It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:20 am 

So, every now and again, MaRo likes to remind everyone that he was kicked off the story team for the Weatherlight Saga and what we ended up with was a different version of the story than he had planned. He's also pretty big on dangling it out there that he can't (or won't) talk about the original story until sometime in the amorphous "someday."

That all being said, he has been dropping hints about his original tale here and there throughout his tumblr posts and podcasts. The problem is, every time he does this, I get the feeling that I'm much happier that the story got changed from his original vision. While altered plot points like Mirri's death were kinda sad; by the end of Invasion, pretty much everyone was dead so it's not like I can be too broken up about it. Also in one of his more recent podcasts, he let slip that there was supposed to be some sort of time-travel component in his original story, wherein the Weatherlight crew leaves Rath via the portal and skips through time, later returning to find an ancient wizard Ertai in place of the young mage they left behind.

Anyway, has anyone else picked up pieces of this puzzle, and are you as disenchanted with it as I am?

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:03 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
I don't read his tumbler as much as I probably should. Or any sort of social media for that matter.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:14 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
No don't do it, social networking is evil.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:42 pm 

I generally like his articles, but an article is not the same as a multi-year spanning narrative, so I don't know how good MaRo is as that sort of writer.

I will say that when he talks about stories and his plans for Magic stories that didn't come to fruition for whatever reason, they tended to be tropey as ****. Not necessarily a good or bad thing, but definitely a thing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:11 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
MaRo has a fetish for tropes, pretty sure. Everything I've ever read from him has been about how he has these checklists for tropes in every set it seems like.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:39 pm 

Identity: Male
Is there anything that isn't tropey as ****?

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:30 am 

Is there anything that isn't tropey as ****?

Kind of by its definition, no, not really.
I mean, all a trope is is a codified facet of something, and all that really takes to be notable is for it to appear a few places.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:03 pm 

Would it be fair then to say that Maro has a love of cliches?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:57 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
So, every now and again, MaRo likes to remind everyone that he was kicked off the story team for the Weatherlight Saga and what we ended up with was a different version of the story than he had planned. He's also pretty big on dangling it out there that he can't (or won't) talk about the original story until sometime in the amorphous "someday."

That all being said, he has been dropping hints about his original tale here and there throughout his tumblr posts and podcasts. The problem is, every time he does this, I get the feeling that I'm much happier that the story got changed from his original vision. While altered plot points like Mirri's death were kinda sad; by the end of Invasion, pretty much everyone was dead so it's not like I can be too broken up about it. Also in one of his more recent podcasts, he let slip that there was supposed to be some sort of time-travel component in his original story, wherein the Weatherlight crew leaves Rath via the portal and skips through time, later returning to find an ancient wizard Ertai in place of the young mage they left behind.

Anyway, has anyone else picked up pieces of this puzzle, and are you as disenchanted with it as I am?

MaRo is a fantastic card designer and damn good at story skeletons. He should stay away from the details though. I'm very glad *his* version of the weatherlight saga was changed. Because from what I've heard, it sounds pretty meh (and far too based on traditional cliches)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:14 am 

Snippet from yesterday:

Quote:
anaivecynic said:
Spinoff of the Mirri question, wasn't Crovax always going to go bad? I mean, you've mentioned he was always destined to be a vampire, but not when he first boarded the Weatherlight.

MaRo said:
In our version of the story (aka the original), Crovax never turns evil. He becomes a vampire but stays with the crew.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:41 am 

Keep in mind Maro was a writer before he was a designer. So it's not like he's some bum off the street, he did television writing after all.

I'm kinda mixed on the whole thing. Earliest mtg lore is still my favorite, Ice Age and Fallen Empires. I liked the weatherlight saga roughly up to the point of Masques where I feel like it just kinda spun out of control. Somewhere around Innistrad things got brought back under control and I've been enjoying the lore again.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:51 am 

Oh I'm not doubting his writing credentials as much as I'm doubting his claim that it was such a tragedy that we never got to see his original vision for the Weatherlight Saga. It's one of those things he like to build up by mentioning it over and over again and then saying that he can't tell us about it other than we should feel sad for not knowing it. All the while, the hints about it that he does drop cause me o sort of blanch and thank the powers that be for taking it away from him when they did.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:55 am 

That's just his personality. He's like a chipmunk on caffeine.

I actually find it kind've endearing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:03 pm 

He's a strange person anyway.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:49 pm 

...said LilyStorm.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:38 pm 

That's how you know he's strange.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:13 am 

I think I'm going to use this thread as a dumping ground for tidbits of MaRo's Weatherlight Saga until we've pieced together a full picture.

Quote:
thejohnnytimmyspike said:
In the original Weatherlight story, did Mirrodin ever even get made?

MaRo said:
The original Weatherlight Story was a three-block story.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:22 am 

AzureShade wrote:
I think I'm going to use this thread as a dumping ground for tidbits of MaRo's Weatherlight Saga until we've pieced together a full picture.

Quote:
thejohnnytimmyspike said:
In the original Weatherlight story, did Mirrodin ever even get made?

MaRo said:
The original Weatherlight Story was a three-block story.

That doesn't answer his question!

Admittedly, it's not that great of a question, but still!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:25 am 

To be fair, the only part of the original Weatherlight Saga that would had any impact on Mirrodin's creation would be if similar factors came together for Karn to become a 'Walker. No Karn 'Walker means probably no Mirrodin in the sense that Karn created Argentum and then Memnarch out of the Mirari, who then corrupted the place, turning it into Mrirrodin.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:35 am 

Exactly. The original saga was a more traditional heros journey with a built in end date. I don't think he ever intended it to be this neverending story it's turned into.

Back then the idea of a three block story was mind blowing since Magic blocks were more Final Fantasy and less Star Wars Expanded Universe.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next