It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:08 pm 

I get there's a new character in the generator? :D

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Blink wants to cheat off of Asher’s test in Penelophine’s class. Hilariously, it was just an aptitude test!

Wait, that's a new entry!

:D

So, I've been reading through this thread from the beginning lately, mostly for the nostalgia, and it made me realize that it's been a LONG time since we've added any new prompts. And, with the M:EM High School now a thing, I felt it was perfect for some new prompts. I therefore spent a few hours yesterday writing three new ones, all M:EM High School based. Have fun, everyone!

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Scarlet really, really likes Aria. She drops numerous hints to her, but Aria isn’t interested. Aria happily agrees to take her on a date. Scar and Aria both have a wonderful time!

Isn't interested but agrees on taking her on a date? I'm very happy for both of them, but wut?

What can I say? High School makes no sense...

Quote:
Sundar Elarion attempts to explain simple logic to Ungar Landvik, but just creates a massive misunderstanding in the process.

Sundar: You want for people to witness "them", right?
Ungar: Right.
Sundar: But if you kill everyone on Dammerdall to summon them, who will be able to do the witnessing?
Ungar: You're right!
Sundar: Yes, and that means-
Ungar: I have to prepare a plane-wide enchantment to bind their spirits and turn them into ghosts! Thank you so much, I'd have ruined it all if it wasn't for you! *planeswalkes away*
Sundar: Antine, I'm afraid I know where we're traveling next.
Antine: *whimpers*

Ha!

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Lukas Harran develops a huge crush on Larasa Farleth. He shamelessly throws himself at her, but Larasa isn’t interested. Larasa happily agrees to take him on a date. Lukas and Larasa both have a great time, until they realize that neither of them brought any money!

The uninterested date again, there might be something wrong with the choosing code.

That's rando for you. There are ten different options for what that part of the prompt can be. In testing, there was one of those ten that almost never came up, for whatever reason.

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Morgan of Voor hopes Kalit Mudroha will ask him to the dance. He tries to write a love letter to him, but Aamir is totally crushing on Morgan. Kalit tries to make him feel better by taking him on a pity date. The date goes well, but Aamir secretly follows them, insanely jealous.

I... um... Morgan, didn't you have a girlfriend?
(this kind of prompt sounds like it could be a lot of fun)

Maybe they were on a break?

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Antine thinks Mattias the Tinkerer is TOTALLY cute. He tries to get Denner Fabellian to set him up with him, but an unfortunately timed fire drill ruins it. Mattias decides that Antine is actually really perspicacious and asks him out on a date. To make things more comfortable, they turn it into a double date with Daneera and Kerik.

Again with Antine's convoluted schemes. But... what about Mari?

...Is Antine turning into a playboy?!

He can be anything he wants to be...when the Generator is involved...

Here's some that I got. This first one is one of the first I got when testing the prompt:

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Aloise Hartley is convinced that Beryl, the Heart-Scarred likes her. She shamelessly throws herself at her, but makes a huge embarrassment out of herself. Beryl tries to make her feel better by taking her on a pity date. Surprisingly, the date is a complete success, and Aloise and Beryl decide to continue dating!

<3

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Mari Gwynn wants to cheat off of Mattias the Tinkerer’s test in Clade’s class. Mattias is conflicted, but ultimately relents.

Don't give into peer pressure, Matt!

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Antine and Morgezka Shanak get into a fight in the parking lot. This starts a massive melee amongst the students.

I can't help but feel that the Rulus twins had something to do with this.

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Lukas Harran thinks Mattias the Tinkerer is TOTALLY cute. He tries to flirt with him, but Mattias is dating Scarlet. Mattias begrudgingly takes Lukas on a pity date. The date goes just fine until Blink arrives to cause trouble.

Poor Scar. And Lukas and Mattias, I guess!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:57 pm 

Let's do a few more of these, shall we?

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Urassaya Vath wants to date Larasa Farleth. She tries to flirt with her, but Antine is totally crushing on Larasa. Larasa happily agrees to take her on a date. The date goes well, but Antine secretly follows them, insanely jealous.

