It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:00 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:

THE DRILL

This is the most prestigious contest on the boards. Happens once a year, takes about half the year to complete. Winner gets a title.

There are seven rounds of open entry. Entries are ranked by our esteemed judges, ty, raz, JV, and Q. Those rankings will be converted into points via spreadsheet magic. At the end of those seven rounds, the seven people with the seven highest total scores get into our Top 8. The eighth spot is awarded to the winner of a Wild Card round, which is graded in the same way. Anyone who participates in all seven entry rounds shall be eligible for the Wild Card round.

Top 8 is QF/SF/GF format. Instead of our judges, the community votes.

THE BLURB

Each round has been, in some way, a riff off the number of the round it was. So this time we're gonna riff off the phrase "Wild Card". In poker, the Joker, or whichever card is wild, can stand in for any other card. And while CCGs often have a currency like shards or dust or coins that can be used to craft cards, a Wild Card can simply become any card you want. You could say it's… an alternate cost.

THE PROMPT

Make a card with an alternate cost. (Having "rather than pay this spell's mana cost" in its rules text verbatim is the most straightforward interpretation of what I mean, but anything else that allows you to cast your card in some other way besides what's printed in the upper-right corner is fair game.)

The following players are eligible for the Wild Card Round:

YingLung
    LilyStorm
    AzureShade
    BelangiaJo
    shadow amber
    purplebackpack89
    Cato

Deadline: Friday December 18th @ noon EST.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:12 pm 

Modal Double-Faced Cards have opened up an interesting option that I think I'll try out.

Front card:
Shatter the Keystone
Sorcery (R)
Destroy target artifact or land. Until the start of your next turn, the controller of the destroyed card cannot cast spells that share a color with mana that card could have produced.
Shadowshape (You may cast this card face down for . Turn it face up as it resolves for its shadowshape cost.)

Back card:
Shadowball
Instant
When you cast this spell, choose one:
- Scry 2
- Deal 2 damage to any target.
- Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Last edited by AzureShade on Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:30 pm 

Devilish Deal -
Sorcery | C
If you discarded a card this turn, you may cast this spell without paying its additional cost.
As an additional cost to cast this spell, discard a card.
Draw two cards.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:06 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
I've decided to make a Spellmorph card. (Spellmorph Raise Dead, printed in the Mystery booster, is so far the only card to use this).
I wanted to make something that would be interesting if you essentially sacked a creature to get it. Decided to go with something that rewards you for attacking alone.

Mistform Blessing
Instant (U)
Target creature gets +2/+2 and gains first strike until end of turn. If that creature is attacking alone, it instead gets +4/+4 and gains indestructible until end of turn.
Spellmorph (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for . Cast it any time for its spellmorph cost.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:31 am 

Shade of Calamity
Creature - Shade
Shade of Calamity gets +1/+1 for each Wastes you control.
: Shade of Calamity gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Remnant :c::b: (You may cast this face down as a Wastes basic land with ": Add :c:." for :2:. Turn it face up any time for its remnant cost.)
0/1
Wind blows, piling up and clearing away sands from tombs and ruins. The shades of the lost city howl in harmony with it.

My thoughts on Remnant:
This allows for a slightly accelerated bigger drop in the early game, at the cost of tempo and requiring a deck that uses a lot of permanents with remnant. While the cards are fairly safe as lands, the tension between having a larger mana base and having the actual permanent means that they they stay as lands until absolutely necessary. I don't think there will be any confusion between remnant and morph, as players most often keep their lands separate from their other permanents.

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Last edited by YingLung on Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:18 am 

Mind Leak
Sorcery
Target player discards a card.
Draw a card.
Overload

did i do this before
did someone else do this before
i don't even know, hopefully not

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:01 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Prophesied End :4::w::b:
Sorcery
Suspend 2 :1::w::b:
You may destroy all creatures. If you don't, return Prophesied End to its owner's hand.
The book of Tal describes the unthinkable horrors that will be come to pass at the end of days. The prophecy hangs over every generation of Kor like a sword over a convict's neck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:00 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Kinda don't wanna close this without Lily. I'll send her w PM and reassess in some hours. Y'all can feel free to keep editing your cards and whatnot.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:27 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Im at work, thought it was 8pm fsr not noon idk what I was thinking. Give me like 4 hours. Not like its getting looked at by judges anytime soon anyway :P

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:32 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Devil's Gambit
Sorcery
You may cast ~ for less. If you do, choose an opponent. That player may search their library for a nonland card, reveal it, put it into their hand, then shuffle their library.
Choose a nonland card name. Search target player’s graveyard, hand, and library for all cards with that name and exile them. Then that player shuffles their library.
Anything your heart desires, for the price of one heart.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:15 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
AzureShade wrote:
Modal Double-Faced Cards have opened up an interesting option that I think I'll try out.

Front card:
Shatter the Keystone
Sorcery (R)
Destroy target artifact or land. Until the start of your next turn, the controller of the destroyed card cannot cast spells that share a color with mana that card could have produced.
Shadowshape (You may cast this card face down for . Turn it face up as it resolves for its shadowshape cost.)

Back card:
Shadowball
Instant
When you cast this spell, choose one:
- Scry 2
- Deal 2 damage to any target.
- Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

BelangiaJo wrote:
Devilish Deal -
Sorcery | C
If you discarded a card this turn, you may cast this spell without paying its additional cost.
As an additional cost to cast this spell, discard a card.
Draw two cards.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I've decided to make a Spellmorph card. (Spellmorph Raise Dead, printed in the Mystery booster, is so far the only card to use this).
I wanted to make something that would be interesting if you essentially sacked a creature to get it. Decided to go with something that rewards you for attacking alone.

