No Goblins Allowed
https://nogoblinsallowed.com/

Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)
https://nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=400
Page 42 of 43

Author:  Barinellos [ Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

And what if it were actually a function of the world that the written becomes truth?

Author:  RavenoftheBlack [ Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

Barinellos wrote:
And what if it were actually a function of the world that the written becomes truth?

Then there are any number of people, two especially come to mind, that we probably don't want visiting...

:takei:

Author:  RavenoftheBlack [ Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

There should probably be an Oldwalker who goes around (or went around) constructing elaborate, trap-and-riddle-filled "ruins" as a joke on the local populace, making them think that there had been some advanced (and apparently paranoid) ancient civilization, when in fact it was just some bored planeswalker who enjoyed creating dungeoncrawls.

Author:  Huey Nomure [ Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

There should probably be an Oldwalker who goes around (or went around) constructing elaborate, trap-and-riddle-filled "ruins" as a joke on the local populace, making them think that there had been some advanced (and apparently paranoid) ancient civilization, when in fact it was just some bored planeswalker who enjoyed creating dungeoncrawls.

Nice! Like some geomancer playing Minecraft with a random plane.

Author:  Tevish Szat [ Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

There should probably be an Oldwalker who goes around (or went around) constructing elaborate, trap-and-riddle-filled "ruins" as a joke on the local populace, making them think that there had been some advanced (and apparently paranoid) ancient civilization, when in fact it was just some bored planeswalker who enjoyed creating dungeoncrawls.

At least once he has to leave something really troll-y at the heart of the labyrinth rather than an actual prize. "A winner is you!"

Author:  Lord LunaEquie is me [ Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

There should probably be an Oldwalker who goes around (or went around) constructing elaborate, trap-and-riddle-filled "ruins" as a joke on the local populace, making them think that there had been some advanced (and apparently paranoid) ancient civilization, when in fact it was just some bored planeswalker who enjoyed creating dungeoncrawls.

At least once he has to leave something really troll-y at the heart of the labyrinth rather than an actual prize. "A winner is you!"

Obligatory

Author:  Barinellos [ Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

Man I love Oglaf. Been forever since I checked it.

Author:  RavenoftheBlack [ Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

I would like to see a civilization, reasonably advanced in MTG terms, wherein cannibalism is the norm. Presumably, they only cannibalize criminals, undesirables, or volunteers.

Author:  Aaarrrgh [ Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

Presumably, they only cannibalize criminals, undesirables, or volunteers.


That would make them the opposite of real world cannibal societies. Ritual cannibalism is usually done to absorb the traits, qualities, and abilities if the deceased, so cannibalizing criminals and undesirables basically never happens. I suppose they might not be cannibals for ritual purposes though, but rather out of necessity. Make it a Soylent Green type scenario, except everyone is aware of it. Maybe ratfolk?

Author:  RavenoftheBlack [ Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

Aaarrrgh wrote:
Presumably, they only cannibalize criminals, undesirables, or volunteers.


That would make them the opposite of real world cannibal societies. Ritual cannibalism is usually done to absorb the traits, qualities, and abilities if the deceased, so cannibalizing criminals and undesirables basically never happens. I suppose they might not be cannibals for ritual purposes though, but rather out of necessity. Make it a Soylent Green type scenario, except everyone is aware of it. Maybe ratfolk?

I think of it sort of like a society that does not believe in the concept of rehabilitation. Criminals, therefore, have no "use" to society, so cannibalizing them gives them a purpose in their death. I'm sort of thinking of this as a highly society.

Author:  Tevish Szat [ Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

Aaarrrgh wrote:
Presumably, they only cannibalize criminals, undesirables, or volunteers.


That would make them the opposite of real world cannibal societies. Ritual cannibalism is usually done to absorb the traits, qualities, and abilities if the deceased, so cannibalizing criminals and undesirables basically never happens. I suppose they might not be cannibals for ritual purposes though, but rather out of necessity. Make it a Soylent Green type scenario, except everyone is aware of it. Maybe ratfolk?

I think of it sort of like a society that does not believe in the concept of rehabilitation. Criminals, therefore, have no "use" to society, so cannibalizing them gives them a purpose in their death. I'm sort of thinking of this as a highly society.

So kind of a Soylent Green cannibalism.

side story

Author:  TPmanW [ Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

@ Tevish's side story- there was something similar going on with the catfolk in one round of Raven's make a plane game.

Author:  Lord LunaEquie is me [ Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

I would like to see a civilization, reasonably advanced in MTG terms, wherein cannibalism is the norm. Presumably, they only cannibalize criminals, undesirables, or volunteers.

I got a flash of an idea, seeing an Eskimo-like people (note: the term Eskimo encompasses basically all of the indigenous Arctic peoples, I just learned) who live almost exclusively on sea ice. I would imagine the cannibalism in that case would have started as a means to repurpose the useful resources that the dead body represented (fat for fire, bones for needles and other tools, etc.). If we kind of advance the clock, metaphorically speaking, we could assume that the practice stuck around even as the culture became less dependent on needing said resources, and it would then take on a kind of reverential, ritual quality.

