It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:24 pm 

I feel like it's been some time since we've last checked in on the goings-on in Foraine. Well, this story will check in on everybody's two favorite Thorneau characters...

Okay, well, this story will check in on everybody's two favorite Thorneau characters...

While it probably wouldn't hurt to be caught up on the entire Thorneau Revolution story arc, I would suggest that the two stories most needed for this story would be these:

Required Reading

As with pretty much all of my Thorneau pieces, I owe a big "thank you" to Orcish for this one. It was a long time ago, but he and I talked through the brushstrokes of this particular story and ironed out a few details and implications at that time. Sadly, because of Orcish's current sabbatical, I did not have the opportunity to run the finished product by him, so hopefully this meets with the good Orc's approval when he eventually returns.

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys!

A Business Proposal

Project

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:17 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/him/etc.
Oh dear, Perrine, do you not see the problem? What, pray tell, prevents M. Cerveau from arranging an unfortunate run-in between a peasant assassin and your own illustrious self?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:59 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
I'm terribly sorry for being so late in checking dearest Perrine's latest news. I love the complete change of pace (and of tone) between the two halves of the conversation, though I wasn't completely sold on Thomas' dread before Perrine makes her counter-proposal (heh). Partly because Thomas has had a way too ominous introduction to be executed at the very first step of his first shown plot, partly because Thomas is painted as so obnoxiously confident facing threat after threat that seems weird for him to buckle after a single sentence. I would buy the switch to a more cautious approach on his side, but just a sentence like "Still, that sounds a very specific issue to scrap the whole plan. I'm sure we can salvage something to benefit the both of us" would show him switching gears keeping intact his image as a confident risk-taker: one used/prepared to risk everything can't break down just because the mark hasn't rolled over at the first meeting. He'd check his hold, make sure he isn't immediately about to die, then rebuild from that.

That's a very specific nitpick, though, I found Perrine's interpretation to be brilliant, and I'm looking forward to the next step in this thickening web of intrigue, so thank you for sharing! :D

Landis963 wrote:
Oh dear, Perrine, do you not see the problem? What, pray tell, prevents M. Cerveau from arranging an unfortunate run-in between a peasant assassin and your own illustrious self?

Unless Thomas himself wants to kill Perrine (which is what she intended for poor Jacquilyn) an endeavor which he would find hard for a number of reasons (her secret magic, to name one), I find it improbable. He could, yes, use his (possible) access to her chateau to give information to peasants, but before his first marriage Perrine can keep guards on him; after that he'll live for a short time in Jacquilyn's abode, during which Perrine will probably ask him to set up a certain meeting, and only then she'll marry him. In this course of action, the only real moment of danger for Perrine will be the meeting itself, for which she'll be plenty prepared. So even if she risks later by accepting him in her chateau, she'd only be at moderate risk after the face and the true mind of the revolution are dead.

That said, Thomas presented himself as a third player, so he probably intends to kill off or manipulate both Perrine and Aurélie to get himself on top, so I'm sure the meeting will have a few surprises for everyone involved. As I said, I'm looking forward to know how this situation develops.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:58 pm 

@Landis963 and Huey: Thank you both for reading and commenting! It is much appreciated.

Landis963 wrote:

I somewhat wonder if that is part of why she wants Thomas to kill his future bride, to see if he has the guts to do it or not. Thomas has had the advantage of planning all of this out, and while our dearest Perrine does not know how long or how thoroughly he's thought it through, she knows it was more than she's had to think about it. I think she wants what Thomas is offering, and this is partially to test Thomas, and partially to buy time to think this through a bit more. Further, the Vicomtesse is extremely confident in herself, so while I'm sure the possibility enters her mind, she probably views his success as unlikely.

And personally, I'm a bit more worried about Thomas than our dearest Perrine. I mean, IF Thomas were to have or try to have the Grand Magistrate assassinated, he would very likely be killed in retaliation. Vicomtesses in Thorneau fear no retaliation. Once she has what she wants, what possible reason would she have for keeping him around? She doesn't strike me as the romantic type, so unless she develops an ear for his "marvelous singing voice," I suspect Thomas had better have a contingency plan in place.

I'm terribly sorry for being so late in checking dearest Perrine's latest news.

No worries! I haven't been around anyway the past few days.

I love the complete change of pace (and of tone) between the two halves of the conversation, though I wasn't completely sold on Thomas' dread before Perrine makes her counter-proposal (heh). Partly because Thomas has had a way too ominous introduction to be executed at the very first step of his first shown plot, partly because Thomas is painted as so obnoxiously confident facing threat after threat that seems weird for him to buckle after a single sentence. I would buy the switch to a more cautious approach on his side, but just a sentence like "Still, that sounds a very specific issue to scrap the whole plan. I'm sure we can salvage something to benefit the both of us" would show him switching gears keeping intact his image as a confident risk-taker: one used/prepared to risk everything can't break down just because the mark hasn't rolled over at the first meeting. He'd check his hold, make sure he isn't immediately about to die, then rebuild from that.

I definitely see your point. The completeness of Thomas's disbelief comes, I think, from his arrogance in matters of the mind. He's so convinced that he had thought through every objection she would have, and he's just completely confounded that such a little thing could thwart his plan. But I think I agree that a bit more arguing, maybe just a couple more lines each there, and maybe a thinly veiled threat from our Dearest Perrine to put the fear of Goddess into him, might lead better into that reaction.

That's a very specific nitpick, though, I found Perrine's interpretation to be brilliant, and I'm looking forward to the next step in this thickening web of intrigue, so thank you for sharing! :D

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I don't remember when Orcish and I first discussed this possible interaction, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was around the time I posted "A Game at Chess" and introduced Thomas Cerveau in the first place. So this one has been a long time coming, and I really enjoyed playing around with the dialog between these two.

Landis963 wrote:

Unless Thomas himself wants to kill Perrine (which is what she intended for poor Jacquilyn) an endeavor which he would find hard for a number of reasons (her secret magic, to name one), I find it improbable. He could, yes, use his (possible) access to her chateau to give information to peasants, but before his first marriage Perrine can keep guards on him; after that he'll live for a short time in Jacquilyn's abode, during which Perrine will probably ask him to set up a certain meeting, and only then she'll marry him. In this course of action, the only real moment of danger for Perrine will be the meeting itself, for which she'll be plenty prepared. So even if she risks later by accepting him in her chateau, she'd only be at moderate risk after the face and the true mind of the revolution are dead.

Good points.

That said, Thomas presented himself as a third player, so he probably intends to kill off or manipulate both Perrine and Aurélie to get himself on top, so I'm sure the meeting will have a few surprises for everyone involved. As I said, I'm looking forward to know how this situation develops.

What is most interesting to me, here, is that Thomas presented himself as a third player to the Scholars. It's interesting that we've had two Thomas Cerveau stories (I'm not counting his cameo at the end of "The Voice of the Heart" here because the story doesn't focus on him) and two different stated goals. Admittedly, the things he says to our dearest Perrine in this story are in line with his stated goal from "A Game at Chess." But the other side of that coin is that the things he says to Maëlys Dupont get him into the position he needs to be for the things he says here to be true.

In other words, Thomas Cerveau might want to gain the privilege of the nobility, and he might not. Thomas Cerveau might want to position the Scholars at the top of the social ladder, and he might not. It should also be noted that we, the readers, know that our dearest Perrine is directly responsible for the death of Thomas and Aurélie's father, Marc. For all we know, Thomas's loyalties have always aligned with the peasants.

Maybe we'll know more when and if we ever get the "family reunion" Thomas references at the end of "The Voice of the Heart."

Maybe we'll know less!

Like this post