Total votes : 19
Total voters : 10
 Post subject: May 24 - 30, 2020
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:06 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
Last Week's Winner

https://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26221
Neru's on a rebound, loreding over last week's competition.
Spoiler

The Contenders

Unforseen Consequences
Instant
Counter target spell you don't control. Its controller may pay to cast their next spell rather than pay its mana cost.

Mown wrote:
Morbid Mimickry
Sorcery
Create a token that's a copy of target creature card in a graveyard.
"I'll make them exactly as you remember."

neru wrote:
Endless Forms
Enchantment (M)
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile a creature card from your hand. If you can't, sacrifice Endless Forms. If you do, do each of the following
  • Endless Forms gains deathtouch and/or lifelink until your next turn if the exiled card has it.
  • Your life total becomes equal to the toughness of the exiled card.
  • Endless Forms deals damage to target creature equal to the exiled card's power. If the exiled card has trample, excess damage is dealt to that creature's controller. If the exiled card has double strike, repeat this process once.
  • Until your next turn, you can't be attacked by creatures without flying if the exiled card has flying.
  • You gain hexproof and/or protection until your next turn if the exiled card has any of those abilities.

BelangiaJo wrote:
Pri, Voice of the People -
Legendary Creature - Human Citizen | R
Pri, Voice of the People enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each creature you control.
Creatures you control with base power and toughness 1/1 get +1/+1 for each +1/+1 counter on Pri.
0/0

Eurus wrote:
Æther Raid

Instant (M)
Gain control of all abilities. You may choose new targets for them.

Mystic Aid
Sorcery (C)
As an additional cost to cast Mystic Aid, discard a card or pay .
Draw two cards.

BelangiaJo wrote:
Eternal Traitor -
Creature - Zombie | U
When Eternal Traitor dies, return it to the battlefield tapped under an opponent’s control.
2/2

The Rules

How To Nominate:
Quote the post with the card you want to nominate. Delete everything in that post other than the card. Copy and paste your quote into a post on this thread.
If you did it right the quote tag should link to the original post.

What's Eligible?
Any fan-designed M:TG card posted since the most recent CotW thread went live is eligible. It doesn't even have to be the first time the card was posted. Yes, Un cards are valid. No, Yugioh cards are not.

What's Not Eligible?
  • Nominating your own cards. You can only nominate cards by other people
  • Nominating a card from your own repost, regardless of whether or not the original post was yours.
  • Nominations that result from collusion. If a nomination is made in exchange for some sort of favour, or under some sort of threat, then the nomination is void.
  • Cards that have already won CotW are not eligible for future CotWs.
  • Nominations that I consider to be jokes or trolling.

A Note On Contests:
Many contest holders feel that having an entrant nominated for CotW will skew the results of their contest. To prevent this while still allowing those cards their chance at nomination, any card submitted to a contest is eligible for nomination to CotW as though the date the contest (or pertinent round of the contest) ended was the date the card was posted.

Past Winners

----

----

----

----

----

----

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

Post subject: Re: May 24 - 30, 2020
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

6-way tie right now. Lonely old Aether Raid is the only card without a single vote. Sad since it's one of my favourites.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:50 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: T3KK-TP
I feel like Eternal Traitor could cause trouble in commander for the same reasons Trade Secrets is banned.

Yugioh: Legacy of the Duelist Treason!

Last edited by Tekkahedron on Mon May 25, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:08 am 
YMtC Champ '12

I feel like Eternal Traitor could cause trouble in commander for the same reasons Trade Secrets is banned.

It would be less problematic as a "next end step" trigger. It would be a shame to see a game end just because this was cast with Aether Flash on the battlefield.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:03 pm 

I don't really agree; both players would need extra pieces to play "let's make a deal", namely a free and limitless sac outlet which isn't something you find in a lot of decks. And frankly, there are things that are more crazy and don't need cooperation that you can do with the likes of Ashnod's Altar. A delay like Endless Whispers would have been better, but also less clean.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:52 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Unforseen Consequences
I've never seen a counterspell quite like this one and that in itself is an accomplishment. It is also a desperate measure you'd only pull out when all else has failed. Could probably use a "this turn" for simplicity and to let it avoid the drawback in certain situations.

Morbid Mimickry
Neat idea but it just strikes me as too easy to set up and awkward in a color that doesn't get much copying.

Endless Forms
Form of the dragon for the Polymorph set. Wordy but Grokkable. A cool deck building challenge with interesting payoff. I feel the color intensity of the cost is a little much. It will also probably burn itself out pretty quickly. I wish it worked more like polymporph and didn't cost you your hand. And perhaps that the damage-dealing was optional. Very cool but rough around the edges.

