Wedding Crasher 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 24
Total voters : 18
 Post subject: Jan 12 - 18, 2020
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:46 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
Last Week's Winner

Rush already had an expansive collection of Clasic designs, many thought he was wild to try again.
Spoiler

The Contenders

Cato wrote:
Basic Biology :bg:
Enchantment
Each creature assigns combat damage equal to its base power rather than its power.
The amount of damage needed to destroy creatures is equal to their base toughness.

Demand Tribute
Instant
Draw a card, then draw another card unless target opponent sacrifices a creature.

Riorvard wrote:
Punch

Instant
Target creature you control deals 3 damage to another target creature.

Wedding Crasher
:1::r::r:
Creature - Satyr
When Wedding Crasher enters the battlefield, choose one -
  • Gain control of all food
  • Unpair all paired creatures
  • Wedding Crasher gains haste until end of turn.
3/1

The Rules

How To Nominate:
Quote the post with the card you want to nominate. Delete everything in that post other than the card. Copy and paste your quote into a post on this thread.
If you did it right the quote tag should link to the original post.

What's Eligible?
Any fan-designed M:TG card posted since the most recent CotW thread went live is eligible. It doesn't even have to be the first time the card was posted. Yes, Un cards are valid. No, Yugioh cards are not.

What's Not Eligible?
  • Nominating your own cards. You can only nominate cards by other people
  • Nominating a card from your own repost, regardless of whether or not the original post was yours.
  • Nominations that result from collusion. If a nomination is made in exchange for some sort of favour, or under some sort of threat, then the nomination is void.
  • Cards that have already won CotW are not eligible for future CotWs.
  • Nominations that I consider to be jokes or trolling.

A Note On Contests:
Many contest holders feel that having an entrant nominated for CotW will skew the results of their contest. To prevent this while still allowing those cards their chance at nomination, any card submitted to a contest is eligible for nomination to CotW as though the date the contest (or pertinent round of the contest) ended was the date the card was posted.

Past Winners

----

----

----

----

----

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Jan 12 - 18, 2020
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:08 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Wedding crasher is a funny card, but Punch is on a "I'm surprised this isn't printed already" level.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:50 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Although it's rare I get nominated, I have to agree and say Punch has a lot of kick to it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:09 pm 

Remind me: can a token change controllers?
I still say green is the wrong color for the Basic Biology effect.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:20 pm 

I genuinely consider Basic Biology bad. LIke...why would you go "Hey what if I made a card that invalidated soooo many abilities while not actually being interesting." Also Green likes to get big why the hell would it have this?

Ooh Demand Tribute is nice. Though either an instant speed Edict with a draw tacked on or instant speed draw two seems strong. Even with opponent choosing this is a very "Bad for them either way" sort of thing.

I dislike Punch. Mainly because it's Green and I hate Green having Rabid Bite effects. A Rabid Bite that lets my Mana Dork kill stuff is just eugh.

Wedding Crashes in a Greek context sounds more Centaur than Satyr. It's middle effect is...niche and odd and probably useless outside of even more niche and odd situations. Gaining all food can easily whiff but is neat. I'll take this as a 1RR 3/1 Haste that sometimes does something else minor...in which case this looks mediocre to bad. This is a "I needed another three drop in draft" card. Also really wish it had punny flavor text.

Yes Tokens can change controller.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:29 am 

Mown wrote:
Anathematize
Sorcery
Target player sacrifices a creature of the creature type of your choice.
"Your kind is unwanted, whichever it is."

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:58 am 

I dislike Punch. Mainly because it's Green and I hate Green having Rabid Bite effects. A Rabid Bite that lets my Mana Dork kill stuff is just eugh.

I agree. It is functionally equivalent to "Target 1/1 creature gets +2/+0. It bites another target creature." The component pieces are green but I don't think the whole is green enough except maybe in a set like Shadowmoor. It's like why WotC does not embrace a creature with deathtouch and "When this enters the battlefield, it bites target creature."

