It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:34 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Barinellos wrote:
Have you been following the published comic?
It's only at volume two at the moment.

No, I saw a few pages and I must say the graphic style works well with the initial tone, but if there's no added content I have little interest in having it. There's also the matter of not living in the US, and that in the last months my comic consumption has been abysmal.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:56 pm 

Identity: Human
I've been considering starting up that project I think I talked about once before -- it would have been years ago by now -- of a planar dossier randomizer. Mostly to give myself something that I can do that I'd actually feel like I accomplished something, but also because it might hopefully get me a bit more involved here, because I notice how much better I feel whenever I spend my time here instead of elsewhere.

I'm not sure how exactly I want to go about it, either. I had been talking to a friend about the original idea I had, and I had the thought that a good start might be to make a handful of some really simple black-and-white style worlds, like "this plane has no oceans," or "this plane is a hellscape," so that I can break down the dossiers into distinct chunks for the randomizer. I could cut out some work by breaking down M:EM dossiers instead, though... at least as a proof-of-concept.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 pm 

Off the top of my head, I'd say a "basic" plane dossier (the kind you'd want to random gen) consists of up to 3 parts

The "Pitch" is universal -- the couple-word summary of what the plane's basic audience is.
This is a far east period/wuxia plane
This is a gothic horror plane
This is an ancient egyptian plane

The "Hook" is likely -- what makes this plane unique from others with the same pitch at all times. Some have it, some don't. Those that don't probably distinct themselves in the detail while being kind of 'kitchen sink'.
Scarce resources cause this plane to be divided between feuding warlords
(No strong "hook")
Civilization on this plane is owned by Nicol Bolas

The "Turn" is what dictates the motion of the plane, assuming it's not totally inherent. Most canon planes have one, but a LOT of M:EM planes, designed more as sandboxes than as set pieces for a single big story, don't.
The Extinct dragons of the plane will be resurrected via time travel to dominate the world.
The absence of the 'holy' force has caused the monsters to run amok.
(technically "Bolas is returning" but it's kinda implied from the outset)

After that, you get details -- like what races exist, and potentially what factions they fall into (including whether or not factions are on race lines), which can be fairly heavily randomized.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:10 pm 

I want to say, that I fell in love with the comics duo of Simon Spurrier & Jeff Stokely back when I first read The Spire, and later I loved their Six-Gun Gorilla comics, but I just read Godshaper today, and I think maybe it's mostly Simon Spurrier I love. I'm guessing he's a bit of a new hotness right now considering the sale I got Godshaper in was billed as "Boom! Studios sale featuring Simon Spurrier," but damn if his style isn't right up my alley. I know a lot of people my age and/or with my interests tend to want more of everything, want everything explained and explored, want all the minutiae of lore painstakingly laid out, but I've learned what road that leads down (and I've never even seen most of the Star Wars movies...). Spurrier's way of setting up worlds organically is top-notch, and the way he sets up mysteries in his worlds and explores just enough of them for the purposes of the stories he tells is tremendously satisfying, in all the same ways that shows like Haibane Renmei is (which comes to mind because I decided to rewatch that show).

--------

Off the top of my head, I'd say a "basic" plane dossier (the kind you'd want to random gen) consists of up to 3 parts

The "Pitch" is universal -- the couple-word summary of what the plane's basic audience is.

The "Hook" is likely -- what makes this plane unique from others with the same pitch at all times.

The "Turn" is what dictates the motion of the plane, assuming it's not totally inherent.

Thanks for the brainstorming here; this is a good start that I've been thinking about the last two days.

I think the ideal version of what I would like out of this idea/project would take an A.I., but I think it could be possible if I spent enough time writing out a ton of modular entries. What I would ultimately like is a cascading effect on the smaller details of a plane -- like the races and factions you mention -- based on the three core principles of the plane that you mention: the Pitch, Hook, and Turn. I have a very rough idea how I could accomplish that within the random generator we use for story prompts, but it would take a lot of work to get there, and more importantly I need to figure out how to take that idea and break it down into its simplest parts in order to build it up slowly.

