It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:35 pm 

Found this concept on another card design forum and thought I'd start it here as well.

The winner of the round creates the set name, a brief background on the plane and its conflict, and the first common in the booster pack.

The booster pack will be created in the following order: 10 commons, 3 uncommons, and 1 rare/mythic rare.

Once the booster pack is complete, the set designer selects the winner. They can provide a short sentence or X/5 rating of all the designs as well as a short description on why the winner was decided.

The winner of that round will start the next round by naming the set, describing the plane and its conflict, and designing the first common.

This game will help you design cards at certain rarities (keeping NWO and the limited environment in mind) and within the context of a given set (keeping the themes, mechanics/keywords, and flavor in line with the previous designs). The goal is to create a realistic, balanced, but exciting booster pack at the end of the round.

You can make more than one card per each booster pack, but please do not do so back to back. Also, let's limit the number of non-evergreen keywords within a given booster pack to two: one that's new to the set and one returning keyword. This is the upper bound, boosters can have one or no keywords as well.

I'll kick this off!

Set Name: Expansion of Purecrest
Plane Name: Cireama (pronounced Sire-Ah-Ma)
Background: Cireama is a plane that's more or less untapped. The only civilization on the plane is a city named Purecrest. It covers less than 25% of the plane, while the wilderness covers the remaining 75%. There are five main factions:
1. Purecrest's government: These are the elites of Purecrest whose sole mission is the expand the city walls. ()
2. The citizens of Purecrest: This group represents the largest portion of Purecrest, but they have very little power. They hold the jobs that keep the city running including being enlisted in the Blestrian army. ()
3. The church of Purecrest: The church holds a seat in the government. Its main goals are to increase membership and -as the walls of the city grow- find the source of the magical energy on the plane because it is pure and divine (and must belong to their deity, and therefore to them). ()
4. Outcasts: These are individuals from the previous three groups who were tried by the High Court for unlawful behaviors and banished outside its walls. They have formed a competing religious group called Cult of the Bloom around a charismatic and loving necromancer named Hell-Cath, the Gravetender who makes plant zombies. ()
5. The Wilderness: The largest group on Cireama is loosely managed by the largest being on the plane: Mirth, God Timberkind. Mirth is a giant and the unofficial ruling is that the physically largest being on the plane controls the Wilderness. This group is mostly beasts, barbaric tribes, Timberkind (the race of giants), etc. ()
Conflict: Government is trying to expand the city, but Wilderness is resisting any efforts for them to do so. Outcasts are also attacking the city walls in rebellion. Church is trying to convert citizens, wilderness, and outcasts to their religion. Citizens are the pawns the government uses to fight their battles, build settlements outside the city, etc. and are often the ones sacrificed in the process.

Common #1:

Follower of the Bloom -
Creature - Human Shaman | C
Compost (When this creature dies, you may untap and put two +1/+1 counters on target land you control without counters on it. If you do, it becomes a 0/0 green and black Plant Zombie creature with haste. It’s still a land.)
Hell-Cath teaches that life begins from the mulch.
3/2

(PS: My blurb above is definitely more than expected for this contest - just wanted to use a set concept that I've been working on developing for a while now.)

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Booster Pack Game
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:53 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Parish Confessor :3::w:
Creature - Human Cleric
~ gets +1/+1 as long as you control a blue, black, or green creature.
2/4
The humblest rank of anointed, confessors are loved by all, even by those mistrustful of the church they serve.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:23 pm 

Mirth’s Judgement
Instant C
Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power to another target creature. If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead.
The only law in the Wilderness is survival of the fittest, and Mirth makes sure it is enforced.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:55 pm 

Rimslum Market
Creature - Wall (c)
Defender
When Rimslum Market enters the battlefield, lose 1 life and draw a card.
0/5

It's a wall set guys

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:34 pm 

Battlement Drake :4::u:
Creature - Drake
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card. Then, discard a card if you don't control a creature with defender.
3/3
It sits atop its lofty perch on the city walls, eyes scanning the wilderness below for hints of movement.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:34 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: T3KK-TP
EDIT: Flavor Text

Reconstruct | :w:
Sorcery {c}

Choose one
  • Return target artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.
  • Return target creature card with defender from your graveyard to your hand.

From rubble to ramparts.

100% Orange Juice
Borderlands 3

Last edited by Tekkahedron on Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:06 am 

Common #7

I think with 4c factions, we need some fixing.

