It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:04 pm 

I'm not crying! You're crying!

Those aren't tears, they're just... extra-shiny spots on my cheeks.

:cry:

And there's something eerily powerful about imagining Margot and Brigitte's spirits now, still in that little chapel, still thinking of Elise, but no longer wishing to be together -- not just now, not just yet. Someday, to be sure. But not yet.

And I'm just saying that if anyone wanted to paint this scene, with Margot and Brigitte looking all blue and transparent like a Jedi ghost, I would not be opposed to the idea.

Ooh; I'd be tempted, if I believed I could do it justice. Meanwhile, birds give me far less trouble than mammals, people are a disaster, and don't even get me started on transparency...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:58 pm 

I hope that we one day have a little anthology of stories and microfics all about the LaRoux family. We're well on our way, I think, but we could probably use a few more happy memories from their past.

*nods solemnly*

Thanks for reading, Orcish!

Thank you for sharing!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:06 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Spoilers for Burning Home, a story I still have to write.
Cycles

I made myself cry again.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:21 pm 

@Cycles: I really like the tone of this piece. It's really interesting to see Sharaka pulled in two directions like this, torn between duty and preference, so to speak, and that underlying theme of catastrophe. I also think that Elphimas's detachment is played well here, and as in Healing Paths, I really like how alien Elphimas is to Sharaka, and their continued companionship is pretty interesting to watch.

Also, Elphimas reminded me of Denner for a minute there. I'm reminded of the opening scene of "Blood Price," where Denner is sitting in his library, surrounded by books he had no further need for, because he had them all memorized. I've always found something strangely appealing in that visual, and the image of Elphimas just sort of reading their book is oddly cute to me for some reason.

Thanks for posting, Huey!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:59 am 

I also think that Elphimas's detachment is played well here, and as in Healing Paths, I really like how alien Elphimas is to Sharaka, and their continued companionship is pretty interesting to watch.

They're very related to their mana colors and they have completely different backgrounds, so it stands to reason that their initial interactions can have some wrinkles to smooth out. They both can sense the other's goodwill, though, and that's what matters in the end.

Quote:
Also, Elphimas reminded me of Denner for a minute there. I'm reminded of the opening scene of "Blood Price," where Denner is sitting in his library, surrounded by books he had no further need for, because he had them all memorized. I've always found something strangely appealing in that visual, and the image of Elphimas just sort of reading their book is oddly cute to me for some reason.

It's definitely an interesting image. To echo Sharaka's words, maybe he doesn't need them, but she cares for them.

Elphimas' memory, while very accurate in many aspects, is not as perfect as Denner's; that said, any technical book in the Azure Vault is definitely there mostly for safekeeping. "Oddly cute" is what I'm aiming for with Elphimas as a character (when he's not stumbling into villains and giving them information), so I must be doing something right :D

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:26 pm 

I feel that the closest thing Sharaka could get to a shot at happiness would be running into Morgan. Being able to either hand over her burden, or at least learn how to carry it better, from a willing and trained lorekeeper would mean much, I think. The fact that he can relate to the pressure of being the last keeper of a whole civilisation is just a bonus at that point.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:57 am 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
I feel that the closest thing Sharaka could get to a shot at happiness would be running into Morgan. Being able to either hand over her burden, or at least learn how to carry it better, from a willing and trained lorekeeper would mean much, I think. The fact that he can relate to the pressure of being the last keeper of a whole civilisation is just a bonus at that point.

I didn't thought about that particular encounter! It's a pretty intriguing idea, though to be honest I'd swap those points. Sharaka tends to underestimate and belittle herself, and knowing another who carries a similar burden would probably do wonders, even if I think they have different definitions of the term "lorekeeper".

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13