Like, I could imagine from that that, say, a flute made from the bone of a great-great-grandmother would be a treasured family heirloom, or that the cannibalism was largely a family affair, unless they were a dominant public figure like a king or something. Something about "keeping the spirit within the family."

I think Aaarrrgh's mention of "undesirables" not being cannibalized would still stick here, since if the culture is "cannibalism = good," then to not be cannibalized would be like the ultimate banishment. "Your spirit cannot join your ancestors, it must wander the lost lands for eternity."

Personally, I would also go ahead and figure something out about death from diseases and how that would factor in. Like, maybe the race in question has a really good sense of smell that can tell what parts shouldn't be eaten? Or maybe, like the "no pork" rule in Judaism, there's a sort of cultural remnant of practices to not eat certain parts of a diseased person, because way back in ancient times that led to deaths? Organs like livers and kidneys are kind of bad to eat anyway since they naturally filter out wastes and poisons.

Author:  TPmanW [ Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

Humans are likely built with cannibalism in mind. As I'v heard, the brain and nerve tissue of the heart are the only real dangerous bits to eat.

Author:  Lord LunaEquie is me [ Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

TPmanW wrote:
Humans are likely built with cannibalism in mind. As I'v heard, the brain and nerve tissue of the heart are the only real dangerous bits to eat.

I would object to your specific phrasing here, but I also can't help but notice how unfamiliar with the topic you are based on what you say here.

Consider:
  • Chimpanzees organize hunting raids both on other chimp clans as well as on monkeys with the purpose of hunting down and eating them.
  • Killing the cubs of rival males and eating them to get the female into season again is common among many mammalian predators (bears and lions especially come to mind).
  • Rat and other rodent mothers (I want to say ground hogs, but I can't remember the exact burrowing rodent example) have been known to eat their own offspring when under stress.
  • Live-born sharks, such as the sand tiger shark, eat their siblings while in-womb so that only the strongest shark comes out. If memory serves, there are species of snake who will attack and kill (though I don't recall whether they eat) each other after a brood hatches, again so that they're left with only the most fit sibling.
  • Adult pigs will often attack and kill piglets to eat them, though I'm less clear on the relationship there (father, rival male, mother, whatever).
  • Basically all invertebrates will feast on eggs of their own species, and eating a partner after mating (mantis, spider, etc.) is an extremely well-known phenomenon. This is before even considering the really unfeeling nature of insects up to and including self-cannibalization.
  • Abutting corals will extrude their stomachs onto one another to eat each other in a sort of territorial claim.

Basically, cannibalism across nature is rather common; it has little to do with humans specifically being suited for cannibalism, and more a common factor across all of life. According to Wikipedia, 90% of creatures in aquatic ecosystems engage in cannibalism at some point in their life-cycles. I did have to look up the shark thing (because I didn't remember the species), and was reminded about pigs in the process, but the rest I already knew about.

As for specific organs and the risks of eating them, from what I can recall it's the brain and uncleaned gastro-intestinal tract that's dangerous. The brain is because of specific diseases seem to make the jump from stomach to nervous system really easy; the unclean intestinal tract should be obvious, but it is worth pointing out that if they're properly cleaned, intestines are safe to eat (hence why they were used for sausages for centuries). Livers can be eaten in small amounts, and is often attractive because of the fat & energy that the organ naturally stores, but it is a filtering organ, meaning that it also accumulates wastes and poisons from the blood. Kidneys have the same problem as livers, but are less appealing because they do not naturally have stores of fat or energy like the liver does. I do not recall anything relevant about hearts.

Author:  Huey Nomure [ Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

Quote:
[X] jumped to her feet, fuming. "What, was I supposed to let you kill her?"

"No, you were supposed to let her kill me!" [Y] looked away guiltily, all his anger gone. "****. I didn't... ****."

Author:  Huey Nomure [ Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

"You know that quote about hammer-wielders and seeing nails everywhere?" She sneered. "Well, he's a prick and everyone he meets is just a hole."

Author:  Barinellos [ Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

There's one idea I've had for a long time, but just haven't felt like further developing:
A vampiric planeswalker who goes around preying on the different strains of vampirism in the multiverse, intent on absorbing their traits and evolving into a super vampire.

Author:  TPmanW [ Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

I'm all for any creature that can be described as a "meta vampire".

Author:  Barinellos [ Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Oceanic bubbles cast adrift (or Ideas Without Homes)

TPmanW wrote:
I'm all for any creature that can be described as a "meta vampire".

I've been working on this.
Spent a lot of time in getting the history in order, so expect something in the next short time.

Page 42 of 43 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/