Antine's at it again, apparently. I don't foresee this ending well.

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Lia Xin picks a fight with Larasa Farleth before school. Lia wins decisively.

Bad week for Larasa. Torn between Morgan, Urassaya, and Antine, and then beaten up by Lia Xin.

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Jade wants to date Aloise Hartley. She tries to lock herself in a closet with her, but an unfortunately timed fire drill ruins it. Aloise decides that Jade is actually really loquacious and asks her out on a date. Jade and Aloise both have a great time, until they realize that neither of them brought any money!

I'm going to assume that this is pre-Beryl's enrollment in the school. I like that Aloise likes Jade because she's loquacious...

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Narissa Enshar orchestrates a fight between Morgezka Shanak and Morgan of Voor. Mr. Landvik breaks up the fight, and gives both Morgezka and Morgan detention for two weeks!

I feel like Morgan's pretty lucky that Mr. Landvik was there. Also, Narissa, that seems...un-nice.

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Denner Fabellian thinks Jackie DeCoeur is TOTALLY cute. He shamelessly throws himself at her, but Denner is clearly trying way too hard. Jackie loses a bet with Renn Winmoore and has to take Denner on a date. During the date, though, Denner realizes that Jackie isn’t really that great after all!

Denner: "Did you know that in nearly all dominant cultures, eye color is considered one of the top three desirable facial features? In order of common desirability, eye colors go...um, are you okay?"
Jackie: "Yeah, no, keep talking. I need to crack the knuckles in my fist, and I need something hard to crack them against. Like your skull, for instance."
Denner: "Oh, well, look at the time!"

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Aamir wants to cheat off of Renn Winmoore’s test in Raleris, the Lorekeeper’s class. Renn allows it, but snitches to the teacher after class!

If you are not picturing Raleris calling up Lady Kaguya to inform her of her son's malfeasance, you're doing it wrong.

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Sava Pith wants to cheat off of Daneera’s test in Eyeless’s class. Daneera has no moral qualms about this whatsoever.

Daneera: "Based on the things Ms. Eyeless has said about forests, she deserves whatever she gets."

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:35 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Quote:
Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Urassaya Vath wants to date Larasa Farleth. She tries to flirt with her, but Antine is totally crushing on Larasa. Larasa happily agrees to take her on a date. The date goes well, but Antine secretly follows them, insanely jealous.

Yeah, no, Antine is about to get a lesson somewhere down the line. Urassaya and Larasa sound like a cute couple to me. Morgan and Larasa really are on a break, apparently.

Quote:
Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Narissa Enshar orchestrates a fight between Morgezka Shanak and Morgan of Voor. Mr. Landvik breaks up the fight, and gives both Morgezka and Morgan detention for two weeks!

I feel like Morgan's pretty lucky that Mr. Landvik was there. Also, Narissa, that seems...un-nice.

I'm stuck at what use could Ungar be in a school, to be honest...

Quote:
Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Aamir wants to cheat off of Renn Winmoore’s test in Raleris, the Lorekeeper’s class. Renn allows it, but snitches to the teacher after class!

If you are not picturing Raleris calling up Lady Kaguya to inform her of her son's malfeasance, you're doing it wrong.

Ha!

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Aria develops a huge crush on Hanara. She tries to get Jackie DeCoeur to set her up with her, but Chardis sabotages everything. Hanara happily agrees to take her on a date. The date goes just fine until Huinn arrives to cause trouble.

Talk about star-crossed romance... or a hexed one, if you like.

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Beryl, the Heart-Scarred hopes Sorinne Datharius will ask her to the dance. She publicly confesses her love to her, but Sorinne isn’t interested. Sorinne decides to give her a chance by taking her on a date. Things get extremely awkward when Dorn crashes the date.

Dorn would be so polite around those two...

