It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 373, 374, 375, 376, 377  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:10 am 

Identity: Human
I've been walking down memory lane, revisiting some fanfiction stories from 10+years ago (mostly from the Pokémon fandom), and... yeesh. Boy, were my standards low back then.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:16 am 

I've been walking down memory lane, revisiting some fanfiction stories from 10+years ago (mostly from the Pokémon fandom), and... yeesh. Boy, were my standards low back then.

Sure, well, I mean, you hadn't yet met the genius of RavenoftheBlack, so by comparison...

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:38 pm 

So, funny story, I've accidentally bookended another story I've been working on.
I really need to finish the first story I've worked on, but I just managed to compete the Antony story first.
Now I'm very nearly done with yet another, but the first is still sitting in drafts needing about 600 more words.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:18 pm 

@Aaarrrgh -- thank you for the very kind words!

Sure, well, I mean, you hadn't yet met the genius of RavenoftheBlack, so by comparison...

We all have to look back painfully on the pre-Raven periods in our lives.

Well, except for the Raven himself, I suppose!

Also, it occurs to me (very) belatedly that I never shared any of my cosplay pics here. Anyway, here's me doing my best Barrin, Master Wizard at GP Seattle, and me doing Eron the Relentless (who also forgot to shave, d'oh!) from GPLV:

Attachment:
File comment: barrin
barrin2_small.jpg
barrin2_small.jpg [ 78.33 KiB | Viewed 799 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: eron
eron_small.jpg
eron_small.jpg [ 71.92 KiB | Viewed 799 times ]

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:46 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Also, it occurs to me (very) belatedly that I never shared any of my cosplay pics here. Anyway, here's me doing my best Barrin, Master Wizard at GP Seattle, and me doing Eron the Relentless (who also forgot to shave, d'oh!) from GPLV

That's so cool!

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:30 pm 

Identity: Male
That's some pretty awesome cosplay. I especially like the Barin cosplay. Part of that might just be that I can see more of it though.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:25 am 

I find it odd to see OL both without the longer beard from the first image and without a Hawaiian shirt on.

Mind you, I've only actually met him in person the once, but those are some defining characteristics.

Unrelatedly, ugh. I seem to have lost my rhythm or whatever you call it and I haven't been reading lately. I feel like I need a vacation.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:53 pm 

We all have to look back painfully on the pre-Raven periods in our lives.

Well, except for the Raven himself, I suppose!

The Raven Revolution so thoroughly changed my life that I honestly don't remember a thing from before it...

:paranoid:

Also, it occurs to me (very) belatedly that I never shared any of my cosplay pics here. Anyway, here's me doing my best Barrin, Master Wizard at GP Seattle, and me doing Eron the Relentless (who also forgot to shave, d'oh!) from GPLV:

Barrin and Eron never looked so good!

I wonder which rhyming pair Orcish will cosplay next? Jareth and Marath? Glissa and Nissa? Baral and Maral

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:50 pm 

I did not think Barrin and Eron rhymed. Or Jareth and Marath. Those got mismatched vowels in their ending syllables.

I went to a con yesterday. Pretty small. At least my media consumption has led me to believe that it is on the smaller side. Maybe tiny cons outnumber the large?
There were:
  • 4 vendor tables (2 guys shared one. At least I think the 2nd guy was selling stuff. It was obviously some of these guys' first time)
  • 1 painting table that was actually like 4 tables together, and also I guess he sold stuff too. At a discount even!
  • 2 VR setups from the local VR place.
  • A board game nook with a bajillion games.
  • ~6 RPGing tables.
  • A table full of swords from the guys who apparently offer sword lessons.
  • A pair of tables with 2 guys who had a complicated looking board game.
I got to try VR for the first time and it was pretty cool. I was a little frustrated that I jumped right in and had to choose between surviving a time or figuring out the controls and risking death. Super Hot VR feels very much like a port.
I played 5e D&D for the first time. It was a rather awkward setup with a 1st time DM who maybe had social anxiety issues. It was maybe not the best venue for him. Most of the other players had gamed together before and they kind of got a way with the game, subverting the DM's intent, goofing it up and really dragging things out. The DM came around to it (which was really the best choice once things started heading that way) but was clearly out of his wheelhouse.
The whole con was kind of disorganized. It was hard to tell if the sword-fighting guys were just there to give demonstrations and hand out fliers, or whether they'd do lessons on the spot, and if/what you had to pay. Similar deal with some of the other tables. I also came in after things had already peaked so that didn't help matters.
It was an alright experience, and I'm looking forward to seeing how much they've upped their game next year.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:37 am 

He wishes he were scottish enough to pull that off.

