It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:03 pm 

A penis with a face. Interesting.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:45 pm 

A penis with a face. Interesting.
I was more getting "magic wand" vibes from that art, but sure.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:46 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
I just thought it was a "tap" joke.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:54 pm 

I'm reading The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson. It would make a nice piece of source material for WOTC if they decide to give us the viking/norse plane.

The artifact yall are talking about looks like an old Esper mage that has achieved nirvana and become one with the etherium.

Flagg: Nani?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:23 am 

That sounds

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:40 am 

Fantasy authors: "light/life = order"
Light/life: *is vibrant, constantly moving and chaotic*

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:21 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
I often get the feeling that fantasy as a genre has no idea what chaos and order you know, are.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:03 am 

That probably traces to Christian sentiments in the roots of Western fantasy. Order = Obedience to the Will of God, Adherence to God's law, and everything happening in divinely appointed ways for divinely appointed reasons = Good = Light/Life. Chaos = Defiance or upsetting of God's design = Bad = Dark. Of course that's been passed through so many filters by now that the tropes have taken on lives of their own across Western Fantasy, D&D and its spawn, Western Fantasy inspired media from other cultures, particularly Japan, which then filters back and influences further generations of Western fantasy... It's one big inbred family tree, with different generations taking in something from off the main line and then shoving it back into the main line for the next generation.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:06 am 

Moorcock's take on Order and Chaos are the best I've seen. Both have the same ending - a world rendered dull and sterile; in the case of Order, it comes about through rigid devotion to the law that prevents proliferation of new, innovative ideas, whereas with Chaos you have sensory overload leading into creative burnout and a world rendered bland, devoid of new ideas. Neither is inherently good or bad, but neither is desirable as an absolute.

Flagg: Nani?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:44 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
tbh I don't think "chaotic" or "lawful" really have any sort of coherent meaning to begin with. Pretty much everyone has some power structures and laws that they consider legitimate and worthy of obedience, and some that they don't. It's less about how obedient people are to rules, and more about which rules they personally choose to obey.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:36 pm 

Apropos of nothing, the Tolarian Professor and that Spice8Rack guy made a video titled "Can Magic: The Gathering's Story Be Saved?" that I thought I'd share:

Spoiler

It mostly stays on the surface of the issue and doesn't have a lot of substance per se, but at least it contains some pretty harsh words that both WotC and the Magic community at large need to hear. (Heck, I almost didn't watch the video because I care about virtually none of the things that Magic is doing anymore, so I guess the part where they talk about apathy being more dangerous than outrage definitely applies to me.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:23 pm 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
Order and Chaos are just about where you stand in understanding the structure of system you're in.

When you understand it, it's order and you know what's needed to manipulate it in that small area of understanding.
When you don't understand it, it's chaos and you open up a new layer of the system you can possibly master later.

Growth comes from jumping between the two. Stick with order and you inhibit yourself to a box. Stick with chaos and you give yourself no grounding to grow off of.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62