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Kahr-ret-Taris is convinced that Blink likes him. He tries to write a love letter to her, but Kahr is clearly trying way too hard. Blink tries to make him feel better by taking him on a pity date. During the date, though, Kahr realizes that Blink isn’t really that great after all!

Yes, she was so very interested because Kahr recently had his eye accidentally scratched by Sharaka during wrestling practice and had to wear a bandage... also, HS Kahr swings a bit both ways, apparently.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:27 am 

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, no, Antine is about to get a lesson somewhere down the line. Urassaya and Larasa sound like a cute couple to me. Morgan and Larasa really are on a break, apparently.

Well, remember that Urassaya's culture wants two females and two males in a coterie. Maybe Urassaya wants Larasa AND Morgan. And hey, maybe Antine's going to find his way into that fourth spot!

Quote:
Quote:

I'm stuck at what use could Ungar be in a school, to be honest...

Maybe he teaches an AP Anthropology class. The day he brings out those ancient artifacts is a real killer...

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Beryl, the Heart-Scarred hopes Sorinne Datharius will ask her to the dance. She publicly confesses her love to her, but Sorinne isn’t interested. Sorinne decides to give her a chance by taking her on a date. Things get extremely awkward when Dorn crashes the date.

Dorn would be so polite around those two...

:shudder:

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Kahr-ret-Taris is convinced that Blink likes him. He tries to write a love letter to her, but Kahr is clearly trying way too hard. Blink tries to make him feel better by taking him on a pity date. During the date, though, Kahr realizes that Blink isn’t really that great after all!

Yes, she was so very interested because Kahr recently had his eye accidentally scratched by Sharaka during wrestling practice and had to wear a bandage... also, HS Kahr swings a bit both ways, apparently.

According to the Generator, I think all of the students do, or at least can.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:35 am 

Quote:
Quote:

According to the Generator, I think all of the students do, or at least can.

Fair enough, I guess it's a period of experimentation for everyone :)

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:39 am 

Also, the alternative is a coding nightmare! :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:35 pm 

Identity: Human

What little I know of actual coding, I don't think it necessarily would be, but we're not really working with full code, just a random number generator. If we were using a text-adventure engine like Twine, I don't think it would be hard to keep the possibilities down, but I don't know if engines like Twine could randomize outputs like this.

QUICKEDIT: If I had a LOT more free time, I'd probably look over the generator again and probably try streamlining it a bit more (read: making it more modular) and possibly adding more prompts and such, but I'm also so behind on our canon that I no longer recognize a lot of the characters that are being talked about.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:16 pm 

What little I know of actual coding, I don't think it necessarily would be, but we're not really working with full code, just a random number generator. If we were using a text-adventure engine like Twine, I don't think it would be hard to keep the possibilities down, but I don't know if engines like Twine could randomize outputs like this.

In terms of the Generator we currently use, I feel like to make things gender and sexuality appropriate, we would need to separate the planeswalker lists into lists of male, female, and nonbinary, and then create a list of "likes male," "likes female," "likes all," and "likes none," and even then, for gay characters, there would be a high chance of calling themselves, which is not ideal. We would further need to change the prompts such that when it calls a student who "likes female," for instance, it would only pull from the list that identifies as female. I just don't think it would be worth the trouble for the relatively small gain.

QUICKEDIT: If I had a LOT more free time, I'd probably look over the generator again and probably try streamlining it a bit more (read: making it more modular) and possibly adding more prompts and such, but I'm also so behind on our canon that I no longer recognize a lot of the characters that are being talked about.

On this note, does anybody care if I cut the Clue prompt I wrote? I think it was vaguely amusing as a one-note joke, but nobody ever posts those, and the options are pretty limited anyway, so I feel we can do without that one. Would anybody miss it?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:23 pm 

I wouldn't miss it, but I'd comment it out so a revised "Clue" could be used as part of a broader prompt.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:19 pm 

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Sava Pith is convinced that Lukas Harran likes her. She tries to lock herself in a closet with him, but massively embarrasses herself. Lukas decides to give her a chance by taking her on a date. The date goes well, but Kahr secretly follows them, insanely jealous.