Pri, Voice of the People
Looks overpowered. In a token deck it can come down turn 3 and give you 12 power without any kind of tricks. Any 1/1, Raise the alarm, this as a 3/3 granting those 3 other creatures you have +3/+3 each. It's not hard to add extra counters after you play this either.

Æther Raid
Stifle meets... Aura thief? Redirect meets Summary Dismissal? It's weird to me that this hasn't ever quite been done before. It's the logical, final response to a specific strategy. One day they'll print it.

Mystic Aid
I am a total sucker for looting cards. Just let me cycle everything. This can be a card advantage spell in :u::r: or a filtering spell in mono :r:. And it plays right into the classic lots o' spells archetype. It just fits so elegantly in so many places.

Eternal Traitor
Nifty, but I;d like it better with some sort of safety valve. Might gum games up if it just keeps getting thrown under larger creatures going back and forth, or dueling sac outlets.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:51 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

ty wrote:
Open Sesame
Instant (U)
As an additional cost to cast Open Sesame, sacrifice a Gate.
Create three Treasure tokens. (They’re artifacts with “, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.”)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:14 am 

ty wrote:
Bane of Akros
Enchantment Creature — Dragon Saga (M)
Flying, haste
I - Exile the top three cards of your library. You may play them as long as you control Bane of Akros.
II - Creatures can’t block this turn.
III - Bane of Akros fights target creature.
5/5

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:58 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Forgotten Farlands
Legendary Land (R)
You can play this land as an additional land.
This land enters the battlefield tapped. The next time it would untap, it will remain tapped instead.
: Add to your mana pool.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:58 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

I'm breaking the tie in favor of Eternal traitor. It's a more original and in-color card than Morbid Mimicry.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:16 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
TPmanW wrote:
Morbid Mimickry
Neat idea but it just strikes me as too easy to set up and awkward in a color that doesn't get much copying.

It's just a slightly different Zombify though?

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:27 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Zombify is one-sided, so I think this should probably cost 5 if it's gonna let you nab your opponent's stuff, like Rise from the Grave. Yeah, it's a bit weaker because it's a token, but it's also hybrid mana, so I think that's fair.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:24 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Reanimator spells conventionally cost 1 more if they can hit either graveyard, but largely I don't think it really matters much whether it has that mode or not. I don't think a 4 mana rise from the grave would be considered that strong of a card in most normal limited environments, it's a difference that probably only really matters in EDH. I added it there largely because it made the card feel more blue.

I would probably only make it 5 on the basis that giving it to blue at 4 mana encroaches on one of black's niches, if I didn't also believe that black deserves zombify with minor upside.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:23 am 

Re: 4 vs 5 mana; a rambling diversion

I was under the impression that WOTC has generally as a policy moved reanimation spells from 4 to 5 mana.

The idea being that the reanimation spell may end up being the win condition in a combo deck. (Or a deck with a sufficiently close play pattern to that definition)

Whether to cost combo win conditions at 4 or 5 becomes a question about calibrating the speed of the format. (Specifically, Standard) i.e. What turn should games end? Which relates to the power level of the agro creatures, etc, the whole shebang.

So while in a pure analysis of power level, black could reanimate at 4 and perhaps even reanimate+ at 4, WOTC usually plays it safe with reanimate+ at 5.

Of course a parallel meta consideration is that reanimate+ at 4 is probably a more restrictive space for the pluses then reanimate+ at 5. By which I mean reanimate+ at 5 lets you incorporate set themes into the larger + space more easily. And if your perpetually rotating format asked you to generally commit to one or the other for your potential combo win con cmc, you might decide to lean toward 5.

I consider this a more generalizable concept: If you plan on reprinting staple designs repeatedly with various bonuses, there is utility in costing that card slightly bad, so that when a set with a low-granularity-power-level mechanic shows up, you can still append that mechanic to your spell and have a "good" version and not a "busted" one. (Sinister Sabotage is a prime example of what I am trying to communicate)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:06 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
You are correct at least that there are no zombify effects at sub-4cmc in pioneer, except Blood for Bones which is conditional.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:57 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

I also don't like that you can "reanimate" the same creature several times without using up the resource of the card in your graveyard or moving it into a zone where most decks can interact with it.
Not really sure why I stated my issue as "copying" being in the wrong color. I must've either confused my reasoning or messed up my words. If there's a color pie bend it's in giving blue access to dead creatures.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:07 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Eh ... Body Double exists already. As does Rise from the Grave. Higher CMC, more restrictive casting cost, and producing a token instead of copying or reanimating directly doesn't change a lot unless the set has a heavy token theme.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:54 am 

Body Double is from Planar Chaos. I don't think blue should be getting this effect at such a low cost.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:36 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Reanimation is supposedly tertiary in blue.
Don't ask me why.

Like this post