It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:20 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
Media consolidation is a serious thing to worry about, however. If just 3-4 companies end up owning 80% of all media in the West (totally made-up hypothetical numbers) that's a real problem.

Considering it has already happened with almost all the other industries in America, it is kind of inevitable.

That said, Disney has been taking a hands off approach to Marvel mostly, as they just want the profit margins Marvel brings.

It is similar to WotC and Hasbro's relationship.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:47 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: she
Being inevitable doesn't mean it shouldn't worry us.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:49 am 

Squirle wrote:
It's very relevant, but not really new. With the many different story outlets we've had in the past we've gotten pretty used to weighing our sources. Revisionist sources trump pre-revisionist ones (and in general, newer sources trump older ones), books and comics trump Duelist articles and calendars, published sources trump what authors said on fora (or not, depending on the case), etc. The main problem is that with the oldest information it has become unclear where a lot of information originally came from. If we imagine "canon" as a ladder, the calendars are probably one of the last rungs before we get to "statements MaRo made on his tumbrl" and "pure fanon", but we can't simply strike them from canon as some stuff from them have been picked up on. Dougs comments and Nicol Bolas' bio on the mothership show that the Elder Dragon War is still considered canon, for example. Or look at Segovia being small. That originated in a calendar as well, but was clearly referenced in Planechase.

@Raven: It is a poor way of running a franchise, if you put a lot of stock on storyline. Unfortunately WotC has gone through a couple of times when storyline had a very low priority. Luckily its importance is currently on the upswing, and Doug's comment shows that they've learner from the DotP 2012 mistake. I don't think they should've kept all the DotP games out of canon because of a mistake made with the 2012 edition though. A lot of new players are coming into the game via those, so having them have an alternate canon would've only created more problems. And having them not have a story at all is not an option either. Story makes a game far more interesting, plus WotC wants to introduce their flagship characters to new players.

I am glad the sources weighted differently.

Wizards has shown they can make a great game but have difficulties in any other area. Can just look at anything with technology they do.

With that said they are trying to learn and get better.

I find it interesting that people always look to the past as amazing and great and anything new as destroying the past. Especially when the past was so disorganized and now they are making more attempts to be organized. While not fully organized it is certainly light years ahead of where it was. It seems some like the treasure hunt feel that the disorganization gave. Personally I hate that treasure hunt feel, as they still have it in many areas. Perhaps with story lines it could be different. The part I hate about the treasure hunt is that its time sensitive material. While with stories they may have an order but they are not as time sensitive.

So it seems the treasure hunt gives people great pride and great pain. They enjoy the hunt and jump for joy when they find this gold nugget buried away in a mountain. Then they get mad when they go to get it appraised and find out its pyrite.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:10 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

The dangers of tabbed browsing when applied to forums--I just discovered this post I thought I made has in fact been sitting ready for posting in an open tab for almost two weeks. :doh:

Well I'm not wasting it after all that. Onwards!

I mean they've also explicitly made statements recently about the Elder Dragons and who they were and how many were left so like it's not even like this is unknown information or information that's free for contradiction...

Not that this is a retcon, but it makes explaining all this stuff so much harder.

I mean we've had several days of people being all "Well I don't understand what the big deal is since it shouldn't be too hard to explain that [recites totally inaccurate information for several pages] anyway I don't think it's confusing." I was cool with the change earlier in the week and now I hate it because it's now a huge headache that just compounds our existing problems with knowledge leaks. :/
That might be part of where the disconnect is between our respective reactions. People who aren't gurus getting things wrong isn't something I would generally see as a problem, or at least not one worth worrying about, and the more obscure a piece of knowledge is the less I'd be concerned. Not because it's not annoying to re-explain things--it definitely is and I can totally understand the frustration it causes--but because it's inevitable.

People are going to get things wrong no matter what efforts you make to educate them, and no matter how many people you educate there will always be more people who don't understand to replace them. Heck, sometimes your education makes things even worse because the people you've educated try to use their new knowledge or pass it on to others and screw it up. It's just how specialized knowledge works when it hits human nature--there's no way around it.

Maybe it's my Rules Q&A background showing; knowledgeable rules people, including myself, have been explaining to people for pretty much the entire life of the game that no, Dark Ritual doesn't make you search your library for three Swamps and put them onto the table, and yet still they come. It's just...not something you can ever fix, so if you let yourself get upset about it you're never going to be able to stop.

And so people say to me, "How do I know if a word is real?" You know, anyone who's read a children's book knows that love makes things real. If you love a word, use it! That makes it real. Being in the dictionary is an artificial distinction; it doesn't make the word any more real than any other word. If you love a word, it becomes real.
--Erin McKean, Redefining the Dictionary

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:30 pm 

Identity: Male
That's a good point Grifter, but it'snot some newbie player we're concerned about here. This was a mistake by WOTC, the highest source in the land, the one entity we should be able to hold to a higher standard than all others, because getting these things right is literally their job. If they can't get their facts straight, then what hope is there for keeping anyone on track?
It's like when Walking Atlas was printed without artifact typing. It was a significant messup that must have caused a lot of rules confusion. Afterwards WOTC admitted their mistake and we all forgave them because this sort of thing is very rare. In this case though, WOTC are adamant they never made a mistake or a misjudgement and this sort of thing happens way too frequently to brush aside.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:48 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: He
This clearly wasn't a mistake, they knew what they were doing and choose one set of priorities over another.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:13 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
I'm digging this up because someone on GatheringMagic actually referenced Squirle's work in their article about a week ago, and I figured I'd share.

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/jayannell ... dominaria/

And if it is Squirle, congrats on getting a gig writing for GatheringMagic!

Like this post