It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408 ... 419  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:52 am 

I am legitimately sad that a cat on the internet passed away.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 pm 

Think about how smart the average person is.

Now think about what that would mean if intelligence across the population followed a bell curve.

Now think about how that curve is probably exponential on the wrong end instead.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:15 pm 

Top 5 Ways to tell if I’ve been reading the news: Number 4 will totally surprise you!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:42 pm 

Identity: Human
I'm personally torn on CGDCT. Mostly because I think it gets called inappropriately. Like, Haibane Renmei shouldn't be called a CGDCT show by the metrics of expectation (it's more of a drama) even though it is kind of a Slice of Life show and features a mostly female cast that spends a decent amount of their time interacting with each other in fairly pleasant ways.

Based on my limited understanding of both the term and the sub-genre it describes, I would think Haibane Renmei is the Iyashikei sub-genre of SoL. If not, then I think it would probably belong in the Character-Driven SoL sub-genre.

But I also consider Cowboy Bebop a Slice-of-Life show, so maybe I'm not the best person to theorize on genres.

I actually completely gave up on genres a while back, though I've been coming back around to the idea for the sake of communication -- it's a lot faster and easier to explain to someone that Slime Time is an isekai show with light harem elements and a surprisingly positive plotline, than to go through the entire process (which of course I do anyway) of explaining the irresponsible power fantasy storyline and the oddly altruistic themes that are wrapped around it.

mjack33 wrote:
Think about how smart the average person is.

Now think about what that would mean if intelligence across the population followed a bell curve.

Now think about how that curve is probably exponential on the wrong end instead.

I've always heard it said thusly:
"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now realize that half the population is more stupid than that."
~George Carlin

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:00 pm 

Based on my limited understanding of both the term and the sub-genre it describes, I would think Haibane Renmei is the Iyashikei sub-genre of SoL. If not, then I think it would probably belong in the Character-Driven SoL sub-genre.

But I also consider Cowboy Bebop a Slice-of-Life show, so maybe I'm not the best person to theorize on genres.

I feel slice of life only functions thusly if the life in question is inherently mundane by reality standards, hence any fantastical elements will immediately overwrite the genre.
Magipokan is theoretically a slice of life, but it's knocked out of the contest because the characters are a witch, werewolf, vampire, and cyborg.

Thus, it defaults down to the next broadest genre of being goofy comedy with SoL elements.

Incidentally, one of the gifts I've gotten you might veer into CGDCT a bit hard, but there's more of a plot to that.
Otherwise I apologize for squandering a gift, but I cast the net very very broadly to try to snag at least partly something to your tastes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:09 pm 

Random Fact: The newest box legendary Pokémon are tied with Arceus for 6th highest total base stats in their crowned forms.

Top two tied are Mega versions of Mewtwo and Rayquaza; with Primals being tied for 3rd. 5th is Ultra Necrozma.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:24 pm 

You know, it's always a little weird for me to be listening to Matthew Colville, who normally talks about D&D and dungeonmastering, name-drop razorborne, because I always have this moment of, "wait a minute... I know that guy!"

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:39 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
You know, it's always a little weird for me to be listening to Matthew Colville, who normally talks about D&D and dungeonmastering, name-drop razorborne, because I always have this moment of, "wait a minute... I know that guy!"

wait what now?

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:12 pm 

razorborne wrote:

wait what now?

I was listening to a livestream that The Bearded One* posted a while back, and he mentioned 12Tone making a video about some old TV show that I'd never heard of, but it was only available on this new video site, and it convinced him to sign up. He was using it as an example of good viral marketing, I think, but like I said, whenever I hear about you from someone else (like, I think Technicality has mentioned you before?), I always have this weird moment realizing they're talking about you.

*IIRC, this moniker came about because Matthew Colville, Matthew Mercer, and some other really good but less-known DM alsonamed Matt were together one time, and Colville, with his magnificent chin of hair, was most easily referred to as "the bearded one (i.e. the bearded Matt)," but I like just referring to him as The Bearded One.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:23 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
oh, neat! yeah, I did a thing about The Prisoner on Nebula. and yes, I did a collab with Technicality a while back: Alex is a friend of mine, we've known each other for years. honestly it still kinda trips me up to see famous youtube folks mention me too: being an internet person is weird.

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:16 am 

Politics makes me want to avoid going home for Christmas. My entire family believes in Jesus. I wish they could get together on his supposed birthday without people ending up at each other’s throats over something unrelated.

