It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:33 pm 

Here's a little one that came to me today, in kind of a rush. It features a familiar face, so I hope people may enjoy it. :)

The Snitch

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:55 pm 

@Orcish: :hattip:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:54 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Spoiler

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:52 am 

Identity: Male
I love it. Nicely done, Orcish.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:46 am 

Hah!

Thanks for the hat tip, Raven! :D

I love it. Nicely done, Orcish.

Thanks for the very kind words, CKY -- I'm really glad that you liked the story!

I like it so much! It was halfway through the first section that I realized who the girl was - that is to say, I realized that her eyes were not simply bloodied for the beating but naturally red. I guess after Rest for the Wicked happened such pulpy serials have had their roles inverted...

Thank you, Huey, for the very kind words -- I really happy that you enjoyed the story!

And, yeah, there's something that's very kind of heartening to me about the image of young Jackie, who is sort of trapped in her own little Hellscape, courtesy of the Sisters of Angelic Mercy, taking this sort of formulaic, white-hat-versus-black-hat dime Western, and, even though she can't read the book, instead of that cutting off her avenue for escape, it actually sort of liberates her, to take these pictures, and to build her own story around them -- to sort of create a narrative for herself, and for her own future, in a way that maybe she couldn't if she could actually read the "real story."

And, as I was sort of thinking about that idea, I was reminded of how, when you're young, even the most mundane sorts of things -- a yellowed book, a tattered hat -- can assume this sort of vital, totemic importance, once they become markers for your sense of self, for your dreams.

And then the story just sort of spun itself out from there, and I did my best to keep up. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:52 am 

Hah!

Thanks for the hat tip, Raven! :D

:D

And, yeah, there's something that's very kind of heartening to me about the image of young Jackie, who is sort of trapped in her own little Hellscape, courtesy of the Sisters of Angelic Mercy, taking this sort of formulaic, white-hat-versus-black-hat dime Western, and, even though she can't read the book, instead of that cutting off her avenue for escape, it actually sort of liberates her, to take these pictures, and to build her own story around them -- to sort of create a narrative for herself, and for her own future, in a way that maybe she couldn't if she could actually read the "real story."

I loved that the Ridder on the cover is a fox in white. I bet Little Jackie never thought she'd grow up into a woman in black...who actually WANTS to get caught by the white (silver) fox. ;)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:14 pm 

I loved that the Ridder on the cover is a fox in white. I bet Little Jackie never thought she'd grow up into a woman in black...who actually WANTS to get caught by the white (silver) fox.

Hah -- I never made that connection.

I love these little accidental symmetries. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:17 pm 

I loved that the Ridder on the cover is a fox in white. I bet Little Jackie never thought she'd grow up into a woman in black...who actually WANTS to get caught by the white (silver) fox.

Hah -- I never made that connection.

I love these little accidental symmetries. :)

Now I'm just picturing Trotter going through an old trunk at the ranch and finding a VERY beaten up copy of that book, and asking Jackie about it. It may or may not lead to some role-playing that night...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:21 pm 

I shall say, Orcish, good show! It's basically always a treat to hear from Jackie :)

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:36 pm 

I shall say, Orcish, good show! It's basically always a treat to hear from Jackie :)

Thanks so much for reading, Tevish, and for the very kind words -- I'm really glad that you enjoyed the story!

It's a treat for me, too. :) I try to let Jackie enjoy her hard-earned retirement these days, so, when she drops by, as it were, it honestly feels like getting a visit from an old friend.

Corny as Hell, I know, but I'm a corny sort of orc.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:08 pm 

Corny as Hell, I know, but I'm a corny sort of orc.

There must be something seriously wrong with me, because this line, and this line only, makes me want to create a lecherous character named Kell, so that people can be Corny as Hell, or Horny as Kell.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:36 am 

Here's another little one that came up in the context of something else.

The Sentence

Last edited by OrcishLibrarian on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:54 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Ouch, my heart. Still hella sweet, thank you for sharing.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:51 pm 

:cry: Beyond the obvious tragedy of separating the sisters, we now know that Elise could have been happy in the Tower, and we see more evidence that Margot would have been such a great leader.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to notice a pattern in my own writing, where short scenes end on cliffhangers:
Chopper Rescue

Maybe it works if the big question is answered by a future scene, though. :huh:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:57 pm 

@The Sentence: I like this story a lot. It showcases all the great things about the LaRoux sisters, as well as the heartache that became synonymous with them, sadly. I love all these little vignettes of the LaRoux household. We shall have to do a sort of mini-anthology of them at some point.

Which reminds me, I don't think I ever posted that one I wrote a while back, did I? I'll have to do that.

:plot:

Oh, I did catch one typo, when Margot says "Arrangements will made." - I think you meant "will be made."

@Chopper Rescue: It should come as no surprise to anyone that I like the punny title. But I suspect you are right; I think this would work well as part of a larger whole, but as a microfic, I don't think it's doing enough of what you likely want it to do. But I think once it finds the rest of itself, you'll be golden.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:29 pm 

Ouch, my heart. Still hella sweet, thank you for sharing.

Thanks so much for reading, Huey, and for the comment!

My reaction is similar to yours -- this one hurts, but it also puts a sad kind of smile on my face.

Brentain wrote:
Beyond the obvious tragedy of separating the sisters, we now know that Elise could have been happy in the Tower, and we see more evidence that Margot would have been such a great leader.

