It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273 ... 285  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uncharted Realms
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:35 pm 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
I think Tiana, as an artificer, is our Hanna for the set. I actually don't mind her as long as it's CLEAR that she's an aberration of an angel. I mean, time will tell how well she keeps being portrayed but I sort of liked her being drawn on by thoughts and impulses she couldn't explain, like she was actually hearing the Voice of God -- Serra, in this case -- and could act on it without conscious awareness.

Going from the art, they're going for Kaylee Frye. Which is ironic, because in terms of putting a female in a traditional male role, I would bring her up. (Essentially, Kaylee doesn't take up traditionally masculine traits to explain her affinity for machines. Rather they play up the traditionally female trait of "nurturing" in order to show how she can be as good as she is. She doesn't need to be masculine to do masculine things.) Thinking about it, Tiana being the guardian angel of a machine is an interesting take as to why she can be the engineer; there's no need to make her more human and less angel-y.

When and where did we get art for Tiana? It's not showing in the story for me and I didn't see any broken jpegs.

A little birdie told me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:22 am 

I can see how you can stretch Tiana to fit Hannah... but realistically, she's the Selenia stand in.
Minus the possible betrayal, but there's a LOT of cues pinging on the tragic angel being the tragic angel.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:17 am 

for those not wanting to go to Twitter:

Spoiler

So we have the Weatherlight's crew as follows:
Jhoria - Captain
Shanna - Second in Command and Sissay stand-in.
Raff - Ship's Mage and combination Ertai/Gerard stand-in.
Tiana - Ship's Caretaker and combination Hannah/Selina stand-in.
Arvad - Ship's Security Officer and combination Tangarth/Crovax stand-in.
Ajanni - Ship's Cat and Mirri stand-in.

All we are really missing at this point is an Orim stand-in and for the team to go pick up Karn and Squee and we're basically good to go right?

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:59 am 

This is a good story, and Tiana is definitely my favorite new element. I'm curious what the tie between her and Arvad is going to be. Probably some twist on the Crovax/Selenia thing, but what twist and how? Also, Ajani's entrance at the end was amazing.

Jodah's going to actually show up in the story at some point, yes? He has to. Even just a quick cameo to deliver some exposition would be fine.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:39 am 

I'm really enjoying these: http://mochaqt.tumblr.com/

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:42 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
I think Jodah might be at the Tolarian Academy right now. So he will probably show up when they have to save that from the Cabal.

Personally, I am fine with not trying to draw parallels to all the old crew.
But I imagine that is intentionally happening because Jhoira is trying to rebuild the Legacy Weapon. And I imagine if that works that will be how they kill Belzenlok instead of Lilli using the Chain Veil, showing that she is able to grow from her past self and yadda yadda yadda.

I really like the switcheroo they did with Danitha, showing off stuff about her, then going "SIKE she's not gonna be big in the story."

Also really enjoying the story so far.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:22 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
I'm really enjoying these: http://mochaqt.tumblr.com/

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
Yeah, these are so great. My favorite, by far, is the last panel of the most recent one. "I CAN EXPLAIN!!!!" :rofl:

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:22 pm 

I was not expecting that that's gonna be Tiana's card art... I for one am glad though, since as much as it is the knight-ish warrior kind of angels that I fell in love to, I am yearning for deviations from the norm. (I'm just hoping that somewhere around WOTC shows what she looks like in Serran armor)

Arvad, I am pleasantly surprised... I was expecting a stereotypical vampire, maybe of the emo vein even... but he ended up looking like that (HEY DADDY :evil:). I'm just hoping that his and Tiana's fates doesn't mirror the OG Weatherlight crew they were inspired of.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:04 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/him/his
I liked the story, even if it felt a little squished to me. My one gripe is also with Tiana. She just feels weird and quirky. I'm used to angels having a sense of nobility, purpose, grace (literal and spiritual), and certainty. The angel that Gideon meets in the village felt angelic to me. Tiana didn't give me that vibe at all and it wasn't a cute sort of awkwardness to her. I get that most of my dislike is really personally biased because I love magic's angels specifically for their clarity of purpose. They always seem to have a clear goal, good or bad, and move towards that with a sort of determination that I admire.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:53 pm 

I'm sure there's an intentional explanation as to why she's the way she is. She's too different from literally every other Magic angel to not be.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:11 am 

Today's UR (Magic Story): RETURN TO DOMINARIA: EPISODE 4

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:30 am 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
Uh, what's going on with the description of Serra?

I don't know how I feel about an unprovoked predatory phoenix.

How does doing something designated as evil against only those who you view as evil make the action more morally gray?

Those are my only complaints. Tiana's "un-angel-ness" feels better here, since she's always been purposeless while created to be purposeful. They also activate her angel-mode a bit to show she isn't just a human with wings. Arvad's being hit by the "crammed space" issue. As a character, he seems like the one whose issues would most love the nuance that needs space, especially when it comes to convincing others of his intentions. Then we wouldn't get "moral questions" that really shouldn't be moral questions. I'm glad about the powerstone reaction, since it makes a better talking point for his inclusion.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:52 am 

I quite like Tiana's insecurities. Adding humanity to a being that's supposed to be order and law embodied can be tricky, but it is woven rather well here.

Though I can't help but feel she's a bit bloodthirsty.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:58 am 

I think the bloodthirst is just an outlet for the burning passion she has that she doesn't really know what to do with. When she get the chance to act on it, she kind of falters, like when she met Arvad. I think she's sort of impulsive mentally, but also too unsure of herself to act on that impulsivity without becoming distracted and off balance.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:16 pm 

Today's Magic Story Comic:

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:18 pm 

Ha, another story that was completely Gatewatch-free! I approve.

