It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 418 ... 430  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:08 pm 

TPmanW wrote:

Metroid should try a foray into horror. They already have the isolated uneasy atmosphere down.

They did a bit with Prime 2.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:35 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
TPmanW wrote:
I'm heading to LA on the 10th and I'll be there until the 20th. Any of you fine folks want to hit me up then?

where in LA?

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:21 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
razorborne wrote:
TPmanW wrote:
I'm heading to LA on the 10th and I'll be there until the 20th. Any of you fine folks want to hit me up then?

where in LA?

Somewhere around Disney.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:29 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
TPmanW wrote:
razorborne wrote:
TPmanW wrote:

where in LA?

Somewhere around Disney.

oof, that is... very far from me. that's the sad thing about LA: you can be in the same city and still be hours away. have fun at Disney, though!

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:58 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

razorborne wrote:
TPmanW wrote:
razorborne wrote:
where in LA?

Somewhere around Disney.

oof, that is... very far from me. that's the sad thing about LA: you can be in the same city and still be hours away. have fun at Disney, though!

Yeah, that's a big part of what sunk our last attempt at meeting.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:30 pm 

On the other hand, it seems like you'll be in town a while. I'm closer to disney than Raz is if he's still at the place I visited, but it's still pretty far in the "Everything in LA is an hour away, plus or minus traffic" sort of way. If you get a chance to end up at or near Universal, that's vaguely central (still a bit of a ride for me or Raz but in my case at least more doable. I don't know Razor's transit situation) and I know an awesome LGS.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:15 am 
Conqueror of Eldangard

I believe we are headed to Universal at one point. That would be a good time to meet up. I don't know how to get around LA and I won't have anything to drive, so any way I could parasite a ride of one of you would be good. Or do people even drive in LA? In my city I've never even set foot on a bus (but then I am a suburbs kid).

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:42 pm 

Identity: Human
:rain:
Nothing serious has been going on in my life (yet), but I've been feeling extremely anxious and, as a result, rather listless lately. A lot of that is worry over the looming shadow of COVID right now. It's coming, and it scares the hell out of me.

I've also been watching 6+ anime simultaneously for the last two or three months, so I largely haven't been making enough progress in any of them to talk about. It was an experiment I had decided to undergo to see if it would feel any "better" to watch shows more slowly, but I'm not even done with the handful I chose to start with and I already feel like I want out. I'm not sure if the benefit of only having to put up with bad shows for one day of the week is worth it.

mjack33 wrote:
Y’all should develop ways to contact each other outside of the site if it’s inevitable heat death will cause you to panic. Even if it’s just steam or discord.

I was/am the M:EM lighthouse, though I don't know if I still have everyone, and I'm not sure how connected people are to their various accounts. I remember once years ago, for instance, when the site was down for like an entire week, OL said he had to wrack his brain just to remember he had the alternate email account that he had given me.

Speaking of, I won't lie and say it didn't hurt to find that OL has been writing Magic fanfiction elsewhere. I'm behind a generation in terms of social media, so I don't even really understand the draw of platforms like Twitter. Except maybe meme accounts like that s8n fellow.

some other ramblings

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:09 am 

We're all behind a generation on social media. That's why we're here.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:14 am 

Aaarrrgh wrote:

Them twitter kids are what for up in my lawn!
With their MTV and Diet Cokes...

Though my inability to interface with these new social media formats has actually really hurt my capacity to get out to connect with others, but I honestly couldn't give a **** what gets said on most of them. It's mostly just senseless noise and daily drivel.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:03 am 

Someone please explain Animal Crossing to me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:24 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:

That's fair. I suspect, though, that I could have easily had a pen pal (or whatever the e-mail equivalent is) rather than a forum outlet had I had a different upbringing.

mjack33 wrote:
Someone please explain Animal Crossing to me.

It's Farmville from before Facebook: a series of repetitive arbitrary tasks/challenges without the arbitrary difficulty that most games (video, board, sports, or otherwise) tack on, while still having set goals that can be worked toward (repay your debt; decorate your house; keep the villagers happy; etc.). It feeds the brain's need for that kind of action->reward while keeping it more grounded than traditional games through the ultra-simplified abstraction of everyday home life.

While I never owned any Animal Crossing games myself, more than one of my friends got really into (and thus had me play a lot of, as well) what I think was the original Animal Crossing on the Gamecube, and while I'll admit it never really appealed to me, I've probably put a lot more time and energy trying to understand it than I needed to. There's probably something that can be said about Nintendo's (and by extension Japan's, considering it's the land of Hello Kitty) character design work, to make the villagers charming in their minimalism, and there may also be something to be said about brand loyalty, I think a large part of it is simply having that kind of game that you can put, say, an hour into every day to unwind is very appealing to people. It's that, plus the social interaction of being online games, that tends to keep a lot of MMOs going, even if it's a completely different aesthetic between the two.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:47 pm 

Digging through a bunch of AMV's, I've managed to put together a functional recreation of Pink Floyd's The Wall using Evangelion AMV's.
Technically missing a couple of tracks, but it feels consistent at least.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:54 am 

I am rather irritated by my boss right now.
She's displaying expectations that she herself cannot meet, but she's also oblivious to her hypocrisy because of the state of her godawful memory and assumptions of her own competency vs the reality of the job and her demands.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:50 am 

That sounds absolutely miserable. Any chance you can keep hard evidence track of any of these metrics?

