering to be an annoyance.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:57 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Plebification
Enchantment (R)
As Plebification enters the battlefield, name a legendary card.
The legend rule doesn't apply to permanents with the chosen name.
"No, I wasn't poisoned. I simply stopped being great, and so the world thought I was someone else, and just like everyone else."
—Alexander, the no longer great

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:36 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Hallowed Moonlight
Instant
Exile all cards in your graveyard. Return them to your graveyard at the beginning of the next end step.
Draw a card.
"We ever pray to our ancestors for guidance, and we daily see the answers to our prayers. On this holy night, let us permit them to rest and enjoy the blessed sleep their lives merited."
—Yvetta, prayer-circle chaplain

Graveyard protection needs to be a thing.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:43 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Path of Negation
Instant (U)
Counter target spell. Its controller may search his or her library for a basic land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle his or her library.
"We all walk the paths of our forebears, and the path yours walked was of little import."
—Alexei, cynical historian

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:10 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Twinning Reverberation
Instant (R)
If was spent to cast Twinning Reverberation, copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy. If was spent to cast Twinning Reverberation, reassign all targets of that spell and all spells with the same name at random.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:57 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Was expecting a Wild Richochet variant. (wow i can't believe they didn't call that card Double Back)

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next