It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:38 pm 

Identity: Human
a short description

some musings on characterization

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:26 pm 

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:13 am 

So, I think everyone with a picture in their head has said their word.
So, time to recompile details?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:54 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

Agreed, although I am out of town for a couple of days, and also so sick that my bones hurt, so it might be a bit before I can get back to this. If anyone else wants to, of course, you are welcome, but if not, I'll certainly do it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:55 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

I think a majority of us are just busy with the holidays right this moment. It's worth moving forward with the character now that we've got a few visuals to work with, but I figured it would be a few days whilst people are celebrating with their families.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:38 pm 

I'll take a stab at it, though admittedly, I'm only going with the broadest sort of details.

So, the results are clearly a middle aged male that is a bit past their prime but still has a worn in physique that demonstrates a past familiar with hearty physical labor. He dresses in relatively simple garb, favoring lighter armor than anything heavy and still prefers some degree of protection in his outfits.
He's sporting a beard, though consensus on length runs the gamut of sizes. Similarly, the group seems evenly split to his hairline, though everyone seems to agree streaks of gray are present.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:39 am 

So, what would be the next step, then? Reasons for traveling? Goals? Personality? Spell repertoire?

I'm not used to designing individual characters like this, so I'm kind of at a loss.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:57 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
I'll take a stab at it, though admittedly, I'm only going with the broadest sort of details.

So, the results are clearly a middle aged male that is a bit past their prime but still has a worn in physique that demonstrates a past familiar with hearty physical labor. He dresses in relatively simple garb, favoring lighter armor than anything heavy and still prefers some degree of protection in his outfits.
He's sporting a beard, though consensus on length runs the gamut of sizes. Similarly, the group seems evenly split to his hairline, though everyone seems to agree streaks of gray are present.

Thanks, Barinellos! I think this is a good place to start (it gives us a pronoun, for one thing!) I think we can revisit some of these elements at the end of the design to solidify things, but I think this description is a great starting point.

If it's alright with you, I'll put a copy of this in the OP to keep things relatively simple.

So, what would be the next step, then? Reasons for traveling? Goals? Personality? Spell repertoire?

I'm not used to designing individual characters like this, so I'm kind of at a loss.

Yeah, a lot of the remaining elements can get a bit tricky, because there will be a degree of overlap. Character background and personality are probably going to be a bit intertwined, which also ties into plane of origin, and likely into the goals and reasons for travelling.

I would say that from here, we have two main options to pursue: Background/personality or spells and abilities. I'm in favor of background and personality, myself, but what are other people interested in working on? As I said earlier, I think we should pick one and focus.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:40 am 

Okay, in terms of motivation, I feel like an underlying drive is that he isn't trying to accomplish a set goal, but rather, the study is its own reward because he desires the challenge. He's not trying for perfection that would drive him to blue, he's trying to see what happens. Albeit carefully.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:48 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Okay, in terms of motivation, I feel like an underlying drive is that he isn't trying to accomplish a set goal, but rather, the study is its own reward because he desires the challenge. He's not trying for perfection that would drive him to blue, he's trying to see what happens. Albeit carefully.

Yeah, if we're focusing on primarily I think the experimentation should be high on his list of motivations. I think that can partially be a reason he travels, always trying to find new materials, and to mix and match minerals from different planes to see if they have different properties. Does lead on Dammerdall have the same alchemical properties as lead from Ikass? Only one way to find out!

Does anyone else have any thoughts on our dwarf's motivations?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:12 pm 

I further think that his studies isolated him, so there's a certain stubborn streak to why he travels. He's being the best damn alchemist he can be out of sheer pride and spite.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:22 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
I further think that his studies isolated him, so there's a certain stubborn streak to why he travels. He's being the best damn alchemist he can be out of sheer pride and spite.

I'm purely spit-balling here, but do we want to play around with gender roles here? Maybe on his home plane or at least in his culture, Alchemy is traditionally done by women, and he was trying to break into it? Or if not that, then maybe a class issue?

Just throwing out ideas.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:14 pm 

While I could actually see Alchemy being women's work if it's seen as related to kitchen (and therefore home) labor in society, I don't think we need that angle. I kind of like the idea of this sour and somewhat crusty old dwarf just plodding onward with a disreputable trade, not really sticking it to anything in specific, just sort of grumbling on by. Sort of like how, period wise, Tanners and millers didn't have the best reps. Tanners, in particular, since alchemy might share the smell, though the jealousy of the slightly better means that millers "enjoyed" might also fit.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:06 pm 

I still like the idea that the more socially accepted form is brewing and he has a modicum of background in that, but hates that its the "correct" choice of occupation rather than what he actually enjoys doing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:23 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
I still like the idea that the more socially accepted form is brewing and he has a modicum of background in that, but hates that its the "correct" choice of occupation rather than what he actually enjoys doing.

I imagine him at family gatherings, where some uncle puts his arm around our alchemist's shoulder and says, "remember back in '88, when you made that truly spectacular batch of ale? Now, why not do that again instead of your, whatever it is you call it now?" He slaps his nephew on the back and walks away shaking his head. "That was some great ale..."

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:53 pm 

Actually, might as well ask, what do we think about any extended family?
I'd kind of like to see a kind of weird relationship, with a few distant relatives and the closest person being his sister-in-law since his brother is dead.

Dunno, spitballing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:54 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Barinellos wrote:

I imagine him at family gatherings, where some uncle puts his arm around our alchemist's shoulder and says, "remember back in '88, when you made that truly spectacular batch of ale? Now, why not do that again instead of your, whatever it is you call it now?" He slaps his nephew on the back and walks away shaking his head. "That was some great ale..."

This I like, despite all my characters having more trauma than a retired NFL player.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:39 pm 

I'm going to be out of town with limited internet access for the next couple of days, but I thought of a little workshop thing that we could try to maybe flesh out the character's history and/or personality a bit.

How about, sometime over the next three days, people send me a PM with a few random "facts" about this character. When I get back, probably on Friday, I will post them in no particular order, and as a group, we'll decide on a few of them to be "true." I'm thinking that these should be just short little factoids about the character, limited to maybe one or two short sentences. Something like: "He once participated in a chariot race. He hated it." That kind of thing. No additional context is necessary. Please do try to take this at least a little seriously, as we are trying to build a real character here.

I'm hoping this will be a fun little way to fill up some character space.

What do you folks think?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:12 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Cool, I'll definitely try to come up with something interesting.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:01 pm 

I could hopefully get a few in as well.

my ego sig

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next