It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376, 377 ... 379  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:38 pm 

Identity: Human
So, I just heard OL's name on youtube. This guy actually said he wants to "push Orcish Librarian into your life", so that was cool.

The video, if you're interested, is about flavor text, and what makes for good flavor text, and even includes clips from an interview the video-maker had with a guy who writes names and flavor text for Wizards.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:48 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
I'll be out of town for the weekend. Headed to a convention.

In other news, as an update, texted the girl who gave me her number. Set up a date and kept talking to her. Turns out, we aren't a very good match, but she's more interested in seeing where things go than I am, but she also is too nice for me to just blow her off, so I tried to be a poor date and lay out that I'm not really what she's looking for.

...it did not work as well as I'd hoped. I think I can't really spare her feelings, but I'm really not what she's looking for, despite her thoughts to the contrary.
I did not think I'd be having this issue. Like... ever.
It's been stressful.

Not the least because I STILL DON'T KNOW HER NAME. A fact I told her outright when we started chatting and one she did not aim to rectify.

That sounds like "Run, don't walk, away" material to me. Like, my writer sense sees a yandere-type character out of this material. I mean, real life, so its probably not anything so drastic but I'd call the delusional disregard a little beyond normal since you pointed out the name thing.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:07 pm 

These kinds of situations where neither side is entirely right, but neither side is entirely wrong, are the absolute worst kinds of conflict for me. Political conversations are nearly always like that, too.

Meanwhile, I've found a solution to a story idea I've had for ... I don't remember how long. I don't even know what to search for to figure that out, though I'd recognize the relevant post if I saw it again. I think I'm perhaps halfway through that story, which puts me at the point where more research is required.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:17 pm 

Brentain wrote:
Meanwhile, I've found a solution to a story idea I've had for ... I don't remember how long. I don't even know what to search for to figure that out, though I'd recognize the relevant post if I saw it again. I think I'm perhaps halfway through that story, which puts me at the point where more research is required.

Well, if you need any help, feel free to shoot me a PM. There's no guarantee I'll remember or even know the post you are talking about, but I tend to have a weird memory for stuff like that. If it's even relevant, of course. It sounds like you don't need the post or anything, but if you wanted help finding it, just ask.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:33 am 

Another update on my most recent work:
Approaching the 5k word mark, making this the longest piece I've worked on in a while (albeit still not that long)

I was having some difficulty stringing some of the throughlines together, but in completing a section tonight, I ACCIDENTALLY did it. Which was amusing enough that I felt I had to share...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:18 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Barinellos wrote:
I was having some difficulty stringing some of the throughlines together, but in completing a section tonight, I ACCIDENTALLY did it. Which was amusing enough that I felt I had to share...

Wait, what? :D I hope you'll point out where it happened in the complete story, I'm hella curious.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:05 am 

Barinellos wrote:
Approaching the 5k word mark, making this the longest piece I've worked on in a while (albeit still not that long)

In contrast, my longest pieces so far have been for V.I.T.A.L, partly because it had a minimum word count. One of them might have exceeded 1.3k. That's part of why I'm calling my latest bits scenes instead of stories.

Barinellos wrote:

That sounds wonderful. I look forward to seeing the result.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:32 pm 

My longest work is 220,000 some words, but that's padded somewhat by Chapter titles...

:D

Anyway, longer works are easy. You just take whatever it is you do for shorter works, and then do it more.

But short works are great, too. Like several of the pieces that are up for vote through the end of today.

:huh:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:58 pm 

But short works are great, too. Like several of the pieces that are up for vote through the end of today.

:huh:

Sorry. I should have made time for that, but... I didn't. Part of it is that I'm trying in my off time to make time for more meatspace things, like cleaning up this pigsty I've been calling a house. Part of it is that I'm trying to catch up on a boatload of media I've bought over the last few years and haven't touched (books, games, movies, et cetera).

Part of it is that I find myself too tired after work to do anything other than watch an hour of anime and then head off to bed. It's been a busy few weeks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:51 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Not the least because I STILL DON'T KNOW HER NAME. A fact I told her outright when we started chatting and one she did not aim to rectify.

I mean, at this point, this is eerily like she's building to an end-of-season reveal, where she will finally tell you her name, and you'll realize that this has all been the first part of a supervillain origin story. :eek:

The video, if you're interested, is about flavor text, and what makes for good flavor text, and even includes clips from an interview the video-maker had with a guy who writes names and flavor text for Wizards.

