It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:15 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
The underground catacombs of Val'Anash are filled to the brim with danger and treasure. A party of adventurers sets forth together to claim its riches, be it through swiftness, cunning, strength, magic, or the favor of the gods and the elements. You are one such adventurer. Create your character:

Criteria: make a legendary creature card representing an adventurer and their very particular set of skills with converted mana cost 3 or less. You have 48 hours.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:10 am 

Roh'oof Tohd, Waking Dreamer
Legendary Creature - Vedalken Wizard
:x:, : Look at the top X cards of your library. Reveal a permanent card with converted mana cost X or less and create a token that is a copy of it. Exile the revealed card and put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
1/3

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:20 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Wolfgang von Kaiser
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior
Menace, Vigilance
Wolfgang von Kaiser can block an additional creature.
"Somebody should tell those four goblins not to bite off more than they chew next time."
[2/3]

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:18 am 

Bel, Rogue of All Trades
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue (R)
Prowess, Deathtouch, Menace
: Scry 1.
: Each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life.
: Target creature can't block this turn.
1/3

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:09 pm 

I said converted mana cost 3 or less, Uselesscommon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:23 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

Koogan, the Fashionably Late
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Socialite (M)
Vigilance, trample
Koogan must block and be blocked each turn if able.
Creatures blocking or blocked by Koogan have first strike.
Koogan gets +X/+0, where X is the damage dealt to it this turn.
Before Koogan's arrival, it was difficult to know if any given party was in fact a party at all.
0/6

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:59 pm 

Elisa, Library Assistant
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue
First strike
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, that player exiles cards from the top of their library until they exile an instant or sorcery card. For as long as that card remains exiled, you may cast it and spend mana as though it were mana of any colour to do so. Put the rest of the exiled cards on the bottom of that player's library in a random order.
"Library assistant? Really?"
"...Technically."

2/1

Last edited by shadow amber on Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:30 pm 

Eyegon, Vagrant Lord

Legendary Creature - Cyclops Berserker (R)
Whenever Eyegon, Vagrant Lord attacks, exile the top five cards from your library and put a +1/+1 counter on Eyegon.
Eyegon gets +7/+7 as long as there are no cards in your library.
2/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:45 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Kolbrod, Cenn of Gloomeadow
Legendary Creature — Kithkin Shaman
, , Exile a creature card from your graveyard: Create a 2/2 colorless Spirit creature token with lifelink.
, , Exile a creature card from your graveyard: Draw a card and reveal it. You lose life equal to its converted mana cost.
His folk is a different kind of kindred spirit.
1/3

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:33 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Rzztt of the Dual Iris
Legendary Creature — Homunculus Wizard
Hexproof, double strike
If you would draw cards, you may pay . If you do, draw twice that many cards instead.
If an instant or sorcery spell you control would deal damage, you may pay . If you do, it deals twice that much damage instead.
If you would gain life, you may pay . If you do, you gain twice that much life instead.
1/1

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:18 pm 

Enters Hell-Cath...
A necromancer with a green thumb.

Hell-Cath, the Gravetender
Legendary Creature - Human Shaman | MR
Whenever a creature you control dies, put a +1/+1 counter on another target creature you control.
Exile a land card from your graveyard: Create a 2/2 green and black Plant Zombie creature token.
2/3

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:47 am 

Ying: This is functionally almost identical to just putting the permanent onto the battlefield. I don't really see much of a point to the added token and memory issues, and I also don't see why this card is blue instead of green (or at the very least U/G) when Genesis Wave effects are usually green. Still, I think it's a pretty cool card that leads to some interesting decision trees and looks like it would be fun to play, and it honestly seems pretty balanced.

ELC: Reminds me of Two-Headed Dragon. I think it's a useful and flavorfully and mechanically resonant combination of abilities, and fits its color combo well, but it's not much use on a body that small, it could probably use an extra stat on it without being imbalanced for 3cmc in 2 colors, and it doesn't quite feel legendary.

UC: The criteria said "with converted mana cost 3 or less".

Rush: This feels completely oppressive and imbalanced. It can simultaneous be a one-sided The Abyss and 5/6 wall on many boards, and your opponent needs either 6+ power worth of guys or a 2/3 or something to stop you from decimating their board every turn. Both its swinginess and its sheer power level are way out of balance.

Amber: I can't find an Ophidian effect in magic under 3cmc, and I think that's for a reason. Grenzo, Havoc Raiser and Robber of the Rich are the closest I could find, and you'll only get a card from them about half the time because you can't play any lands you get, as well as having a casting time restriction. I think this is a bit too pushed even in 2 colors. I think the design is both interesting and fun though, but it should probably get a numbers tweak to balance it. Maybe a 2/2 for 3?

Eurus: This reminds me of Raging Ravine, but with a fun little twist that will probably not come up that often, but adds a lot of flavor (and might have added relevance depending on the set it's in). It's probably pretty balanced, and its trinket text adds a lot of feeling to an otherwise stock-standard card.

