It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:11 am 

Barinellos wrote:
I just spent like two hours trying to remember a german song I haven't heard in three years.
Thatwas a frustrating use of my time, but I am feeling pretty pleased I suceeded.

Was it "99 luftballons?" 'Cause that's a good German song.

Selig by Helium Vola.

Quote:
Barinellos wrote:
So, hey, how's everyone?

Not too bad. The last couple of days have been stressful, but I only have about half a day of work left and then I'm on Summer vacation, which I am very much looking forward to.

Home stretch buddy.
I'm rooting for you bro!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:58 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
It does sound a bit edgy, but nobody's perfect.

It's not really the edgyness, but rather that I get the impression of them expecting the entire game to unfold in a very specific way, and I don't really play rpgs to enact someone's story for them.
The traits and flaws are also wildly unbalanced.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:35 am 

I really want to make a chaotic evil cleric right now; but I think I would be thrown out of the campaign within a few play sessions.

Also Mr. Welch’s list is wrong. It’s always a race to 0 SAN.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:42 am 

Looking at the thread some more:

A) y’all would have to teach me how to play and

B) i doubt I’d get a character approved

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:53 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
My two D&D characters (outside of one shots) so far have been an evangelizing cleric of pacifism and a Tarrasque trapped in the body of a brownie.
For The Age of the End campaign all I've come up with is somebody with a real need to be good but no clear idea how to do it right. He (or she, I don't care) has been stuck in a treadmill of crises of faith, unsure if they should take their cues from parents (and which one), village elders (what, you mean they disagree too?!), or the church and philosophers (tried a few, but nothing really stuck). Now, after a life of uncertainty and inaction, my PC has decided that it's time to take charge even if their not 100% certain, because indecision is definitely not the best action. Probably going to dip my toes in a few philosophies before learning to take chage for myself.
It doesn't seem quite up to par with my other characters though.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:52 pm 

Identity: Human
Barinellos wrote:
So, hey, how's everyone?

Making up for the sleep I got during the month off of work, it seems. But, then again, I did expect this.

Also somehow I misread your post at first, and didn't realize you asked this.

Mown wrote:
It does sound a bit edgy, but nobody's perfect.

It's not really the edgyness, but rather that I get the impression of them expecting the entire game to unfold in a very specific way, and I don't really play rpgs to enact someone's story for them.
The traits and flaws are also wildly unbalanced.

Eh~ I'm willing to give it a shot, at the very least, even if I am getting the same vibes as you. I don't know enough about the system to say what's balanced, but he does seem maybe a little overeager to mess with said system. He directly says "homebrew is, needless to say, allowed" (emphasis mine) as if that were the most obvious thing in the world.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:49 am 

Well, the setting is homebrew with changes to several races and the very concept of religion. So yeah, it should be needless to say that homebrew is allowed. But that in itself is not necessarily a bad thing.

About his focus on a planned narrative, that is not automatically bad either (although it could be). I'm happy to indulge his story ideas as long as he lets me play my character freely within that story. The DM should get to have fun too, and he's clearly put a lot of thought into this.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:20 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I've had some, let's say, subpar experienced in my life that taint my expectations of GMs with great plans. I also belong to the camp of "find the game for your players" and not "find the players for your game", but a lot of people have fun with even premade adventures.

Now that I've rolled stats I'm feeling the sunk cost fallacy creep up on me though.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:26 am 

Yeah, we'll see how rigid it turns out to be. I've decided to be hopeful just because I feel like even if it is not the ideal game it will still be better than not playing at all. And who knows, it could turn out to be absolutely amazing.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:16 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Mown wrote:
I've had some, let's say, subpar experienced in my life that taint my expectations of GMs with great plans. I also belong to the camp of "find the game for your players" and not "find the players for your game", but a lot of people have fun with even premade adventures.

I feel it's a matter of both degree and taste. A campaign I concluded as GM where everybody declared themselves very satisfied had fixed "stations" (cities and whatnot) and plot points (i.e. "find a receptacle for a shard of divine power"), and there even was a literal Prophecy around the group.

The catch? Every station and plot point could be resolved in any way that made sense in-game, the prophecy, while binding to the group (and not single characters, as players changed during the first weeks) - was basically a weaponized blessing so that the group could defeat a semi-divine being, and each character was offered opportunities to exploit the dream logic of Fae Magic so the narrative each player decided with me for his character could trump Realism. The players even surprised me with the ending!

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:52 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
Well, the setting is homebrew with changes to several races and the very concept of religion. So yeah, it should be needless to say that homebrew is allowed. But that in itself is not necessarily a bad thing.

Maybe it's just my inexperience, but I feel like there's a difference between a GM bringing a few "homebrew" ideas (of which I hesitate to call setting a homebrew thing at any time) for his players to explore, and a player bringing homebrew ideas for his GM to approve.

On the subject of D&D, though, it's been brought to my attention that you can be a Transformer by playing a Warforged Druid, if you have a GM that will allow it. Druids are supposed to lose their powers while touching/holding metal, which is the entirety of a Warforged's body, so that's something that would need approval.

--------

Work has gotten hectic again, but for completely different reasons than it used to. I had 1 actual lunch break this week, because several doctors are working through lunch and leaving at 1-2 o'clock instead of having a morning and afternoon clinic. It's fine for their team, but since I work with ALL the doctors, I simply have to eat my lunch when I find the time, because by the time one is done for the "morning," the others have started for the afternoon. But, I was reminded that Memorial Day is a thing, so I get a long weekend now.