For the record, I'll lay out the rough idea as best I can:
  • Randomly select from a list of Pitches
  • The selected Pitch then has a bank of concepts associated with it
  • as an example, the Pitch of "Ancient Egyptian plane" would come with concepts of Pyramids, Sun Worship, Hieroglyphics, etc.
  • These concepts would then have further, smaller words that can make their way into descriptions of the affected details
  • For example, "The [insert race] of [insert region] [do/do not] worship the sun" could be a randomized line based on the "Ancient Egyptian Plane" Pitch, but even the "worship the sun" part of that line could be replaced with other concepts from the "Ancient Egyptian Plane" Pitch
  • i.e. that same line could be "The [insert race] of [insert region] [do/do not] build pyramids" or "mummify their dead" or other Ancient Egyptian ideas
  • Theoretically, in just the same way we learned how to make rather complicated story prompts, I could eventually expand these simple sentence descriptors into full randomized paragraphs about some aspect of a culture, eventually combining it all into a single long randomized dossier

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:58 pm 

Good news, everyone! I'm going to need to replace both my siding AND my shingles!

Oh, wait. That's not good news at all...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:47 pm 

Good news, everyone! I'm going to need to replace both my siding AND my shingles!

Oof. Are you okay, at least? What happened? I'm guessing a big storm came through your area?

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:08 pm 

Oof. Are you okay, at least? What happened? I'm guessing a big storm came through your area?

Yeah, I'm fine. And luckily, my windows were all alright, but the siding is all torn up. From the ground, the roof looked okay, but unfortunately, in the words of the adjustor, "It's bad. It's really bad."

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:12 pm 

Yeah, I'm fine. And luckily, my windows were all alright, but the siding is all torn up. From the ground, the roof looked okay, but unfortunately, in the words of the adjustor, "It's bad. It's really bad."

That doesn't sound promising. How is the weather where you live? I have no idea how roofing works, so I don't know if that's something you can just plan to do in a day, or have to wait for the weather to clear, or what.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:30 pm 

Roofing is not a thing you can knock out quickly and it's a terrible time of year for it besides.
Unless you hire someone else for it, then it's not so bad. For you, at least.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:47 am 

I notice you mentioned an adjustor. Does that mean you have insurance helping you with this? I certainly hope so, for your sake. Wish I could be of any kind of help, but I'm afraid I'm currently on the wrong continent (also, broke). But I hope you'll be able to get this dealt with quickly and well. And hey, it could increase the property value!

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:20 am 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
I notice you mentioned an adjustor. Does that mean you have insurance helping you with this? I certainly hope so, for your sake. Wish I could be of any kind of help, but I'm afraid I'm currently on the wrong continent (also, broke). But I hope you'll be able to get this dealt with quickly and well. And hey, it could increase the property value!

Yes, I have insurance, so the process will be mostly paid for. It's primarily just a nuisance, but it's just something that homeowners have to deal with at times.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:17 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
musing on a problem and figured I'd solicit some advice:

basically, I'm working on a big wrap-up to the Ossia story where Jestopher returns home and does a bunch of stuff. I have a couple scenes in it, but I wound up writing the last one first because it was the most resonant for me and I'm debating whether I should just post it as its own stand-alone story and leave the earlier scenes just implied. it wouldn't take much reworking, but it also would mean abandoning those lines 'cause I know if I do that I'm not coming back to fill in those blanks later. so I guess the question is do I post the short version that I've got, which addresses mostly just the final steps of the story but contains most of the relevant information, or do I take the time to polish off the previous sections in order to better set that part up?

