It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Divine
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:38 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Inspired by Divine Shield from Hearthstone (cf. Argent Squire)

Divine (The first time this creature would take damage each turn, prevent that damage.)

Solemn Preacher
Creature — Human Cleric (C)
Divine
1/1

Lighthouse Yearner
Creature — Spirit (U)
Divine
Whenever damage is prevented, you gain 1 life.
0/4

Beast of the Labyrinth
Creature — Minotaur (R)
Menace, first strike, divine
4/4

Grenalda, Seraph of the Golden Wings
Legendary Creature — Angel (M)
Flying, vigilance, divine
When Grenalda, Seraph of the Golden Wings dies, return her to the battlefield transformed.
7/7
~~~
Hymn of Grenalda
Legendary Enchantment (M)
Creatures you control get +2/+2.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Divine
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:04 am 

Most of the time a creature's only gonna take damage through combat so unless your opponent has burn in their deck, which they won't most of the time, this might as well be 'prevent all damage'. It doesn't even work if they're double-blocking.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:22 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Mata Hari wrote:
It doesn't even work if they're double-blocking.

It doesn't?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:38 pm 

No because damage is all dealt at once, so they’d have to use both First and Normal Strike. This ability does nothing but gum up board state and seems like it’d make an utterly miserable gameplay.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:03 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Is there a way we can make it work without using a counter?

This is a little different, but maybe:

Divine (Prevent all damage that would be dealt to this creature while it has summoning sickness.)

Or, you know, worded so that it doesn't have antisynergy with haste. idek if the term summoning sickness is officially part of the rules anymore

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:42 pm 

Divine (When this creature enters the battlefield under your control, prevent all damage that would be dealt to it until your next turn.)

It would need a little rewording if you want control changing effects like Persuasion to get the benefit too.

For the record "summon sickness" is mentioned in CR 302.6, but I do not think it matters here.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:02 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
I'd rather it be static than triggered.

Divine (Prevent all damage that would be dealt to this creature unless it has been under its controller’s control continuously since their most recent turn began.)

Wording jacked from 302.6. Is that too hefty? I feel like there must be an easier way to say that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:36 pm 

Divine (Prevent all damage that would be dealt to this creature unless you controlled it continuously since the beginning of your most recent turn.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:43 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
If we were writing this as rules text, the post right above mine looks good, but for reminder text, I'd just go with the summoning sickness version. They wouldn't be the only cards to reference summoning sickness in reminder text.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:52 pm 

Dryad Arbor references summon sickness so you know not to attack or tap it for mana the turn you play it, but neither or these things is involved with Divine, so simply mentioning "controlled continuously" - the only part of summon sickness relevant to Divine - works just fine.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:16 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Hm, the summoning sickness wording is weird with haste, so that's not great. I just wish there was something that read better than the alternative. I think the "unless" makes the focus feel off. Maybe something inspired by echo:

Divine (Prevent all damage that would be dealt to this creature as long as it entered under your control since the beginning of your last upkeep.)

Hm, that might actually be worse. I dunno. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:04 pm 

Prevent all damage that would be dealt to this creature if it's entered the battlefield since the beginning of your last turn.

A keyword for "You get one free block from this creature" seems so blah. Persist/Undying are also similar to divine shield.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:24 am 

Divine (Once per turn when a source would deal damage to this creature, you may prevent that damage.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:25 am 

i'm not sure this is necessarily a good keyword for magic but i think that wording should make double blocking work, although it gives more control to the owner of the creature as to what breaks their shield.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:31 am 

I like the idea of a temporary shield on a creature that lasts until your next turn. Been doing a quick mobile-game based in the 40k universe that's 99% cloned off of Hearthstone, but they have some cards with "Drop Pod", which is like a second card that the first one is transported in, and sticks around until your next turn. If something deals a bunch of damage to the card, it all goes to the Drop Pod first, which is easily destroyed, but means you need to damage it at least twice if you want to kill it right when it first comes in. It lead to some pretty good play, but that's a game where you can attack creatures directly with your creatures, so creatures taking damage is pretty par for the course. In Magic, I'm not as sold on it, because creatures only tend to take damage at two times; when you choose to block, or when an opponent chooses to use a spell on your creature that deals damage. In essence, this ability will only matter when your opponent is an aggressive deck that needs to be pushing damage through every turn.

However, I still like the idea of an ability that protects a creature for at least a turn. How about;

Rune-Shield (This creature can't be damaged or destroyed by spells or abilities, and loses this ability at the start of your turn.)

Dwarven Gatemaster |
Creature - Dwarf Soldier {C}
Rune-Shield (This creature can't be damaged or destroyed by spells or abilities, and loses this ability at the start of your turn.)
, : Tap target creature. You gain 1 life.
[1/3]

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:37 am 

at that point why not just give it hexproof for a turn instead?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:37 am 

i guess it interacts differently with untargeted abilities

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:56 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
Why not just give it indestructible for a turn now?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:20 am 

arathinius wrote:
Why not just give it indestructible for a turn now?

Because this version would mean it still dies if it blocks, which you have a ton more control over than whether or not it gets shot by a spell. This version pretty much means you are effectively guaranteed to use the creature interference-free until your turn. In a sense, it's also "slow haste", in that you can give these creatures tap abilities and know that you'll get at least one activation out of them before they're dead to a spell. I find in constructed, creatures are only good if they do something immediately, because otherwise there's just too much risk of them dying to removal or your opponent's very next play, which is why you rarely see tap abilities in Constructed on creatures.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:04 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Yarium wrote:

Maybe call it Aegis? I like this because I could see it in green and blue as well as just white. Different from hexproof in that in dodges board clears too

Like this post