It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:25 am 

Let it be known I'd felt like doing this ages ago, but never really bothered. Then Raven did it first, damn him!
Then Huey did it.... point is, as me questions about my characters.

...and no, I don'y know what Smash Bros moves they'd have. I haven't played that series since the original came out.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:47 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Recycled because I think it's an interesting question and might as well (cit.)

What's your characters' biggest pet peeve? What about their weak/soft spot?

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:28 am 

If you were to do a massive, multi-character cross-over story à la The War of the Wheel, which of your characters would you include and why?

Which of your characters do you consider most dynamic (in the sense of fitting the most "different" kinds of stories)? Least dynamic?

We have several characters floating around who have been in only one story, or none at all. If you were to do a story with one of these characters, which would it be, why, and what would they do? (Technically cheating, I know, since you asked for questions about your characters, but still...)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:44 am 

Sorry for the delay, I've not felt too hot the past few days and work is about to slug me another, so I've been a bit distracted. Huey, I promise I'll answer your question, I just have to... make a list to remember everyone.
If you were to do a massive, multi-character cross-over story à la The War of the Wheel, which of your characters would you include and why?

Funfact: I actually had a plan for this!
Given, I feel it has shifted as the landscape has, so...

The tale wouldn't change all that much with substitutions, as the original called for Molcru, but water under the bridge there.
The tale I wish to weave is of the final downfall of the tyrant Vasillias.
Of my own walkers, it would center around Maral and Cara.
Maral, because of her extensive historical knowledge and brute strength.
Cara, because of her expertise in keeping the dead in their place.

Naturally, I'd need to borrow a few characters from elsewhere, but that wasn't the question.

Quote:
Which of your characters do you consider most dynamic (in the sense of fitting the most "different" kinds of stories)? Least dynamic?

That's a tough nut to crack.
I think the Shifter and Duchess probably fit the bill as the most dynamic, given the scope and ever shifting nature of their game. Given, their roles wouldn't likely alter much, but given how we've seen them interact with others, they wouldn't have to be the focal characters either.

As to least dynamic: the sheer alien presence of I just demands the story ultimately warp around it.

Quote:
We have several characters floating around who have been in only one story, or none at all. If you were to do a story with one of these characters, which would it be, why, and what would they do? (Technically cheating, I know, since you asked for questions about your characters, but still...)

hrm... that's a different sort of tough nut. Partly because that list is a bit lengthy in and of itself.
I suppose it would have to be the vampire slaying fox whose name momentarily escapes me, almost purely because of familiarity with the subject.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:22 am 

Barinellos wrote:
Sorry for the delay, I've not felt too hot the past few days and work is about to slug me another, so I've been a bit distracted. Huey, I promise I'll answer your question, I just have to... make a list to remember everyone.

Don't worry; this is meant to be fun, if it isn't, just wait until it is :)

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:56 am 

Barinellos wrote:

Funfact: I actually had a plan for this!
Given, I feel it has shifted as the landscape has, so...

The tale wouldn't change all that much with substitutions, as the original called for Molcru, but water under the bridge there.
The tale I wish to weave is of the final downfall of the tyrant Vasillias.
Of my own walkers, it would center around Maral and Cara.
Maral, because of her extensive historical knowledge and brute strength.
Cara, because of her expertise in keeping the dead in their place.

Naturally, I'd need to borrow a few characters from elsewhere, but that wasn't the question.

Oh, yeah, I remember you dropping a few references to that over the years. It would be good to get Renn Winmoore out from under the old man's thumb, one way or the other. Maral is particularly interesting to me here because of her connection with Raleris, who we know also has a history with Vasilias due to Keeper's "To Call the World to Heel." Very interesting.

Barinellos wrote:
Quote:

hrm... that's a different sort of tough nut. Partly because that list is a bit lengthy in and of itself.
I suppose it would have to be the vampire slaying fox whose name momentarily escapes me, almost purely because of familiarity with the subject.

