It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:19 pm 

Identity: Human
I've been thinking about the Magic twists on creatures ported over from D&D and the weird names they've given them, like the Azra (obviously just being Tieflings) and Kithkin (being Hobbits or Halflings, but with some optional telepathy).

So, it's kind of been swirling in my brain of what others think about other iconic D&D creatures and whether they'd want them to be ported over, name and all, or whether they'd be more comfortable with some minor changes.

Like, for instance, would you still call a spider-centaur a Drider, or would you prefer some other name? Would any other change be warranted, like maybe they'd be more like Quelaag, having an entire spider as their lower half (including mouth bits), and/or an elemental shift?

This is just a random example, as a majority of D&D's iconic creatures, like the Tarrasque, are actually borrowed directly from human mythology, which can always be mined for fantastical elements.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:19 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
The general question has merit, but I feel like it's hard to come to an all-encompassing answer, so I'll reply with my take for your specific example.

Like, for instance, would you still call a spider-centaur a Drider, or would you prefer some other name? Would any other change be warranted, like maybe they'd be more like Quelaag, having an entire spider as their lower half (including mouth bits), and/or an elemental shift?

Since drider is literally a portmanteau of drow and spider, I'm guessing there'd be an ever stronger reason to change it than with tieflings and halflings. Humder would still be a bit on the nose, though you could go with Ummer, or choose another source for the name.

The two mouths bit I think is a Watsonian matter over a Doylist one: I wouldn't feel the need to change it just for resemble the original creature less, but there could be a chance to add interesting spins to the concept. Example: The human part is an appendage for the spidery main body to manipulate objects and maybe bait humans; as such, the human "half" lacks a brain and their eyes and mouth are mostly vestigial and crude-looking (if even present), so the spider mouth and eyes would be the real ones. Extra creepy on a visual level, and opens the road for truly inhuman characters. Two functional mouths could also work if the race is supposed to be a heavily magical one, if it's closely related to the Fae in-universe for example.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:15 pm 

I'd prefer the popular culture name for a spider centaur being an Arachne.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:22 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
I'd prefer the popular culture name for a spider centaur being an Arachne.

Seems most reasonable to me, though I'd like to see a spider-centaur in a return to Kamigawa with Tsuchigumo or Jorogumo in its name (similar to how some of the greek creatures in theros have generic types)

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:47 am 

Mind, when our comes to creature type, I think keeping spider and adding a class is the best way to go, rather than crafting a new creature type.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:19 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Barinellos wrote:
Mind, when our comes to creature type, I think keeping spider and adding a class is the best way to go, rather than crafting a new creature type.

I'd agree on the YMTC context, but not for the in-universe naming convention. One could go for "spiderfolk" and call it a day, but I'd keep the term for humanoid (if maybe with extra arms) and not kinda-centaur body types.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:24 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

I agree with that. Arasta of the Endless Web may not have a class but she's a humanoid spider with the typeline of spider.

Naming convention would be kind of plane-based. Like I don't think houndfolk out of Tarkir would be called Ainok. And Bug-taurs (type: insect) are "Nantuko" on Dominaria but "Kraul" on Ravnica.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:22 am 

I've long been a proponent of the separation of church and state, that is to say canon and our organisation.
But I've got a character who might have an interesting mini-story dossier that has percolated in my brain.

The catch to it is for it to work, I need a certain degree of canon adjacent material. His background would be deeply rooted in existent lore, but should not explicitly actually have any real overlap to speak of.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40