It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8817 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412 ... 441  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:46 pm 

Identity: Human
Oh man, I saw that one on the 15th, also in subs. It was really good, but for me at least kinda put me through the wringer more than the director's previous outing, Your Name (Kimi no Na wa). They're both very good, but Weathering with You was, for me at least, the kind of good that actually makes it less rewatchable.

I only recently saw Your Name as well, just a few months ago before I let my Funimation subscription expire. I guess that explains the look and feel of Weathering, though my opinions of the two are probably opposite? Like, I did come to tears the very first time watching Your Name, but between the acid trip that was the third-act-twist of that movie, and the manner in which it resolved, it felt a lot more emotionally manipulative than Weathering to me. Not to say that Your Name was as bad as, say, Planetarian, but I felt like the romance plot of Weathering was more grounded and less dramatic, such that I think I'd more readily rewatch Weathering than I would Your Name.

I do think it's worth pointing out that I think Weathering has some noticeable failures in the way it tells its story, and that's part of why I'm more eager to rewatch it than I am Your Name. I wouldn't say the flaws make it inherently more interesting, but I want to go over it again with a fine-toothed comb and tease out what would have made it better.

--------

In other news, I feel my nerves fraying in a different way now. Ever since taking November to myself, I've been more free with calling off my usual hang-outs with the meatspace friends I've talked about before, which I have this weekend, but now something new is adding to my troubles. Basically put, a friend is going out to a convention this year that I took him along to last year, but I'm not going, and it seems he is completely incapable of searching for plane tickets himself. He's asking for my help searching for plane tickets.

I know this is an infinitesimally small thing, but I've been feeling overwhelmed already, that him asking for me to deal with his **** on top of my own gets me worked up.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:24 pm 

Is this one of those things where you just want to vent; or is this one of those things where you want advice on what to do with your “friend”?

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:40 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
Is this one of those things where you just want to vent; or is this one of those things where you want advice on what to do with your “friend”?

Just want to vent.

I know, logically, I am being petty and judgemental, but I'm just kinda stressed out right now and really don't need to deal with a grown- ass adult who can't be bothered to google "plane tickets from [city] to [city]".

Again, petty and judgmental.

QUICKEDIT: I forgot for a minute that "ass" isn't censored here and added a space in-between "grown" and "ass" to make sure my intended word was clear. I just found that funny.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:49 am 

It sounds like my assumption was correct and your friend is just being lazy. Thus it’s not a minor thing; you shouldn’t make excuses for them like “I know it’s an infinitesimally small thing”; and you shouldn’t feel bad about not wanting to put up with their manufactured drama. If I was in your situation I’d have infinitely less patience; bc I refuse to put up with someone being too lazy to spend 10 minutes figuring it out on something that is worst case minor trial and error.

This of course is why I am in tech and not customer service.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:11 am 

On the other hand, not knowing how to book tickets indicates too me that this might be this person's first time traveling this far alone, which can be a terrifying experience. This might not be mainly about the tickets, but rather about needing some kind of support to feel confident about the trip. A lot of people would struggle to express those feelings, so asking for help with a mundane task is easier. I have no idea of this is the car here, but it certainly is a thing that could happen.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:42 am 

Again I am making assumptions that may be wrong; but I assumed Luna wouldn’t be complaining this way if this wasn’t a pattern of behavior similar to why Luna took November off from their friends. If this is one off behavior and Luna is the best person to go to for support; then I apologize for any wrong assumptions I have made. But I am partially making these assumptions based on our resident saint’s personality as well too.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:30 pm 

Actually, Aaarrrgh seems to have hit upon a key component: this is his first time really adulting on his own. He even said to me that he's "never even heard of Kayak before," so I knew beforehand that, for him, it's a matter of looking like a giant problem that he's not equipped to handle.

On the other hand, as mjack says, this could be done at worst with some trial and error, or just by doing a small handful of google searches. Part of my problem with it is that this friend has actively complained before about people telling him "just google it" in reference to minor things; I know that he's not just reticent but resistant to the idea of doing his own effing research, which is what gets on my nerves about this whole thing.

But, I have been in his situation before, tackling a problem that I don't know how to even approach and feeling like I am not capable of solving it. I know where he's coming from. I just can't understand asking someone else for help because I've always relied on myself first and foremost. That is a personal problem I'm only starting to come to grips with to try relying on other people sometimes, but it leads me to become irked at people who rely on others first.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:29 pm 

What was the saying about fish? “Teach a man to fish, and he’ll not flip over his canoe”?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:34 pm 

Being an adult sucks. It’s basically babysitting yourself 24/7. But it’s less frustrating than babysitting other adults who you have no biological relationship to.

Just a general observation not limited to the current context. Y’all have me philosophizing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:41 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
It’s basically babysitting yourself 24/7.

Ha! I really like this phrasing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:03 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
What was the saying about fish? “Teach a man to fish, and he’ll not flip over his canoe”?
Reminds me of another saying "Built a man a fire, he is warm for a night. Light a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life." I think that one's from one of the lesser philosophers of antiquity, though it's still true.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:06 pm 

The canoe is completely original. I am a wise sage who knows nothing.

Babysitting yourself is partially from some tv special I cannot remember. Only the last line is mine.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:15 pm 

One of my greatest skills is keeping my thoughts to myself.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:09 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
One of my greatest skills is keeping my thoughts to myself.

I really don't know when to take you seriously, because you'll make several stream-of-consciousness posts and then end it with something like this.

--------

I also thought it worth mentioning that a friend just messaged me a two-image meme that read "aren't you tired of being nice all the time? Wouldn't you love to go ape ****?"

And like... With mjack here referring to me as a "saint," I'm just kind of floored that people look at me like I'm some sort of... I don't know, pure being of light. I have hang-ups just like everyone else, but people seem to know me for being a paladin or something.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:33 am 

This conversation has mostly been me attempting to be helpful with a bit of humor and self reflection thrown in to try and keep the mood light. The vast majority of it is also heavily self censored; because the uncensored version isn’t helpful when the goal is to make people feel better.

————

Speaking of, if it makes you feel better you have way too many character flaws to really be a saint.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:14 am 

The idea that a saint cannot have flaws is a weird misconstruction that makes me sad. The biblical saints were deeply flawed, but they still made the world a better place. Still, I wouldn't call you a saint, Luna, because to me that word is far more about motivation than actual behavior, and I don't know what motivates you. However, from what I've seen of your behavior you seem consistently kind and helpful. It might be that you balance that out with some deep hidden wickedness we cannot imagine, but the impression you make is certainly a good one.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:55 pm 

I do not mean in the biblical sense when I call someone a saint. For example, I would not consider Mother Theresa to be a saint.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:23 pm 

Really? What would disqualify her in your opinion?

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:21 pm 

The charities she founded did a lot of very bad things for religious reasons. You will easily come across said things if you do some research; but I don’t want to go too far down that discussion on an internet forum. Basically “good” intentions but... not so good results.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:17 am 

Yeah, it feels like that discussion wouldn't be great. I checked the Wikipedia page on the criticism against her, and there are a lot of things that are hard to unpack and go into a place of analyzing motives and deeper philosophy of her actions, and we don't want to do that. Thanks for making me more aware of those controversies, though. While I disagree with at least some of the points raised in them, it was good to read.

Anyway, that sorry of illustrates my previous point: there are no flawless people. If you define a saint as "a person who is purely good in every aspect all the time" you won't find anyone to fill those criteria.

my ego sig

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8817 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412 ... 441  Next