It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:35 pm 

I like that Grunn is lonely by his own hand.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:17 pm 

Looks like they're putting these out all day:

Spoiler

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:09 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Where is my Yargle backstory tho ???

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:10 pm 

Identity: Dragon
Thank you for collecting these lore images AzureShade. Though WotC really should bundle them all onto their own page in the Dominaria lore section of the mothership.

I love that Tarox is Verix and Karox's son. Another sweet piece of Futuresight throwback (throwforward?).

If Hallar is bonded to a Kavu, is that supposed to be a picture of Serahane on their card (the eyes are glowing like fire just like the description says)?
Actually, you know what, I'm on board with that. The fur on the neck caught me off guard at first, but thinking back, kavu are actually a very visually diverse bunch. Not all of them have the epic chin and pronounced underbite that I'm used to associating with Kavu. Serahane's features in that area appear less prominent, though they do look to at least have sizable tusks.
Ah, Radiant Kavu even actually appears to have fur in the neck region too if you look closely.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:10 pm 

I'm sure they are saving Yargle for later. We've got a whole 'nother day to go before Pre-release and Yargle is a fan favorite that they will likely save until nearly last.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:17 pm 

Either that or Yargle was a sleeper (like Fblthp) and they're whipping something up for him right now (hopefully).

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:21 pm 

Well....

Quote:
herempathherringparty asked: Hi Mark! So recently the Yargle has become quite the meme (deservingly so). Is it ever the case that designers intend for some of these lovable cards to male a mark in Magic pop culture? Yargle seems like too-perfect a candidate to not become a meme.

markrosewater said:
Yargle was designed and named to be adorable.

...Creative and the rest of R&D knew what they were doing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:56 pm 

I sit corrected.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:14 am 

Did we not get Yargle's backstory in his flavor text? I don't feel like I'm missing any essential (BEAUTIFUL, WONDERFUL) details there.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:42 am 

We did, but there's always a chance there is even more to the story.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:56 am 

AzureShade wrote:
there is even more to the story.

Yargle was struck down by the knight Aryel, but the hunger of its cursed spirit possessed her and twisted her into Yaryel, a being with the knight's intellect and skill but the cursed spirit's drive to consume and destroy. When she finally died and was laid to rest, the corruption seeped into the grave-dirt of Urborg and emerged as Yarkal, an elemental spirit driven by the same insatiable desire. This being ravaged Urborg for years until the demonic Lord of the Pit, Skathiel, took notice of the monstrosity's burgeoning power. Skathiel thought to consume Yarkal, but Yarkal's hunger was too great and it consumed the Lord of the Pit from the inside, adding their powers together and becoming the frog-demon Yarthiel. A cleric of the Cabal, a group lost and debased since the fall of Belzenlok years earlier, witnessed this apotheosis, and knew that the Cabal had found their new god.

Please don't take any of this seriously, I just wanted to see how far I could extend Yargle with constant escalation of the same pattern.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:30 am 

Time to look at some maps!

Dominarian Cartography
Quote:
Ethan Fleischer recounts the sheer magnitude of work it took to bring the map of Dominaria to life.

Lore fans, this article goes DEEP. Check out Ethan’s interview with Dominarian globe creator Pete Venters (yes, THAT Pete Venters) and the process of creating the map of the plane.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:22 am 

Some fun art things:

Quote:
Spoiler

Quote:
artofryanyee:
Broken Bond Preliminary Sketches. The card description didn’t ask for Ravens, I added them to be dramatic and show the intensity of this scene. You will also notice the Broken Gatewatch Oath with sprouted plant life. Nissa is shedding a tear intense anger. I really like the idea of showing both sadness and aggravation in this character. This makes her a more complex and relatable character for me. I decided to flip the image at the end, it was important that her back was towards us, but we still see her face. Thanks for checking it out! . . . . . #mtg #magicthegathering #mtgdaily#mtgaddicts #mtgcommunity #funko#funkopop #gamer #tcg #tabletopgames#standard #modern #legacy #pauper#commander #edh #vintage #tinyleaders#wizardsofthecoast #wotc #hasbro#dominaria (at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:00 pm 

More Legendary Info:

Spoiler

Aaaaaaaand....IT'S YA BOI!

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:20 pm 

I really, really hope that even though Liliana got dragged away that Nissa doesn't pull an "I told you so" and agree to come back. I hope the knife ear stays gone.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm 

Torgaar's comment reminds me of the flavor text of Dauthi Trapper

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:43 pm 

Torgaar's comment reminds me of the flavor text of Dauthi Trapper
You noticed that too?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:35 pm 

More Legends:

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:07 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
yes.
hell yes.
hell f...ing yes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:23 am 

Identity: Male
Blackblade Reforged's blurb even mentions Korlash with some implication he's dead. Tarox got a mention as being alive.
Now we just need Baru, Fist of Krosa, Oriss, Samite Guardian and Linessa, Zephyr Mage to get all caught up with Future Sight.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next