Yeah, I suppose he would be.

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Ethal wants to cheat off of Blink’s test in Fisco Vane, the Shark’s class. Blink is appalled that she would stoop to cheating!

You know you've stooped pretty low when Blink is appalled by your action.

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Alar is romantically interested in Hush-Hush. She tries to lock herself in a closet with them, but Alar is clearly trying way too hard. As it happens, Hush-Hush is available next Friday, and so agrees to a date with Alar. Surprisingly, the date is a complete success, and Alar and Hush-Hush decide to continue dating!

Ahh, well, that's cute. It would be interesting to explore the mechanics of, well, never mind...

Quote:
On the continent of Otaria, Aloise Hartley saves Lumina Revelaris's life.

May I just make the suggestion that neither of you ever visit that hellhole ever again?

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Gruff tricks Urassaya Vath into going with him to the Enchanted Forest dance. But on the night of the dance, Gruff’s outfit doesn’t fit! Now what?

This is not a concern that I thought Gruff would have.

Quote:
Coincidentally, The Eightfold Lotus and Ygraine of Segovia both end up on Aliavelli. There, Jinsen is attacked by a Minotaur Warrior, but Ygraine manages to save him just in time.

This seems very unlikely. I mean, are there even Minotaurs on Aliavelli? :paranoid:

Quote:
Thorneau is under attack! Mattias the Tinkerer must gather allies such as Blink before it's too late, but Mattias is hampered when he suffers from an erratic mutation at the hands of Aurélie Cerveau.

Well, we know Blink's been there before. Also, wow, Aurélie is playing dirty these days.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:24 pm 

Identity: Human
I was going to comment "communism is just a red herring," but curiosity led me to check the source code for this generator.

Who the heck wrote that opening guide? And why do I feel like it was me?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:46 pm 

I was going to comment "communism is just a red herring," but curiosity led me to check the source code for this generator.

Who the heck wrote that opening guide? And why do I feel like it was me?

I am fairly certain that you wrote most or all of that guide, yes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:55 pm 

Quote:
Beryl, the Heart-Scarred finds herself in command of a very strange army comprised of Elder Miniature Vedalken Assembly-Workers, Pegasus Deserters, Insects, and even Graveborn Drake Rogues.

Beryl awoke in a cold sweat. Suddenly, Aloise was by her side.

"Did you have the dream again?" She asked, her concern evident in her voice.

"Well," Beryl said, "I had a dream, anyway..."

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Morgan of Voor picks a fight with Dorn in the cafeteria. During the fight, Antine somehow manages to get injured.

:lol:

Quote:
The Multiversal Prom is coming up on Adrisar! But Antine doesn't have a date! He asks Yeong Eode to the Prom. But Yeong Eode is suffering from a Werewolf bite and will only go if Antine defeats Chardis of the Dual-Walkers for causing such hardship! Things get more complicated when Phyrexia crashes the Prom! The 'rexies spike the punch with Glistening Oil, causing some of the partygoers to be Compleated! When Antine's date starts to feel sick, Antine doesn't know what to do!

:takei:

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Oleetaka wants to cheat off of Hanara’s test in Ellia the Endbringer’s class. Hanara was actually hoping she could cheat off of Oleetaka!

You kids really need to study.

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Chardis Rulus picks a fight with Kimberley Talon in the halls. Fortunately, Aloise manages to convince everyone to calm down.

This seems exceedingly likely.

Quote:
The multiverse has it out for Kahr, as Penelophine curses him with mana color inversion. Poor Kahr now is left suffering on Helkavin.

Well, that certainly re-contextualizes Kahr's origin story...

Quote:
Kahr-ret-Taris throws a party on Tarkir. He invites Urassaya Vath, Eyeless, Zhiran and The Shifter, but Tarkir mysteriously explodes!

Good riddance!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:50 am 

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Morgan of Voor picks a fight with Dorn in the cafeteria. During the fight, Antine somehow manages to get injured.