Thanks a ton for reading, Brentain, and for the comments!

And, yeah, there really is a strange sort of irony in the fact that Margot and Brigitte go to such lengths to save Elise from the tower -- which they assume is a terrible, lonesome place, and they have every reason to make that assumption -- when, in reality, the tower is no such thing.

It's hard to imagine just how differently things might have turned out, had Elise been in the Tower of Tears, and not hiding in Mont-sur-Mer...

And, yeah, every impression I get of Margot was that she was a genuinely good person. I am reminded of Brigitte's assessment, that Margot was "easy to love." The riding accident which took her seems to loom very large in the web of what-might-have-beens surrounding the family LaRoux.

Brentain wrote:
Meanwhile, I'm starting to notice a pattern in my own writing, where short scenes end on cliffhangers:

I don't know if you're anything like me, but I have this problem all the time, where the first threads of stories which come into my head always seem to be from the middle of the tale, and I then have to try to follow them forward and backwards to figure out what the beginning is, and the end.

Anyway, I'm excited by your little slice from the middle, here! I'm very interested to find out what the beginning was, and what the end will be!

@The Sentence: I like this story a lot. It showcases all the great things about the LaRoux sisters, as well as the heartache that became synonymous with them, sadly. I love all these little vignettes of the LaRoux household. We shall have to do a sort of mini-anthology of them at some point.

Which reminds me, I don't think I ever posted that one I wrote a while back, did I? I'll have to do that.

Ack! Somehow, in my Swiss-cheese-memory, I thought that you had posted it!

Sorry, Raven -- if I'd realized that yours was still in the on-deck circle, I wouldn't have put this one up!

Anyway, thanks for reading -- as always -- and for the comments -- as always!

Especially since you know the particular seed from which this little episode sprouted... :D

Oh, I did catch one typo, when Margot says "Arrangements will made." - I think you meant "will be made."

D'oh! Fixed.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:37 pm 

Ack! Somehow, in my Swiss-cheese-memory, I thought that you had posted it!

Sorry, Raven -- if I'd realized that yours was still in the on-deck circle, I wouldn't have put this one up!

:ookay:

I don't see any problem. It just reminded me that I hadn't posted it. I posted "Little White Lies," which is the one where Robert takes the girls to the fair (that rhymes if you're doing it right!) But I haven't posted "Play" yet. I should do that one of these days. If I can find it... :wha:

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:53 pm 

I don't see any problem. It just reminded me that I hadn't posted it. I posted "Little White Lies," which is the one where Robert takes the girls to the fair (that rhymes if you're doing it right!) But I haven't posted "Play" yet. I should do that one of these days. If I can find it...

Is that one in my inbox? I'm sure I can find it!

So, I have something of a question for the Hive Mind. I was going back through this thread the other day, and I realized that I'm approaching a critical mass of stories in this chain which I actually am very fond of, and which I think I'd like to try to move over into the Archive. But I'm interested in what people think the best way to do that would be.

The last two times I put short-shorts up for a vote, I sort of grouped them together into clusters. ("Six-Shooter," and the two Haru stories.) And I sort of like that approach, because I sort of like presenting them as little collections.

But the connective tissue between the next group of stories is maybe a little thinner? In which case, would people prefer to have them grouped as another, say, six-pack? Or would people rather vote on individual stories?

I don't want to flood the voting threads, but I also don't want to put up a bit of an ecclectic collection if that's likely to turn people off. I sort of like it, but I'm willing to be wrong.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:06 pm 

I don't see any problem. It just reminded me that I hadn't posted it. I posted "Little White Lies," which is the one where Robert takes the girls to the fair (that rhymes if you're doing it right!) But I haven't posted "Play" yet. I should do that one of these days. If I can find it...

Is that one in my inbox? I'm sure I can find it!

Thanks, but I have it. It's just on a different computer than the one I was on yesterday.

So, I have something of a question for the Hive Mind. I was going back through this thread the other day, and I realized that I'm approaching a critical mass of stories in this chain which I actually am very fond of, and which I think I'd like to try to move over into the Archive. But I'm interested in what people think the best way to do that would be.

The last two times I put short-shorts up for a vote, I sort of grouped them together into clusters. ("Six-Shooter," and the two Haru stories.) And I sort of like that approach, because I sort of like presenting them as little collections.

But the connective tissue between the next group of stories is maybe a little thinner? In which case, would people prefer to have them grouped as another, say, six-pack? Or would people rather vote on individual stories?

I don't want to flood the voting threads, but I also don't want to put up a bit of an ecclectic collection if that's likely to turn people off. I sort of like it, but I'm willing to be wrong.

Personally, I like collections to be at least somewhat connected. Partially, this goes back to my Graduate school days, where my Master's Thesis was on the importance of maintain the original order of poetic sequences, and partially it's because they will be sort of forever grouped together after the vote if they go up as one. Six-Shooter works as a collection because of the common theme of Jakkard. The Haru stories work together because they're both about Haru, and the second is a direct consequence of the first.

I don't have a perfect recollection of all of the stories that you are including in this list, but I would say that most of them would be better off apart from one another, with perhaps one or two exceptions. I don't see a problem with a bunch of voting threads going up when the majority of them are quite short anyway.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:15 pm 

And, just so people don't think I'm withholding anything from them, here is the story I was talking about. It's very short, but I hope you enjoy it!

Play

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next