It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:56 am 

Maro slipped up saying vraska is the only bg planeswalker so maybe Garruk has been cured in r&d time

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:13 pm 

Or he just forgot, as he often does, and will correct himself when someone points it out.

Or he just doesn't consider Garruk a Green/Black character, but a Green character dealing with a Black afliction.

Don't read too much into it.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:55 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Flopfoot wrote:
Maro slipped up saying vraska is the only bg planeswalker so maybe Garruk has been cured in r&d time

Or maybe we'll never see Garruk again.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:05 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
Or he just forgot, as he often does, and will correct himself when someone points it out.

He did.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:54 am 

Garruk's Influence
Instant
Destroy target planeswalker or land. You gain life equal to that permanent's converted mana cost.
Draw a card at the beginning of the next end step.
"I didn't mean it, Garruk."
-Maro, last words.

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:49 pm 

BTW, I'm getting a serious vibe that the next multicolored set (which I suspect drops in Fall '18) will be hybrid.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:27 pm 

Didn't they learn their lesson about that in Shadowmoor? You can't do a multicolor set just around hybrid: the color pie breaks.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:17 pm 
Winner - CotY '16

The reason Shadowmoor broke the color pie is that there were too many "color matters" effects on multicolored cards. Specifically, ones that counted things like "If you control a (color) creature" as enough of a hoop to jump through to get abilities in that color's mechanical pie.

I've thought about how to do it "right" a bit too much when designing Sagathia though, so now I'm biased. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:53 pm 

Those weren't what I was considering (although they didn't help). I was thinking more about Augury Adept (which is still my most-hated card) and like things that just gave colors effects they shouldn't have without any color-matters shenanigans at all.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:31 pm 

Maybe it'll be gold-hybrid like Messenger Falcons

Straight hybrid has the constructed problem of cards being playable in too many decks (like in artifact sets) as well as the design problem already mentioned that it's hard to avoid color bending. They wouldn't do a set with shadowmoor levels of hybrid again.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:06 pm 

Gold-hybrid was only used because the "every card in Alara Reborn is gold" gimmick was causing problems. They don't make that sort of gimmick set anymore, so they don't need to resort to such measures.

A gold hybrid card really doesn't feel like hybrid. It's just a gold card you can use in slightly more decks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 pm 

Being able to be used in more decks than normal gold (but less than mono color) is a goal, not a resort. It could help in a set where you have five color pairs (eg. all ally colors) but you want people to play 2-color decks rather than 3. It was also sort of used in Fate Reforged (Yasova Dragonclaw, Warden of the First Tree) so that the cards would play well either in the enemy color environment of Khans or the ally color environment of Dragons.

It doesn't feel hybrid because as I said, hybrid is not something they want to do. I'll admit I thought it was cool that you could draft monocolor decks, so did Maro, but the general consensus was it wasn't worth the problems it caused.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:58 pm 

I don't get what people dislike about hybrid so much. In my opinion it's pretty easy to balance a hybrid card.
1. don't make a hybrid card do something that is normally outside the scope of any of the hybrid's component colors. (i.e. black/red creature burn is okay)
2. a hybrid card's power should be 10%-ish less than the appropriate monocolor card. More specifically, = :wu::wu:.
3. add a third color to the cost when you run out of ideas.

I'd say the first two parts of the RtR block were near hybrid sets in a sense. Also remember that Lowryn didn't have a lot of gold cards to balance out the hybrids, making most of the cards in the block disproportionately easier to cast than what they will be today.

I love hybrid and 3-color sets, so it makes me upset that I missed Alara (since I came in Gatecrash). The goldbrid cards are literally my favorite mechanic in the game.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:32 am 

Flopfoot wrote:
Being able to be used in more decks than normal gold (but less than mono color) is a goal, not a resort. It could help in a set where you have five color pairs (eg. all ally colors) but you want people to play 2-color decks rather than 3. It was also sort of used in Fate Reforged (Yasova Dragonclaw, Warden of the First Tree) so that the cards would play well either in the enemy color environment of Khans or the ally color environment of Dragons.

It doesn't feel hybrid because as I said, hybrid is not something they want to do. I'll admit I thought it was cool that you could draft monocolor decks, so did Maro, but the general consensus was it wasn't worth the problems it caused.

The problem with an all-gold set is that it made too many cards unplayable for a given deck. The normal solution to this would be to also include some mono-color, hybrid, or colorless cards. However, all of those violated the all-gold gimmick, so they weren't an option. Instead, they had to use the gold hybrid cards. That's what I meant by "resort".

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:21 am 

I get that, but it's not the only way they can be used

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:20 am 

You can make a pretty good hybrid set that's nothing like Shadowmoor...

...just like you can make a pretty good tribal set that's nothing like Lorwyn

The latter comes out tomorrow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:21 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Also shadowmoor is the best set

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:24 am 

I'm predicting a card named windmill slam or windmill slam dunk due to the comedic knight faction.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:55 pm 

Squee, Goblin Nabob reprint in Dominaria. You heard it here first.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:44 pm 

So - only 1 new mechanic in Rivals, and it's the more or less trivial one (ascend). By trivial I don't mean unimportant, I just mean that it's not very disruptive.
All the other mechanics return. Given the massive flop that was Ixalan limited (although sealed was OK as sealed goes), my guess is that that RIX/RIX/IXL is going to be be a much more polished and fun draft set.

I think one (the ONE?) of the reasons they dropped small sets was that it's impossible to make two good limited formats with a small/big combination. That being said, making 2 good ones is probably easier with 2 sets than 3.

I am going to ignore Khans block because it was a strange set, and 3xKTK was a great format; so diluting it had no chance.
OGW/OGW/BFZ draft *might* have been better than 3xBFZ draft but that's really only because they screwed up Green in BFZ.
SOI and ELM were pretty average sets but 3xSOI was better.
3xKLD was a great set, only made worse with AER (but AER/AER/KLD was at least average)
3xAKH was not great, but HOU/HOU/AKH was very good; a top 10 set.
And of course, 3xIXL was the worst set since at least 3xGTC.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next