Salkhi.

He's an interesting one, because I've had (as you know) some ambitious plans for him, but I've found him sort of hard to write for because a huge part of his character is him being so distant.

Actually, that brings up another question I can ask:

What's Aerik up to these days? We only have, I think, two Aerik stories? One canon ("Meeting") and one non ("The Snowman Cometh")? Do you have any plans for the character? Do you, as I do with Salkhi, have difficulty writing for someone who is so (pun intended) cold?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:22 am 

Oh, yeah, I remember you dropping a few references to that over the years. It would be good to get Renn Winmoore out from under the old man's thumb, one way or the other. Maral is particularly interesting to me here because of her connection with Raleris, who we know also has a history with Vasilias due to Keeper's "To Call the World to Heel." Very interesting.

Raleris, Jade, and Renn, as a consequence, would factor into the story.
There were plans for another character from way way back, but the author never finished him and didn't make the transition. I'd have to rejigger the story to account for his absence.

Quote:
What's Aerik up to these days? We only have, I think, two Aerik stories? One canon ("Meeting") and one non ("The Snowman Cometh")? Do you have any plans for the character? Do you, as I do with Salkhi, have difficulty writing for someone who is so (pun intended) cold?

Actually, Aerik's stories are BOTH canon.

And I've had something in my back pocket for months for Aerik, but I've just not been able to roll it onto the page.
As to the second part of your question, I find introspective and distant characters easier to write than characters like Aloise who are kinder and more outgoing.

Recycled because I think it's an interesting question and might as well (cit.)

What's your characters' biggest pet peeve? What about their weak/soft spot?

Long awaited answers await!

Aamir: Pessimism
Alessa: Optimism
Cara: When people touch her
Aerik: Bad ale
Antony: When people mispronounce his name
Huinn: Lies
Maral: When you know how to do something, but can't get what you want to happen
Zhiran: Having to use magic to find something that's been misplaced
Rishima: A lack of respect
Ilyta: her reading glasses
Saigo: Those with authority they don't deserve
Sri Hara: Aching joints
I: Loneliness
Shifter: When people don't laugh at his jokes
Duchess: The Shifter

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:36 am 

Barinellos wrote:
Quote:

Really? I genuinely do not remember voting in "The Snowman Cometh." Did I miss that somehow?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:25 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Quote:

Really? I genuinely do not remember voting in "The Snowman Cometh." Did I miss that somehow?

No, it hadn't gone up for vote yet, but I intend to put it there... At some point.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:12 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Sri Hara: Aching joints

BIG MOOD.

Hrm... questions, questions...

I mean, I know this is something we've discussed indirectly sort of ad infinitim in the past, but I don't know if I've ever fully gotten my head around the answer: what does Alessa want? Like, setting the diversions aside, what does she actually want? I know what she's running from, but is there anything she's running to anymore?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:31 am 

I mean, I know this is something we've discussed indirectly sort of ad infinitim in the past, but I don't know if I've ever fully gotten my head around the answer: what does Alessa want? Like, setting the diversions aside, what does she actually want? I know what she's running from, but is there anything she's running to anymore?

If all is said and done, and you cut the BS, I think Alessa just wants to stop having to be 'on' every second of the day. The poor girl is in constant stress just keeping her vision narrow enough that she doesn't get lost in the millions of futures she experiences in any one moment.
But if you took that away, it'd be the equivalent of blinding her.

But if the question is if she's running toward anything?...
No. She lives with the future, so she can't even move towards that.
Hell, I'd say she's running from it as surely as she's running from the past. I think she legitimately looks forward and she doesn't see anything for herself anymore. It feels like she exists purely out of momentum and spite.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:44 am 

Identity: Human
Curiosity compels me to ask: are there any other failed projects that you had a hand in, besides the Molcru one, which you can talk about today? I remember a while back a time when it seemed you had a finger in every pie being baked in the M:EM.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:08 pm 

Curiosity compels me to ask: are there any other failed projects that you had a hand in, besides the Molcru one, which you can talk about today? I remember a while back a time when it seemed you had a finger in every pie being baked in the M:EM.

