It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:45 am 

What do you mean?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:20 am 

Identity: genderqueer
Preferred Pronoun Set: zie/zin/zir/zirs/zinself
This like tight regulation of what we get to hear when, if ever. It gets annoying after a while.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:35 am 

I'm not sure it's they're being told not to, and they just aren't.

And for whatever it's worth, there is still a tremendous amount of openness and transparency between what Wotc is doing and what we see. It isn't absolute by any means, but I can't think of any other game makers out there that I know as much about the process of.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:17 am 

Eeeh. I mean, it's not so much transparent as sometimes they put on a show. It's all very scripted and if they want something hushed up they hush it up right quick. The Reserved List? Now has a blanket of fearful silence hanging over it. This decades old storyline? Mums the word. Brady Dommermuth leaving? I doubt we're ever going to find out what went on there. Whatever happened with Randy Buehler? I'm not even sure something DID happen!

We just assume that it happens but no one else is in the room where it happens.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:27 am 

Identity: Wannabe Cyborg
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/His/Him
We just assume that it happens but no one else is in the room where it happens.

A+

Companies tend to keep a lot of that stuff internal. I know you don't agree with, like, companies in general, but Wizards is about as open as any company of its size is. It's annoying for fans like us, because we care just as much about the game and the storyline as the people who are creating it. We probably "deserve" to know, in some way, but there's no real way to get the info and Wizards really has very little incentive to share that stuff.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:12 am 

I mean sure I know all that, I just, as you say, don't agree with it.

Not just because I hate capitalism and recognize that spoilers aren't real, but because I don't think that power dynamic between fans and creators is a worthwhile one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:53 am 

Quote:
asknationsmith asked:
Mark can you give us trivia on the storyline for one of my favorite Weatherlight characters, Crovax? Was he always meant to become a vampire and compleated Phyrexian in your version of the Weatherlight Saga?

markrosewater said:
He was always destined to become a vampire but not Phyrexian.

So....vampire yes, Evincar....no?

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:01 pm 

I believe that one of the main reasons that the Crovax character was made in the first place was to be the black good guy so that every color would be represented on the crew.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:52 pm 

Crovax was a cool character, who basically became an unrecognizable and stereotypically evil in Nemesis. Now I know he was supposed to stay on as part of the Weatherlight Crew I really want to know how that would have played out.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:23 am 

I'm pretty sure we already know this but:

Quote:
miztickow asked:
It's my birthday! May I please have some trivia about my favorite set "Exodus" and/or the card "Vernal Equinox" since I was born on the Vernal Equinox?

markrosewater said:
In the original story for Exodus, Crovax doesn’t turn evil and Mirri didn’t die.

Happy Birthday!

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:32 am 

Not really story information proper, but this was a fun translation thing:

Quote:
sylvhem asked:
The first times the name Weatherlight appeared in flavor text in Mirage, it was translated as "Brise légère" (Light breeze). When the ship became the main focus of the story in the Weatherlight expansion, the translators found this name was too joyful for the dark mood of the plotline and chose to rename it "Aquilon" (Boreal wind). They justified the change by adding a special flavor text to the french version of Jabari's Banner in which Gerrard explain he made the change when he became captain.

markrosewater said:
Good job. Even though I was very involved in the Weatherlight Saga, I have never heard that story.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:53 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
Not really story information proper, but this was a fun translation thing:

Quote:
sylvhem asked:
The first times the name Weatherlight appeared in flavor text in Mirage, it was translated as "Brise légère" (Light breeze). When the ship became the main focus of the story in the Weatherlight expansion, the translators found this name was too joyful for the dark mood of the plotline and chose to rename it "Aquilon" (Boreal wind). They justified the change by adding a special flavor text to the french version of Jabari's Banner in which Gerrard explain he made the change when he became captain.

markrosewater said:
Good job. Even though I was very involved in the Weatherlight Saga, I have never heard that story.

In nautical superstition, changing the name of a ship is considered very bad luck. You'd have thought Gerrard would have known that.

Hmm.

:huh:

Actually, that sort of explains a lot...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:46 am 

Quote:
arixordragc asked:
Birthday trivia! Could I get something on my favourite member of the Weatherlight crew, Tahngarth?

markrosewater said:
In the original storyline, shapeshifter Volrath comes aboard the Weatherlight not disguised as Takara (Starke’s daughter) but as Tahngarth. We were asked to change it because the higher ups thought it was a mistake to lose Tahngarth.

Happy Birthday!

I'm pretty sure we knew this, but saving it nonetheless.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:49 am 

I didn't.

Neat!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:09 am 

So I was reading old The Duelist magazines, since that is what I do, and I stumbled upon this bit in an article by Pete Venters:

"...the Weatherlight would be a sub-plot tucked away in each cycle, available for discovery by the story aficionados but frankly invisible to anyone else. It was hoped this would help us build up interest in the crew without them hogging the set's spotlight. Eventually they'd get a cycle dedicated to them, bringing the sub-plot to the fore in one major event."

But then a new manager came in and the Weatherlight was immediately pushed to the forefront.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:00 am 

no so much a bit about the Weatherlight Saga, but a fun tidbit about plans for Nemesis:

Quote:
szwanger asked:
Have you considered telling a murder mystery story with a Magic block?

markrosewater said:
The original plans for Nemesis long ago were for it to be a murder mystery figuring out who killed Starke. (It was Volrath, shapechanged as Tahngarth.)

Quote:
ilgreven asked:
"(It was Volrath, shapechanged as Tahngarth.)" I thought it was as Takara, Starke's daughter?

markrosewater said:
That was the published story not the original story.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:28 am 

Quote:
thejingleking asked:
It was my birthday yesterday, can I get some trivia about the original version of the Weatherlight Saga that you haven't shared yet?

markrosewater said:
Before Gerard leaves to rejoin the Weatherlight crew at the start of the story, he leaves an hourglass pendent with a good friend. That pendant had a giant role in the third act in the original story.
Happy Belated Birthday!
I really wish he would share stuff that's actually new information.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:30 am 

Not really new info, but logging it here anyway.

Quote:
mr-dvorak asked:
Maro maro marooooo its my birthday! Who is your favourite big-bad guy in magic lore? Can I have some trivia about him/her/it/them?

markrosewater said:
Volrath, the main villain from Tempest block, got his name because he is “Vuel (Gerrard’s adoptive brother) of Rath” or “Volrath”.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:47 pm 

Filed under: "Things we already knew, but eh...."

Quote:
kicharan-blog asked:
It was my brother's birthday and he doesn't have a tumblr so I have been authorized to ask his question! Is there some piece of lore you could share about the weatherlight crew that wasn't in the books or anything?

markrosewater said:
A lot of people don’t realize that the Weatherlight Saga wasn’t the first appearance of the Weatherlight or its crew. The ship, captained by Sisay, plays a small role in the Mirage story.

Happy Birthday to your brother!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:33 am 

This is new..ish information:

Quote:
dace67 asked:
Birthday question time again: Any trivia on Kamigawa or the Tempest block?

markrosewater said:
The cards Furnace of Rath and Death Pits of Rath predate the plane officially being named Rath. We liked the sound of the name on those two cards so much, we named the plane after them.

Happy Birthday!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next