It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:58 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
Time to look at some maps!

Dominarian Cartography
Quote:
Ethan Fleischer recounts the sheer magnitude of work it took to bring the map of Dominaria to life.

Lore fans, this article goes DEEP. Check out Ethan’s interview with Dominarian globe creator Pete Venters (yes, THAT Pete Venters) and the process of creating the map of the plane.
Wait, Ethan used NASA software to create that map??? His Vorthos street cred is over 9,000! :takei: I mean, even without NASA software, the level of depth and the work that went into this are mind-blowing. And it's awesome that we're getting more detailed maps of Terisiare in the article as well as better scans of the old maps *greedily saves all images in his RPG file*

TPmanW wrote:
Blackblade Reforged's blurb even mentions Korlash with some implication he's dead. Tarox got a mention as being alive.
Now we just need Baru, Fist of Krosa, Oriss, Samite Guardian and Linessa, Zephyr Mage to get all caught up with Future Sight.
I'm glad that Korlash is confirmed to be from the past, otherwise the continuity between his artwork and Blackblade Reforged wouldn't line up. I love the nod to Tarox and his potential rivalry with Darigaaz. If Baru is currently around, he's probably from Otaria which we didn't see anything of in this set. I think Oriss is supposed to be the descendant of Orim and Cho-Manno, which means she lives on Mercadia (pretty sure that's the Fountain of Cho in the background). Linessa... yeah, I have no freaking clue why they didn't at least reference her in a piece of flavour text, considering she's supposed to hang out at Tolaria. That seems like a pretty obvious miss.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:37 am 

The rest of the Legendary creatures:

Spoiler

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:23 pm 
Wizards Staff

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/Him/His
Ever wanted to get your hands on the Dominaria globe? Here's the next best thing! https://www.maptoglobe.com/r1jkfxnnf

#WOTCstaff

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:15 am 

Identity: Male
Sweet.
What are the colored parts?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:42 am 
Wizards Staff

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/Him/His
Those are those little sticky tabs that people put in books to mark sections. They're to make it easier to line up the different sections when reconstructing the map from the globe photos. They were removed once the photography was complete.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:18 pm 

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:10 pm 

The new podcast is up, and it's awesome! :excite:

http://media.wizards.com/2018/podcasts/ ... n64y4k.mp3

Most notable points (in my humble opinion):

Spoiler

Edit: Legend blurbs

- I'm irrationally irritated that Urgoros' blurb is vaguely talking about "the realm of nightmares" instead of calling it the Dementia Space. I'm not happy with this new watered down version of the Cabal, and that would have been a chance to at least add a semblance of consistency to the generic evil cultists they've become.

- At least Whisper gives us a reference to Estark. So I guess the Cabal might have taken over the Arena there? It seems like too obvious a connection to waste...

- I guess Reya Dawnbringer dying for Benalia is a first step in explaining how the Church of Serra is a thing there now..?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:26 pm 

- I'm irrationally irritated that Urgoros' blurb is vaguely talking about "the realm of nightmares" instead of calling it the Dementia Space. I'm not happy with this new watered down version of the Cabal, and that would have been a chance to at least add a semblance of consistency to the generic evil cultists they've become.

I'm also fairly certain that each Dementia Caster has their own Dementia Space and it isn't some giant interconnected "shadow realm". That was a huge part of Chainer's training that while the Space was composed of similar material, it was individualistic.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:39 pm 

I would pay so much for Saheeli and Karn to meet.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:33 pm 

Quote:
Yargle with Arcane Flight ~ fan art by .cho@堕チツキ

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:44 pm 

Identity: Male
That is terrifying.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:16 pm 

Aaaand another podcast episode! This time it's about the Mending.

http://media.wizards.com/2018/podcasts/ ... 8xaU1g.mp3

Another good episode, but some of that information should have been shared with us eleven years ago, and the fact that Bolas aged rapidly after the Mending while Jaya apparently didn't wasn't addressed. And I still think taking natural portals away destroys a lot of the mystery and appeal of the multiverse. It just feels a lot less magical and exciting. Also, the eroded mountains magically grew back? Really??? >:( :face: Sorry, but that's just dumb. And it takes away a unique visual element fom Dominaria. You could have done 'vibrant renewal' in red by having people carve dwellings and rock carvings into the spires and connect them with fancy bridges or something. Besides, showing normal mountains alongside needle mountains could have been handwaved by saying it's just a shift in focus and not all mountains were ground down in the Rift Era (which seems unlikely anyway).

A big thank you for clarifying that Argoth/Yavimaya conundrum, though. Good to see continuity issues rectified instead of created for a change.

One thing I didn't quite get is the part about summoning in the early novels. Does that simply mean that planeswalkers can no longer make their summoned creatures stick around on another plane? I mean, that's what's implied in AoA, so it would line up nicely with what we've seen.

Next week's episode will be about the Church of Serra. Now that should give us some long awaited answers! ;)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:25 am 

Next week's episode will be about the Church of Serra. Now that should give us some long awaited answers! ;)

That perked mah ears wildly... and a whole episode just for The Church!?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:20 am 

Also, the eroded mountains magically grew back? Really??? >:( :face: Sorry, but that's just dumb.
It was also rather unbelievable that mountains ground down to needle points, plains turned into salt flats, etc. in merely 2-3 centuries. If the canonical explanation for that level of ecological devastation was that Dominaria had lost a lot of its native mana, it seems perfectly fine to me that getting the mana back would fix those problems.

