It is currently Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 409, 410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 415 ... 422  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:43 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
How would you pick what can go in the command zone? Is it going to be like having 3 commanders?

Yes, legendary creatures.
Though I think one of the caveats is the are the only legendaries allowed in the deck too.

Aaarrrgh wrote:
Also, is it your intention that regular treasure tokens also can be used for that purpose? Because if so, that can become a very powerful strategy.

I think so, but I'm still weighing the odds there.
Though obviously, something like Revel in Riches is auto banned.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:19 pm 

My feedback is that if you start with 3 legendary creatures on the board or even in the command zone; then the format seems like a much more degenerate version of edh in which youd need some more rules ala 3cm. Like decks cant win turn 1.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:27 am 

mjack33 wrote:
My feedback is that if you start with 3 legendary creatures on the board or even in the command zone; then the format seems like a much more degenerate version of edh in which youd need some more rules ala 3cm. Like decks cant win turn 1.

As I'm not a commander player, that feedback is, perhaps, less useful than you'd intended.
I can't really foresee how something like that can really be possible. Well, not entirely true, but it would be the usual sort of degeneracy you can find in any hyper tuned no rules deck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:25 am 

At the very least, you do raise a valid point regarding the number of potential command zone interactions.
Limiting it to one per turn would be a good rule of thumb to operate on.

In other news, just watched Sonic. For what it's worth, it wasn't bad. Quick pacing means it doesn't overstay its welcome, which is good because Sonic has moments that he really starts to press on your nerves. Meanwhile, haven't seen a performance from Jim Carrey like that in ages. For better or worse.

It does make me think fondly of the Archie Comics Sonic too, at least once they picked up some of the plot threads from the Sat AM show. The canon on that managed to be pretty crazy, but weirdly cohesive and some of the story elements punched waaaay above its weight class. Which was true of the archie tmnt stuff too, come to think of it...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:03 am 

Good to hear that movie isn't terrible. I played a lot of Sonic 1-3 and watched the hell out of SatAM as a kid, so I've still got some fondness for the franchise even with it having gotten some really garbage entries.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:19 am 

Happy birthday, RuwinReborn, wherever you may be!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:23 pm 

Identity: Human
Some thoughts on some anime that I'm currently watching:

I've noticed a few things on my re-watch of Yu Yu Hakusho, and they almost all pertain to the era in which it was made. I'm currently in the middle of the Dark Tournament arc of season 2, but I've long since decided it's not worth sticking with the show. I want to at least watch the whole tournament arc, because its the last few fights that I wanted to watch in the first place, but it's gotten to be a slog. There's just a whole lot of hand-waving, discontinuity, and inconsistency that characterizes shounen battle anime, but it feels even more pronounced here. Some things just straight-up don't make sense based on what was established just a handful of episodes prior.

I'm also surprised that some of these episodes weren't edited with an epilepsy warning because god damn. There are sometimes garish flashing effects on-screen for so long they start to give me a headache, and I don't have any photosensitivity.

Another thing I noticed as a product of its time are all the accents they give the characters (mostly the antagonists). I'm no expert on accents, so I assume they're all bad stereotypical accents, but it makes the show feel surprisingly multicultural, in comparison to modern anime dubs. I almost wish there was more of that, but, you know, with actual multicultural voice actors instead of just bad accents. I'm sure I'd be one of the first to rail against ease of understanding the actors if that were the case, though, so I'm not sure if I should be making this argument.

--------

The first half of Planet With feels like they squeezed all the off-the-wall worldbuilding and confusing plot twists and Cthulhu-punching of Gurren Lagann into 6 episodes, but without any of the character growth and emotions, and I legitimately don't know where the story can be taken from there. Probably somewhere crazy. Well, crazier.

--------

I also never thought I'd cry over a cartoon cat, but the loving mother cat from Chi's Sweet Home that just invites the lost kitten Chi to live with her pressed my emotions button hard.

--------

A while back I was told about how Funimation got the rights to Interspecies Reviewers and then pulled it down after just, like, one episode, but I've subsequently found it goes deeper than that. First off, full disclosure, Interspecies Reviewers is an extremely raunchy comedy about some friends who decide to become reviewers of the various "red light districts" of their high-fantasy world. Having watched the first episode myself, I can confidently say that it's closer to hentai than some hentai, though it never loses its comedy leanings even when showing rather explicit imagery.

