It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 401, 402, 403, 404, 405  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:42 pm 

The site does not have my correct birthday or age. I do not even remember if it still thinks I am a centeginarian or not.

—————————-

Asking permission to write a not so small rant on Pokémon balance or the lack there of. Would anyone mind such a thing? I’m talking actually getting math involved.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:14 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
The site does not have my correct birthday or age. I do not even remember if it still thinks I am a centeginarian or not.

Okay, then. I will try to remember to not wish you a happy birthday when the index page lies to me about it.

mjack33 wrote:
Asking permission to write a not so small rant on Pokémon balance or the lack there of. Would anyone mind such a thing? I’m talking actually getting math involved.

Go right ahead. I personally won't read it, just because I have literally no interest in Pokémon whatsoever, but I've certainly gone on my share of rants that others don't care about, so I see no reason you couldn't.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:41 pm 

Identity: Human
Bluh. Worked another almost 50 hours this week. Didn't see the sun in 4 days. Slept terribly the last few days, as well, and experienced sleep paralysis for the first time.

Now, I'm a rather skeptical person, but now that I've experienced the absolute panic that comes from being awake but unable to move as you hear voices, I can DEFINITELY see why people might think aliens/angels/demons/spirits might be coming for them.

Oh, and something specifically I want to complain/make light of, I have woken myself up screaming (or, kind of vaguely moaning in my sleep as the case may be) often enough recently, that I've literally gone "auuuh! auuuh! auuuh! Oh, god dammit," and rolled over to go back to sleep.

So that's why I didn't come back to say more this week. Meanwhile, I'm losing steam with my NaNoWriMo project for the same reason, and also because I've started getting hung up on elements of worldbuilding and Checkov-gun hanging that I told myself I wouldn't worry about until the much-needed editing pass once I was done with the whole thing. Mostly because of days like Thursday when we were SO BUSY that I had no energy to even eat supper when I got home, only to fall asleep.

mjack33 wrote:
Pokémon lore question: Where do new Ditto come from?

Every other Pokémon is unique and pseudo immortal or it comes from eggs.

I seem to recall reading somewhere -- and this was probably a fan theory because the overall Pokémon lore is spotty at best -- that Dittos are just animate blobs of stem cells. When they breed with other pokemon, they just divide off a small bit of themselves to become an egg-clone of their partner, and they breed themselves just by some sort of division.

mjack33 wrote:
Fun side fact: A lot of Pokedex entries are obvious lies.

I can't speak to the consecutive entries that a lot of pokemon have gotten over the generations, but I always liked the really folklore-esque be-careful-out-there-it's-a-dangerous-world-let-me-tell-you-a-horror-story entries that some pokemon like Shedinja got. Whether it was true or not didn't really detract from the whimsy.

If the index page is to be believed, happy birthday, Lord Luna!

Ah, thank you. Believe it or not, I had actually forgotten until Wednesday, when a co-worker reminded me that my "big day [was] tomorrow." My family has no real idea how to interact with my tastes anymore, and I've always had a very small circle of meatspace friends (who often don't have the money to spare), so it's kind of snuck up on me in recent years, plus I managed to completely lose track of the date over the weekend. A bunch of my co-workers actually pitched in to give me a little birthday lunch party, which was nice, though the rest of the day both before and after was just completely draining. I was done with the day by like 2:30.

--------

Anyway, about the anime I said I'd say a few words on.

I'll talk first on That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, which I'll just refer to as Slime Time from now on. I decided to watch Slime Time because I read through the first four volumes that I got in some manga bundle a while back, and it interested me enough despite my huge problems with the story that I wanted to see where it goes.

Slime Time has all the qualities that I would normally call it a really bad show, though I recently came across a term that sounds so good that I'm going to borrow it: irresponsible storytelling. Now, the animation feels really, really cheap -- I would call it a talking head show if the main character didn't spend most of the time as a faceless slime -- but my main problem with it is the manner in which the main character is almost literally treated as a god. Like, I can understand escapist fantasies, but I have to object when it's taken this far.

