It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:00 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:

THE DRILL

This is the most prestigious contest on the boards. Happens once a year, takes about half the year to complete. Winner gets a title.

There are seven rounds of open entry. Entries are ranked by our esteemed judges, ty, raz, and Q. Those rankings will be converted into points via spreadsheet magic. At the end of those seven rounds, the seven people with the seven highest total scores get into our Top 8. The eighth spot is awarded to the winner of a Wild Card round, which is graded in the same way. Anyone who participates in all seven entry rounds shall be eligible for the Wild Card round.

Top 8 is QF/SF/GF format. Instead of our three judges, the community votes.

THE BLURB

Companion was arguably the most controversial mechanic since Affinity. It prompted the first ever ban of a card that wasn't Conspiracy-, ante-, dexterity-, or subgame-based, and when that turned out to not be enough, Magic made gaming news headlines when, for the first time, they actually changed the rules of a standard-legal mechanic just to rein in the damage. Not since Memory Jar had a reaction from Wizards been so intense, and not since Eldrazi Winter had non-Standard formats been so warped.

Wizards, apparently, was trying to emulate cards like Reno Jackson from its biggest competitor, Hearthstone. Compare Reno to Lutri, the Spellchaser; Baku the Mooneater to Obosh, the Preypiercer; Genn Greymane to Gyruda, Doom of Depths.

I think this was a noble endeavor. I love those cards in that game. But clearly, something went wrong. Is Magic simply not designed for such things? Is Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign as far is it should go? Maybe. But even Legends of Runeterra is exploring it with Purrsuit of Perfection, so in one way or another, players seem to be enticed by the idea of only being able to have access to certain effects if you build your deck a certain way. Restrictions breed creativity, right? So regardless of how Companion worked out, the general idea of a deckbuilding restriction explicitly leading to a gameplay advantage is something that players gravitate to, and therefore, I'd argue, worth exploring. How would you do it?

THE PROMPT

Make a card that explores the design space of deckbuilding restrictions.

Standings

Deadline: Noon EST on Monday, 8/10/2020

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:47 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Conflux Incarnate
Legendary Creature-Avatar (M)
If your starting deck contains only multicolored cards and land cards, Conflux Incarnate costs less to cast.
Whenever you cast a multicolored instant or sorcery spell, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Whenever another nontoken multicolored creature enters the battlefield under your control, create a token that's a copy of that creature.
5/5

Flavor is supposed to be Conflux/Alara Reborn; I hope that's coming through.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:07 pm 

Brainburner Bairn
Creature - Ouphe
, : Name a card. Exile cards from the top of your library until you exile the named card. Until end of turn, you may cast the named card without paying its mana cost. If you do, lose life equal to the number of cards you own that were exiled this turn. Activate this ability only if your starting library included twenty more cards than the minimum required amount.
3/3

This may still need cleaned up a bit, but that's the gist of it.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:22 pm 

QQ: Do cards like Relentless Rats count?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:29 pm 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: Ø
In this one judge’s humble opinion, yes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:44 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
I'mma say yes to Relentless Rats. (No to, say, Lore Seeker tho. I'm talking about Constructed. Anything that significantly encourages you to build your deck in a drastically different way, beyond just something like "this works best with a really low curve" or "only monogreen can realistically play this")

Fine | Kaheera, the Orphanguard | Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign | Primal Surge
Not really what i had in mind | Leaf-Crowned Elder | Ashling's Prerogative | Gaddock Teeg

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:41 pm 

Kami of the Blank Canvass
:w::w:
Creature - Spirit {R}
When Kami of the Blank Canvass enters the battlefield, reveal your library. Put a +1/+1 counter on Kami of the Blank Canvass for each color other than White among the revealed cards. If no +1/+1 counters are put on Kami of the Blank Canvass this way, exile target creature. Shuffle your library.
Some wish to have all the colors of life shared with them, others wish to share their emptiness with the world.
0/1

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:04 pm 

Misunderstood Loner -
Creature - Human Peasant | U
When Misunderstood Loner enters the battlefield, reveal your library to all players, then shuffle it. If no cards named Misunderstood Loner were revealed this way, put three +1/+1 counters on it. If one or two cards named Misunderstood Loner were revealed this way, put two +1/+1 counters on it. If three or more cards named Misunderstood Loner were revealed this way, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
0/1

"other ideas"

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:30 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Dreamhaze Canopy
Land - Forest
(: Add ).
~ enters the battlefield tapped unless you pay 2 life.
, Return ~ to its owner's hand: Reveal a nonland card from your hand and put it onto the battlefield facedown as a copy of ~. Activate this ability only if you could cast a sorcery.
While the forest sleeps, the creatures within roam.