Anyway, Interspecies Reviewers started as a manga, which was apparently somewhat tasteful, I've been told? Or, at least, it never got as explicit in its imagery as the anime did. It somehow got an anime adaptation, and a dub by people who have a track record of really, really caring for their translation and dub work, then got pulled from most streaming sites and TV networks, even in Japan. It got replaced by a show about boats on its Japanese network. The only site that seems to still be streaming it (though no longer in English) is an Australian anime streaming site called Animelab. "Animelab has not launched in your part of the world yet," it tells me, and I have yet to figure out how to work a VPN, but that first episode had some of the funniest jokes I'd seen from anime in a while.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:04 am 

It somehow got an anime adaptation, and a dub by people who have a track record of really, really caring for their translation and dub work,

If you're talking about Funimation, then their track record at large isn't so bad, but in recent years, they've gotten caught screwing around with a fair share of their scripts and it's gotten back to some of the creators who aren't terribly happy about it.

Outside of that, I also have to call slight shenanigans over their excuse for dropping the show because, similarly, some of the shows they've done in the past are very nearly hentai anyway.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:56 am 

Barinellos wrote:
If you're talking about Funimation, then their track record at large isn't so bad, but in recent years, they've gotten caught screwing around with a fair share of their scripts and it's gotten back to some of the creators who aren't terribly happy about it.

I was talking about people like this lady who does translation work for Funi and Sentai, who obviously puts a lot of effort into her translations when she goes on a 12-tweet explanation of how she translated a single line (thread linked). Also Brittany Karbowski was apparently voicing the angel of the main character trio, but supposedly now denies that she was involved in the show.

Now, keep in mind I am relaying what I've heard from discussions around the show, as I don't tend to have knowledge of the individuals behind anime productions. I don't even know the name Brittany Karbowski, but to someone who's familiar with her work, it's apparently obvious that it's her doing the voice.

I had not known that about Funimation messing around with the scripts, though, which adds a new layer of intriguing possibility. I had speculated that maybe Sony had ordered the production to cease, but the fact that everyone who was known to be involved in the dub is denying they were involved in the dub hints that corporate -- whether that be Funimation or Sony -- is ordering their employees to do so.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:08 am 

I have some opinions on Planet With. Interested to hear how the second half works for you.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:23 pm 

Last night, my dreams were weird.
There seemed to be a lot of motifs stolen from the movie "A Quiet Place" with touches of The Walking Dead tossed in, a fact that I even picked up in the dream.
But at some point, it vastly mutated into a rom-com version of the movie "species"

It even came with it's own tag line: "really close encounters of the third kind"

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:25 pm 

I recommend watching 80s slasher films like Friday the 13th to balance yourself out. Maybe some good old fashioned Chic Flicks too. Start w The Lighthouse and Notting Hill and work your way down. If you get to Pride and Prejudice you have gone too far but should keep watching if the Jane Austen version.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:38 pm 

Meanwhile, I dreamt that I fell asleep during a Japanese lesson at a friend's house, then woke up (inside the dream) with no memory of how I got there, but aware that the friend (who was also the Japanese teacher in this scenario) let me sleep while everyone else left, then suggested we just watch an anime together. I had two ipads in this dream, neither one had the app I wanted on it, and I could somehow check both of them without it being obvious that I had awoken.

Melatonin gives me some weird dreams.

I also woke up at 2am because my house made noise, and I've been reading a murder-mystery manga called Doubt (the plot basically being "a Mafia game has gotten TOO real"), so I'm a little extra jumpy when I wake up like that.

QUICKEDIT: I feel like I should clarify: my "weird dreams" are, like, really low-key dreams. Kind of slice-of-life stuff that doesn't involve fantasy powers. A normal dream for me is visiting a stadium and running from people by teleportation, flight, and time travel.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:02 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
It's time for TP's occasional catch up binge commentary thread!!

On language & #'s: AsEminem said, "I've got four twenties and ten and nine problems and how the French language handles numbers is one".

Aaarrrgh wrote:
The related franchise is D&D. Specifically Acquisitions Incorporated: The C Team, a D&D campaign being played live on Twitch and run by Jerry Holkins of PennyArcade fame. I've been bingeing it on Youtube lately, because there's a lot of it. The poem was inspired by a moment where Walnut (the party's druid) summoned a dryad which was basically a living siege engine in order to win a particularly gruesome battle.

I love an am confused by the fact that we live in a world where watching streams of people playing D&D is a mainstream thing.

Barinellos wrote:
At the very least, you do raise a valid point regarding the number of potential command zone interactions.
Limiting it to one per turn would be a good rule of thumb to operate on.

In other news, just watched Sonic. For what it's worth, it wasn't bad. Quick pacing means it doesn't overstay its welcome, which is good because Sonic has moments that he really starts to press on your nerves. Meanwhile, haven't seen a performance from Jim Carrey like that in ages. For better or worse.