Well, there are two that I've batted around with others that aren't quite failed, but just on simmer. Which, of course, might never come to fruition.

But most of the failed projects I've had have been all me. Usually because things grew too big or unwieldy and collapsed under their own weight. Which is why things are so slow in coming out with me. I tend to think in complexity and as a consequence, it can get out of hand quick. Makes me great at Chess, but as a writer...
It's a lot of energy to dedicate.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:23 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
If all is said and done, and you cut the BS, I think Alessa just wants to stop having to be 'on' every second of the day. The poor girl is in constant stress just keeping her vision narrow enough that she doesn't get lost in the millions of futures she experiences in any one moment.

I know this is tropey as heck, but I almost feel like Alessa needs meditation -- or, more accurately, whatever her version of meditation might be. Something that she can do which anchors her in the present, and lets her mind drop into neutral for a while. Kind of like her shuffling habit, almost, only more substantial.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:31 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

I know this is tropey as heck, but I almost feel like Alessa needs meditation -- or, more accurately, whatever her version of meditation might be. Something that she can do which anchors her in the present, and lets her mind drop into neutral for a while. Kind of like her shuffling habit, almost, only more substantial.

Essentially, she picked up a darksteel pendant for a blinder.
It helps blunt a lot of it, but it's not as good as shuffling and even that's only a bandage on it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:23 am 

What are your ships? I mean, beyond the already established couples, which romantic pairs of M:EM characters do you find interesting or you'd just want to read about? The answer doesn't have to involve your characters.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:34 am 

What are your ships? I mean, beyond the already established couples, which romantic pairs of M:EM characters do you find interesting or you'd just want to read about? The answer doesn't have to involve your characters.

Like Raven, I'm not much of a shipper.

I think Aamir/Kahr might be an interesting couple.
There's CLEARLY a story to be told about Ellia/Zhiran, but that's one of those 'has been' relationships.
I mentioned in direct messages that Saigo has a centauress love, but I've never talked about her in public, so that doesn't exactly count.

Maral needs her some love. That woman is THIRSTY, but she's so damn shy. So I ship her with whoever will probably treat her well.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:46 am 

Barinellos wrote:

Kahr seems somewhat popular. Buff guy's going to have a lucky break eventually.

Quote:
There's CLEARLY a story to be told about Ellia/Zhiran, but that's one of those 'has been' relationships.

Oh. Remembrances hints to some kind of previous closeness, but I didn't imagine that kind of closeness.

Quote:
I mentioned in direct messages that Saigo has a centauress love, but I've never talked about her in public, so that doesn't exactly count.

I think it still counts, even if one half of the pairing hasn't been revealed yet.

Quote:
Maral needs her some love. That woman is THIRSTY, but she's so damn shy.

Aww.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:47 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

They do have a lot in common. I can't help but picture Aamir trying, exacerbatedly, to get Kahr to put on a shirt, for propriety's sake.

Barinellos wrote:
Maral needs her some love. That woman is THIRSTY, but she's so damn shy. So I ship her with whoever will probably treat her well.

Yeah, the only person we've seen her with so far is Raleris. And he's probably a bit too old for relationships of a romantic nature.

Maybe if she goes back to Kokkinos, she could meet the giant Torbelloxes. He's a really nice guy, although he is stoned all the time. Also, he's approximately 120 feet tall, by my math. Granted, my math skills are quite bad, but still...

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:32 pm 

Identity: Male
Barinellos wrote:
Barinellos wrote:

Essentially, she picked up a darksteel pendant for a blinder.
It helps blunt a lot of it, but it's not as good as shuffling and even that's only a bandage on it.

So it helps because it can't ever change in any future. It provides a sense of constancy?
Would dedicating herself to sitting in one place for an extended period of time have a similar effect?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post