It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Y-Design: Intensify
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:05 am 

Was trying to think of a blue/red keyword for creatures, but came up with this instead. It doesn't really fit, because you can Intensify both creature spells and non-creature spells.

Intensify (You may intensify this spell as you cast it. If you do, you may not cast any other spells this turn.)

Common Example:
Goblin Magmamancer |
Creature - Goblin Wizard | {C}
Intensify (You may intensify this spell as you cast it. If you do, you may not cast any other spells this turn.)
If you intensified Goblin Magmamancer as you cast it, it gains Haste and can't be blocked until end of turn.
[2/2]

Uncommon Example:
Ray of Flames |
Instant | {U}
Intensify (You may intensify Ray of Flames as you cast it. If you do, you may not cast any other spells this turn.)
Ray of Flames deals 3 damage to any target. If you intensified Ray of Flames, draw two cards.

Rare Example:
Acolyte of Lightning |
Creature - Human Wizard | {R}
Spells you control have Intensify. (You may intensify that spell as you cast it. If you do, you may not cast any other spells this turn.)
Whenever you cast a spell, if you intensified it, Acolyte of Lightning deals 3 damage to any target.
[3/3]

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Y-Design: Intensify
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:03 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
I feel like intensifying something is free often enough that the upsides need to be pretty marginal. Ray of Flames in particular feels like I'm getting a ton of value at very little cost.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:38 am 

Agreed, it needs to be pretty low extra. Ray of Flames (bad name) needs to cost at least 5 I think.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:48 pm 

its an awkward keyword because it has negative synergy with itself. If you're only running a few cards with intensify, it hardly changes your gameplay at all, and just reads as a free bonus. There are some impacts in the ability to sequence things, but as far as i can tell, that won't have much of an impact on gameplay in practice once the player has figured it out.

If you run a lot of cards with intensify though, then you start to have to choose which one you want to intensify each turn, which makes all cards with intensify worse.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:00 pm 

It's even more free on instants. Ray of Flames is always on.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:22 pm 

in theory you could be incentivized to use ray of flames during combat or in response to something which would have you choose to either draw 2 cards or cast something afterwards, although i think realistically you're rarely going to have to make a meaningful choice in that kind of scenario, since if its your turn and you think this sort of thing might come up you'll cast whatever sorcery-speed stuff you have pre-combat and if its not your turn you just dump your other instants first.

Like this post