It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 387, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393 ... 401  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:34 am 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
Aaarrrgh wrote:
And there are also elements that the stickman battle lacks, like investment. I can respect the choreography, but if you don't establish stakes in a fight, no matter the medium, it's going to be weaker than if you did. Your audience should CARE about what's happening.

This is a good point. While I really appreciated the stick battle, but I never knew what to feel about any of the twists because I didn't care who won. When the advantage shifted I didn't feel either excited or anxious because it made no difference to me. If it had just taken five seconds in the beginning to define one of the characters as the protagonist it would have been much more impacting.

Indeed. Even if they skipped that though they could have done a better job showing who was winning and what the combatants individual styles were just through choreography.
But it was stitched together out of multiple fight scenes, wasn't it? That kind of kills the overall arc of the scene.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:26 pm 

Identity: Human
Every now and then I go on long rants like that and start wondering why you guys like me around...

TPmanW wrote:
Aaarrrgh wrote:
And there are also elements that the stickman battle lacks, like investment. I can respect the choreography, but if you don't establish stakes in a fight, no matter the medium, it's going to be weaker than if you did. Your audience should CARE about what's happening.

This is a good point. While I really appreciated the stick battle, but I never knew what to feel about any of the twists because I didn't care who won. When the advantage shifted I didn't feel either excited or anxious because it made no difference to me. If it had just taken five seconds in the beginning to define one of the characters as the protagonist it would have been much more impacting.

Indeed. Even if they skipped that though they could have done a better job showing who was winning and what the combatants individual styles were just through choreography.
But it was stitched together out of multiple fight scenes, wasn't it? That kind of kills the overall arc of the scene.

To be entirely fair, RHG isn't really designed to be watched one-at-a-time in a vacuum. You're kind of expected to follow along with your favorite character, and get a feel for who they are and what they do. Probably apt to compare it with professional wrestling; you are totally aware what you're watching in the moment is silly and over-the-top, but you're in it because you've learned to love these characters. Like, back in the day for me, it was FLLFFL (Alfa) and Yoyo -- Alfa was a too-old-for-this fighter with a rocket sword who won because he was an ancient master trope, and Yoyo fought with nothing but a yoyo and mostly won his battles (and survived them) by dumb luck. Also, if memory serves, originally RHG pitted two animators against each other in the exact way that V.I.T.A.L. did: they each animated their version of the fight, and the better animator/animation "won."

As to that specific stick fight in question, yeah, it was rather unoriginal since it was in essence just copy/pasting several good anime fight scenes, but without any of the backstory that made those scenes memorable. My guess is that the animator is fairly young. I don't think they understood what made the fight scenes that they used good, they just thought it looked cool and wanted to replicate them.

--------

Off-topic: I've been feeling rather well, mentally, lately. Due to a combination of things like consuming some cyberpunk media and listening to a podcast which discussed UBI, I am not freaking out about the future for the first time in a long time.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:00 pm 

My body schedule has been absolutely wrecked by work over the past two weeks or so.
So, I've been pretty much exhausted.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:16 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
My body schedule has been absolutely wrecked by work over the past two weeks or so.

Sorry to hear that. Anything new you've been digging into for stress relief? Or revisiting anything?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:38 am 

Barinellos wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Anything new you've been digging into for stress relief? Or revisiting anything?

Been rewatching a couple series, but my pick up and drop on them has been really weird
been playing monster hunter world again too, as expansion hype is a thing
but lastlly really thrown in to Detroit: Become Human as well

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:35 pm 

Hey, does anyone have any contact with Brentain outside of this site? It's been over six months since they've been on here, and I'm a bit worried.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:45 am 

Hey, does anyone have any contact with Brentain outside of this site? It's been over six months since they've been on here, and I'm a bit worried.

Unfortunately not. I'm not quite worried, but it nevertheless is an anxious feeling

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:04 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

Unfortunately not. I'm not quite worried, but it nevertheless is an anxious feeling

Well, I hope everything's alright, and if we're lucky, hopefully Brentain will be back soon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:05 pm 

I have a couple of M:EMber's emails saved, but not theirs unfortunately. I should work to re-establish my lighthouse-ness. Maybe during my upcoming vacation time...

--------

I would like to take a moment to say how much I love and appreciate all of you. I had a moment today to take a look in the metaphorical mirror, and I wanted to really show my appreciation to those in my life.

On that note, may I make an odd request? Along the same lines as that old "describe X movie character without using their name or appearance," can I ask how you all would describe me? If that makes anyone uncomfortable for any reason (I know I would be afraid of accidentally insulting someone if I was asked), that's okay; I was just curious if I could get an outsider's perspective on what I'm like, at least in how I've acted around here. Again, I love you all regardless and I thank you for being so welcoming even when I forget that fact.

:pint: <- I think this is the closest we have to a hug smiley and that makes me sad. One sec...

(Ɔ˘⌣˘)(˘⌣˘)˘⌣˘ C)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:37 pm 

description of Luna

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:30 pm 

Hey, all. Just to let everyone know, a mildly unexpected trip came up, so my time for and access to the Internet will be limited for the next several days, so I will probably not be around. I doubt anyone would have really missed me in that time, but just so people know that I'm not actively ignoring anyone.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:49 pm 

We always miss you Raven.
Whenever you're not around, we all ask "where's Raven?"