Mistform Blessing
Instant (U)
Target creature gets +2/+2 and gains first strike until end of turn. If that creature is attacking alone, it instead gets +4/+4 and gains indestructible until end of turn.
Spellmorph (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for . Cast it any time for its spellmorph cost.)

YingLung wrote:
Shade of Calamity
Creature - Shade
Shade of Calamity gets +1/+1 for each Wastes you control.
: Shade of Calamity gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Remnant :c::b: (You may cast this face down as a Wastes basic land with ": Add :c:." for :2:. Turn it face up any time for its remnant cost.)
0/1
Wind blows, piling up and clearing away sands from tombs and ruins. The shades of the lost city howl in harmony with it.

My thoughts on Remnant:
This allows for a slightly accelerated bigger drop in the early game, at the cost of tempo and requiring a deck that uses a lot of permanents with remnant. While the cards are fairly safe as lands, the tension between having a larger mana base and having the actual permanent means that they they stay as lands until absolutely necessary. I don't think there will be any confusion between remnant and morph, as players most often keep their lands separate from their other permanents.

Mind Leak
Sorcery
Target player discards a card.
Draw a card.
Overload

Cato wrote:
Prophesied End :4::w::b:
Sorcery
Suspend 2 :1::w::b:
You may destroy all creatures. If you don't, return Prophesied End to its owner's hand.
The book of Tal describes the unthinkable horrors that will be come to pass at the end of days. The prophecy hangs over every generation of Kor like a sword over a convict's neck.

LilyStorm wrote:
Devil's Gambit
Sorcery
You may cast ~ for less. If you do, choose an opponent. That player may search their library for a nonland card, reveal it, put it into their hand, then shuffle their library.
Choose a nonland card name. Search target player’s graveyard, hand, and library for all cards with that name and exile them. Then that player shuffles their library.
Anything your heart desires, for the price of one heart.

Best of luck to our final contestants!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:12 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
on break for the next couple weeks so I should be able to get this done fairly quickly.

:duel:

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:24 am 

Rescued from page 2.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:15 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

oh dang I forgot. sorry everyone. working on this now.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:57 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

comments

rankings

all in all, a bit of a weird round. no one's cards were actively bad, but a lot of them had small-to-medium problems with a couple clear standouts.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:00 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

out of curiosity, Q, how did you score the Wild Card? I always used most pairwise victories within the Smith Set, and I'm happy to calculate that once we have all the grades in, but figured I'd check if you had a different approach.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:48 pm 

razorborne wrote:
adding targets as a spell resolves introduces some rules problems that are probably pretty easy to resolve but I might just avoid them by using non-targeting effects. the bigger question, though, is is this worth it? like, I guess you can mess with your opponent's counterspells (I'm assuming all the shadowballs are the same effects) but a lot of the time they're not gonna have a response anyway so it's kinda just a weird kicker where the kicked effect isn't related to the main goals of the card itself. oh wait, I guess this is a sorcery that you can maybe cast at instant-speed with the Shadowshape? is that the intention? I'm not clear on whether or not that works, or whether it's intended. anyway, the card itself is a neat effect, although much more than .

That was the intention. That and this sort of being a weird sort of Morph, where it is just a generic spell on the stack until you flip it. The main goal was to make a spell that disguised itself as another spell. You could just cast it as a shadowball if you want, similarly to how you can just never flip a morph, or you can play it face down, see what happens, and then decide to flip it as it resolves, allowing you to cast sorcery spells at instant speed if you pay extra. There were some similar old spells that were sorceries that you could up-charge for like -ish to play as instants that I took inspiration from on that front.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:16 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

AzureShade wrote:
razorborne wrote:
adding targets as a spell resolves introduces some rules problems that are probably pretty easy to resolve but I might just avoid them by using non-targeting effects. the bigger question, though, is is this worth it? like, I guess you can mess with your opponent's counterspells (I'm assuming all the shadowballs are the same effects) but a lot of the time they're not gonna have a response anyway so it's kinda just a weird kicker where the kicked effect isn't related to the main goals of the card itself. oh wait, I guess this is a sorcery that you can maybe cast at instant-speed with the Shadowshape? is that the intention? I'm not clear on whether or not that works, or whether it's intended. anyway, the card itself is a neat effect, although much more than .

That was the intention. That and this sort of being a weird sort of Morph, where it is just a generic spell on the stack until you flip it. The main goal was to make a spell that disguised itself as another spell. You could just cast it as a shadowball if you want, similarly to how you can just never flip a morph, or you can play it face down, see what happens, and then decide to flip it as it resolves, allowing you to cast sorcery spells at instant speed if you pay extra. There were some similar old spells that were sorceries that you could up-charge for like -ish to play as instants that I took inspiration from on that front.

that's fair. the thing is, that doesn't really come across as the intention because the flashy bit is the face-down part. I would've mentioned the instant-speed thing in the reminder text if you wanted to make it clear that it actually worked like that. that's honestly the more interesting part anyway: hiding a spell is interesting in theory, but in practice what'll mostly happen is nothing. your opponent won't respond because they didn't have a response, so the morph thing doesn't change much.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:44 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Sorry for the delay, everyone.
Comments
Rankings

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:48 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
razorborne wrote:
out of curiosity, Q, how did you score the Wild Card? I always used most pairwise victories within the Smith Set, and I'm happy to calculate that once we have all the grades in, but figured I'd check if you had a different approach.

I think we can essentially add the numerical rankings of each contestant together. Whoever has the smallest number gets the 8th slot in the Top 8. If there's a tie, Parad breaks it.

Like this post