It took me a while to figure out why I've been sucked in despite how little the story itself interests me, and I realized that the story is shaking up a lot like MaoYuu (to a much lesser extent Spice & Wolf as well, but the question of "how will the characters actions affect this medieval economy?" was always secondary in that show). Basically, I want to know what happens to this fantasy world now that the main character is pretty much changing everything about the monsters' world.

It's been a week or two since I went back to it, but I was also watching Yu Yu Hakusho (or however it's spelled) for the first time in like 20 years recently. There's a particular kind of weird charm to that 90s dub, especially when the friendly rival character always sounds like he's gargling whenever he speaks. The show itself is... serviceable? Like, even within the first 10 episodes it kind of ignores its own rules for the world it set, and I'm often sitting there screaming "but how?" at the screen, but it's kind of stupid fun anyway.

Mainly, I find Yuyu Hakusho (or however it's spelled) kind of a fascinating time-capsule-like experience, as the whole "juvenile delinquent" genre isn't a thing that's done anymore. Now that the geek have inherited the earth, you don't get main casts like this anymore, full of jerks and creeps even if they do spend a lot of time showing they have hearts of gold.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:17 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
mjack33 wrote:
I,m sorry. I have just been playing sword and shield lately and I am grumpy bc of Aegislash. This Pokémon singlehandedly proves dexit had nothing to do with game balance as they tried to claim.

Huh, Bulbapedia doesn't have the new dex entries for SwSh (Collectively Pokemon Swish). Didn't know that the dex entries were said to affect balance. Honestly, it's a wonder that they haven't overhauled how they write those things generations ago. I suppose the Poke franchise is pretty resistant to improvement though.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:23 am 

Happy birthday troll and belated birthday Luna!

Sadly it doesn't sound like it was particularly jolly...

I'd personally stayed away from Slime Time (I like that short title) because, well, it looked like super typical trashy Isekai Harem fare. And I probably need some of that in my life, especially as I do reviews, but even then I didn't see much reason to put that one on my radar rather than any other.

At least now I know there might be something of a reason to pursue it. Still nowhere on the queue of thing I expect to get to, but maybe a little radar blip at least.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:55 am 

One thing that Slime has that you don't find in a lot of Isekai... And lords know there are a lot of them, is a general sense of optimism and something like empathy. A LOT of isekai are pretty cynical affairs and rampant power fantasies. It's also really not as trashy as the faux harem suggests.

Slime isn't amazing, but it's at least a mildly pleasant way to pass the time. But "mild" is probably the best way to describe it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:41 am 

TPW the game has a bunch of little things wrong with it tgat would normally be let past wo comment; but there are also enough very big things wrong with it that they cannot do so atm.

Some of the new dex entries are bad attempts at realism. It’s okay to be over the top if you also don’t try to take yourself too seriously.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:52 pm 

Yeah, the only other isekai show I've watched has been SAO, and I do get that these are supposed to be pure escapist power fantasies on the whole, but that's kind of what I don't like about them. At least Slime Time has a kind of redeeming quality in that it is kind of intensely optimistic, like Barinellos said.

I actually came close to tears as I watched an episode today, just because of how nice the interactions between characters were. Secondary characters with legitimate grievances against a redeemed villain graciously offering forgiveness tends to get me every time.

I would never actually recommend that someone watch the show -- it's got a lot of problems that I can't even fully express yet -- but the way the main character's focus is on the grand scale of establishing a lasting peace among all the monstrous races of this great forest he incarnated into, gives it a redeeming charm that makes it fairly enjoyable to watch.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:56 am 

Every morning I wake up and read the obituaries. If I haven’t died yet; I go have breakfast.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:20 pm 

I can’t stop playing the new Pokémon games, but that is only bc I have meat friends to play with; and we House Rule it up on principle.

Pros:
Awesome New Mons
Pretty
Great Soundtrack
Wild Area Fantastic
Tons of new metagame content

Cons:
This is the worst online the series has ever had since we stopped needing link cables. There currently isn’t even much of a way to dispute this; bc they replaced a bunch of eorking systems from multiple past games with brand new systems tjat barely work at all. They unnecessarily tried to reinvent the wheel and got an icosohedron made out of putty for their trouble instead. There isn’t even a suitable rant to cover how bad the online is in total while I am still typing on a phone; bc i will not type that much on an iphone.

