It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409 ... 419  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:03 am 

I have only seen Harry Potter out of those. Which character? Don’t know the person.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:06 am 

Fun fact, I can only currently name the actor/actress for two characters in that series. Just like I only know Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill from that one space movie.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:47 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
mjack33 wrote:
I have only seen Harry Potter out of those. Which character? Don’t know the person.

Barty Crouch jr. (btw, it sounds so strange to me to have a father give his own freakin name to his son. Like, wtf man, do you have any other viable name crossin yo mind? Jeez)

Google Image "david tennant crowley" for the specific character I was referring to.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:47 pm 

Identity: Human
mjack33 wrote:
It sounds like Eevee has had some good luck too or works for a smaller company.

While yes, I could say I'm lucky here (I really have no metric to gauge it, though I'll admit I'm part of the Baylor healthcare system, which is HUGE), I have to point out, wasn't it you who, a few pages back, talked about "there's a reason people have nervous breakdowns at work"?

I mean, this is kind of why labor unions are a thing, even if what we're talking about is nowhere near the horrendous conditions that caused them to be formed in the first place. Proper treatment of your employees is important.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:00 pm 

My industry doesn’t have unions. It’s functionally impossible for them to exist; bc anyone who needs them is replaceable and anyone who isn’t replaceable makes bank.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:40 pm 

Some unions have come out of very replaceable posts... like the Teamsters. Not these days, though, the push at least in the US seems to be for unions to be defanged and die, not for them to spawn and organize. I wouldn't be surprised to see collective bargaining struck down in high courts or the National Labor Relations Act (that makes Unions legal) repealed in my lifetime, given natter about "Labor monopoly". Not sure how much that would hit where I am in CA, but there'd be fallout even if state laws didn't change.

But then I'm a sour and pessimistic sort when it comes to that kind of prediction.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:27 am 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
So in Italy it's legal to only pay people once a month? In Canada you have to pay employees every 2 weeks.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:47 am 

I'm pretty sure monthly paychecks is standard in most of Europe. It certainly is in Sweden. Everyone gets paid on the 25th of every month here (or the Friday before if the 25th is on the weekend).

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:53 pm 

Thanks to Barinellos, I now own THREE separate copies* of a manga I have yet to read.

Thanks for the gift, though, buddy.

*two of the copies are my own fault, for clarity's sake

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:20 am 

It’s the most wonderful time of the year.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:01 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
It’s the most wonderful time of the year.

Except that the day after I leave for my vacation with family, I get sick as a dog. I've been vomiting intermittently for the past five hours.

That reminds me: where do we get that expression? Are dogs sick all the time or something? Or is it that when dogs get sick, they get really sick? Having never owned a dog, I have no expertise in this area.

Anyway, I'm going to try to get back to sleep, and hopefully not wake up vomiting again.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:13 am 

Its a reference to plague carriers back in the 18th century.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:32 am 

Thanks to Barinellos, I now own THREE separate copies* of a manga I have yet to read.

Thanks for the gift, though, buddy.

*two of the copies are my own fault, for clarity's sake

My gifts are worth two of what you could buy yourself. It's purely math.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:18 am 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
I had a green Christmas and was quite pleased to have one. \it was also a surprisingly chill* Christmas. I suppose the niece/nephew*** horde as grown older and calmer since the terror memories of Xmas's past.

*As in quite, it was quite warm**
**You know, for late December in Canada.
***Is there no singular English term for both of these things?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:36 am 

TPmanW wrote:

Not in the Eskimo kinship system, as far as I'm aware. I feel like it's an odd thing to want, when most kinship systems (and some languages) get much more descriptive, with needing to specify which sibling's children's they are to you, or even even whether they came from an older sibling or younger sibling.

--------

So, for some reason this Christmas, I received THREE mugs. I don't know why, just that three separate people hit on the idea of including a mug as a gift.

--------

I've also been forgetting to mention, I watched Angel's Egg last weekend. I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. I think over time it will get better with re-watches, but I can't say I really enjoyed it on that first watch. It's got atmosphere, but my biggest criticism is that it has what I dub "the Matrix problem" -- long stretches of quiet punctuated by ABSOLUTE NOISE that has you fiddling with the volume the entire movie, and lord help you if you have headphones on.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:41 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
TPmanW wrote:
niece/nephew***

nibling.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:51 pm 

The squirrel is correct. Niblings is the gender neutral plural that almost no one uses. Some dialects may also use the male nephews for a group with both genders, but nieces and nephews is by far the most common. I personally also use the term shorter short people or smaller fam.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:54 pm 

As someone roughly six foot six; relative height is relative and a lot of taller individuals don’t consider themselves to be that tall.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:36 pm 

Due to the weather today (rainy and generally miserable all day), I've been feeling... particularly useless today. I mean that in the bad way; less that I got nothing done (which, to be clear, I got nothing done today), and more that I have nothing about me that is actually good and adds to the world.

Like, I can logically conclude that is not the case, especially when I've tried lifting others out of the same defeatist attitude, but the emotional monkey brain in me is telling me that I've been measured and found wanting.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:55 am 

Well, your monkey brain needs to back off. Unfortunately, I know it isn't that easy. I hope you can find some way of reminding yourself of your importance in a way that resonates into that part of your mind, because I can say without a doubt that you are important. You are important to me not just because of everything you've done for the M:EM (but also definitely because of everything you've done for the M:EM), but also because I've always had the impression that you truly care about each of us on a personal level. You have, in a lot of little ways, made my life better, and I resent the notion that that somehow should not be enough to make you valuable, even without mentioning everything you have done in your life which doesn't directly affect me. I feel like I'm rambling, but hopefully at least something here makes sense and can make you feel better.

my ego sig

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409 ... 419  Next