TPmanW wrote:
I went to a con yesterday. Pretty small. At least my media consumption has led me to believe that it is on the smaller side. Maybe tiny cons outnumber the large?
There were:
  • 4 vendor tables (2 guys shared one. At least I think the 2nd guy was selling stuff. It was obviously some of these guys' first time)
  • 1 painting table that was actually like 4 tables together, and also I guess he sold stuff too. At a discount even!
  • ~6 RPGing tables.

I played 5e D&D for the first time. It was a rather awkward setup with a 1st time DM who maybe had social anxiety issues. It was maybe not the best venue for him. Most of the other players had gamed together before and they kind of got a way with the game, subverting the DM's intent, goofing it up and really dragging things out. The DM came around to it (which was really the best choice once things started heading that way) but was clearly out of his wheelhouse.
The whole con was kind of disorganized. It was hard to tell if the sword-fighting guys were just there to give demonstrations and hand out fliers, or whether they'd do lessons on the spot, and if/what you had to pay. Similar deal with some of the other tables. I also came in after things had already peaked so that didn't help matters.
It was an alright experience, and I'm looking forward to seeing how much they've upped their game next year.

yeah, that sounds tiiiiny.
What kind of crowd did it look like turned out for it?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:43 am 

I also went to a small con last week (not the same one). They did have a few events, tournaments, and organized games, but I think most people (me included) just went there to play the loaner board games. They also had a geek flea market, and I picked up Forbidden Island and The Big Book of Madness, two really cool co-op games.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:51 am 

That's so cool!

Thank you!

TPmanW wrote:
That's some pretty awesome cosplay. I especially like the Barin cosplay. Part of that might just be that I can see more of it though.

Thank you!

And, I mean, Eron's pretty one-note from the shoulders down. :sweat: There's no real reference for him other than the one card, which only shows the close-up portrait, so I kept it pretty simple for the rest of the outfit -- just lots of blue w/gold trim.

I find it odd to see OL both without the longer beard from the first image and without a Hawaiian shirt on.

Mind you, I've only actually met him in person the once, but those are some defining characteristics.

Hah, it's funny, that Barrin beard represented, like, 6 months of beard-growing effort, and, as soon as I got back from the GP, I shaved that nasty thing off, and felt like a brand new man.

The aloha shirts, on the other hand, are still totally my thing. :D

Unrelatedly, ugh. I seem to have lost my rhythm or whatever you call it and I haven't been reading lately. I feel like I need a vacation.

Hope you feel better soon! Sending all the good thoughts! :)

The Raven Revolution so thoroughly changed my life that I honestly don't remember a thing from before it...

Dark times, those... Dark times...

Barrin and Eron never looked so good!

I wonder which rhyming pair Orcish will cosplay next? Jareth and Marath? Glissa and Nissa? Baral and Maral…

Well, it does not rhyme, but I figure you of all people will "appreciate" my current project: Jace, the Play Caller :)

Attachment:
File comment: jace1
qbjace.jpg
qbjace.jpg [ 118.88 KiB | Viewed 637 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: jace2
qbjace2.jpg
qbjace2.jpg [ 94.34 KiB | Viewed 637 times ]

Barinellos wrote:

I mean, is ANYONE Scottish enough to pull it off? :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:54 am 

Quote:
Jace, the Play Caller

You just won. Everything.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:45 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
What the... :D

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:57 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

TPmanW wrote:
There were:
  • ~6 RPGing tables.

yeah, that sounds tiiiiny.
What kind of crowd did it look like turned out for it?

Not a huge crowd. I showed up a little after 3pm and the peak crowd I saw was maybe a little over 3 dozen people.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:57 am 

What the... :D

Aaarrrgh wrote:
Quote:
Jace, the Play Caller

You just won. Everything.

