It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ixalan flavor thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:34 pm 

astarael7 wrote:
No, Bolas didn't intend to send Jace to Ixalan. It was completely unanticipated. Jace knew about Vraska's unusual planeswalk because Ral Zerek told him about it.

But... Jace doesn't know Vraska was working with Bolas.

I mean him assuming Bolas is behind every bad thing is pretty prejudiced against both Vraska and Bolas, on top of the fact that Jace being always right reflects the authors having bias against those characters too. Heck, they're treating Vraska like a wh- okay stopping there.
Jace wasn't looking for Bolas either. He thought of Vraksa because his subconscious was looking for safety and what feels safer in a moment of panic than a plane no one can detect? Bolas had nothing at all to do with that.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:57 am 

But, how would the subconscious be able to draw that conclusion in the first place? I know I wouldn't think of Schrödinger's cat when some dragon is breathing down my neck. And coming from what Jace's earliest experiences post-amnesia it seems like filtering info from minds like an SQL query doesn't come as naturally as just reading what's on the top of their neural stack. Like hell Bolas would have Vraska's mission in his short-term memory when trying to not-kill the Gatewatch.

So personally I find the subconscious argument unconvincing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:42 am 

The second par tis up. Kind of disappointing how they still kept the vampire theology rather vague, but it offers a rather tragic backstory for the pirates.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:51 pm 

But, how would the subconscious be able to draw that conclusion in the first place? I know I wouldn't think of Schrödinger's cat when some dragon is breathing down my neck. And coming from what Jace's earliest experiences post-amnesia it seems like filtering info from minds like an SQL query doesn't come as naturally as just reading what's on the top of their neural stack. Like hell Bolas would have Vraska's mission in his short-term memory when trying to not-kill the Gatewatch.

So personally I find the subconscious argument unconvincing.
It's what that page is asserting, though. Jace goes to Ixalan because he suddenly remembers Vraska in his final moments and planeswalks toward his vague sense of her unknown destination.

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:37 pm 

Ixalan is a post-Mirari Lorwyn/Shadowmoor. The Mirari warped Lormoor, and the residents of the post-apocalyptic plane began spinning myths about the Mirari being a sun.

You heard it here first.

Flagg: Nani?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:10 pm 

The Immortal Sun is spoiled in card form...

And Azorius conspiracies in my mind are increasing...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GRWbIoIR04c

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:13 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Bleh.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:36 pm 

The Immortal Sun is spoiled in card form...

And Azorius conspiracies in my mind are increasing...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GRWbIoIR04c

Why would they?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 pm 

dinosaur, eh? Guess we'll see some faction bleeding, like the hypothetical Kumena.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:24 pm 

It's like the Scars block, but just the story....and done much better!

Quote:
Alison Luhrs‏ @MTGAlison

It's true! We've already pre-written four different endings. You will (actually, really, no-we're-not-kidding) decide who controls Orazca at the end of #MTGRIX. #WOTCSTAFF

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:29 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
god damn I hope the vampires win so badly, just because of the inevitable backlash
I'd settle for merfolk
it will probably be pirates

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:37 pm 

Mown wrote:
god damn I hope the vampires win so badly, just because of the inevitable backlash
I'd settle for merfolk
it will probably be pirates

I'm all for vampires or pirates.

Pirates especially since that could well mean Angrath getting an ending where he can go see his family again

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:41 pm 

Bear in mind that the faction will have control of the city. It's doesn't say anything about having access to the Immortal Sun. Chances are still good that whoever has the city will just have earned a pyrrhic victory at best as either Bolas, Jace, Vraska, or some combination there of abscond with the McGuffin.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:48 pm 

Yeah, the likelihood of them ever doing a multiple-ending story where the outcome might change because of fan involvement that ACTUALLY affects anything significant going forward is pretty small. This seems more like a gimmick to drum up interest and involvement to me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:49 pm 

I'm immediately amused that nobody wants Huatli to win.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:04 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
I'm immediately amused that nobody wants Huatli to win.
Her faction is kind of lame. Honestly the dinosaurs are more exciting that their mezzo-american fantasy allegory riders. The empire of the sun doesn't really have much going for it other than some new king that wants the prize for....potentially nefarious purposes? Or he just wants it out of some outgrown teenage angst because his mom wouldn't go find it? all I know is that the vampires and the merfolk have much better reasons for trying to get to the lost city and the pirates are only technically a faction in this race because Vraska and Jace are the real faction that they are following.

In the end the Immortal Sun is the real prize and we all know it's most likely not going to stick around by the end of this story. In that sense it doesn't much matter who gets the city in the end.

If the merfolk get it, then.....what? The thing inside it that they care about is gone.
If the vampires get it, then....maybe they get some answers about their lost saint lady? Maybe they get a ruin to form a real foothold on this continent? Maybe they find some evil bad god to give them a boost? They won't get the cool immortality artifact.
If the empire of the sun gets it....not much changes. They get a coo looking city with some cool history to sing about and prance dinosaurs through. Again, no immortal sun. At best they get a new capitol?
If the pirates get it, then...they what? Strip if of valuables? Create some sort of inland pirate haven? Mount monkey-goblin cannons on the tops of the buildings and throw a party?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:25 pm 

I want the vampires to win because they are vampires.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:25 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Meh who cares though? There's no guarantee we even come back to Ixalan.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:35 pm 

This is very cool. It has the potential to boost investment, and it could be very meaningful to a lot of people, but it's also very easy for them to accommodate. I hope this goes well and they do more things like this.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:39 pm 

This seems more like a gimmick to drum up interest and involvement to me.

But really, is that a bad thing?

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next