Also, I have now slapped myself awake in the middle of the night. So, I've sleeptalked myself awake, sleep-sung myself awake, and now slapped myself awake as well.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:29 pm 

On the subject of D&D, though, it's been brought to my attention that you can be a Transformer by playing a Warforged Druid, if you have a GM that will allow it. Druids are supposed to lose their powers while touching/holding metal, which is the entirety of a Warforged's body, so that's something that would need approval.

Warforged are composed of equal parts stone, metal, and Ironwood.
Warforged druids replace the metal with more Ironwood.

Quote:
Work has gotten hectic again, but for completely different reasons than it used to. I had 1 actual lunch break this week, because several doctors are working through lunch and leaving at 1-2 o'clock instead of having a morning and afternoon clinic. It's fine for their team, but since I work with ALL the doctors, I simply have to eat my lunch when I find the time, because by the time one is done for the "morning," the others have started for the afternoon. But, I was reminded that Memorial Day is a thing, so I get a long weekend now.

Also, I have now slapped myself awake in the middle of the night. So, I've sleeptalked myself awake, sleep-sung myself awake, and now slapped myself awake as well.

Sounds rough buddy.
If there were any viable way I could help, I would.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:38 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Sounds rough buddy.
If there were any viable way I could help, I would.

I think it goes without saying that I love you guys being there for me, but I'm just kind of complaining, as you do when you're a bit down. After having nearly a month of actual free time (even if they were kind of terror-filled days), it's just rough on my body having to go back to waking up at 5:30am and go 8+ hours without natural light. I've also noticed, having a set waking time (nevermind that it's so early) doesn't leave me much wiggle room in getting a full 8 hours sleep, since I have a hard time "turning off," and I also can't just sleep in a little bit if I had a rough night.

--------

I also forgot to mention that I had my first brush with the Nasuverse over the course of this month. At the start of the month, before I had gone back to work, a rewatch of Garden of Sinners was going on, and someone posted a clip of the first 2 minutes of the first movie, and it had such a tone to it that it immediately grabbed my attention.

I'm sad to say I didn't like it in the end.

Firstly, I don't think that it really fully took advantage of the tone and premise that it set up in the first movie. The dark atmosphere steadily lightens while the plot sometime veers into the hard-boiled without real maturity, in my opinion. It also delivers a hefty dose of semi-philosophical **** involving the setting's magical rules, that I feel may have been a bit lost in translation, but which I definitely don't have the patience for anymore. There are even times when it seems content to leave somewhat important rules of its world unexplained, as if it's leaving the Fate series as homework for the audience to actually understand it, instead of just standing on its own.

Secondly, I hated the male lead protagonist. He was the most bland, boring protagonist I can think of, and in spite of that he somehow gets a bit of a harem going, which includes a cat -- not a catgirl or cat-turned-girl, an actual cat. The main female protagonist is also hopelessly entangled with him, which brings down her otherwise stellar character. I actually can't say that I liked the main female lead as a character all that much, but she's so much more of a person than most other female characters, and I can deeply appreciate that even if I find her personality* somewhat off-putting. Similarly, I say they're the leads, but the series has a bit of a habit of focusing on other characters instead of them for the movie/episode they're introduced -- having them fade into obscurity afterwards -- rather than just follow our main protagonists, who seem to be incidental more often than not.

If I could plot my interest in the series over the course of my watching on a graph, it would look like a bell curve. It has a heck of a climax right at the middle, and (so I heard) that was supposed to be the original ending, but then it kept going until it had a theatrical ending, an epilogue, an OVA after-story, and an OVA epilogue to the after-story.

*one of her personalities, because she has multiple, and they're also tied up to some magic ****

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:54 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Aaarrrgh wrote:

Maybe it's just my inexperience, but I feel like there's a difference between a GM bringing a few "homebrew" ideas (of which I hesitate to call setting a homebrew thing at any time) for his players to explore, and a player bringing homebrew ideas for his GM to approve.

I'd like to think that most DMs run a homebrew setting, or at least a heavily modified version of one of the WOTC productions. I suspect I'm wrong there though. D&D has been trending steadily away from the make-you-own mentality since the begining.

Were you bitten by a dream mosquito? Those things can get HUGE.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:55 pm 

You should be half trollkin, half dragonborn, and half warforged. All of the racial bonuses of troll kin without any of the drawbacks. Plus some benefits. Also your DM will immediately hate your character.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 pm 

People tell me there is more to offensive spell casting than magic missile, fireball, and lightning bolt. Those people aren’t trying hard enough.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:59 pm 

It is always a race to 0 SAN. The sane people just don’t know it yet.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:29 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
People tell me there is more to offensive spell casting than magic missile, fireball, and lightning bolt. Those people aren’t trying hard enough.

And this sort of thing is why I run Power Words as a magic system instead.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:54 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

mjack33 wrote:
You should be half trollkin, half dragonborn, and half warforged. All of the racial bonuses of troll kin without any of the drawbacks. Plus some benefits. Also your DM will immediately hate your character.

Be three goblins in a tenchcoat! Or a dog! In a trenchcoat!

mjack33 wrote:

Wise words indeed.

Barinellos wrote:
mjack33 wrote:

I think I've heard of that and vaguely approved. What was it again?

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:27 pm 

TPmanW wrote:
Barinellos wrote:
mjack33 wrote:

I think I've heard of that and vaguely approved. What was it again?

Essentially, it's a system by which you build your own spell effects, with different aspects dictating things like range, shape, energy, meta magic, level, etc.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430  Next