:lol:

That definitely sounds like a rumor going around the school, true or not...

Quote:
Quote:
The Multiversal Prom is coming up on Adrisar! But Antine doesn't have a date! He asks Yeong Eode to the Prom. But Yeong Eode is suffering from a Werewolf bite and will only go if Antine defeats Chardis of the Dual-Walkers for causing such hardship! Things get more complicated when Phyrexia crashes the Prom! The 'rexies spike the punch with Glistening Oil, causing some of the partygoers to be Compleated! When Antine's date starts to feel sick, Antine doesn't know what to do!

:takei:

Is this karma for hitting on half the school?

Quote:
Annalee V'ray has a secret admirer! After receiving several gifts, Annalee discovers the secret admirer is Raleris, the Lorekeeper! Annalee is ecstatic!

Didn't know she had a thing for older men! But I guess it's a nice change from her last lover...

Quote:
After having a strange dream, Zhiran decides to search for a mysterious treasure on Arbagoth. For the sake of safety, Zhiran brings a wide variety of spells and weapons. After a long and eventful adventure, he finally reaches a remote island. After hours of searching, he finds his treasure! Triumphantly, Zhiran raises a long-forgotten book of spells over his head!

The incredible adventures of Zhiran's Tuesday :D

(I'm definitely for taking out or heavily editing the Clue prompt)

Quote:
The paths of fate have converged and Cara Holis joins forces with Raiker Venn because of the machinations of Elphimas.

What's The Playwright up to these days? :huh:

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Mattias the Tinkerer and Huinn Darkwings get into a fight behind the bleachers. After a hard-fought fight, Mattias wins.

Well done, Mattias!

Quote:
The multiverse has it out for Jinsen, as Clade and Chardis of the Dual-Walkers catches up to him. Poor Jinsen now is left suffering on Iun Ilana.

Oof, that sounds like a challenge even for our unbeatable swordsman...

Quote:
Fisco Vane, the Shark spends an afternoon watching a rainbow with a newly ascended Planeswalker: an Ouphe!

Tulemnak's descendant, maybe?

Quote:
Chardis of the Dual-Walkers begins searching for The Nocturne Wheel. But things are rarely simple and matters take a serious turn when Ungar Landvik appears too. Now Chardis has a difficult choice to make.

That could be pretty interesting...

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:58 am 

... does anybody care if I cut the Clue prompt I wrote? I think it was vaguely amusing as a one-note joke, but nobody ever posts those, and the options are pretty limited anyway, so I feel we can do without that one. Would anybody miss it?

I wouldn't miss it, but I'd comment it out so a revised "Clue" could be used as part of a broader prompt.

(I'm definitely for taking out or heavily editing the Clue prompt)

Based on this feedback, I have removed the Clue prompt and placed it in a $Removed section, in case anyone ever wants it back in or wants to edit it. Running through the prompts, there are some others that I wouldn't mind dropping, but they were not all written by me, so I wouldn't want to drop them without the say-so of the original writer. I wouldn't mind dropping the "Planar Guide" prompt, which I believe Lord Luna put in based on Arcades Sabboth's Random Plane Generator. I'd also be alright dropping Barinellos's "Katamari" prompt. As for mine, I'd be fine losing the "Side Quest" prompt and the "Zelda" prompt (the one that always ends with someone holding a treasure over their head).

I'm fine with keeping any of those, too, if people like them. But if not, I'm fine with dropping them.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:28 pm 

I wouldn't mind dropping the "Planar Guide" prompt, which I believe Lord Luna put in based on Arcades Sabboth's Random Plane Generator. I'd also be alright dropping Barinellos's "Katamari" prompt. As for mine, I'd be fine losing the "Side Quest" prompt and the "Zelda" prompt (the one that always ends with someone holding a treasure over their head).

I'm fine with keeping any of those, too, if people like them. But if not, I'm fine with dropping them.