Flagstone Golem
:4:
Artifact Creature - Golem {C}
:t:: Add :c:
:2:: Add one mana of any color.
"The power of the Wilderness may be titanic, but Purecrest will tame it. One cobble at a time, if necessary." Ephraim, Mayor of the 17th District
2/4

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:58 pm 

Common #8

Alms Collector :1::w:
Creature - Human Cleric
Lifelink
Exalted
1/1

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:26 pm 

Common #9:

Unsafe Terrain -
Enchantment - Aura | C
Enchant land you control
Whenever enchanted land becomes tapped, it deals 1 damage to each opponent.
The flame occultists have left little surprises sprinkled throughout the fields and forests.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:43 pm 

Common #10

Timberkind Clearcutter :4::r:
Creature - Giant
When ~ enters the battlefield, for each player, destroy target land that player controls.
4/3
"The great bonfire is tonight. Come, we must gather fuel."

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:22 pm 

Uncommon #1

Spite the Timberkind
:1::u:
Instant {U}
Return target creature to its owner's hand if it has the greatest power among creatures on the battlefield or is tied for the greatest power.
Draw a card

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Last edited by Tevish Szat on Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:41 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: T3KK-TP
To the battlefield from where?

100% Orange Juice
Borderlands 3

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:42 pm 

whoops, fixed

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:11 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Uncommom #2.

Wilderness Watchtower
Land (U)
Wlderness Watchtower enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add .
, reveal a land card from your hand: Add a mana of any color the revealed land could produce.
They watched not just for enemies, but for opportunities.

Cato

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:36 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Are there only 2 uncommons in booster packs now?

R/M #1

Founder's Colony
Land
Founder's Colony enters the battlefield tapped.
When Founder's Colony enters the battlefield, choose a color.
If a land would produce mana of the chosen color, it produces that much mana of another color instead.
: Add one mana of any color.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:50 am 

It should have been 3 uncommons. That was my bad in the original post. I've updated it now.

Here's an uncommon to finish it out:

Strangle with Vines -
Instant | U
Destroy target creature. If that creature was a land, search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
"Life is a delicate thing. Too hot? Dead. Too wet? Dead. Not enough oxygen..." - Hell-Cath.

I'll have grades up shortly.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:36 pm 

Grades:
  • Follower of the Bloom, Unsafe Terrain, & Strangle with Vines: My designs. No comments or grade required.
  • Parish Confessor: Solid common. If you can get this to be a 3/5 for 4, it is very powerful. Not sure the flavor is 100% there. 3/5
  • Mirth's Judgment: Another good common. Remake of the Tail Slash ability with an exile clause. Really like how this plays with Compost (preventing a Plant Zombie from being created). 4/5
  • Rimslum Market: Wasn't thinking of this set as a walls set, but it totally makes sense. Like the wall+Dusk Legion Zealot card draw. Solid design. 4/5
  • Battlement Drake: I have a soft spot for common fliers that draw a card. Took the wall theme and went with it. Great, balanced design overall. 4/5
  • Reconstruct: Another wall synergy card. Really like the flavor here. Nothing too flashy, but gets the job done. Solid common. 3/5
  • Flagstone Golem: Good callout on needing some common-level fixing. This guy is Prismite on steroids. May be a bit too efficient. 3/5
  • Alms Collector: Simple card introducing exalted as a mechanic in the set. It's hard to tell if this design is intended for the church, the government, or the citizens. 2/5
  • Timberkind Clearcutter: The first Timberkind from the set. Really like the land destruction direction with these giants. Might be a bit too strong as a common - really reads as an uncommon. 3/5
  • Spite the Timberkind: This is a tricky card to evaluate - it's cheap and provides card advantage, but can be blown out by instant speed pump. I like how it plays well against the strength of the Wilderness (their high power), but also loses a bit of flexibility by not being able to target the thing you want in some circumstances. 2/5
  • Wilderness Watchtower: Glad to see a land in the booster pack. This card is very flavorful and functional. 4/5
  • Founder's Colony: And the rare is another land! I feel like this land is particularly oppressive effectively stopping mono-colored strategies as well as half of most limited decks. 2/5

Top designs:
3. Mirth's Judgment by CuriousHeartlessness - this is a good example of a contextual card.
2. Battlement Drake by Cato - this is a great design for limited. Would likely be a top blue common.
1. Wilderness Watchtower by Dudibus - has a great flavor and function in a set made up of five 4 color factions

Dudibus gets to set the next criteria!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:25 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
... well crap ... forgot to add 'you control' to the rules text :/

edit: to clarify it was supposed to be a flexible five color land that reinforced your own four color strategies.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:04 pm 

Alms Collector has the word "Alms" in its name, its subtype is "Cleric", and the church colors are the 4 in which exalted has been a previously printed mechanic. I thought that would be enough to convey it alignment.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:07 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

The plane of Serinthia is a high fantasy Dungeons and Dragons style world and is shamelessly torn from one of the campaigns I DM'd a few years ago.

