The Time Loop 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 21
Total voters : 13
 Post subject: Jan 19 - 25, 2020
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:35 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
Last Week's Winner

Much like a certain superhero Riovard can take down any opponent with a 3 damage instant.
Spoiler

The Contenders

Mown wrote:
Anathematize
Sorcery
Target player sacrifices a creature of the creature type of your choice.
"Your kind is unwanted, whichever it is."

BelangiaJo wrote:
Tragedy Befalls -
Instant - Story | U
Destroy target creature.
Foreshadow 1 (You may put target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard on the top of your library. If you do, exile this card.)

YingLung wrote:
Bureaucratic Obstruction
Enchantment
:3::The next time target player would draw a card this turn, that player investigates instead. Any player may activate this ability.

The Time Loop
[u]Enchantment - Saga (M)
I - Take an extra turn after this one.
II - End the turn. Remove all lore counters from The Time Loop.
"When am I?"
—Svan, Æthermage

The Rules

How To Nominate:
Quote the post with the card you want to nominate. Delete everything in that post other than the card. Copy and paste your quote into a post on this thread.
If you did it right the quote tag should link to the original post.

What's Eligible?
Any fan-designed M:TG card posted since the most recent CotW thread went live is eligible. It doesn't even have to be the first time the card was posted. Yes, Un cards are valid. No, Yugioh cards are not.

What's Not Eligible?
  • Nominating your own cards. You can only nominate cards by other people
  • Nominating a card from your own repost, regardless of whether or not the original post was yours.
  • Nominations that result from collusion. If a nomination is made in exchange for some sort of favour, or under some sort of threat, then the nomination is void.
  • Cards that have already won CotW are not eligible for future CotWs.
  • Nominations that I consider to be jokes or trolling.

A Note On Contests:
Many contest holders feel that having an entrant nominated for CotW will skew the results of their contest. To prevent this while still allowing those cards their chance at nomination, any card submitted to a contest is eligible for nomination to CotW as though the date the contest (or pertinent round of the contest) ended was the date the card was posted.

Past Winners

----

----

----

----

----

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Last edited by TPmanW on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Jan 19 - 25, 2020
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:43 pm 

Oh Anathematize slaps. Not the strongest edict as it is 3 drop, sorcery, and target opponent. But being able to limit what is sacced can be big, especially when they aren't running a deck with a lot of overlap in types so it is basically a non-targeting 'destroy target creature' that slides around indestructible.

What is a 'Story'? I get that it's probably a set thing or mechanic idea but like...everything is part of a story. Story is a pretty bad name for a mechanic. Also does it just mean it has Foreshadow? Because that's lame. Also Foreshadow is really only a Blue/Red mechanic. Black doesn't get back noncreatures (or rarely Artifacts, or that one time Lands but that was like one card), and White doesn't get instants/sorcs (or lands I think). Green can get them back as part of a general 'getting back cards' but I don't think they've ever been specifically instants or sorceries. Also not sure what's with the number. Also i don't care if being exiled on resolution is supposed to be a drawback, a Murder at same cost with no real downside that can get back an instant/sorc is too good. Hell you can use one without Foreshadowing anything (also this isn't a Foreshadowing. Since it came from your grave, if anything, this is a Callback), use another to Foreshadow it, then the next turn use the one you got back. So to put it short "Yeah, no. Even if I want it for Black, that's a no from me dawg."

Obstruction seems disgusting, especially as the ability can be used in response to someone cracking a Clue. I can imagine this is a lockdown deck that just stops people from drawing ever (I'm imagining something in commander where making obscene amounts of mana is easier).

So Time Loop...is basically 'After your postcombat main phase, untap all permanents you control, take an additional upkeep, then draw a card." Since you start the new turn but right after the draw it ends. I don't like it. One sided Eon Hub + Howling Mine is cool but in a way that makes it seem like you get extra turns just to...not...you might as well have not made the design at all.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:32 am 
YMtC Champ '12

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:33 am 
YMtC Champ '08

Anathematize really is one nice take on the proverbial "Choose a creature target opponent controls, they sacrifice it" Edict that nevertheless gives room for counterplay. Really neat design.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:31 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Mata Hari wrote:
Past or Future
Sorcery
Choose one —
• Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
• Search your library for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
"Two siblings we, two of three; one can't be touched, one can't be seen."

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:48 pm 

Eugh yeah, complete opposite. That's what I get for writing something up at nearly midnight while tired. My points still stand just uh...with that correction. I also forget Paradox Haze in an aura, it doesn't feel like one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:58 pm 

For any confusion, Foreshadow was a set mechanic from the You Make the Booster game:

Foreshadow N (You may put target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard into your library Nth from top. If you do, exile this card.)

Foreshadow 1 is an unusual case because it puts the card on top instead of the regular formatting.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:15 pm 

I see...I don't much like that. On one lesser hand, like I said, by grabbing from the grave it's a Callback not a Foreshadow. But also genuinely that is an Izzet mechanic that could maybe get thrown on some Green cards in a MH1 or Commander style set later on, it just has no place in White or Black (and unlike Green, other colors have to actually follow the pie).

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:25 pm 

Yeah, I definitely understand where you're coming from. I think sets have allowed mechanics similar to this be spread across colors in the past - flashback, adventure, explore, etc.

As for flavor, if the world was about telling stories (coded as instants and sorceries matter) there would be concessions that allow other colors to have instants and sorceries matter cards. Agreed that the story subtype is a little too cute and doesn't quite have as strong of an identity as I would have liked.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:10 am 
YMtC Champ '12

neru wrote:
Abandon Illusions
Instant
Target opponent sacrifices an enchantment.
When all that is left is you and the true weight of your choices, that is when you will decide who you are.

razorborne wrote:
Quicksilver Compass-
Artifact (C)
: You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield. If you do, return it to your hand at the beginning of the next end step. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
On Zendikar, the best compasses point toward the unknown.

Mown wrote:
Schism
Sorcery
Target player separates their hand into a face-up pile and a face-down pile, then discards the pile of your choice.
"Humans protect their inner thoughts with a shallow exterior. Which one of them will you give up?"

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:05 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
JV wrote:
The Labyrinth at Jarr
Legendary Land — Maze
, Exert the Labyrinth at Jarr: Add .

Anathema Knight
Creature — Nephilim Knight
First strike, protection from converted mana cost 2
"Ours are the only blades."