Also the name of the game is Magic.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:08 pm 

astarael7 wrote:
Also, the eroded mountains magically grew back? Really??? >:( :face: Sorry, but that's just dumb.
It was also rather unbelievable that mountains ground down to needle points, plains turned into salt flats, etc. in merely 2-3 centuries. If the canonical explanation for that level of ecological devastation was that Dominaria had lost a lot of its native mana, it seems perfectly fine to me that getting the mana back would fix those problems.
It was pretty unbelievable in the case of the mountains, but in fairness, it was not just the loss of mana, but more like a combination of factors. There were salt storms and acid rain among other natural factors caused by the timerifts (that's why people had to wear all kinds of protective garb in many areas). I find it way more unbelievable that stone just grows back because mana. Destroying something is generally easier and quicker than having it recover or be rebuilt. Besides, I'm disappointed by the lack of visual references to the Rift Era in general, especially when it comes to the landscape. They could have done really cool things with those needle mountains in Dominaria. And as I said above, I understand that they wanted to have normal looking mountains in this set, and I totally agree with that, but they really could have had both. If I had been the art director for Dominaria, I would have picked one piece of artwork from Time Spiral for each basic land type and commissioned new art that shows the same land as it looks today, exactly like they did with Calciform Pools and Meandering River. That way we could have had one cycle of basic lands as callbacks to the devastation of the Rift Era while driving home the 'vibrant renewal' and 'springtime on Dominaria' motifs of the set.

astarael7 wrote:
Also the name of the game is Magic.
The existence of magic in a setting doesn't mean anything can happen for no good reason. There's also a distinction between things that happen because somebody uses mana or magic to achieve a certain goal and things that happen of their own accord because of the mere presence of mana. And "the name of the game is Magic" is actually quite a can of worms to open. Because, yeah, I've been repeating that mantra too, albeit in a different way, because when you lookt at it, the stories and the way in which they portray magic these days have precious little to do with the basic idea behind the cardgame. And that's sad.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:04 pm 

Wasn't there a basic Mountain that still had the needle? I feel like there was one.
Ecological weirdness aside, considering that we've had very few presentations of a vibrant, flourishing Dominaria (Alpha, Mirage/Visions, Fallen Empires sort-of and Prophesy I think are it), it was enough for me just to see everything green and growing. No devastation, no disaster, no looming Armageddon. And the cycle of basic lands by Mark Poole showing nature reclaiming the ruins of his Fallen Empires lands was very cool and I'm glad someone pointed those out to me.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:31 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
astarael7 wrote:
Wasn't there a basic Mountain that still had the needle? I feel like there was one.
Ecological weirdness aside, considering that we've had very few presentations of a vibrant, flourishing Dominaria (Alpha, Mirage/Visions, Fallen Empires sort-of and Prophesy I think are it), it was enough for me just to see everything green and growing. No devastation, no disaster, no looming Armageddon. And the cycle of basic lands by Mark Poole showing nature reclaiming the ruins of his Fallen Empires lands was very cool and I'm glad someone pointed those out to me.

Oh, that's cool. Now I have to go back and look.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:07 am 

I've kept forgetting it, but now I'll finally post this link here, partly because some people might not have seen it when it was shared on the Magic website, and partly because that'll make it easier to find again:

https://pokeinthe.io/2018/03/29/lore-of ... attlemage/

Apparently someone extracted the lore tidbits from the code of the old Battlemage game, and boy are they juicy. We even learn about the conventions of traditional Argivian poetry! *nerdily adjusts glasses*

Then there's a cool (and pretty long) article by Mark Winters, the art director behind Dominaria:

https://www.mtgsalvation.com/articles/4 ... rk-winters

And in case you haven't heard, Kelly Digges is no longer working for WotC (neither is Mark Winters for that matter):

https://twitter.com/kellydigges/status/ ... 1473156096

Like, wow. I really didn't know what to say when I first heard about it, and I still don't know, especially since it doesn't sound like it was his decision to make. Like, sure, go ahead, fire your best writer and one of the masterminds behind everything that made Dominaria great, I'm sure that's not a completely moronic idea at all. Yeah, we don't know what really happened, but this feels a lot like Brady leaving. Add that to the fact that Mark Winters worked really closely with Kelly on Dominaria and has also left WotC... Things aren't looking good for the future. On the other hand, I guess we can call ourselves lucky that all the people involved in Dominaria were still in the right place at the right time to make it happen before two of them left. I think now that WotC is up to date with their Dominaria-related concepting and research (Winters's article also has a lot of info about that), the most daunting groundwork for future sets on Dominaria should be out of the way. Still, I wonder how many people besides Ethan who are still working at WotC have actually read a noteworthy number of the novels and have a more than superficial grasp of Dominaria as a plane.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:06 pm 

I just noticed something interesting in one (well, two) of the maps in Ethan's cartography article:
Spoiler

There is a spot labelled "Duler Sanctum" on the island of Lat-Nam! Looks like the Lat-Nam parts in the Greensleeves trilogy are (more or less) canon after all? I find that implication kinda weird because that's pretty hard to square with later appearances of Lat-Nam (I know Squirle tried to make it work, but I think that part was a bit forced). It's... interesting, though, and it would line up with the flavour text on Sage of Lat-Nam. I hope we'll learn one day what became of Greensleeves after the third book...

And I guess the Tolarian Academy at Lat-Nam is in the same location as the original School at Lat-Nam? That's pretty cool.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:02 pm 

Aaaah, so much cool stuff! Drop what you're doing and listen to the new podcast! It's so good I'm allowed to triple-post!

http://media.wizards.com/2018/podcasts/ ... 8axGQ5.mp3

Turns out they didn't retcon a single thing and instead decided to go the awesome route and tie everything together. They even mention the Greensleeves thing I brought up above.

Seriously, I love you guys! :cloud9:

So sad that Kelly doesn't work at Wizards anymore... :cry:

Also, Barinellos, I think you're famous now. Kinda. For one evening.

Stay tuned for next week when we learn more about Otaria and the Cabal!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next