Nah, but seriously, we hope you have a safe trip.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:56 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Hope it's fun! Or at least good in the grand scheme of things.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:31 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

Nah, but seriously, we hope you have a safe trip.

Wait, I thought we all set up easy puns and silly references while he was gone? Has the game plan changed lately? Next thing you'll tell me Huinn's on first.

Aaarrrgh wrote:
description of Luna

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:30 pm 

Along the same lines as that old "describe X movie character without using their name or appearance," can I ask how you all would describe me?

Saint

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:14 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

"I have to go now. My planet needs me."

Anyway, I'm back, and nothing of note occurred in my life in the interim.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:59 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
Along the same lines as that old "describe X movie character without using their name or appearance," can I ask how you all would describe me?

Saint

I'll take that as a compliment, but... I don't feel like I've deserved praise like that, especially with how I've treated you. While I can't think of anything I should apologize for off the top of my head (and do let me know if I've offered offence in the past), I know there's been times when we've debated things from different sides, and I feel like I probably wasn't as respectful to you as I should have been.

--------

I'd like to take a moment to tell you all about a board game I just recently found. It's called Guardians (generic name, I know). It apparently came out last year to very little fanfare, what little talk about it mostly centered around it looking "like an Overwatch ripoff," which I think is both fairly accurate and needlessly dismissive. Guardians feels and plays out like a boiled down, board game version of Overwatch, and I want to explain why I think that's a good thing and why I love the game.

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:02 pm 

The second problem I have is that, this should have been a small box game. I can literally fit the game in a box of Exploding Kittens (approx. 6in x 5in x 2in), but it comes in a big 10in x 10in box with tons of air space.

This is freeking constant with game releases, especially US releases. I have two games I feel exemplify different priorities in this: Ars Alchimia and Dragon Pets.

Ars Alchimia is a pretty cool Worker Placement game by the designer Kuro, whose stuff I've really found I love. It's a Japanese game originally, and it seems like it's kept the Japanese production and packaging priorities: be as compact as possible because folks over there don't have a ton of space. The box is basically 8.75"x5.75"x2.25", which is pretty tiny for a 'full game', and in that it contains a huge load of mini cards, player boards, a herd of meeples (I think 20 per player), a die, and some assorted markers and tokens. Honestly, with all the components in Ars Alchimia and the components it COULD have had, it could have filled a box the size of Stone Age very easily, since they basically have the same amount of stuff (save that Ars Alchimia uses tracks rather than little wood pieces for resources, which could easily shift over). I really wish more games were packaged like Ars Alchimia, because then I might have the shelves necessary for my collection. Not every game with a big box could shrink; I could name a few that have big boxes and might need bigger, but more could.

Dragon Pets comes in an 8.5"x8.5"x2" box -- it's the small end of average, but it's still a 'normal' game box. The kicker is, the only components in Dragon Pets are a small number of square cards, a dozen meeples (3 per player), and a couple tokens and dice. Dragon Pets probably deserves as much storage space as Love Letter. In fact, I bet I could fit it in a Love Letter drawstring bag, less the rulebook that's sized to the box. The box it lives in is mostly air to an insane degree -- I've seen the FFG-style "death star trench" box insert before, and its usually galling since it typically means the box is 2/3 or more air, but Dragon Pets is the first time I've thought "Maybe this doesn't even need a box". The price reflects this; it was only 10 bucks and given the components that's what you'd expect. It really is a light game, and it's a fun game, and at least it wasn't gouged. Since it's published by Japanime Games it was probably a Japanese import like Ars Alchimia, but it's clear it was localized for the American market that strongly values shelf presence (The ability to be seen and recognized in a store, which demands a bigger box if able) rather than the limited storage space of the consumer.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:08 am 

Barinellos wrote:

Note: Raven died on his way back.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:38 am 

The second problem I have is that, this should have been a small box game. I can literally fit the game in a box of Exploding Kittens (approx. 6in x 5in x 2in), but it comes in a big 10in x 10in box with tons of air space.

This is freeking constant with game releases, especially US releases.

[...]

Since it's published by Japanime Games it was probably a Japanese import like Ars Alchimia, but it's clear it was localized for the American market that strongly values shelf presence (The ability to be seen and recognized in a store, which demands a bigger box if able) rather than the limited storage space of the consumer.

Yeah, to be honest, utilization of box space is actually much more of a deal-breaker for me than aesthetic, but I know I must be in the minority in that opinion since it's so damn prevalent. I make my own solutions to the problem, though; I make inserts out of foam core and now modify boxes as well. Growing up on the road, with limited storage space, has made me value that space more than most people, I think.

--------

Barinellos wrote:

Note: Raven died on his way back.

Oh, no. Maybe we can have TPManW teach him the ways of the zombie.

--------

So, I recently watched this video about the flow of the DBZ manga, and I feel it's pertinent to the earlier discussion we were having about fast-paced anime fight scenes inside a purely written work. The big takeaways I got were how action lines can direct the reader's eyes so that the action plays out smoothly, elegantly, and quickly; and how anticipation with panel size and page turning can add weight and impact to a hit. I'd still argue that these are concepts that aren't unobtainable in a purely written work.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 387, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393 ... 401  Next