My take on this:
-the Zelda one is fun from time to time, especially when ridiculously dangerous artifacts come up.
-The "Side Quest" one (which I assume it the one where the first character keeps being redirected to do random stuff) is sometimes fun to read, but not really noteworthy.
-If the Katamari prompt is the one where a bunch of people are rolled up in a ball, I agree with you.
-Same for the Planar Guide, I find myself skipping it whenever it comes up.

Basically, the longer the prompt is, the easier it can fall flat. The Aubedore readings are also rather long and I often quickly skim through them, but from time to time interesting combinations come up, like with the Zelda prompt. The Prom one is also somewhat long, but it has a load of variations that keep it interesting.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:59 pm 

I'm kind of cool with Zelda, though it could do with more variation, possibly tooling it into a "treasure hunt".

The sidequest chain often has decent components, but the whole thing isn't super amusing. I think it's fine, though.

The Katamari prompt I feel was when the people with access were on a kick for prompts centered around a particular protagonist, and it was the one for Ygraine. Honestly, those usually get stale kind of fast and the Katamari is no different. It was really fun to come across the first time, though!

I actually think the Planar Guide is a great idea... but it needs more to it, and possibly structured random. The idea that we can use this little prompt generator to (in some senses) procedural generate a *plane* is exciting, and I think we could get it there, but it might be worth spinning ff and it would be a lot of work.

Speaking of a lot of work, I still remember writing up the Prom prompt. It didn't work right at first, I'm still not sure it totally calls right... but I'm really happy with the reception. The structure is fairly simple; It sets a pair as attending on a random plane, possibly calls a complication for the date, and then calls a complication for the Prom itself. Sometimes this results in wonky stuff like mentioning a date in the prom complication when the Date Complication seems terminal or leaves the identity of the final date ambiguous, but I'm rather gratified by moments like Raven's recently where I think we had the first posted call of Phyrexia spiking the punch. Or if it's not the first, it's been a long time, enough that it feels 'fresh'.

I think the key is: the more structure you add to the mad libs, the more variations on that structure you need. The Prom is super regimented, but I also knew from the start I wanted it to be diverse because I wanted to include all the insane High School Prom tropes I could jam in there -- not necessarily in one call, but available to be called from. Clue was also super regimented, but had a very limited random, which meant that once you'd seen the Clue prompt, you'd kind of seen the Clue prompt. Aubedore looks structured, but really it's calling from a fairly large deck of random entries into a variety of positions where order matters, so there are a lot combinations. It's not the same kind of structure.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:15 pm 

I actually think the Planar Guide is a great idea... but it needs more to it, and possibly structured random. The idea that we can use this little prompt generator to (in some senses) procedural generate a *plane* is exciting, and I think we could get it there, but it might be worth spinning ff and it would be a lot of work.

Maybe there could be an independent generator for it? I mean, a plane guide it's not a Plot, and is rather different from most other prompts.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:08 am 

-the Zelda one is fun from time to time, especially when ridiculously dangerous artifacts come up.

I'm kind of cool with Zelda, though it could do with more variation, possibly tooling it into a "treasure hunt".

It has some good stuff in there, but I agree that it could have more variety.

-The "Side Quest" one (which I assume it the one where the first character keeps being redirected to do random stuff) is sometimes fun to read, but not really noteworthy.

The sidequest chain often has decent components, but the whole thing isn't super amusing. I think it's fine, though.

Again, I think it could use some expanding to make some more interesting and diverse combinations, so it's not the same basic thing over and over.

-If the Katamari prompt is the one where a bunch of people are rolled up in a ball, I agree with you.

The Katamari prompt I feel was when the people with access were on a kick for prompts centered around a particular protagonist, and it was the one for Ygraine. Honestly, those usually get stale kind of fast and the Katamari is no different. It was really fun to come across the first time, though!

Yeah, it's one of those that has a number of fun references to it, but ultimately a lot of sameness between iterations.

-Same for the Planar Guide, I find myself skipping it whenever it comes up.

I think I'm the one who originally did the naming aspect of that prompt, which I think could use some work. It calls mostly unpronounceable names far more often than I would like.