Sam does really, really, REALLY great videos about basically all things Magic. I definitely recommend checking out his channel!

Barinellos wrote:

*fist bump*

Barinellos wrote:

Wait, what? :D I hope you'll point out where it happened in the complete story, I'm hella curious.

Yeah, same here!

My longest work is 220,000 some words, but that's padded somewhat by Chapter titles...

OK, I laughed. :)

Anyway, longer works are easy. You just take whatever it is you do for shorter works, and then do it more.

I always feel like half of my long stories are just short stories where I didn't have the good sense to stop.

Got in right under the wire!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:23 pm 

Hello everybody! So, I've realized that I've been rather scarce of late. I also realized that my post count was at 9999 -- this should be #10k. So I figured at that landmark, since I didn't have a story ready, I should at least provide some sort of explanation. So, what's been keeping me?

Well, since I was really on the radar, I finally finished the novel I'd been working on! I announced that quite loudly, so you probably already knew this (and some of you have even already read it!). Since then I've been working and moving towards publication through Amazon's self-publish service: getting feedback from early readers, fixing typos, and locating a professional editor and an artist to do the cover. But that's not why I've been scarce.

I've also found that M:tG has become ever more marginal for me. Dominaria was great, but Core 19 and this year's commander were things I would largely mentally check out of, and I think we all know my opinion on Ravnica, and what that probably means for my regard for going to Ravnica for an entire freaking year in the modern era of half-year and now seasonal visitations. In the meantime, I've ended up picking up the game Force of Will, and for at-home play it's been a lot more friendly than any M:tG other than EDH, and dramatically less costly as well. I could probably rebuild my favorite FoW deck(s) several times over for what it would cost me to rebuild my favorite EDH deck. This isn't the time or place for me to make a detailed analysis of FoW as both a game and a Vorthos property, especially because that's not the main reason for my radio silence of late.

A second-to-main reason is that I've been planning a huge road trip, to take place in the second half of this month. My wife and I will be driving to Salem, Mass. by way of Seattle and Chicago, then back by way of Houston, Tx. I could share the planned route should anyone want to potentially meet up as we go along our way. That's actually consumed a lot of my creative effort.

But what's really been taking the cycles I would normally have dedicated to M:EM releases is... another novel. For years now, I've always tried to have something in progress, and typically unless the month was November, it would languish to working in short, intense bursts. I'd gain steam working on 'easy' M:EM short stories, make some progress, burn out, and repeat. But ever since I finished my previous effort and started this one in earnest, my pattern has been somewhat different. I've been chugging along steadily, probably getting a little north of 1000 words a day. Not NaNoWriMo pace, but steady and fairly quick. As of today, I'm 84k words in. This represents being mostly through the 8th chapter of the outline... which projects the story running 29 chapters. So I guess that's good news, but the M:EM stories I had planned have been languishing on the back burner. Hopefully, I'll be able to energize outside of my normal writing hours in order to push through and release one before I go on my big road trip, but whether I do or not, I sort of wanted to let everyone know that I'm still around, still reading, and can be reached with an on-thread shoutout or a PM, I'm just kind of lame about commenting when I should. I consider you all my friends here, and I don't want to drop off the radar just because I've been working more on projects unrelated to this place than ones that are.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:40 pm 

Sorry. I should have made time for that, but... I didn't. Part of it is that I'm trying in my off time to make time for more meatspace things, like cleaning up this pigsty I've been calling a house. Part of it is that I'm trying to catch up on a boatload of media I've bought over the last few years and haven't touched (books, games, movies, et cetera).

Part of it is that I find myself too tired after work to do anything other than watch an hour of anime and then head off to bed. It's been a busy few weeks.

Don't worry about it, buddy. I just wanted to remind everyone that the voting week of September was still going.

OK, I laughed. :)

Honesty is important...

I always feel like half of my long stories are just short stories where I didn't have the good sense to stop.

I like half of my short stories to be half as short as the long ones, and I like less than half of my long stories to be half as short as I like.

Bilbo said it better...

Got in right under the wire!

Thanks, Orcish!

Hello everybody! So, I've realized that I've been rather scarce of late. I also realized that my post count was at 9999 -- this should be #10k.

