It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steam artifacts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:14 pm 

Extending an idea from one of the games.

Steamwork Driller
:3:
Steam Artifact {R}
0-1 - :t:: Put a pressure counter on Steamwork Driller
2 - :t:: Each player sacrifices a land. Put a pressure counter on Steamwork Driller
3 - :t:: Destroy target land. Put a pressure counter on Steamwork Driller.
4+ - :t:: Remove all pressure counters from Steamwork Driller

Steam Artifacts work similarly to Level Up or Sagas in terms of card layout. Pressure abilities exist only at the indicated number of Pressure counters[/quote]

Steamwork Cannon
:2:
Steam Artifact {C}
0-2: :t:: Put a pressure counter on Steamwork Cannon
3+: :t:, Remove X pressure counters from Steamwork Cannon: Steamwork Cannon deals X damage to any target.

Steamwork Soldier
:1:
Steam Artifact Creature - Construct {C}
0 - Steamwork Soldier can't attack or block. :t:: Put a pressure counter on Steamwork Soldier
1-3 - Whenever Steamwork Soldier attacks, put a pressure counter on it at end of combat.
4+ - At the beginning of your upkeep, flip a coin. If you win the flip remove all pressure counters from Steamwork Soldier. Otherwise, sacrifice it.
2/2

Relief Valve
Steam Artifact {C}
:t:: Remove a pressure counter from target Steam Artifact.

Heavy Press
Steam Artifact {U}
At the beginning of your end step, put a pressure counter on Heavy Press
3+ - :t:, Remove X pressure counters from Heavy Press: Destroy target creature with power X or less that's attacking you.

Pressure Gage
:1:
Steam Artifact {U}
0-1 - :t:: Choose a steam artifact you control. Put a pressure counter on that artifact or remove one from it.
2-3 - :t:: Put a pressure counter on each Steam Artifact you control.
4+ - At the beginning of your upkeep, remove all pressure counters from Steam Artifacts you control.

Steamwork Smith
:4:
Steam Artifact Creature - Assembly-Worker {U}
:t:: Put a pressure counter on Steamwork Smith. You may discard an artifact. If you do put another pressure counter on Steamwork Smith
4+ - :t:, Remove X pressure counters from Steamwork Smith, sacrifice an artifact: Put target artifact with converted mana cost X or less from your graveyard onto the battlefield.
2/4

Thermal Borehole
:3:
Steam Artifact - Fortification {R}
Fortify :2:
Whenever Fortified land is tapped for mana, add :c: for each pressure counter on Thermal Borehole, then put a pressure counter on Thermal Borehole.
2+: When Thermal Borehole produces mana, it deals that much damage to you. You may pay :1: any number of times to prevent 2 of this damage for each :1: spent.
5+: When you lose unspent mana produced by Thermal Borehole, you lose twice that much life.

Pressure Bomb
Steam Artifact {R}
0 - :t:: Put a pressure counter on Pressure Bomb
1-3 - :t:: Flip a coin. If you win the flip, put your choice of 1 or 2 pressure counters on Pressure Bomb. Otherwise, an opponent chooses.
4+ - At the beginning of each end step, flip a coin. If you win the flip, you may put a pressure counter on Pressure Bomb. Otherwise, sacrifice Pressure Bomb and it deals damage equal to the number of pressure counters on it to each creature and player

Steamwork Assembler
:5:
Steam Artifact {MR}
:t:: Put a pressure counter on Steamwork Assembler and create a 1/1 colorless construct artifact creature token.
2+ - :t: Put a +1/+1 counter on target artifact creature and a pressure counter on Steamwork Assembler
4+ - :t:, remove x pressure counters from Steamwork Assembler: Choose X. You may choose the same mode more than once.
  • Create a 1/1 colorless construct artifact creature token.
  • Put a +1/+1 counter on target artifact creature.
  • Put a First Strike, Trample, Vigilance, Flying, or Deathtouch counter on target Artifact Creature

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Steam artifacts
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:12 am 

I like the idea, it's quite flavorful. But I'm not sure it deserves a new supertype, I think a subtype would be enough (or not even that, if you are already giving them a new card layout).

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:08 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
I'm worried these would be too wordy to fit into IRL frames if they always include 'put a pressure counter on' as part of most of the abilities. I wonder if there's a way to cut words by putting the adding of counters into the rules for the card type itself (Planeswalkers, Sagas, and Level Up all do this).

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:35 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

arathinius wrote:
I'm worried these would be too wordy to fit into IRL frames if they always include 'put a pressure counter on' as part of most of the abilities. I wonder if there's a way to cut words by putting the adding of counters into the rules for the card type itself (Planeswalkers, Sagas, and Level Up all do this).

I think the pressure counter parts could easily become symbols.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:06 pm 

Yeah, I feel like Pressure could at least get an :e: like symbol so the clunky text could be reduced to "Add p" "Remove all p" "Add your choice of p or pp", or so on. But right now they're easier to parse spelling it all out.

Based on Sagas, Artifact - Steam would be more appropiate, but "Steam Artifact" looked and sounded a lot better. Honestly that's something I'd probably go back and change since "Steam" does only apply to artifacts and "Artifact Creature - Steam Construct" seems fine.

Here's an example of the word count reduction using :passion: for "one pressure counter"

Current:

Steamwork Smith
Steam Artifact Creature - Assembly-Worker {U}
:t:: Put a pressure counter on Steamwork Smith. You may discard an artifact. If you do put another pressure counter on Steamwork Smith
4+ - :t:, Remove X pressure counters from Steamwork Smith, sacrifice an artifact: Put target artifact with converted mana cost X or less from your graveyard onto the battlefield.
2/4

Symbols & Subtype

Steamwork Smith
Artifact Creature - Steam Assembly-Worker {U}
:t:: Add :passion:. You may discard an artifact. If you do, add :passion: again
4+ - :t:, Remove X :passion:, sacrifice an artifact: Put target artifact with converted mana cost X or less from your graveyard onto the battlefield.
2/4

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post