Planet With is pretty awesome. I rather prefer it to Gurren Lagan. I feel it nails its themes a lot better.

My dreams tend to be pretty low key. Sometimes I'll just be walking home from school as a kid and start using my coat to fly like the cape from Super Mario World. The fantastic stuff is just kind of normalized by familiar settings. There's never any monsters chasing me, but sometimes I'll learn that my paperwork wasn't filled out right and I never technically graduated, so I'll have to do some weird contest to get my diploma or something.
I'm not a lucid dreamer but my highly editorial mindset often interjects in my dreams. I'll realize something doesn't make a lot of sense and the scenario will auto-correct.

It does make me think fondly of the Archie Comics Sonic too, at least once they picked up some of the plot threads from the Sat AM show. The canon on that managed to be pretty crazy, but weirdly cohesive and some of the story elements punched waaaay above its weight class. Which was true of the archie tmnt stuff too, come to think of it...

I'm kind of shocked that the movie isn't terrible. I was big fan of the comics way back in the day. As far as I'm concerned the guys of Sega* should have just handed the reins of the plot over to the Archie comics team. Sega just made a hot mess of the plot and the general aesthetic chasing whatever notion they felt was trendy at the time. Alongside the decline in gameplay going into the 3D era it makes me wonder how Sonic is even still a thing kids today recognize.
I think I have 1 memory of the SatAM cartoon, were I remember thinking it was super cool but almost never on. So my only real memory of the show was not watching it.

*Please read "Sega" in the old Genesis starting logo voice. Not just now but always.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:12 pm 

Actually, one of the best parts of the movie is when the sega logo cones on and it does the Genesis voice.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:43 am 

As a kid, my favorite star trek characters were the Klingon, as an adult, I'm far more resonant with the Ferengi.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:22 pm 

I went to see Ride Your Wave at a "premiere event," which I'm beginning to think is shorthand for "we can only afford to reserve one screening at the cheapest time slot." I went in blind, but found out it's by the same director that made the acclaimed short The Night is Short, Walk On Girl, and another movie/short I've heard good things about, Lu Over the Wall.

Description and opinions

Meanwhile, I had to spend ten minutes trying to figure out just what the heck Love Live! Fest is, and then found out that it's too long (at three and a half hours) to go out to theatres on a weekday anyway. I'm still not sure if it's an anime or not, but I'm sure there are no subtitles because it said so in the event description.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:16 pm 

Anyone else here play a lot of Switch?

Luna I am under the opinion that you would enjoy some things more if you analyzed them less. I’m reminded of you telling me sll Zelda games are the same for example.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:57 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
Anyone else here play a lot of Switch?

Define "a lot." For the last year, I've done almost all of my gaming on the Switch, but I only play about an hour any given day, and even on weekends it's usually only a few hours spread throughout the day. I think I get about 7 hours of gaming a week in.

Quote:
Luna I am under the opinion that you would enjoy some things more if you analyzed them less. I’m reminded of you telling me sll Zelda games are the same for example.

I consider analyzing media a core part of my identity, even if I am struggling with coming to terms with the fact that I may not be very good at it. I don't recall saying specifically ever saying that all Zelda games are the same, but that does sound near enough to something I'd say to be believable.

Nintendo has had a very successful business strategy that's a little hard to find fault with considering the alternative has given us so many horrible sequels and reboots: in the 80s, they made some really good games with memorable IPs: Mario, Pokémon, Metroid, Zelda, etc., then, they spent years basically making games following the exact same formula. It's not quite like they've been re-releasing the same games (although they have been doing that, too), and you can see evolution across time, but first-party Nintendo titles are all extremely formulaic and predictable: Mario will be a whacky, colorful platformer; Pokémon will be an easy monster-collecting RPG; Metroid will be a dark and atmospheric action-platformer; Zelda will be an action-adventure game. I don't really begrudge them for it (or at least, if I ever did, I don't anymore), because I've seen what happens with IPs like Sonic that try to innovate with every game, and as a result lack a clear identity.

Again, to be clear, I do tend to like Nintendo games, at least moreso than any other big publisher titles, but I find it hard to deny that any individual game in one of their big series are big departures from the one it directly followed or the one it directly preceded.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:11 pm 

Switch?

My wife and I had an agreement. When we finished Xenoblade and I finished Odin Sphere, we would get a Switch. Actually, the agreement was for a Wii U, but then the Switch came out and we decided that was for the most modern system

The Odin Sphere reqirement has been waived in light of the PS2 ending up on the receiving end of our cat's Fatal Push, but Xenoblade is a bloody behemoth and still looms between us and the likes of Mario Maker 2 and FE: Three Houses.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 409, 410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 415 ... 422  Next