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:46 am 

Possibly, but my cohort would be better at compiling the evidence.
She doesn't actually work closing, with the very very sparse times she does not being up to her standards if she weren't doing the job. It's a double whammy of not having the experience to understand what the job requires as well as being under the illusion her work is fine.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:51 pm 

A few rambling things I want to say:

First, because of a silly little webcomic I found today (Chats with the Void on tumblr, it's adorable and there's only been 13 pages made so far), I was reminded about how you all are always here, ready to listen to me whenever there's something on my mind or bothering me or whatever, and I want to thank you again for that. I love it here, and I love you all. And, I want you all to know that I'm here, if you need someone to talk to, and I have all sorts of quicker ways you can get in touch, too. <3

Secondly, in a bit of mind-wandering, I came to that all-important realization about how I've been mistaking my personal taste for quality. This mostly has to do with/came about because I've been playing Link to the Past for the first time, and am finding it... somewhat frustrating. Of course, there was the rage-inducing boss battle with Moldorm, but a lot of my frustration comes from the swordplay, since unlike in the later-designed top-down 2D Zelda games (like the ones I grew up with, Oracle of Ages & Seasons), the entire attack animation is not actually where and when you deal damage. Now, I haven't formed a personal opinion on the game overall as of yet, but thinking about the aged mechanics (and how they may have been tweaked in the port), I got to wondering about how my personal tastes affects what I see as good gameplay mechanics, or good story pacing, or good acting.

This leads into my next topic, because part of what prompted this is realizing that, despite never having seen the Inuyasha movies before, the show is so ingrained into my childhood that I cannot tell whether ANYTHING in them is something I should call out as bad. I've been watching the Inuyasha movies this week since finding out they've been put up for free on Youtube Movies. Unlike Yuyu Hakusho, which is from so much earlier in my childhood that I didn't remember almost anything about it, I was probably a pre-teen when I started watching Inuyasha, so it's something I'm still really familiar with. I remember it so well and so fondly, that I cannot judge how the quality of translation or dubbing holds up, how full of holes the plot is, whether character aspects or recurring gags are in poor taste, et cetera. I am vaguely aware that Miroku and Sango's relationship is probably worth examining, but even then there's like... most of today's anime that might be so much worse at perpetuating bad behavior.

Which kind of feeds back into my previous idea about my personal tastes, because while I'm sure there's something to be said for "normalizing" behavior that's not just problematic, but might actually be illegal (such as the common gag of peeking or sneaking into women's baths), the vast majority of people know the difference between fact and fiction, and just use the fiction to escape from whatever troubles they have. I remember that was an important talking point that Patrick Galbraith had, about the people who are into moe and loli characters: that they aren't confusing fact from fiction, but that those who don't understand the culture surrounding them think they are. So, like, while I kind of find the presentation loli characters in general to be kind of... unsettling?, that doesn't mean a loli character makes a show bad or should be a point against it; it's just not to my tastes. (Note: this is obviously a sliding scale and I get weirded out/take more offense to the 600-year-old-toddler trope than I do something like... whatever you call what goes on in Made in Abyss.) By the same token, I feel like I shouldn't be so hard on myself for liking the other end of the spectrum, the raunchy, very much made-for-guys-without-thought-for-women anime like Ishuzoku Reviewers. Just as long as I don't start mistaking that taste for quality.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:07 pm 

Mystery Dungeon Dx called me a Cubone. I sm offended. It’s not wrong; but still offended.

Quality is secondary to Taste. You can have the best movie in the world. If no one likes it then so what?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:19 am 

mjack33 wrote:

Quality is secondary to Taste. You can have the best movie in the world. If no one likes it then so what?

So long as nobody substitutes their taste for objectivity and argues the point of quality from a soapbox like an **** (and as it so happens I'm thinking of a specific **** {nobody that would read this}, okay TWO specific **** now that I think about it) then it's all You do you, my guy.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:35 pm 

Shower thought: Isn’t quality subjective at some level anyways?

Yes there are objective standards of quality such as fps, resolution, etc. But when it comes to quality of content things become much weirder.

For example, I’ve seen media where people argue incessantly over the level of quality based on their subjective opinions on how tropes were used in said media.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 418 ... 430  Next