Total voters : 12
 Post subject: [CotW] March 16-22, 2020
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:27 pm 

Last Week: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25976

neru wrote:
Through Heaven's Eyes
Instant (C)
Scry 2, then each player draws a card.
"A single thread in a tapestry, though its color brightly shines, can never see its purpose in the pattern of the grand design." — Jethro, Kenite shepherd

theatog wrote:
Force of Abandonment
Instant
If it's not your turn, you may exile a red card from your hand rather than pay this spell's mana cost.
Your opponent can't search libraries this turn.
If this is an extra turn, end the turn.

Mown wrote:
Wake the World
Enchantment — Aura
Enchant land
Enchanted land is an 8/8 Elemental creature. It's still a land.
If enchanted creature is a Forest, it has vigilance. The same is true for Plains and lifelink, Islands and hexproof, Swamps and menace, and Mountains and trample.

Eph wrote:
Ender of Cycles -
Creature - Horror
Doomwalk (Ender of Cycles is unblockable if defending player's life total is equal to or less than its power)
:b:: Ender of Cycles gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
"It is not their time yet. But for the right price, it could be."
5/5

Cato wrote:
Jenara's Champion :3::g:
Creature - Human Knight (R)
Exalted
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, it can't be blocked by more than one creature this turn.
3/3

Riorvard wrote:
Festival of the Daring (M)

Enchantment
You can cast spells only during your turn and you can cast no more than two spells each turn.
You may cast spells by paying life equal to their umbra rather than their mana cost. (A card's umbra is the generic portion of its mana cost.)

Mown wrote:
Cloud Cape
Enchantment — Aura (C)
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has flying.
When ~ enters the battlefield, look at the top X cards of your library, where X is enchanted creature's umbra. Put one of them into your hand, and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order. (A creature's umbra is the generic portion of its mana cost.)

Poll closes 7 days from this posting or when TPman closes it.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:04 pm 

This was a great week for fantasy fantasy card designs overall.

My votes:
  • Through Heaven's Eyes: This is a simple approach to white card draw that I think it justifiable at common.
  • Wake the World: This is the type of design that I generally like. It's fun and plays differently depending on the makeup of your deck. A Timmy's dream.
  • Ender of Cycles: Doomwalk is an excellent fit for the thread in which this card was designed. It feels very black because when active, you're doomed.
  • Jenara's Champion: This, imo, is the best design of the week. It's simple, yet complex. It's familiar, but different.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:57 pm 

I liked Through Heaven's Eyes, Wake the World, and Force of Abandonment.

Force of Abandonment needs updated wording though to work with multiple opponents.

I do not quite understand Jenara's Champion. It's not a bad card at all, but I figured on COTW we're trying to come up with new stuff and not-so-much mix'n'match. Is there something I am missing here? It seems like a draft uncommon you would see in Shards of Alara block. Though, admittedly, it would be a pretty sick uncommon for draft, and probably too powerful to print at common.

Or maybe it was meant to be a draft card, and reviewed as such?

More guidance on how to vote would be helpful :(

edit: Wake the World is fun times with Prismatic Omen.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:18 am 
YMtC Champ '12

Vote for whatever standards make sense to you. At this point, I'm not even consistent week to week. If I find reasons to like a card, I'll nominate/vote for it.

I like Champion. It fits the Alara build in quite a neat and appealing way. It's difficult making a card both look good and like it should probably already exist.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:18 pm 

I like Through Heaven's Eyes and Jenara's Champion.
Ender of Cycles is cool, but I'm not sure about Doomwalk as a keyword. It's flavorful, but not really keyword material IMO. But yeah, the card itself is pretty awesome.
Wake the World is also interesting, but I would have make it Forest-Trample and Mountain-First strike or something like that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:34 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Quote:
Ender of Cycles is cool, but I'm not sure about Doomwalk as a keyword. It's flavorful, but not really keyword material IMO.

Yeah, it seems pretty feelsbad in multiples. Like, having one lethal doomwalk creature is unblockable lethal. Having several doomwalk creatures that are lethal in combination sorta intuitively *feels* like they should be unblockable, but they aren't. Having doomwalk on multiple creatures doesn't change the unblockable kill threshold.

Quote:
I do not quite understand Jenara's Champion. It's not a bad card at all, but I figured on COTW we're trying to come up with new stuff and not-so-much mix'n'match. Is there something I am missing here? It seems like a draft uncommon you would see in Shards of Alara block. Though, admittedly, it would be a pretty sick uncommon for draft, and probably too powerful to print at common.

If it feels like a card that could actually exist, then I am completely satisfied with my work.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:26 pm 

clustro wrote:
More guidance on how to vote would be helpful :(

There are no standards for voting, but it is true that the cards that get nominated and voted for tend to not be just 'solid' cards but cards that are unique and/or tickles people's fancies in some way.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:49 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Eurus wrote:
Wake the World is also interesting, but I would have make it Forest-Trample and Mountain-First strike or something like that.

I had Trample in green originally, but working with an 8/8 body I shifted the keywords around a bit, specifically because red didn't really have anything else appealing.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:47 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

BelangiaJo wrote:
Bad Ideas -
Instant | U
Discard a card.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may return Bad Ideas to your hand from your graveyard.
Fast and furiously, he cast curiously, the novice little goblin mage.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:30 am 
YMtC Champ '12

neru wrote:
Racket :b:
Sorcery (C)
Target player discards a card and gets a debt counter. (Players may pay to lose a debt counter. A player loses 1 life at the beginning of their end step if they have any number of debt counters.)
At its highest levels, the Orzhov is horrifyingly beautiful, full of blinding virtue and masked sin. At the street level, dealing with the Orzhov is little different from dealing with any other gang.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:26 am 

Through Heaven's Eyes...so a White Opt. I like it. Simple but good.

Foce of Abandonment - Very niche but a niche that is usable. Just exile a red card to shut someone down hard. Has the bonus side effect that if it's an extra turn and you cast this in response to a card, it acts as a super counterspell since all spells on the stack get exiled. I foresee the best format for this being cEDH.

Wake the World - Is this really not a name already? Wild. So of course this wants to go in with stuff like Prismatic Omen or Dryad of the Ilysian Grove, but even just in a format with dual lands this is really good. Just normal Green is probably the weakest but it's still an 8/8 you can block and swing with; and having the native one be the weakest is probably the smartest option.

Ender of Cycles - Definitely don't like Doomwalk as an effect. I'm not really feeling this card.

Jenara's Champion - Huh really surprised this doesn't already exist. Honestly feels more Uncommon than Rare to me.

Festival of the Daring - So you just stock up on high devotion cards and then cast them for free, but even other cards are just some life. Feels like Bolas's Citadel and Fires of Invention had a baby who I'd have to see in play to know how strong it is but based off of those two I get bad feelings about this.

Cloud Cape - So a simple enchantment but one that has like better "ETB draw a card" which would already be the fair thing on this. I'm not a fan. Should probably be 2U. And for both of these, I'm just not a fan of the Umbra mechanic. Unlike Devotion which pushes some more color heavy designs, I just don't see what interesting thing Umbra can make for a set design.

Voting: The first three

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:37 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
Out of the Loop
Sorcery
Take an extra turn after this one. Exile a target permanent until the end of that turn. Exile Out of the Loop.
- What are you all talking about? Have I missed something that went over yesterday?
- Brother, it seems that you just missed yesterday,
period.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post