It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:40 pm 

Identity: Human
The only thing I could reasonably call a "ride" that I got on was this Space Needle thing, which was completely enclosed and spun as it slowly went up maybe two or three hundred feet and slowly came back down after a minute up there. I have never been one for thrill rides. Six Flags, for instance is a place I would only ever want to go to once in my life, and I have had the mispleasure of being there twice.

I would have spent more time in the animal areas, if it weren't so geared toward kids. I don't want to feel like a creeper while I'm petting the animals... I did get to see a horse show, though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:33 pm 

Did not love the 4H tents. When I was little, I tried to pet a duck in one of the cages, and the duck bit me. I have been holding a grudge against ducks ever since...

There's a story waiting there...

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 am 

Barinellos wrote:
Did not love the 4H tents. When I was little, I tried to pet a duck in one of the cages, and the duck bit me. I have been holding a grudge against ducks ever since...

There's a story waiting there...

Honestly my mind had immediately gone to the horse-sized duck question.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:45 am 

So, my buddy ended up getting me something extra for my birthday and it arrived today.
The entire series of Duckman!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:23 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
So, my buddy ended up getting me something extra for my birthday and it arrived today.

I can't say I'm at all familiar with that name. Is it something I should look into?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:49 pm 

Oh, man, I haven't thought about Duckman in years. Now that was an experience.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:48 am 

Barinellos wrote:

I can't say I'm at all familiar with that name. Is it something I should look into?

It was an early 90's adult cartoon done by the studio that made about half the Nicktoons.
At the age I was, I should noooooot have been allowed to watch it.

The show is downright misanthropic, but it does have heart. It's also surreal to be Dada-esque, so...

Oh, man, I haven't thought about Duckman in years. Now that was an experience.
I am actually shocked at how many episodes there are.
I also, surprisingly, don't recall much of the show, which is itself a bit of a novel experience.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 am 

I just came back from the last Nightmare Nights Dallas! I cried 12 times during the closing ceremonies! $37,400 was raised for charity! I made friends with an 11 year old kid we all dubbed "Devil Hitler"! I ate at a restaurant called The Magic Time Machine! It was a blast!

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:55 pm 

I went to a tournament today for Legend of the Five Rings! I lost all three matches I was in, but I had a helluva time! Possibly my downfall was playing a defensive clan; I haven't really wrapped my head around how I'm supposed to be playing it yet.

Due to the nature of L5R -- it being a generally long game (also again playing a defensive clan) -- I went to time on two of my three matches, though if the last match had not needed to be called because of store closing time without giving us the opportunity for maybe one last turn, I think I could have won. I had the stronger board and was only 1 point under my opponent based on the point system for calling matches that had gone to time.

Plus, I got some bonus loot just for being part of it: a full art champion of the clan that's my second choice, an alternate art Imperial Favor card, and some clan stickers. Plus, I got the first expansion while I was there even though I thought it was releasing on the 16th. It was a good day.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:37 am 

Plus, I got some bonus loot just for being part of it: a full art champion of the clan that's my second choice, an alternate art Imperial Favor card, and some clan stickers. Plus, I got the first expansion while I was there even though I thought it was releasing on the 16th. It was a good day.

Ooooooooo!

They had magnums of prosecco at the grocery store. :)

Now I have magnums of prosecco in my apartment. :D

Our refrigerator is not big enough to chill a magnum of prosecco. :(

It is now very cold outside, and the world is my fridge. :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:46 pm 

Reviving this thread because I feel we all need it as of late, even if there's nothing particularly big that I feel like I can share.

But, I've kind of been re-discovering how much I enjoy cooking. For a long while, I had been preparing big meals to eat throughout the week because I was often too tired to cook after a long day, but recently I've been deviating from my normal recipes -- oftentimes just winging it because I've now gotten good enough to not need a specific recipe for my favorite ingredients -- to just come up with new (for me, at least) dishes. In the process, I've started remembering how much I just really enjoy cooking, and it's been giving me energy, even after a long, 10-hour day (like today).

Also, and this may be jumping the gun on announcing it, but I've decided to try my hand at NaNoWriMo, in part because I needed to take some major time to myself to refill and rejuvenate, and the timing was just about perfect. Here's hoping I do well.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:32 am 

Oooh, looking forward to see what you create for NaNoWriMo.

Totally agree on the cooking thing, too. Doing a few things over and over until I built the confidence to experiment was exactly what I did when I really started to cook.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:23 pm 

But, I've kind of been re-discovering how much I enjoy cooking. For a long while, I had been preparing big meals to eat throughout the week because I was often too tired to cook after a long day, but recently I've been deviating from my normal recipes -- oftentimes just winging it because I've now gotten good enough to not need a specific recipe for my favorite ingredients -- to just come up with new (for me, at least) dishes. In the process, I've started remembering how much I just really enjoy cooking, and it's been giving me energy, even after a long, 10-hour day (like today).

Very cool. I'm glad you have something that you really enjoy.

Cooking for me essentially means turning on the oven, taking something out of my freezer, taking the packaging off, and, well, you get the point...

Also, and this may be jumping the gun on announcing it, but I've decided to try my hand at NaNoWriMo, in part because I needed to take some major time to myself to refill and rejuvenate, and the timing was just about perfect. Here's hoping I do well.

Good luck and have fun. The biggest thing, I think, is to just keep going. Don't worry about editing yourself, don't worry about quality, just get the words down. You can always polish things up later.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:54 pm 

I think I've just been won over into reading manga, at least, physically instead of digitally (jury's still out on comics, but I doubt it would take much to sway me).