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:51 pm 

razorborne wrote:
musing on a problem and figured I'd solicit some advice:

basically, I'm working on a big wrap-up to the Ossia story where Jestopher returns home and does a bunch of stuff. I have a couple scenes in it, but I wound up writing the last one first because it was the most resonant for me and I'm debating whether I should just post it as its own stand-alone story and leave the earlier scenes just implied. it wouldn't take much reworking, but it also would mean abandoning those lines 'cause I know if I do that I'm not coming back to fill in those blanks later. so I guess the question is do I post the short version that I've got, which addresses mostly just the final steps of the story but contains most of the relevant information, or do I take the time to polish off the previous sections in order to better set that part up?

Yeah, I don't really have a good answer for you. If it's mostly that you would just like to be done with the project, then I say go ahead and finish it off. But if you feel like you really want to tell the complete story, then wait. I know that's nothing particularly useful, but I don't know what else to tell you. There's no reason you can't go back and fill in the blanks later if you choose to, but you say you wouldn't, so to me, it comes down to finish the project now or don't.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:56 pm 

I think the question for you is this:

Is it the story of the set, or the set of the story?

If it's the story that belongs to the set, I think you want to provide what's necessary for the wrap-up, probably just going as is. If the set belongs to the story, though, you want to tell the full story and not a stripped-down version.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:15 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I think the question for you is this:

Is it the story of the set, or the set of the story?

If it's the story that belongs to the set, I think you want to provide what's necessary for the wrap-up, probably just going as is. If the set belongs to the story, though, you want to tell the full story and not a stripped-down version.

that's a good point. I think I want to do it justice: I've largely abandoned the set but I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to the people yet. I've hit some inspiration, and I think I can finish the rest of it, but it's just something that's been in my head for so long that it's hard to pull it out and put it onto an actual page, ya know? this is the capstone on a project I've been working on for five years now, so getting it right is super intimidating.

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:33 pm 

I'm in agreement with Raven and Tevish on this one: if you think the story is worth telling, and you want it to be a big endcap, I'd say keep working on it until you've got it where you really want it; but if you don't think you'll finish it, or if you are "finishing" the story in another way, then post what you have right now.

It sounds like you've already decided what you really want to do with it, but I thought I'd add my voice since you asked us as a collective.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:37 pm 

A delayed ending is eventually good, but a rushed ending is forever bad. And you can't have a Karakas without a Cenn's Tactician and a Leyline of Singularity. Given how important this is to you and how much time you've spent on it, you should finish it off all proper like instead of rushing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:43 pm 

For various reasons, I just re-watched Madoka Magica. Actually, I re-watched the dub on Crunchyroll, because it was available -- I clearly remember watching the dub the first time around, but I am almost positive I didn't use a legal site back then.

Anyway, I know not everyone here is familiar with it, but there were some... interesting things I wanted to mention.

put in spoiler block because the post is huge

In other news, after spending some time installing and troubleshooting audio drivers and restarting my computer several times, I think my computer (a laptop) has some hardware failure(s) and it might be time for me to look into buying a new one. Since I'm living in my own place now (instead of with my parents when I bought this one... I think 8+ years ago?), I'm considering trying my hand at building a desktop and doing some Fung Shui with this place instead of another laptop.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:48 pm 

In other news, after spending some time installing and troubleshooting audio drivers and restarting my computer several times, I think my computer (a laptop) has some hardware failure(s) and it might be time for me to look into buying a new one. Since I'm living in my own place now (instead of with my parents when I bought this one... I think 8+ years ago?), I'm considering trying my hand at building a desktop and doing some Fung Shui with this place instead of another laptop.

Getting a new computer is always fun. Having to get a new computer, less so. So hopefully you can have some fun with the process and get something that you're happy with.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:09 pm 

I always just pay a little extra for a nice mid-range gaming laptop. Generally costs around ~$1000 once I've done research and each one has lasted 4+ years so far. And it's been more than half a decade since I haven't been able to play a game I want on Steam. I understand the appeal of a desktop for people who are really good at m+k though; if I wasn't controller4life I would definitely consider building one.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396  Next