Mown: I don't like how the two abilities compete for the same resource (creature cards in graveyard), since it makes having two of them a bit redundant. The first ability also seems a lot stronger than the second in most cases, a 2/2 with lifelink is usually worth more than a card even without the drawback, and the asymmetry between them becomes more pronounced when they're competing for the same limited fuel supply. I like the symmetry though, both from an aesthetic standpoint and a design standpoint, with the lifelink from one offsetting the Bob effect of the other. It's probably one of the most reasonably balanced cards here as well. If I could tweak it a bit I'd probably make the first ability exile white creature cards and the second ability exile black ones.

Parad: I admire your dedication to symmetry. It's hard to evaluate but it's probably balanced based on how slow and mana hungry it is, and man is it cool. I like that it inherently has a use even without any enablers because you can just pay :1::u: on your drawstep to double up. It kinda likes when you build around it, but it's fine if you don't and it works with such a wide variety of cards anyways. The number of abilities and the way they all seem to fit together is quite impressive.

Belangia: Abilities whose only cost is to exile cards from your graveyard are very, very, difficult to balance, especially in eternal formats. I don't think you should have this ability on any card without a :t: or mana cost. Whether this card is balanced or not will depend on the format it's in, but "free resources" and "graveyard stuff" are two if the biggest third rails in magic balance. I like the symmetry of its abilities, they're flavorful, synergistic, and are both great fits for the colors this card is in, but seeing that 2nd ability without a mana cost is setting off alarm bells in my head.

Rankings:
Winner!: Parad
Runners-up: Eurus and Mown

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:25 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
A card is better in edh.
I considered doing the color thing you talked about, but ultimately I wanted it to come down to context on which one to use. I could probably see the 2/2 being better when ideally I wanted the card draw to be the default mode, but a 1/1 flier felt too weak. That said, the card draw fuels the ability with more potential creatures, so I'm not entirely sure which one is the best, outside of obvious "I need a topdeck" and "they're killing me" situations.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:36 am 

Quote:
I don't really see much of a point to the added token and memory issues, and I also don't see why this card is blue instead of green

Tokens can't be flickered or bounced, or returned from the graveyard. This limits some of the permanents that can be used, and adds a sense of illusion. I suppose it could have been part green, but I think it's sufficiently within blue's color pie to make a copy of something from your library.

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:42 am 

Quote:
UC: The criteria said "with converted mana cost 3 or less".

I am sure that criteria was absolutely necessary and I really missed the mark by a mile there :V

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:06 am 

Yinglung: This is functionally almost identical though, outside of a few niche cases. None of the situations you've described are things that will happen in most games of magic. I don't think there's enough of a difference that it makes this ability not green. While blue does copy permanents, it pretty much only does that when they're on the battlefield, and even then only creatures and artifacts. I can't find a single blue card that makes permanent token copies of cards from a player's hand or library.

UC: I made converted mana cost part of the criteria because I wanted to the creatures to be small and not very individually powerful, because that's part of the contest's flavor. You're welcome to submit a revised design in the 2nd thread if you'd like, but you can't expect people to grade your cards if you don't follow the criteria.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:51 am 

Bel, Impovisational Rogue
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue (R)
Haste, Deathtouch, Menace
Discard an artifact card: This creature gains +2/+2 until the end of turn. Activate this ability only once each turn.
In a pinch, any item lying around is a trap, a single-use weapon, or a distraction.
1/3

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:09 am 

personally i justified it comparing to cards like thief of sanity and chaos wand

it finds the same things as wand, while wand is colourless and lets you cast it for free (which is admittedly only sometimes upside and can be downside), and doesn't require you to get in with a creature
thief of sanity lets you cast their best card out of their top 3, which while not entirely the same is arguably somewhat similar
this card is both less evasive and easier to kill than thief, in exchange for always (or most likely) getting you a relevant card you still have to cast

anyway i think your evaluation is probably correct but i figured i'd give some sort of justification, and 3 cmc 2/2 or 3/1 just didn't really feel right

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:17 pm 

UC: ironically enough for a creature with haste and menace, this seems to be a much better blocker than it is an attacker. The typing requirement severely limits the level of discard value you can get from it, as the blocks with big discard/graveyard synergy generally don't have much in the way of artifact synergy, and there's no flashback/madness stuff. On the other hand, maybe whatever hypothetical format this is in has some enablers for it. The combination of menace+1 power deathtouch+pumpthreat is a potent one, although obviously vulnerable to instant speed tricks, and I think it should lead to some interesting combat. A card like this that seems so designed for synergy is really hard to evaluate in an abstract sense without knowing what cards you can play with it, but at the very least it's interesting and the flavor really works.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:21 pm 

Test User (1)
Cato wrote:
Ying: This is functionally almost identical to just putting the permanent onto the battlefield. I don't really see much of a point to the added token and memory issues, and I also don't see why this card is blue instead of green (or at the very least U/G) when Genesis Wave effects are usually green. Still, I think it's a pretty cool card that leads to some interesting decision trees and looks like it would be fun to play, and it honestly seems pretty balanced.

I think making it token is the exact reason why this is in blue. like how back from the brink can be in mono blue and not black

Like this post