I mean, given that Jace is a Lion, I'd say he's more like 3-4. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:17 pm 

Be careful what you wish for...

Hey, everybody! So, we need to talk for a minute. Now, nobody panic (or celebrate, as the case may be). I'm not going anywhere or anything like that. But I am reminded, from time to time, that the old saying is very true: Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.

Most of you know that I spent six long years of my life as an adjunct instructor, and as with most things in life, there are positives and negatives to that. The positive was that I had a great deal of free time, which allowed me to find you fine folks and create some works of fiction that I'm pretty proud of. The negative is that adjunct pay is below horrible. I would not have been able to survive without another job and the generous help of family. Even so, I could not afford to advance in my life in any real way, and I spent a lot of my time wishing for that full-time job.

Last year, I finally got it, and while I'm still not making "good" money, I'm making enough to live and make house payments, and all things considered, I'm pretty happy. It really bums me out that the trade-off there is that I have vastly less time to spend around - and write for - NGA. Gone are the days when I could write a 10,000 word short story in a day or two and then turn around and write another one, all while working on a novel and dropping a poem or two. I miss those days, but that's the sacrifice I have to make to have a life.

The other regrettable thing is that my scaling down of activities here coincided with the same from a lot of other people. Keeper left us. Yxoque's been gone about the same amount of time. Arcades took off. Jedi left. Ruwin took a vacation. The list goes on and on. And things grew quiet around here. To borrow a cliché, a little too quiet. Stuff was still going on, which is great, but I was getting really worried about the M:EM in general. And I found myself wishing that people would start posting stuff again.

Well, be careful what you wish for... :D

The last week or so, people have exploded with content around here. It does my heart good. Unfortunately, it's coming (for me personally) at about the worst possible time. This is probably the second-busiest span of the semester, just below finals week. Add to that the fact that I'm on the verge of getting sick (I think I'm fighting it off) and you wind up with an unfortunate span of days.

All of this is my long-winded way of saying to all of you who have posted stuff (Brentain, Huey, Barinellos, and Orcish), as well as those who have PMed me something to take a look at, I am sorry that I have not gotten to it yet. And while it breaks my heart to say it, I don't know when I'll be able to. I am hoping that I'll be able to get to at least some of it this weekend, but I can't make that promise. I'll try.

I just wanted all of you to know that. I'm not ignoring any of you; I'm just working 10-13 hours a day. And by the time I get home, I just want to eat something, relax, and then sleep. I will get to it, though.

In the meantime, keep up the good work, everyone!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:29 pm 

All of this is my long-winded way of saying to all of you who have posted stuff (Brentain, Huey, Barinellos, and Orcish), as well as those who have PMed me something to take a look at, I am sorry that I have not gotten to it yet. And while it breaks my heart to say it, I don't know when I'll be able to. I am hoping that I'll be able to get to at least some of it this weekend, but I can't make that promise. I'll try.

I just wanted all of you to know that. I'm not ignoring any of you; I'm just working 10-13 hours a day. And by the time I get home, I just want to eat something, relax, and then sleep. I will get to it, though.

In the meantime, keep up the good work, everyone!

We (for the most part) ask nothing of you other than dumb puns.

We learn to ask you for that purely because we know we can't stop you from making them.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:37 pm 

I just wanted all of you to know that. I'm not ignoring any of you; I'm just working 10-13 hours a day. And by the time I get home, I just want to eat something, relax, and then sleep.

Amen.

Barinellos wrote:
We (for the most part) ask nothing of you other than dumb puns.

We learn to ask you for that purely because we know we can't stop you from making them.

Hey! Some of us like the dumb puns.

Some of us even dabble in those black arts. We hope it warms your black hearts.

Wait, that wasn't a pun, it was a rhyme... Well, it's Raven's influence regardless. I did already quote him, after all.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:16 pm 

I'm just working 10-13 hours a day. And by the time I get home, I just want to eat something, relax, and then sleep. I will get to it, though.

Believe me, I know that feeling... :sweat:

Anyway, Raven, no worries about anything! All I hope is that you fend off whatever the encroaching crudiness is!

Sending you much love, OK?

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 373, 374, 375, 376, 377  Next