Hi! And congrats on breaking into the five digits! We were trading blows for a while there, you and I, but you pulled away and never looked back!

Well, since I was really on the radar, I finally finished the novel I'd been working on! I announced that quite loudly, so you probably already knew this (and some of you have even already read it!). Since then I've been working and moving towards publication through Amazon's self-publish service: getting feedback from early readers, fixing typos, and locating a professional editor and an artist to do the cover. But that's not why I've been scarce.

I really wanted to get to that this summer, but if just never happened. Sorry about that. I'm hoping I'll have some time this semester, but I'm not sure. I've graded 595 papers so far this semester and it doesn't look to be slowing down any time soon. Still, I'm looking forward to it!

I've also found that M:tG has become ever more marginal for me. Dominaria was great, but Core 19 and this year's commander were things I would largely mentally check out of, and I think we all know my opinion on Ravnica, and what that probably means for my regard for going to Ravnica for an entire freaking year in the modern era of half-year and now seasonal visitations.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I've basically had to remove myself from canon Magic because, quite frankly, I just don't enjoy it anymore.

But what's really been taking the cycles I would normally have dedicated to M:EM releases is... another novel. For years now, I've always tried to have something in progress, and typically unless the month was November, it would languish to working in short, intense bursts. I'd gain steam working on 'easy' M:EM short stories, make some progress, burn out, and repeat. But ever since I finished my previous effort and started this one in earnest, my pattern has been somewhat different. I've been chugging along steadily, probably getting a little north of 1000 words a day. Not NaNoWriMo pace, but steady and fairly quick. As of today, I'm 84k words in. This represents being mostly through the 8th chapter of the outline... which projects the story running 29 chapters. So I guess that's good news, but the M:EM stories I had planned have been languishing on the back burner. Hopefully, I'll be able to energize outside of my normal writing hours in order to push through and release one before I go on my big road trip, but whether I do or not, I sort of wanted to let everyone know that I'm still around, still reading, and can be reached with an on-thread shoutout or a PM, I'm just kind of lame about commenting when I should. I consider you all my friends here, and I don't want to drop off the radar just because I've been working more on projects unrelated to this place than ones that are.

Very cool! I'm glad your new project is going well, and I'm glad to know you're still around.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:48 pm 

Yeah, I'm the same way. I've basically had to remove myself from canon Magic because, quite frankly, I just don't enjoy it anymore.

That happened to me a few years back, I think before Tarkir block even. I hope that doesn't mean you'll wander off; I know I'm only around infrequently anymore but I just love all you guys too much to go even when I haven't been watching Magic for ages now.

Every now and again I think that maybe I should look up what I've been missing, like if they've added some new race in the time since I left Magic, but I never get up the gumption to check it out. Especially when it always seems I'm a little behind on the lore of Legend of the Five Rings, which I decided to get into. It's really cheesy and I'll probably leave it eventually because it's kind of shallow (in the same way the Disney movie Mulan is shallow), but for now I'm indulging myself.

Point being, I know this place wouldn't be the same without you, and I'm also sorry I'm not around more to keep giving all of you some more feedback and another head to talk to.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:07 pm 

That happened to me a few years back, I think before Tarkir block even. I hope that doesn't mean you'll wander off; I know I'm only around infrequently anymore but I just love all you guys too much to go even when I haven't been watching Magic for ages now.

Every now and again I think that maybe I should look up what I've been missing, like if they've added some new race in the time since I left Magic, but I never get up the gumption to check it out. Especially when it always seems I'm a little behind on the lore of Legend of the Five Rings, which I decided to get into. It's really cheesy and I'll probably leave it eventually because it's kind of shallow (in the same way the Disney movie Mulan is shallow), but for now I'm indulging myself.

Point being, I know this place wouldn't be the same without you, and I'm also sorry I'm not around more to keep giving all of you some more feedback and another head to talk to.

I have no plans on going anywhere. It's just canon I'm pretty well done with. I'm not going to get into all the reasons why, but it basically boils down to my disagreeing with virtually every decision Wizards makes, especially as it relates to Creative. I still view the M:EM as treating both the storyline and the readers with respect, which in my opinion puts us head and shoulders above Wizards.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:38 pm 

Identity: Male
The number of people we keep in the orbit of Magic after they've lapsed, WOTC should pay our bills. I would not spend nearly as much time with MT:G as I do if I wasn't attached to the community here.