Basically, the longer the prompt is, the easier it can fall flat. The Aubedore readings are also rather long and I often quickly skim through them, but from time to time interesting combinations come up, like with the Zelda prompt. The Prom one is also somewhat long, but it has a load of variations that keep it interesting.

Speaking of a lot of work, I still remember writing up the Prom prompt. It didn't work right at first, I'm still not sure it totally calls right... but I'm really happy with the reception. The structure is fairly simple; It sets a pair as attending on a random plane, possibly calls a complication for the date, and then calls a complication for the Prom itself. Sometimes this results in wonky stuff like mentioning a date in the prom complication when the Date Complication seems terminal or leaves the identity of the final date ambiguous, but I'm rather gratified by moments like Raven's recently where I think we had the first posted call of Phyrexia spiking the punch. Or if it's not the first, it's been a long time, enough that it feels 'fresh'.

I think the key is: the more structure you add to the mad libs, the more variations on that structure you need. The Prom is super regimented, but I also knew from the start I wanted it to be diverse because I wanted to include all the insane High School Prom tropes I could jam in there -- not necessarily in one call, but available to be called from. Clue was also super regimented, but had a very limited random, which meant that once you'd seen the Clue prompt, you'd kind of seen the Clue prompt. Aubedore looks structured, but really it's calling from a fairly large deck of random entries into a variety of positions where order matters, so there are a lot combinations. It's not the same kind of structure.

Yeah, I think that the secret to a good prompt is that it feels different. Some of the shorter, simple prompts are often some of the most interesting, like [planeswalker] meets [planeswalker], which gets people thinking. For the bigger ones, I agree that it's important that they feel different, like the Prom prompt. Like you said, I think the Aubedore reading prompts achieve that by the variety in the cards, if not in the form itself.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:08 pm 

Quote:
The paths of fate have converged and Aloise Hartley apparently is deceived by Syl of the Dual-Walkers but is secretly being manipulated by Mari Gwynn because of the machinations of Maral, Celestial Wright.

I...see.

Quote:
Coincidentally, Cyrryc Adda and Lady Nasina both end up on Dammerdall. There, they hear a strange tale told by a talking cloud. In the tale, it seems that The Coin of Eirene has resurfaced from the depths of history, and now Ellia the Endbringer planeswalks to the wasteland plane of Gastal in search of it. However, neither Cyrryc nor Nasina care about the tale, and they both remain on Dammerdall.

I wonder if the talking cloud feels bad that nobody cares about its story.

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Oleetaka and Ygraine of Segovia get into a fight before school. During the fight, Antine somehow manages to get injured.

I assume Oleetaka aimed a bit too high for a punch...

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Antine tricks Ethal into going with him to the Enchantment Under the Sea dance. Now Ethal needs to learn how to dance, and fast!

I have to imagine that dancing on land with a mermaid fin would be exceedingly difficult.

Quote:
In the M:EM High School, Donagut wants to cheat off of Jade’s test in The Eightfold Lotus’s class. Jade is conflicted, fearful that Mr. Lotus will notice.

With that dude's hearing, he probably overheard the entire conversation.

Quote:
Coincidentally, Ethal and Fisco Vane, the Shark both end up on Aldis. There, Fisco is attacked by a Plant Ape, but Ethal manages to save him just in time.

Plant Ape? You finally, really did it. You maniacs!

Quote:
Beryl, the Heart-Scarred wants to learn about where to find Kahr-ret-Taris, and so interrupts a battle between Lady Nasina and Cyrryc Adda. However, Cyrryc is suffering from mana backlash, and will only help Beryl if she goes to the first sphere of Phyrexia to see Eyeless about a cure. Eyeless knows about the cure, but will only give it to Beryl if she can locate The Staff of Endless Memory. Beryl searches for it on Aldis, but only finds a pincher. At this point, Beryl gives up on this side quest.

I have to say, this Nasina/Adda feud makes a whole lot of sense.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next