One of the new mechanics is banned from online play by Nintendo; and the other one is so overpowered it may get banned on Smogon. They’ve also brought back old disasters like Shadow Tag and Baton Pass that somehow made it through the recent purge.

This is the smallest and most linear mainline Pokémon game ever; and that is by a wide margin. It’s still really fun bc it’s Pokémon; but a new ip would have trouble.

The “AI” is still cringe levels of bad at battling.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:52 am 

I think I may detest Kantai Collection.

I'm trying to give the anime a shot because I have that figure I bought accidentally, but it's filled with things I hate, including reading like a fanfiction.

On the other hand... I'm starting to understand RWBY's pedigree.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:58 pm 

I'm into Azur Lane and enjoyed the heck out of Arpeggio of Blue Steel despite its flaws, but everything I've encountered in the realm of shipgirls has told me to stay well away from the KanColle anime.

Which means that now that I'm doing a review blog I'll probably end up watching it myself sooner or later.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:50 pm 

I'm not really all that into most "traditional" Thanksgiving foods, but I must say, pumpkin pie is absolutely delicious.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:18 am 

I'm into Azur Lane and enjoyed the heck out of Arpeggio of Blue Steel despite its flaws, but everything I've encountered in the realm of shipgirls has told me to stay well away from the KanColle anime.

Which means that now that I'm doing a review blog I'll probably end up watching it myself sooner or later.

Honestly, half of what's really irking me about the show (after only 3 episodes, mind you) is how I can tell how terrible, awful, no-good, very bad a game series it is, without ever having even seen it, just because of the references to gameplay they make.

I also really do not like the CGDCT sub-genre of Slice-of-Life shows, so just about everything the characters do to be """"endearing"""" drives me up a wall. I am not holding my breath to see a second dimension on any of these characters anytime soon.

Side-note: I am specifying the sub-genre of SoL because:
a) I have recently become aware that there are about four major sub-genres of Slice-of-Life, when I had only thought the Cute-Girls-Doing-Cute-Things (CGDCT) thing was what constituted SoL and didn't accept works that had real character growth as belonging to the same genre, and
b) when I was looking up whether to watch the sub or dub, someone said it was a highly-CGDCT series, so I'm going to stick with what they said -- incidentally, I'm going with the dub, because trying to learn a language when someone is "tawking aww cyootesy-wootsey" is highly annoying and can really get in the way of recognizing words.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:05 am 

I'm personally torn on CGDCT. Mostly because I think it gets called inappropriately. Like, Haibane Renmei shouldn't be called a CGDCT show by the metrics of expectation (it's more of a drama) even though it is kind of a Slice of Life show and features a mostly female cast that spends a decent amount of their time interacting with each other in fairly pleasant ways.

I mean I also once saw somebody call Madoka Magica CGDCT, but I think that was just flat-out wrong, not a matter of technicalities...

Or maybe there's just stupid and smart CGDCT. Because the "Oh tee-hee, cute for cute's sake, no growth or interest here" stuff totally exists, but then there are powerhouses that fit the technical definition but not that expectation. Sort of like Isekai or Harem there's a level of not caring implied by the label that doesn't have to be true. Is Steins;Gate a Harem show? Is Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai? Should Vision of Escaflowne be discounted as Isekai?

... which is all kind of tangental because it sounds like KanColle isn't on the spectrum so much as in the depths.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:59 am 

Either you enjoy watching a show; or you do not. Does the genre really matter a few episodes in?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:14 am 

Anyone eho thinks Madoka is CGDCT either hasn’t seen the show or is a complete psychopath.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:45 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
mjack33 wrote:
Anyone eho thinks Madoka is CGDCT either hasn’t seen the show or is a complete psychopath.

Or trolling. I never even heard of the other shows except the name Escaflowne sounds faintly familiar.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:54 am 

Unless you are the Joker, trolling requires a human parsable sense of humor.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:06 pm 

Not necessarily. Some people troll just because they enjoy making people upset. Which I guess is basically the same as just wanting to watch the world burn, do I guess you're point still stands.

my ego sig

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 401, 402, 403, 404, 405  Next