Anyone else not looking fwd to Christmas w the Cranks this year? For any reason...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:57 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
After putting in an average of 8.5 hours per workday for the last month, I found out that my November paycheck could be significantly lighter than it should be (about 15%, if you're interested)

This, combined with the frequent "you should just work more!" equivalents from my boss and the fact I'm at the office about 45' early each day to do preparations that are absolutely necessary for my job WITHOUT GETTING PAID FOR IT, is not good for my sanity.

I'm trying to relax to have a decent night of sleep before another grinding day (weather has been ****, obviously), with mixed results. See you on the other side, I guess.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:35 pm 

After putting in an average of 8.5 hours per workday for the last month, I found out that my November paycheck could be significantly lighter than it should be (about 15%, if you're interested)

This, combined with the frequent "you should just work more!" equivalents from my boss and the fact I'm at the office about 45' early each day to do preparations that are absolutely necessary for my job WITHOUT GETTING PAID FOR IT, is not good for my sanity.

I'm trying to relax to have a decent night of sleep before another grinding day (weather has been ****, obviously), with mixed results. See you on the other side, I guess.

Oh, ouch. That really sucks, Huey, and I hope that all gets resolved quickly. Why is your paycheck going to be so reduced? Is it a tax issue, or a screw-up by your company, or what? If you can't or don't want to talk about it, that's fine, but I'm certainly curious.

And as someone who spent two years coming in an hour and sometimes two early for a job where I had to be there for 9 hours already, I can definitely empathize with that aspect. Although mercifully, I never had to deal with reduced pay on top of it.

I'm sure you probably don't want to talk about this right now (and of course, you don't have to!) but can I ask about the "November Paycheck" thing? Do you get paid once a month? And if so, is it delayed half-way into the next month? I'm mostly curious about whether this is specific to your company, or if this is common in Italy. I get paid twice a month, on the 15th and on the last day of the month, and it's delayed by one pay period (so my check from December 15th was for my time worked from November 15-30), which I suppose is not that different, but I'm curious.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:58 pm 

Reason: I dunno yet. It might be for how overtime taxation work and how my company supposedly tried to compensate for it, but knowing that my time and energy are basically wasted as far as I'm concerned makes me really not motivated to keep up this rhythm. Luckily Christmas is coming, but we have no way to deal with our workload without my boss' direct intervention or, you know, working 10 hours a day on the 24th, the 31th and every possible other workday, which... Miss Vice, please say it for me.
Orida wrote:
**** that.

Paycheck schedule: One payday each month around the 10-15th. Dunno about what delays are most common, but one paycheck per month is pretty much standard AFAIK. Having monthly paychecks helps with the fact that workers should have two extra months of pay per year (I could look up why that is if you want, but not now), which in my case are included in my hourly pay in some roundabout way.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:30 pm 

Okay, I don't know what the culture about this is in Italy, but here in the U.S., I'm reasonably certain that an employee could go to court over not paying you for those 45 minutes, based on what I've heard from malicious compliance stories. If you were working here, I would say that you shouldn't lift a finger towards your work unless you were on the clock. It's what I've been doing, and why I end up with days like yesterday which was a 10hr 11min shift with a 7 minute lunch -- if I get asked to do anything, I am going to do it while clocked in. Like, if you have to work 10 hours every other work day next week, you need to be paid properly for that time, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Google your local labor laws if you have to, but then go talk to your company's HR department if you're concerned, because they'll be able to guide you and investigate properly if need be.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:50 am 

In the US, there are enough loop holes for salaried employees that the first company I worked for routinely required 60 to 80 hour work weeks and omly paid employees for 40. Anyone who complained was terminated; and we were at will employees so they didn’t even need a reason. Of course no one ever fought this in court either for the obvious reasons. Capitalism beaches.

That’s not even top 5 either. The only place I’ve seen regularly enforce the law, other than government employees, is California. Luckily my current company is fantastic so I don’t have to deal anymore; bit it took some scary risks to get my current position. It sounds like Eevee has had some good luck too or works for a smaller company.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:53 am 

I need a new avatar. Suggestions?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:55 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
I need a new avatar. Suggestions?

Something played by David Tennant.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:21 am 

Who?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:53 am 

Who among his characters, or who is David Tennant?
A. Crowley from Good Omens would be a fine candidate.
B. Scottish actor that did Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Netflix' Jessica Jones, Good Omens... (I don't really believe you don't know who he is, but w/e)

My creative archive

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408 ... 419  Next