It is currently Fri May 07, 2021 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:17 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Additionally, this is it's own continuity, which is a books choice, but seeing artifacts from the planning stages is also fascinating. Niv Mizzet is not an avatar in this, for example, but a Dracoid. (Robot dragon)
Not that I'd want anything to do with those comics either way, but I see that as a big problem. Creating a separate continuity that's very similar but deliberately different is 1.) just another admission of creative bancruptcy and lack of care, and 2.) going to confuse a lot of people (including the WotC folks on the story team). I guess this is what Nic Kelman meant when he was talking about "different versions" of characters or however he phrased it.

#FireNicKelman

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:41 pm 

I think that's a bit of an uncharitable read on the creative decision to separate the continuities. Allowing BOOM! Studios the freedom to move the story they want to tell at their pace without worrying about keeping continuity with the mainline story should lead to a better story overall. At the very least, they don't have to worry about things like dancing around major plot beats to avoid spoilers (such as Chandra's comic run dancing around the fact that Gideon was dead to avoid spoiling WotS) or the sketchy character continuity between individual stories (Kaya raring to go save her home plane at the end of Forsaken only to detour to Kaldheim for poorly realized reasons).

That said, I do find myself caring about this comic less after learning that it's "non-canon" or "canon-adjacent", since like you said, it can become confusing (especially considering if we ever get that Netflix show, that will probably be in it's own continuity too). And ultimately, whatever story they want to tell "doesn't matter" outside the comic continuity (although elements from the comic may make their way to mainline continuity).

Quote:
#FireNicKelman

You might be a bit late on that one.

Like this post