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:43 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Punch is definitely a stretch, but for me it falls just within acceptable parameters for green. I agree that rabid bite and friends are a bit of a misfit for green flavorfully but I think it's something they need: while "green doesn't remove things, it just plays bigger things and swings through them" sounds great in theory, in practice it makes for pretty miserable games when your opponent just, like, plays a valuable utility creature you can't deal with. magic is a game of interactions, and giving green some form of removal is necessary to let it interact. fight does some of that, but fight is also a great way to get yourself 2-for-1'd, either voluntarily or because your opponent has a pump spell.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:13 pm 

I am not against green having removal. I am very pro-fight. I think they could pull back on bite spells. I think this card, specifically, would not pass the hybrid test for me unless they were needing to stretch for a hybrid set.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:01 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
BelangiaJo wrote:
Tragedy Befalls -
Instant - Story | U
Destroy target creature.
Foreshadow 1 (You may put target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard on the top of your library. If you do, exile this card.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:09 am 

I dislike and am against Bite in Green. But even if I were to accept it, I think that it should actually have to rely on the stats of the creature being used. Also I still say that Vivien's Invocation is a color pie break that should've required Red because even if what it does are Green components, the ability to go from empty board to a creature out and an enemy's creature dead from damage is not Green. Hate that card so much I will still bring it up, even if some people try to say dumb stuff like "Well it's expensive" or "It's not good" as if either of those excuse color breaks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:15 am 
YMtC Champ '12

YingLung wrote:
Bureaucratic Obstruction
Enchantment [U]
:3::The next time target player would draw a card this turn, that player investigates instead. Any player may activate this ability.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:11 pm 

The Time Loop
Enchantment - Saga (M)
I - Take an extra turn after this one.
II - End the turn. Remove all lore counters from The Time Loop.
"When am I?"
—Svan, Æthermage

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:28 pm 

Really don't think Punch belongs in green. At least Rabid Bite actually cares about your creature's power. Punch allows a goose to kill a cow. That's just not cricket.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:42 pm 

The Time Loop
Enchantment - Saga (M)
"When am I?"
—Svan, Æthermage

I love it, but it needs a III too not Auto sacrifice unless I am mistaken.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:46 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

The Time Loop
Enchantment - Saga (M)
"When am I?"
—Svan, Æthermage

From gatherer:

Once the number of lore counters on a Saga is greater than or equal to the greatest number among its chapter abilities, the Saga’s controller sacrifices it as soon as its chapter ability has left the stack, most likely by resolving or being countered. This state-based action doesn’t use the stack.

I believe this means the state-based action never gets to occur since the ability both ends the turn and clears the counters. But I've been wrong before.*

*a lot, actually

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:16 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

From gatherer:

Once the number of lore counters on a Saga is greater than or equal to the greatest number among its chapter abilities, the Saga’s controller sacrifices it as soon as its chapter ability has left the stack, most likely by resolving or being countered. This state-based action doesn’t use the stack.

I believe this means the state-based action never gets to occur since the ability both ends the turn and clears the counters. But I've been wrong before.*

*a lot, actually

wow, it uses SBAs? in that case yeah I believe you're correct.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:28 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

What happens if you remove a counter from it in response to the chapter ability with something like Clockspinning? Seems like the same should happen in this case. From what I see the chapter ending the turn isn't very relevant because the sacrifice happens when the chapter ability leaves the stack for any reason, but itself does not use the stack.

Re: Punch, it's definitely a more experimental card. My reasoning was that a card with "Target creature gets +2/+2 until EOT and then bites another target creature" would probably be within the color pie, so an effect that was a more limited version of that would probably be okay as well. 3 was chosen as the number because it seemed like relevant damage while not being too above the power of a common green creature you'd see in, say, a draft format.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:15 am 
YMtC Champ '12

Riorvard wrote:
What happens if you remove a counter from it in response to the chapter ability with something like Clockspinning? Seems like the same should happen in this case. From what I see the chapter ending the turn isn't very relevant because the sacrifice happens when the chapter ability leaves the stack for any reason, but itself does not use the stack.

You're right, the counter removal takes care of the sacrifice problem on its own. The "end the turn" clause is there just to limit what the card can do with repeated turns. It's still probably a broken card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:09 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Riorvard wrote:

You're right, the counter removal takes care of the sacrifice problem on its own. The "end the turn" clause is there just to limit what the card can do with repeated turns. It's still probably a broken card.

wait, reading over it again... this is just an incredibly complicated way to combine wilderness reclamation and paradox haze. it needs "II: do nothing" and then move the current II to III in order to actually give you extra turns.

Like this post