This story made me like Tiana and at least warm up to Arvad, although it felt pretty short. I agree with a lot of things others have said, I didn't like Tiana's un-angelness and unexplained awkward behaviour in the previous story, but filling in her backstory and showing her angelic side worked wonders for her character. I'm also incredibly happy with the portrayal of angels in this story in general. Yes, Serra Angels have been stated to be reborn when they die (e.g. in the backmatter of the Homelands comic, IIRC, and the flavour text on the new Serra Angel also mentions it) and it was cool how they tied the mortals' prayers into it, I distinctly remember one of the books or short stories stating that angels can indeed sense whether someone is telling the truth, the angels' history with the Weatherlight and the evacuation from Serra's Realm was mentioned etc... Really a lot of attention to detail here. Also, the conversation with Lyra was hilarious.

I kinda agree with Monobluegruul about that random phoenix attack, but at least it made me think of Legends II and how Kolo Meha tells Tetsuo that phoenixes are quite common in Bogardan, and everything that evokes associations with older material is welcome. Also, dat Flametongue Kavu! :V

I'm quite wary about Arvad's "sensitivity to sunlight". If it turns out to be sensitivity in the sense that he just doesn't like it and it feels unpleasant to him, fine. But if it significantly weakens him or actually harms him, I'll call BS. Apart from Baron Sengir himself in the Homelands comic, there are examples throughout the canon of Sengir vampires fighting in the sun, like... chapter 7 of Torment and p. 47 of Whispering Woods. 'Song for the Plague Rats' is somehwat ambiguous on the matter, but that text comes with its own cartload of problems anyway...I happen to have that information readily at hand because I've got a thread about the state of Ulgrotha and the revisionist continuity of the Homelands story in general in the pipeline, and I went through all the sources and made notes about a year ago. I just never seem to find the time to flesh it out and turn it into a proper thread... (one of the main topics of that hypothetical thread is the question whether the Dark Barony is really cast in eternal night like Doug's Planechase artcile suggests, and whether it would even make sense for it to be so. The short answer seems to be "no, it isn't" and "no, it wouldn't").

Of course there's a big elephant in the room here: "the blessed Serra, lost when she had sacrificed herself to heal Benalia". Like... WHAT? I guess it could really just be religious propaganda, especially since we still don't know how the Church of Serra became so prominent in a place that used to punsih Serra worship by death. It makes for a better story to preach from the pulpit than "...and then she kinda went suicidal and didn't defend herself against some ugly dude who wanted her wedding ring, oh, and by the way she might have never been to Benalia for all we know". Actually, it would be kinda cool to see a bit of hypocrisy in terms of revisionist history there, given they are fighting a bad guy who also swings that way. We'll see.

On the other hand, at this point I'm about 50% sure they're going to pull some weird retcon shenanigans concerning the events of the Phyrexian invasion. I find it strange that Jhoira thinks of Jodah and then immediately mentions the invasion and how long it has been and how everything else has healed since then, and then tells Raff she knew Jodah from before the invasion. Plus, we learned that Jhoira knew Sisay apparently (granted, that by itself isn't impossible) and somehow cares enough about the Invasion-era crew to recruit their descendants, and now this weird reference to a thing that Serra never did as far as we know. Maybe it's nothing, but I sense something very wrong going on behind the scenes there. If they return to Dominaria after eleven years, decide to make it a history focused set, research all that stuff down to the very bottom of the canon, include all those accurate details, have a villain who tells lies about history, and THEN go on to just blatantly retcon the story of Jhoira and Jodah's relationship and maybe some other stuff, I really won't know what to say anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:35 pm 

I'm MEGAS BIAS about anything Church of Serra related... so I enjoyed this story immensely. :D Goodness, what a week it has been... just yesterday we had a barrage of Church of Serra related cards~! (I legit felt like I'm having palpitations :sick:...)

I never thought we'd explore as much about Tiana and Arvad since the Neo Weatherlight crew has to contend with the story path of Liliana...

- Lyra being a Serra's Realm OG Angel? Interesting...

- Serra "healing" Benalia? :wha: I dunno if ita just a romantization of her death or this is the new canon... but I don't mind this being a sort of Lord Windgrace thing.

- Church of Serra angels being "born" in the Cathedral of Serra perked my curiosity... since it is where Serra "died", I wondered if her death made a Bant-like effect around the Church site. Kelly Digges said that the art book has some answers about this while a flavour text writer responded to me that Serra's "death" protected the church site during The Invasion...

- I am glad that more has been explored about Tiana and Arvad. Although Tiana's origins might be somewhat funny in a way... it works for me in its religious tinge. Arvad I find interesting, a Sengir sired Vampire being kept in check via the Serra's Realm powered Powerstone of Weatherlight. Ooooh... feels like Homelands a bit.

- I wonder who's getting the MTG Story focus next week...

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:19 pm 

Just curious, why is everyone upset at phoenixes being openly aggressive?

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:22 pm 

Tiana is definitely being deliberately positioned as the break-out character, and I don't care because she's great. I am very tired of Angels as exclusively magisterial purpose-driven Champions Of Goodness, so I was very ready for an awkward, klutzy, excitable Angelgineer just to get some variety in there. But Ms. Wells has done a great job of weaving together both of those aspects into a character with quite a lot of depth and tension. That whole sequence after her awakening/birth/rising/whatever was hilariously poignant. It will be interesting to find out who she was before, if the story goes there. (I get the sense that it will, though.)

Arvad is getting there for me, but I'll definitely need more. Also, I hope we get back to my new favorite teenage dirtbag Raff the Stupendous Liar soon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:26 pm 

Just curious, why is everyone upset at phoenixes being openly aggressive?
No idea. I thought it was just being a territorial fire-bird monster.....which was fine.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273 ... 285  Next