On a related, but perhaps contradictory note, anybody else play in the prerelease?
I played in a 2-headed giant tournament and my team came 3rd. I played a Dimir deck and made sure to slander my opponent every time I cast Disinformation Campaign. Did you know that my FLGS owner habitually lies about architecture? True fact.
Other than that my deck drew tons of cards, cast a lot of removal and tried to get an evasive threat to stick.
I splashed for Ral, Izzet Viceroy, Beacon Bolt and Charnel Troll, neither of which saw much action. I only drew the troll once and had it die next turn to a forgotten upkeep trigger, and Ral either stayed in my hand or ate discard spells the whole tourney.
My partner was a returning M:TG'er who hadn't played in quite a while. Luckily our pool contained double Deafening Clarion, double Justice Strike, double Response // Resurgence and one Integrity // Intervention (it's possible I reversed the number on the last two) and a Collar THe Perp for good measure.
The only game we lost was to a defenders + spells deck and it's discard/fatties partner. I take that as an indicator the format is diverse.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:30 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
razorborne wrote:
hey so I am currently processing A Thing with a couple of my colleagues and I can't really discuss it in public 'cause there is no way that me getting publicly involved will help the situation, and I don't want to reach out to the folks who are involved 'cause again, unlikely to help, but I need to vent somewhere and this community is a) full of wonderful, supportive people and b) almost completely disconnected from my YouTube work, so hopefully y'all don't mind me dumping this here. feel free to chime in with thoughts as well, but I just need to put it somewhere.

Spoiler

:duel:
update on this in case anyone was wondering:

Spoiler

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:15 am 

In fairness, I can think of one writer, whom upon more than one occasion, this could quite truthfully be said of.
... And that would have been the title of chapter one of his book.

(Steven Brust btw, one of my possibly all time favorite writers)

Okay, so, further update, I broke the 5k barrier and giving you all updates is keeping me focused, so just deal with it.
Beyond that, I regret to inform you all that this story will prominently feature a feature which many have expressed consternation with. A framing device that necessitates a flashback. But further... there are flashbacks within the flashbacks.
#sorrynotsorry.

And I'm experimenting somewhat with style. Both in the figurative and literal sense. I need to figure out if this works or if it would be nauseating to read. Stylistically, it's a thematic choice. It's a direct visual metaphor of asynchronous speech.

Lastly, I've hit a small snag. I need a female name cast in a celtic tone. If anybody wants to toss any suggestions, there's a strong chance it'll be used.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:23 am 

I've always liked the name "Cerridwyn" (and its variants, such as Ceridwen)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:15 am 

Barinellos wrote:

In fairness, I can think of one writer, whom upon more than one occasion, this could quite truthfully be said of.
... And that would have been the title of chapter one of his book.

(Steven Brust btw, one of my possibly all time favorite writers)

Okay, so, further update, I broke the 5k barrier and giving you all updates is keeping me focused, so just deal with it.
Beyond that, I regret to inform you all that this story will prominently feature a feature which many have expressed consternation with. A framing device that necessitates a flashback. But further... there are flashbacks within the flashbacks.
#sorrynotsorry.

And I'm experimenting somewhat with style. Both in the figurative and literal sense. I need to figure out if this works or if it would be nauseating to read. Stylistically, it's a thematic choice. It's a direct visual metaphor of asynchronous speech.

Lastly, I've hit a small snag. I need a female name cast in a celtic tone. If anybody wants to toss any suggestions, there's a strong chance it'll be used.

Ironically or coincidentally, I am also just over 5k words on a piece that has some heavy Celtic influences. It's shaping up to be a long one, so it'll be a while before it's ready, but I'm excited about it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:58 am 

Barinellos wrote:

I threw up for the fourth time this morning just before hitting this post, so I might not be the best judge, but it's not exactly easy to read.

Barinellos wrote:

Behind the Name suggest Boudicca, Feidlimid, or Luigsech.

TPmanW wrote:
On a related, but perhaps contradictory note, anybody else play in the prerelease?

Not this one, but I tend to hit one every year or two. Outside of that, my MtG is currently limited to a game with the kidlets every few months. I've been supplementing with PvZ Heroes, which has the virtue of being playable on my phone in about ten minutes or less, and zero required payments.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376, 377 ... 379  Next