Set Name: Ancient Grudges
Plane Name: Serinthia (pronounced Sir-in-thea)
Background: Magic abounds on this world, but its practitioners have only recently discovered how to grant magic to non-users in the form of auras, potions and artifacts. This has caused a brutal shift in the direction the civilizations on Serinthia have taken.
1. The ancient civilization of Terex: The Terexians are deeply religious, former demon worshipers that went through a civil war 100 years ago when their Lich Demoness, Baaltrix, was overthrown. They have since turned from demon worship and have embraced the Desert Animals gods of their ancestors, hunting down the demon worshipers that still hide within their society. Colors: ,,.
2. The City State of Maldrus: Previously escaped slaves from Terex, they escaped the desert and have built a huge metropolis on a island. They forsake all religion, believing magic to the progenitor of life on Serinthia. ,,.
3. Rootwood Forest: A massive forest divides the main continent of Serinthia in half. Fae and monsters of all kinds live under its boughs.
a) The Elves of Shen-Themar (, ) - Having crossed over from the Feywilds, that have adopted simple, druidic lives. They consider themselves guardians of Rootwood and protectors of the Ancient Council. They have a strong hatred of humans since their homeland was destroyed, and their goddess, Shen-Themar, murdered by humans in a war that is still fresh in the minds of both races.
b) Orcs of Tal-Va (, ) - Crossing from the Shadowfey to escape enslavement at the hands of their god, they found Rootwood and settled in peacefully. They clashed with the elves of Shen-Themar, who considered them raiders, initially, but the Treefolk of Rootwood realized the potential for good in them and brokered peace between the races. It holds out of respect for the Treefolk, but it is tenuous.
c) Treefolk Children of Shen-Themar (, ). Shen-Themar was the first sentient life on Serinthia. She lumbered the forests for many thousands of years before the other races started to appear. As she wandered, she dropped seeds, which would grow into other treefolk eventually. There are now almost 100 living Treefolk in Rootwood and each of them are considered to be holy to its denizens. When they grow old, they wander to Shen-Themars resting place to root. The elves consider this place holy and since it still takes sometimes hundreds of years for the Treefolk to die, the elves care for this ancient council and lean on their wisdom in all matters.
4. The Holy State of Krullt: Many of the escaped slaves that were part of the exodus from Terex that settled in Maldrus became unhappy with the abandonment of religion and the gods that had forsaken them. They left as a pilgrimage and eventually discovered a massive skeleton of some kind of humanoid monster, whose flesh was entirely gone, leaving only the bleached bones. It collapsed on the edge of a giant inland sea called The Wound. The people took this fallen figure as a home initially, but it eventually grew into a religion and Krullt their fallen god. A massive city has now grown up in and around the skeleton of Krullt, with the quarters of the city named after the various parts (the belly of Krullt (slums), the heart of Krullt (merchants and commerce), the Head of Krullt (the seat of the Krulltonian religion). , , , , .
5. The Dwarves (, ): No one knows for certain what happened, but the while the dwarves are now seclusive, hiding mostly in their few remaining mountain fortresses, they once ruled the surface of Serinthia, as the many dwarven ruins that can be found in all regions across the world. For some reason, they abandoned their strongholds, gradually withdrawing into now near obscurity.
Conflict: Terex and Maldrus are at war. Krullt considers itself above such mortal conflicts, but is happy to lend aid where there is gold. Terex and Maldrus, having recently discovered how to create magic in the form of potions, aura and artifacts, allowing those that don't have magic to wield it, have started to produce them in earnest to try and get an edge over their enemies. This comes with many problems, mostly in the form of the natural ingredients (plants, minerals, animals and sentient creatures parts) that are needed for the creation of these items. Much to the alarm of the elves, orcs and children of Shen-Themar, they have turned their eyes on Rootwood as a source for these items, and the rape of the natural world has begun.

Common #1:

Voice of Shen-Themar
Creature ─ Elf Druid (C)
: Add .
: Add . Activate this ability only to cast spells with at least in its mana cost.
1/1

Cato

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next