Intended to be a five card cycle.

Edit: More geared towards Modern and Legacy play with fetchlands, but the goal is to deviate from traditional mana curves by turning business spells into lands while allowing the morphlands to be used later. Could mean some more spells than lands, could also mean more higher cmc cards.

Last edited by EpicLevelCommoner on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:31 am 

Gyruda's Aspirant
Aspiration Creature - Human Warlock (R)
(You may reveal a single aspiration from your starting deck before shuffling it.)
If you revealed this aspiration, you start the game with an emblem with "At the beginning of each end step, if you've cast a spell with an even converted mana cost this turn, draw a card" and "When you cast a spell with an odd converted mana cost, you lose this emblem."
Spells you cast with even converted mana costs cost less to cast.
2/4

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:53 pm 

Ruining Fork :3:
Legendary Artifact [M]
When Ruining Fork enters the battlefield, reveal your library and exile all land cards from it, then shuffle your library.
At the beginning of your upkeep, as long as there are more land cards you own in exile than there are cards in your library, exile the top card of your library and draw a card. Otherwise, scry 1 and exile the top card of your library.
There are sounds cannot be unheard, and cursed are they that make them.

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:11 pm 

I'm surprised Ashling's Perogative is in the "Not really right" list. And how the heck am I second place. Even just after round one that's surprising and means I'll have to put in more effort than usual.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:31 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I'm surprised Ashling's Perogative is in the "Not really right" list.

yeah, I'm a little confused by that as well. maybe it's because you can decide which side you want to be on?

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:42 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Ultimately it's up to the judges, not me. I used words like fine and not really in an effort to not be too dogmatic about it. Use your discretion :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:37 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
Elusive Mongoose
Creature -- Mongoose
Hexproof
If this card is in your starting deck, your minimum starting deck size is increased by 3.
3/3
Many still believe that its existence is merely legendary, facbricated by merchants to charge a premium for ordinary pelt.

-- The main mistake with companion is that it tried to mimic commander in other formats by increasing consistency...
-- Instead, I'm trying to mimic commander by decreasing consistency.

I'd want to rule this so it's still playable in commander and brawl. It'd probably have to increase your maximum deck size too. But I'm not sure that this would confuse people enough to have ugly reminder text about it.

Last edited by arathinius on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:39 pm 

Tryvyza, Crossroads Bargainer
Legendary Creature - Demon Illusion
Flying, trample
When ~ enters the battlefield, reveal the top seven cards of your library. Exile each nonland card revealed this way that shares a mana cost with another card revealed this way or with a permanent you control, then lose 2 life for each card exiled this way. Put all other cards revealed this way into your hand.
4/4

Last edited by CuriousHeartless on Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:45 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Soulblight Alchemist
Creature - zombie wizard
haste
Whenever ~ attacks you may exile a specter and a red instant or sorcery from your graveyard. If you do ~ deals 3 damage to target player or planeswalker. That player or that planeswalker’s controller discards two cards.
He's cooking up corruption
2/2

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:59 pm 

Nexus of Creation -
Sorcery
Exile cards from the top of your library until the total converted mana costs of the exiled cards are equal to or more than 7. Then, for each card exiled this way, cast it without paying its mana cost. If it is a land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped.
Existence is a matter of wills.

Last edited by Confused on Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:26 am 

Balthazar, Grand Magus -
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard [M]
, : Exile the top X cards of your library, then cast each card exiled this way with in its mana cost without paying its mana cost. in that card is equal to X. Exile spells cast this way after they resolve.
"power and imagination are two sides of the same coin"
2/4

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:51 pm 

Properly named mine, as well as changing it up a little. Fought with myself on remaining at 7 cards or dropping to 5, but finally kinda went "Even a deck built around this is likely to have some redundancies" and just amped up the life loss for when you do have to lose something.

Like this post