I've been reading Uzumaki by Junji Ito, the master of the page-turn, at the same time as I've been reading the first volume of a manga I picked up on a whim called Doubt. Doubt's entire story can be summed up in five words: it's a game of Werewolf.

On it's own, Doubt is intriguing enough to keep my attention, even if the main character is a Dumb Ass. The thing is, it's obviously trying to build suspense, but because I'm reading Uzumaki at the same time, I can't help but notice how really, really bad that Doubt is at building that suspense inside its pages. Not that I mean it fails to build tension or that it's unenjoyable; quite the opposite, as I've been pleasantly surprised at being able to pick apart what it's trying to do and why that isn't working as it should.

Uzumaki is a thing of beauty -- well, actually, it's horrifyingly disgusting body twisting, but beautiful in that regard -- because of how well every page is framed, to borrow a movie term. Every horrifying reveal is built up just before you turn the page, until you're actually greeted with the horror imagery as you turn the page, making for some thrilling suspense. The fact that Doubt doesn't do this, like, at all is only something I notice as a comparison, but to circle back around to my former point, there's just something kind of more viscerally immediate about seeing the page turn work in such a way physically, when there's two pages in front of you and the author has to plan that out. It makes it both really satisfying and an excellent way to think about and digest what I'm reading.

Nichijou (the manga) actually does this really well right in it's first few pages, as well, although for comedic effect. The very first gag is of a character hurrying down the street, unable to stop before running into someone just stepping around a corner, and on the page turn you see a huge explosion, the expected reaction (the characters run into each other) increased to absurdity (an explosion). I do absolutely love the anime adaptation, but I understand how comics work so much more than I do television, film, animation, or even comedy, so it's something that stands out to me and something that I can explain to other people so much easier.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:20 am 

That is a cool observation. Reminds me of how Isaac
Asimov used to write mystery short stories for magazines, and worked with the editor to make sure the big reveal always happened right after a page break so the readers had a chance to stop and figure it out themselves.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:50 pm 

I've been hesitant to share my NaNoWriMo progress, because historically right about the time I want to talk about my projects is when they fall apart, but I have kept a decent enough pace thus far that I'm not far off their recommended pace, and there's been some surprising developments.

As you all may or may not know, I tend to let the characters kind of "exist" in my head as I write, and write out what it feels like wants to happen, rather than make a tightly planned and executed outline. As a result, oftentimes things happen that I never expected as I was planning out the plot points.

In my NaNoWriMo writings thus far:
  • An unplanned romance has bloomed, between a 25-year-old human and a 100-year-old elf
  • A pair of characters turned out to be homunculi, but they don't know that
  • There's a side story about these two homunculi coming to grips with what they are that keeps wanting to write itself -- I've already had to discount about 1,000 words as I realize I'm following the wrong plotline
  • One of the secondary antagonists has also turned out to be a homunculi, and they do know that (but nobody else does)
  • Said antagonist is throwing me all sorts of hints that they're the real villain of the piece
  • It seems this story is taking place in the same world as A Lesson in Necromancy that I tried writing some time ago

It has been quite pleasantly surprising, discovering all these things.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:20 pm 

By luck or by providence, I've reached about the half-way mark in the story I'm writing for NaNoWriMo.

Also, the other day I seemed to have hit upon a short theme of drugs and addiction with one of the characters. It hasn't come up again as of yet, but it was something that kind of hit me suddenly.

Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:38 pm 

I've actually forgotten to post about this, in part because I wrote a big long post praising it on a work computer and forgot to send it to myself, but I recently finished reading the short webcomic Hinges, and I absolutely loved it.

To start with, as I said, it's a short overall story: it's only three volumes long, around 150 pages each. I like that because it makes it immanently digestible in ways most webcomics aren't, like how an hour-and-a-half long movie is much more digestible than a thirteen-hour long TV series. Plus, it means it's already finished, which is a plus for me, as I've grown tired of never-ending series in any medium.

It's actually extremely light on dialogue, to the point where large sections will pass without a single word, but I never found it lacking. The author's artistic style is really good at capturing character's emotions in their expressions and their body language, so while words can be sparse, it never feels like they're missing. Having recently read through The Saga of Rex, which is a comic book whose core conceit is being dialogue-less, I couldn't help but make comparisons, but I felt that Hinges did it so much better.

One of my favorite things is the author's sense of composition, both inside the panels as well as across panels in a page. A great example comes from the very second page:
page 2

I could probably spend paragraphs explaining what makes this page great, but I don't want to waste time ineffectually trying to convince someone who doesn't already have a sense of why it's good. A lot of pages are like this one, completely dialogueless, but with so much meaning and emotion crammed into the panels which just flow from one to another, that I often just had to pause and admire the page, from the way the panels lead the eye, to the magnificent use of color, to the heart-wrenching emotion that the characters can show. I came to tears several times, both from the story itself as well as the beautiful comics art.

I don't really have the right know-how to comment on the art style, but I think it sits at a perfect middle ground between overly detailed and too abstract, that it works perfectly for the comics medium.

Of course, the strange world and character designs are what drew me into the comic in the first place; it's non-traditional fantasy, with doll-like nonbiological characters accompanied by living plush animal companions, and the main villain of the first act is a 2-and-a-half-D paper tiger, so it's a wonderfully whimsical world. The short nature of the story means the world isn't overly explored, either, so the world never loses its wonder.

I feel like I could gush about this for a long time, so if you're interested, go read it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:54 am 

Writing this from the shoreline before shoving off, but even if I don't make it today, I've still managed to write some 48k continuous words this November.

Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:27 pm 

Writing this from the shoreline before shoving off, but even if I don't make it today, I've still managed to write some 48k continuous words this November.

That's great, Luna! That is definitely an accomplishment. Congratulations!

Like this post